weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

Both good but the image for beautiful is vey good indeed great reds in the water and the texture of the sand

Week 18 - Low

18 Low
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Mist and rain usually mean I leave my camera at home, if indeed I choose to leave the house at all! However, the dog needed a long walk and I had a little Samyang 12mm to try out so off we went. Thankfully the rain eased off and I captured this little scene, with a low viewpoint and helpful tilting rear screen making the 2-3 inch shoots look much larger.

I need some practice with the manual focus but I think the mist in the background helps to makes the green shoots stand out from the background and I like the overall 'look' of this scene. I think I should venture out more often when it's damp and misty :)

Last edited:
Hi Andrea trying to catch up on comments

Straight - A nice simple and colorful image that works perfectly for the theme.

Unattractive - Nicely seen I like the pov just focusing on the wheel and Tyre some nice colours and details in there

Shadow - Very nicely seen a lovely image

Beautiful - Wow that is stunning very nicely captured

Low - Nicely done great Low point of view nice use of DoF to focus your attention on the foreground.

Low is fantastic!

Low is really very good Andrea, good sense of scale from the trees in the background

Hi Andrea,

Shadow - Nicely captured. It certainly does demonstrate the shading effect of the clouds. :)
Beautiful - Lovely sunset, great view, bang on theme. Would have worked well for the following week's theme too.
Low - I've yet to play with the tilting screen on my X-T2, but feel i would be disappointed following on from the 80D.
You've managed to get a really good low shot there with it. love teh detail of the droplets on the shoots.

Hi Andrea trying to catch up on comments

Straight - A nice simple and colorful image that works perfectly for the theme.

Unattractive - Nicely seen I like the pov just focusing on the wheel and Tyre some nice colours and details in there

Shadow - Very nicely seen a lovely image

Beautiful - Wow that is stunning very nicely captured

Low - Nicely done great Low point of view nice use of DoF to focus your attention on the foreground.

Thank you for the catch-up Mark, and for commenting on each image, it is much appreciated :)
Low is a great shot from you Andrea, cracking colours and the best for the theme yet :plus1:

Wow, thank you, Dave. It's not perfectly focused but I learned a lot from this one and will definitely venture up there to try this again :)

Very good indeed and quite a strange scene very lush greens

Thank you, Allan, it was a lovely green opening in the middle of all the trees and the recent rain drops were a real bonus,

Low is fantastic!

Thank you very much, Dave!

Low is really very good Andrea, good sense of scale from the trees in the background

Thanks, Chris, much appreciated. I like the trees and the slight mist in the background, too.

Nice colours in Low Andrea, good idea that.

Thank you, Mark, I went out looking for ideas and I'm so glad I found this little spot :)

What a fantastic image for Low and I love it. Best submission so far this year. :clap:

Wow, Stan, thank you very much! It's definitely one of my favourite recent images; I just wish I had properly hit the manual focus but I will be practicing that :)

Hi Andrea,

Shadow - Nicely captured. It certainly does demonstrate the shading effect of the clouds. :)
Beautiful - Lovely sunset, great view, bang on theme. Would have worked well for the following week's theme too.
Low - I've yet to play with the tilting screen on my X-T2, but feel i would be disappointed following on from the 80D.
You've managed to get a really good low shot there with it. love teh detail of the droplets on the shoots.

Thanks for the catch-up and your usual detailed comments, Tim. I didn't make much use of the tilting/folding screen on my D750 but I am using the one on the Fuji more often and do find it useful, especially with this image as it was very low and very wet after a recent downpour :)

Low is wow ... lush too. :clap:

Thank you very much, David :)

Well that is a smasher Andrea ...a really beautiful shot :clap:

Thanks Susie, the close-up view worked better than I expected :)

Love low. Really nice shot. How are hou finding the samyang? I just got the 14mm and I'm looking to get the 8mm fisheye soon.

Thank you, Ross. I only got the Samyang 12mm last week and this was its first outing, but I was pleased with the results, especially the overall look of this one. I need to practice manual focusing as I haven't done that for a long time, but focus peaking seems to help and I think the little 12mm will produce some nice results, especially when the weather is brighter than it was last Saturday when we had mist and rain. I have been eyeing the 8mm fisheye to replace the Sigma 15mm I have for my Nikon, so I'll be interested to see how you get on. It seems to produce some great images.

shadow - great idea and well done to get the shadows cast by the clouds into a very pleasing photo!
beautiful - that's just beautiful, nothing to criticise (y)
low - great shot too, I like the different shades of green and the droplets!

Hi Andrea I hope you are well, and that the new pup isn't sapping all your energy and is behaving well for you. I am a tiny bit late in catching up on your thread, but im on a mission to get up to date.

Straight - I like this lovely colour and nice to see the ripples of the water in the image, good choice for the theme.
Unattractive - lovely detailed image, and its not a pretty site to look at.
Shadow - a stunning view, with shadow sweeping across in the foreground and across in the distance, I think you captured the scene at the right moment.
Beautiful - outstanding image, loving the colours, i can imagine having that printed out and framed and put on the living room wall.
Low - I like the different shades of green with in the image, I do think the focus could use a tweak.

shadow - great idea and well done to get the shadows cast by the clouds into a very pleasing photo!
beautiful - that's just beautiful, nothing to criticise (y)
low - great shot too, I like the different shades of green and the droplets!

Thanks for the catch-up and the feedback, Bernd (y)

Hi Andrea I hope you are well, and that the new pup isn't sapping all your energy and is behaving well for you. I am a tiny bit late in catching up on your thread, but im on a mission to get up to date.

