weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2015 - Week 26 Animal added

I'm hoping to see them at the Eastbourne air show in August (!?). Hopefully the weather will be as good. Nice image Andrea; like the coloured trails showing their movement through the sky. Lovely.

Hi, the colour and exposure on broken are perfect certainly broken too, nice composition with the stones leading in from the bottom left corner

Entertain, great pic of the red arrows very nice catch of the smoke trails another well composed pic :clap:

Bizarre, some folk will do owt to save a few quid.

Broken, I do like these broken building. The light is quite harsh and I'd have take a little off the top, but an interesting and well composed submission.

Entertain, belter, well composed, nice clean sky and lovely reds.

Cheers.

Hi Andrea - wow, you've been busy

Household -nice take on the theme, I like it
Limit -crikey - is there anything you can do around there?
Bizarre - yes, and scary, but when you're young you feel you're indestructable ;)
Entertain - ooh I like that, really nice shot, well done (y)

Household: A lovely abstract image with good DOF.
Limit: You've answered your own questions really. Fine as it is. Good that you've explained where it is situated. All in focus.
Bizarre: Fits the theme with a nice story to it.
Entertain: I love watching the red arrows. Quite an art to get the arrows and their trails in focus. Great image.

Good stuff Andrea

Entertain is (y) But Broken's the pick of the bunch.

Hi Andrea - I am so glad I popped in your shots are really great! Loving the entertain one and the household. Super :)

Bizarre - That certainly is Bizarre and IoM seems to have the same lack of H&S as we do here in Spain. Railings, what railings - just don't be daft enough to fall off :p

Broken - yup, that qualifies. Lots of lovely detail in the foreground but the upper part of the sky looks a little too deep blue on my screen.

Entertain - Fantastic shot (y)

I'm hoping to see them at the Eastbourne air show in August (!?). Hopefully the weather will be as good. Nice image Andrea; like the coloured trails showing their movement through the sky. Lovely.

Thanks, Carl :) This was the image I hoped for, as I think it sums up the nature and precision of their always excellent displays. I hope you get to see them at Eastbourne.

Hi, the colour and exposure on broken are perfect certainly broken too, nice composition with the stones leading in from the bottom left corner

Entertain, great pic of the red arrows very nice catch of the smoke trails another well composed pic :clap:

Thanks Allan, glad you liked the composition of both, especially the little trail of stones leading in from the corner as it was hard to find a good angle on this little plot.

Bizarre, some folk will do owt to save a few quid.

Broken, I do like these broken building. The light is quite harsh and I'd have take a little off the top, but an interesting and well composed submission.

Entertain, belter, well composed, nice clean sky and lovely reds.

Cheers.

Thanks, Andy, I agree about the light in Broken as it was a really bright day and this is on the list for a return visit when the sun is low in the sky. Hopefully there should be some interesting shadows and angles then.

Love the Entertain image, great work Andrea.

Phil

Thanks, Phil :)

Hi Andrea - wow, you've been busy

Household -nice take on the theme, I like it
Limit -crikey - is there anything you can do around there?
Bizarre - yes, and scary, but when you're young you feel you're indestructable ;)
Entertain - ooh I like that, really nice shot, well done (y)

Thanks, Lorraine :) I know what you mean about Limit - as soon as I saw the sign the theme came to mind!

Household: A lovely abstract image with good DOF.
Limit: You've answered your own questions really. Fine as it is. Good that you've explained where it is situated. All in focus.
Bizarre: Fits the theme with a nice story to it.
Entertain: I love watching the red arrows. Quite an art to get the arrows and their trails in focus. Great image.

Thanks for looking in and commenting, Mandy (y)

Broken; very indeed. Nice clear sharp image.

Entertain; Good composition and beautiful colours too. You've caught it spot on with a nice colourful smoke trails. Red Arrows, unluckily I've only witnessed their display once.

Thank you, Stan, we are a bit cut off from most entertainment over here so we're lucky that the Red Arrows come us once a year and the weather was perfect for them.

Good stuff Andrea

Entertain is (y) But Broken's the pick of the bunch.

Thanks, David - glad you like it :)

Hi Andrea - I am so glad I popped in your shots are really great! Loving the entertain one and the household. Super :)

Thank you for the great feedback, Mich (y)

Bizarre - That certainly is Bizarre and IoM seems to have the same lack of H&S as we do here in Spain. Railings, what railings - just don't be daft enough to fall off :p

Broken - yup, that qualifies. Lots of lovely detail in the foreground but the upper part of the sky looks a little too deep blue on my screen.

