weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2015 - Week 26 Animal added

09 Vertical

As soon as I saw these colourful fish boxes stacked sideways on the side of the harbour I knew I had my image for this theme! I really liked the bold colours and the clear lettering, and the way that at first glance they form an almost abstract image.

09 Vertical
by manxmaid2000, on Flickr

Definitely a winner.
Love the blues and the intermittent other colours.

10 Mouth

I tried a few things like the mouth of a river, harbour and tunnel but then thought of this one and liked the literal interpretation best. Converting to B&W lost the colour of the actual mouth so I stayed with colour and added a tiny vignette to (hopefully) maintain interest in the centre of the image.

She had been running around for a while, hence the saliva and bubbles, which I think add a sort of immediate impact - even if it's "Eeuurgh!" :)

10 Mouth
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Laughing....

I could live without the drool bubbles, but I can't resist a pooch!

11 Crowd

Let me start by saying we don't have crowds over here most of the year (TT Week is a major exception :) ) so I set up my tripod today to try to picture the idea I had in my head. Let me also say that still life is not something I normally do so this was an interesting exercise and I've ended up with two images. I'm not sure which I prefer so I'd be interested in any feedback. I was aiming for "Standing out from the crowd" and the first image tries to convey that through focus and depth of field, while the second is a result of playing around with a torch to put the subject 'in the spotlight'.

11 Crowd - standing out from the

11 Crowd - standing out from the

Crowd.

First one for me. The second is just a tad too close :)

Week 12 Close Up

I saw this lovely Dandelion head and thought it was ideal for this theme. B&W conversion to reduce background distractions and to hopefully bring out the fine details, although I may try reshooting this with a macro lens as those fine details are very fine!

This is the first time I've tried a square crop too.

12 Close-up

Beautiful.
I've a soft spot for dandelions, and this is a cracking sharp close up.

Week 13 - Machine

How literal a take on the theme is this? :) Last week I actually put my camera inside the washing machine to get some close-ups of all the curves and lines and reflections and I had almost settled on my final shot in PP yesterday, but then had the impulse to try a completely different angle today. Having polled the family we all prefer this version so here this is the result.

13 Machine

Love this.
It would work well for Household too!

Week 14 Alphabet

I couldn't find our Scrabble set or an old set of wooden blocks but did find a board game I can't remember playing called Red Letter so had a play with that instead. I'm not too thrilled with it but the addition of the sprinkle of out of focus game pieces in the background was a late addition and I think (hope) saves what was looking like a bland set up. Moving on...

14 Alphabet

Excellent for the theme and cracking DOF. Very nice!

Week 15 Sound

I've always loved the shape and colour of the fog horn on one of the local promontories, so it came to mind immediately for this theme. Hopefully by going for a close-up, low angle and accentuating the large mouth of the horn and the bright red paint this will convey the impression of loud noise. I would have liked a better sky so maybe this one is ripe for a reshoot when the next one comes around.

15 Sound

Closest horn pic of the theme I think.
I wouldn't want to be there when it goes off!

I'm almost up-to-date! Just two behind the current theme and I have ideas for those. @Dark Knight, if I smile and ask really nicely would you consider moving me back from the dreaded Wall of Shame? Please? :) :beer::jaffa:

Here's Week 17 - Heat. I hope you can hold your hands out and feel it ;)

17 Heat

Perfectly on theme.
Couldn't be hotter if you tried!

Perfectly on theme.
Couldn't be hotter if you tried!

Thank you for all the feedback, Ruth. Yes, I considered the washing machine shot for Household when I saw the theme last Friday, but it was already in my mind for Machine so I stuck with that.

Thanks again, it's nice to be almost up to date and ready to dive into everyone's threads!

Moved back up Andrea :)

Good to see you back, some excellent images as always, really like your interpretations of the themes... you just need to keep up the general pace now, over 3 months behind was pushing it a tad :D

Thanks, Dean, both for moving me up (into 'New Entrants'?) and for the feedback. I will keep up the pace now and I understand being relegated earlier - I had all but given up until that stray cobweb got me motivated again! Hopefully this year I'll finish all 52, as well :cool:

Heat; definitely can feel the heat. Nice colour and texture.

Thank you, Stan :)

Last edited:
Alphabet
This works well and is a change from the usual Scrabble colours too. Nice use of DOF and sharp where it needs to be (y)

Sound

Blimey, I bet that made a hell of a noise, only thing that could have improved this is a nice blue sky with some fluffy clouds but we can't have everything can we :)

Experiment

I love this :clap::clap::clap:

Heat

Great detail in here Andrea and a fab range of colours too :clap:

OOH Well

Alphabet ... on theme, great DoF and colour.

Sound ... brightly painted bit of old kit, PoV looks perfect.

Experiment ... NICE ... a thing I've not tried but it looks like you've got the perfect exposure time and movement.

Heat ... glorious.

Experiment: very nice. Must add this to the to do list

Heat: Certainly feel the heat, no need for me to put my hands out. it looks hot hot hot. Some good detail in the burning wood.