Straight - I like this lovely colour and nice to see the ripples of the water in the image, good choice for the theme.
Unattractive - lovely detailed image, and its not a pretty site to look at.
Shadow - a stunning view, with shadow sweeping across in the foreground and across in the distance, I think you captured the scene at the right moment.
Beautiful - outstanding image, loving the colours, i can imagine having that printed out and framed and put on the living room wall.
Low - I like the different shades of green with in the image, I do think the focus could use a tweak.

Hi Mandy, the new pup is growing into a big girl but she's a sweet character and fitting in well :) Thanks for looking in and commenting on all those images - I definitely got lucky with the sunset for Beautiful, and I agree about the focus for Low; it was my first outing with a new manual focus lens and I need some practice.

Shadow - Great landscape view.
Beautiful - good silhouette against that fabulous sky I love the colours
low - great shot I love the droplets on the stems and the oof background it looks like an enchanted woodland

Last edited:
Shadow - Great landscape view.
Beautiful - good silhouette against that fabulous sky I love the colours
low - great shot I love the droplets on the stems and the oof background it looks like an enchanted woodland

Thanks for the comments, Minx. I love the droplets too and it was a lovely little spot; definitely one to visit again :)

Week 19 - Match

I've tried this idea a few times since the theme was announced but got underwhelming results each time. Tonight, the sea was dead calm again and there were some lovely colours in the sky, so I tried again to get an image where the sky is reflected so perfectly in the sea that you can hardly tell where the horizon sits.

19 Match

I was pleased with the result above, with the sea and sky 'matching' each other perfectly, but you could tell the colours were going to warm up so I moved down to the harbour to get a different angle with the yacht in the bay and Bradda Head behind. The actual colours of the sunset were spectacular, probably one of the best I have ever seen, and the colours and silhouettes reflected in the calm sea were an even better 'match' than the first image.

19 Match (2) Made in Heaven

I like them both for different reasons - the almost abstract scene in the first one, the lack of a horizon line and the subtle tones, and the fiery colours and mirror reflections in the second - so I have added both here for your thoughts and feedback.

Last edited:
2 lovely images for Match Andrea the second one for me love the rich colours and it seams to be more balanced (matched)

I prefer the first one such lovely subtle colours I can see why the second one is perhaps a better match for theme but I think it’s the first one for me :clap:

I love the reflection of the cliff with tower in #2, but #1 is plain beautiful. (y)

What a sunset... Both are great photos, but I prefer #1!

Both Match pics are some of your best work I think, the first has those lovely sublte colour blends and the scond has all the punch you could want, great work.

2 lovely images for Match Andrea the second one for me love the rich colours and it seams to be more balanced (matched)

Thanks, Mark, it was wonderful to see the colours getting stronger after starting with such subtle tones.

I prefer the first one such lovely subtle colours I can see why the second one is perhaps a better match for theme but I think it’s the first one for me :clap:

Thanks Alan. Although I was amazed by the colours as the sunset progressed, the first is the image I was aiming for and I think I prefer the subtlety of that one, too.

2 lovely pics there Andrea, I like the 1st, such a calm looking scene that, the subtle colours are beautiful. The 2nd, again I like it and it's nice to see it in a slightly different light, I'm going to go for number 1.

Thank you, Michael, glad you like them both and thanks for another vote for #1 :)

I love the reflection of the cliff with tower in #2, but #1 is plain beautiful. (y)

Thanks David, it's hard to believe they were taken on the same evening and I'm glad you like the beauty in #1.

1st one for me too Andrea, both a great shots with lovely colours.

Thanks, Dave (y)

Both good and a different take on the theme, I like them equally I think.

Thank you, Chris; the first is the image I was aiming for but the second was a lovely bonus :)

What a sunset... Both are great photos, but I prefer #1!

Thanks, Bernd, it's funny that the second one was the most popular one on Flickr and Facebook etc but the first one is the choice of most photography people :)

Match (2) for me. It's the vibrancy of the colours and the silhouetting that does it for me.
I would certainly be printing this off and hanging it on the wall if I'd taken it.

Thanks, Tim, I felt so fortunate to watch the colours develop and it's definitely one of the very best sunsets I've witnessed. It was chosen to appear on our local ITV weather update, and I think you're right that it would look good as a large print with those strong colours.

Both Match pics are some of your best work I think, the first has those lovely sublte colour blends and the scond has all the punch you could want, great work.

Thanks very much, Mark - very kind indeed. Amazing to think that they were taken less than an hour apart!

Match - Second one for me. Great vibrant colours and the outcrop of land and the reflected boat really make it.

Thank you Ross, much appreciated.

Reactions: LC2
Week 20 - Music(al)

20 Music

Another theme where I tried a few things but wasn't happy with the results and have fallen behind, so I have resorted to my back-up idea. Having avoided indoor still-life photography for all but two of this year's 52 themes, it felt like time for another and it was a chance to play with shallow DOF too. I dusted off my son's long-ignored guitar and arranged some sheet music behind it, and this was the best result.

I like the textures of the wood and the narrow DOF, but on reflection the lack of space at the top is annoying even though that area is deliberately way out of focus. If I can get the light right again tomorrow I may lay the sheets out differently and re-shoot just to correct that :banghead:

Last edited:
Its difficult to take a decent picture of a guitar, but I do think you have achieved it here as you say a little more room at the top but that is being very picky

Its difficult to take a decent picture of a guitar, but I do think you have achieved it here as you say a little more room at the top but that is being very picky
Thanks, Allan. I took quite a few images at different angles and liked this one best. Just overlooked the very top!

Back