Entertain - Fantastic shot (y)

Thanks Jill, I will definitely return to that little building in different light as it was a really bright and warm day. I think we're as bad/good as the UK in terms of H&S so I was really shocked to see them all the way up there. I assume they got down safely :)

Week 24 - Spiral

I really wanted a spiral staircase for this as they're a favourite subject for me, but my previous images have all been taken on holiday and the only accessible ones over here proved to be uninspiring for this theme. Fortunately my Mum has this spiral spinner in her garden so after trying out a few angles I settled on this one as I liked the colourful backdrop and inverted image of the garden greenery in the glass ball.

25 Spiral by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Hi, great reflection in the glass, great BG I l like it can't help wondering what it would look like B+W i think it might bring the focus of the glass more to the front

I love your spiral :) especially love the 2nd spiral in the reflection :clap:

Spiral; I quite like that. Good use of dof and the up-side-down 'reflection' of the garden.

Hi, great reflection in the glass, great BG I l like it can't help wondering what it would look like B+W i think it might bring the focus of the glass more to the front

Yes lovely reflection .... and that OOF BG (y)

That's a really great shot Andrea.
As others have already said, the reflections in the glass ball really add interest to the photo.
Great use of DoF to emphasis the subject.
:clap:

Hi Andrea - lovely shot, and I like it that you can see the spiral again in the reflection, well done (y)

I love your spiral :) especially love the 2nd spiral in the reflection :clap:

Thank you all very much for looking in and commenting, and sorry it's taken so long to respond. I'm glad you liked the spiral spinner, and trying it in B&W is something I hadn't thought of, Allan, so I'll have a look at that.

Week 25 - Silhouette

A chance image for this theme as we were in London for a few days and I saw this chap as we walked past the Tower of London one evening. I wish I'd had a longer lens with me, so I've had to settle for a fairly brutal crop to show his pose and position clearly.

25 Silhouette - archer at the Tower of London
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Hi Andreal. Didn't know they had archers at the Tower ! Nice unusual silhouette.

Wacky sculpture ... and that sky combined with your brutal crop is effective. :)

Hi Andreal. Didn't know they had archers at the Tower ! Nice unusual silhouette.

Thanks, Carl :) No, I didn't either, and I only spotted them by chance but I'm glad I did. They're very well placed and posed and apparently there are more dotted around the battlements inside too, reloading their arrows.

Wacky sculpture ... and that sky combined with your brutal crop is effective. :)

Thanks, David. I think it worked - just!

Hi Andrea,
That silhouette shot is pretty special.
Where abouts at the tower is it?

Thanks, Tim :) They're in a few places positioned like this, high up and peering over the various battlements. I think this one was on a tower on the inner wall. Very effective, too :)

Week 26 - Animal

We visited a friend last week and met her striking German Shepherd, whose favourite thing is to play with her tennis ball. I took some photos for her owner and took advantage of the opportunity to fill this week's theme, too :)

26 Animal

That is a beautiful Animal portrait Andrea. Lovely DoF that creates that crisp look to the subject.

Yes good sharp dog shot Andrea, but .... maybe it needs something to add interest ... some action perhaps .... the dog leaping to catch the ball. :thinking: But these things are not always easy especially when it's not your dog.

I've been on and off the island four times in the last two months and we're away again next week to move the eldest into his new home that side of the water - I wish the boat did 'frequent flyer' points :)

Yes, still here - albeit in spirit only at the moment - but I have a couple of images in the camera and ideas for a couple more so hopefully not too far off a catch up. Thanks DK.

Having retired disgracefully from this year's challenge, and not even been on the forum for three of the last four months, I'm going to have another go next year. I had taken images for the next few themes after reaching the halfway point but didn't get time to process and post them, so I will just start afresh in 2016 - my fourth attempt to finish a 52.

Week 21 - Bizarre

These youngsters were risking life and limb on a rooftop to watch the RAF Red Arrows display in Douglas. They definitely had a great view but were at least five floors above the ground with no safety railings up there - rather them than me!

I made sure to get one of the aircraft in the background to tell the story of why they were there and to show how high they were, although I found it equally bizarre that they weren't paying much attention to the display :wideyed:

21 Bizarre

Just seen your comment on flickr, yes this is the shot but this is the 1st time I have seen it here. Was it ever on a TV News at all ?

Just seen your comment on flickr, yes this is the shot but this is the 1st time I have seen it here. Was it ever on a TV News at all ?

Ooh, I don't know. I suppose it's possible that someone has taken a very similar image somewhere, given the number of displays they do every year? This lot caught my eye as what they were doing seemed so dangerous!

Ooh, I don't know. I suppose it's possible that someone has taken a very similar image somewhere, given the number of displays they do every year? This lot caught my eye as what they were doing seemed so dangerous!

If it was another shot, it would have to be exactly the same, which is possible. As soon as I saw it I thought OH yes I remember seeing that.

Back