Hi Andrea, I really like your submission for Alphabet - good dof, composition and colours and a pleasant change from the more mundane Scrabble :clap: Of your other recent shots, Heat has to be my favourite - yes, I can certainly feel it!

Hi Andrea - and another great catch up!

Sound - I love this, and you're right, using a close up shot really dos make it look like it'll make a real noise when it goes off - great idea for the theme (y)

Experiment - another cracker. I've done some of these and it's really tricky to time it just right, but you've pulled it off here - well done:clap::clap:

and I've just come to heat - super shot, you can almost feel the glow :)

Last edited:
Hi Andrea ....gosh I'm behind on your thread again!

All your images are really excellent so hard to pick out favourites but I do like experiment, I am very keen on abstract and that one really works for me. Heat... whats to say except it looks absolutely red hot, yet another great choice for the theme :clap:

Alphabet
This works well and is a change from the usual Scrabble colours too. Nice use of DOF and sharp where it needs to be (y)

Sound

Blimey, I bet that made a hell of a noise, only thing that could have improved this is a nice blue sky with some fluffy clouds but we can't have everything can we :)

Experiment

I love this :clap::clap::clap:

Heat

Great detail in here Andrea and a fab range of colours too :clap:

Thanks for catching up and commenting, Jill :) Yes, the fog horn will be my 'reshoot' if I ever manage to get completely up to date, and this time it will have a lovely blue sky to contrast with the bright red!

OOH Well

Alphabet ... on theme, great DoF and colour.

Sound ... brightly painted bit of old kit, PoV looks perfect.

Experiment ... NICE ... a thing I've not tried but it looks like you've got the perfect exposure time and movement.

Heat ... glorious.

Thanks very much for looking in and keeping up with my thread, David :)

Experiment: very nice. Must add this to the to do list

Heat: Certainly feel the heat, no need for me to put my hands out. it looks hot hot hot. Some good detail in the burning wood.

Thank you, Mandy :) Yes, it's definitely worth a try with the intentional camera movement - I think it could work for a lot of different subjects and scenes.

Hi Andrea, I really like your submission for Alphabet - good dof, composition and colours and a pleasant change from the more mundane Scrabble :clap: Of your other recent shots, Heat has to be my favourite - yes, I can certainly feel it!

Thank you, Elaine :)

Hi Andrea - and another great catch up!

Sound - I love this, and you're right, using a close up shot really dos make it look like it'll make a real noise when it goes off - great idea for the theme (y)

Experiment - another cracker. I've done some of these and it's really tricky to time it just right, but you've pulled it off here - well done:clap::clap:

and I've just come to heat - super shot, you can almost feel the glow :)

Thanks for looking in again and commenting, Lorraine :)

Hi Andrea ....gosh I'm behind on your thread again!

All your images are really excellent so hard to pick out favourites but I do like experiment, I am very keen on abstract and that one really works for me. Heat... whats to say except it looks absolutely red hot, yet another great choice for the theme :clap:

Thank you for looking in again, Susie, and for your feedback. It's much appreciated!

Week 18 - Figures

Having got to within two weeks of being up-to-date, I can't believe a fortnight has flown by :( I struggled with this one as I had a specific scene in mind for it and wouldn't you just know it but the weather has refused to cooperate since then. I know this is part of the challenge of the 52 so last night I compromised and used this unsuspecting couple as my 'figures' while they admired the sunset from the end of the old breakwater. Hopefully the right weather will arise again in the next week or two and I will re-shoot with my original idea!

18 Figures by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Hi Andrea, isn't it awful when the weather won't play along? It's happened to me a couple of times - I had what I thought was a good idea, but didn't get the weather to get the shots.

I like this though, a nice shot catching hat looks to be the last of the light, and it fits the theme well :)

Hi Andrea. I agree with Tim, Heat is a terrific shot - the texture and the colours all come out so well - my fave. Machine makes a terrific b&w abstract.

Great capture Andrea - I love how the warm sky contrasts against the steely grey sea :clap: Have you tried cropping a bit from the bottom left corner to put more emphasis on the figures and give a diagonal lead into the bottom right?

Hi Andrea, isn't it awful when the weather won't play along? It's happened to me a couple of times - I had what I thought was a good idea, but didn't get the weather to get the shots.

I like this though, a nice shot catching hat looks to be the last of the light, and it fits the theme well :)

Thanks Lorraine, I had to 'settle' for this one, but the light was nice and hopefully I'll get the chance to reshoot it.

Nice shot Andrea - I like the sky in this one and fits the theme well.

Thanks for looking in, Mich. I think the sky is the redeeming feature :)

Hi Andrea,
Heat - a fantastic shot in my opinion, great colour, nicely sharp and spot on subject.
Figures - A nice coastal shot, fits the subject and the horizon is horizontal :)

Thanks Tim - glad you liked Heat and yes, I do always check the horizon :)

Hi Andrea. I agree with Tim, Heat is a terrific shot - the texture and the colours all come out so well - my fave. Machine makes a terrific b&w abstract.

Thanks for looking in and commenting, Carl. Glad you liked those two :) I see you've been on a mega catch-up too so I'll be along to have a browse through your thread soon (y)

Great capture Andrea - I love how the warm sky contrasts against the steely grey sea :clap: Have you tried cropping a bit from the bottom left corner to put more emphasis on the figures and give a diagonal lead into the bottom right?

Thanks Elaine, it wasn't the shot I wanted but the sky was nice and I didn't want to fall further behind again. I cropped slightly in PP to get the couple on the intersection of thirds, but there's not much to look at it in that bottom corner so I will revisit and see how that looks. Thanks again :)

Week 19 - Household

I tried a few things for this one and realised how rubbish I am at setting up 'still life' and interior shots! I usually prefer outdoor or action photography so I've already done more images inside on my tripod for this 52 than ever before. Hopefully the result will be me getting better at setting up and capturing these scenarios :)

This is the only one I was remotely happy with, so be gentle :exit:

19 Household

Last edited:
That looks good to me Andrea - makes a nice abstract. Good interpretation of the theme.

Week 20 - Limit

Not what I had in mind and it's not a stunning image by any means, but when I saw this sign it seemed to sum up the theme by putting so many limits on what people can do at this reservoir.

I concentrated on the symbols and text and it's only on reflection today that I wonder should I have left more of the sign and possibly it's surroundings in the frame? I would have to go back and reshoot it to do that and the reservoir is not in sight from this spot anyway, so I think my instinct to just focus on the various limits is probably the right one. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

20 Limit

You have more than covered the theme Andrea - my goodness, that is quite a sign. Sharp, colours nicely represented and more than meets the criteria ha ha.

Hi Andrea :wave:, I'm finally catching up :rolleyes:

Figures - captured some great detail in the sea and love the colours of the sky. I just feel the figures are slightly lost because of the darkness of the foreground, although it certainly fits the theme.

Household - I love a good abstract and this is a very good abstract - great exposure and lighting is spot on :clap::clap:

Limit - Blimey, that certainly fits the bill (y)

Hi, sorry for not getting round to this sooner, some really nice images will try to keep up from now on

You have more than covered the theme Andrea - my goodness, that is quite a sign. Sharp, colours nicely represented and more than meets the criteria ha ha.

Thanks, Carl, there were so many exclusions on this sign it seemed perfect :) Just wish I'd made a more interesting image of it.

Gonna have to pick my favourite as time is against me.

Household, abstract, a bit different and I'm a fan of these.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks for taking the time, Andy, I'm beginning to realise what a challenge it is to keep up with other threads so it's appreciated.

Hi Andrea :wave:, I'm finally catching up :rolleyes:

Figures - captured some great detail in the sea and love the colours of the sky. I just feel the figures are slightly lost because of the darkness of the foreground, although it certainly fits the theme.

Household - I love a good abstract and this is a very good abstract - great exposure and lighting is spot on :clap::clap:

Limit - Blimey, that certainly fits the bill (y)

Thanks, Jill, I agree - my image for 'Figures' is not the one I wanted and I hope to be able to reshoot it soon. Glad you like Household and thanks for looking in :)

Hi, sorry for not getting round to this sooner, some really nice images will try to keep up from now on

Thanks, Allan, I've been flying under the radar for a while with a mega catch-up but I'm almost there now :) I'll be along to find your thread too before the weekend!

Week 21 - Bizarre

These youngsters were risking life and limb on a rooftop to watch the RAF Red Arrows display in Douglas. They definitely had a great view but were at least five floors above the ground with no safety railings up there - rather them than me!

I made sure to get one of the aircraft in the background to tell the story of why they were there and to show how high they were, although I found it equally bizarre that they weren't paying much attention to the display :wideyed:

21 Bizarre

Amazing - wonder how they fared climbing back down after a couple of drinks? Really Bizarre Andrea. Well spotted and nicely captured

Definitely. What a beautiful scenic shot. Like the contrast and remoteness between the ruin and the urban sprawl on opposing banks. Wonderful. Where is this Andrea?

Definitely. What a beautiful scenic shot. Like the contrast and remoteness between the ruin and the urban sprawl on opposing banks. Wonderful. Where is this Andrea?

Thanks Carl, it was a lovely day and the stones really caught the light. It's a little building by the bay of Castletown, Isle of Man. I think it must have been something to do with either fishing or the nearby former lime quarry.

Week 23 - Entertain

I'm going to allow myself a little :banana::banana::banana: here, because until I saw the title of the themes thread had been changed, I was up to date for the first time since week 1 :)

The island enjoyed its annual visit of the Red Arrows this week to entertain the TT Week crowds, and who could fail to be entertained by their fantastic displays? I only wish I'd remembered how much coloured smoke they leave behind during the display, and on a still warm evening it lingered in the air and made it harder to get clear shots.

23 Entertain

Back