weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

I can only echo the comments above, it's a well taken shot and a very clever take on the theme

Loving this image for waiting Andrea, a good shot and really like the editing in it bang on for the theme too.

Thanks, Dave, it was nice to have an idea quite quickly and then for it to work out :)

Cold
Yum yum, I do like a bit of vanilla ice cream.

Waiting
I'm not sure I have ever see you so early with a theme :exit:.
I really quite like this one, the light loves lovely, there's just the right amount of door and bench showing and I like the dof (y)

You're right, Dominic, I can't remember being so quick off the mark :D Thanks, glad you like them.

Whooops, catching up here....

New-Love the blue. Works well for the theme
Clean-Great idea, focus is bang on, looks like a very good stock photo
Open-Nice, simple and graphic. The mono conversion works very well on this image. The texture on the slate is lovely
Distant-Lovely colours in the sky, works well for the them too. I like the pano crop. I like the shot taken in the other direction too
Cold-Yep, that looks cold! Nice use of DOF.
Waiting-Great use of DOF, nice composition, and the processing is great. Nicely done

Thanks very much for looking back through all the images and for your feedback, Jon. It's much appreciated.

Very nice image Andrea, good dof and colourful.

Thank you, Ian; for once an idea worked out as I hoped :)

Keep the shadow on the door, it frames the wording.

Good point, Tim, although it looked a bit odd it does help the faded lettering stand out (y)

Waiting - great image. The processing has done it complete justice. An intriguing look into the past ;)

Thank you, Jim, I enjoyed tweaking it to give a slightly aged look and I'm glad it has worked :)

Nice tones on that door - fab pic :D

Thanks, Dave, it's a nicely preserved station - just a shame about the new and bright yellow sack truck stored in one corner yesterday :D

Great work Andrea!(y)
I'm with Tim, I rather like the way the shadow frames the lettering.
Nice sharp detail and texture on that old door, and the out of focus benches work well too.
Just enough detail in the floor which adds to the aged feel
Marvellous!

Thank you, Gareth, the room has a lovely old, dusty feel to it (apart from the new, bright yellow sack truck stored in one corner yesterday!) and I tried to convey that with the processing. Yes, Tim has a good point about the shadow on the lettering, although I will pop back to see what caused it as I'm intrigued :)

I really like your take on WAITING. A nice bit of nostalgia!

Thanks, Bob, it is nicely preserved and I'm glad I remembered it. I'm still going to try to find the one with the brass 'Waiting Room' plaque too :)

I can only echo the comments above, it's a well taken shot and a very clever take on the theme

Thank you very much, Lindsay.

Great idea and well taken.

Thanks, Clive.

Two strong images there Andrea! The first looks delicious and is very well taken. Good use of DoF to keep the front part sharp to show the texture in the ice cream, but then the rest blurs out. I also really like the waiting image, and especially the processing. The composition of the door opening with the seats behind makes it feel like you're being pulled into the room.

My favourite image of the week. Great texture to the door and the flaky writing, the DOF sets the foreground off nicely - really like this

Waiting is very nice. Well done.

Cold - A perfect fit for the theme and I really fancy some ice cream now :D

Waiting - A really nice shot. Well seen and well composed that leads my eye into the room beyond.

Love the processing of this image Andrea, really suits it. Nothing wrong with the shadow at all. Funny how we don’t always see things until we are looking at the photo on a computer screen. :thinking:

Cold - Makes me want ice cream!

Waiting - Really like the detail of the paint and marks on the door. I agree, the shadow frames the writing drawing the eye to it. Well done Andrea

Very nice indeed Andrea, love the processing on this and the composition is spot on.

Thanks very much, Michael, I enjoyed experimenting!

Two strong images there Andrea! The first looks delicious and is very well taken. Good use of DoF to keep the front part sharp to show the texture in the ice cream, but then the rest blurs out. I also really like the waiting image, and especially the processing. The composition of the door opening with the seats behind makes it feel like you're being pulled into the room.

Thank you, Carl, that was the effect I was hoping for in Waiting, with just a glimpse of the room beyond.

My favourite image of the week. Great texture to the door and the flaky writing, the DOF sets the foreground off nicely - really like this

Thank you very much for those kind comments, Ian. Much appreciated!

Waiting is very nice. Well done.

Thank you, Rob :)

Sorry to be so long in replying; it's been a busy week but if I haven't been to your threads this week, I'll be visiting very shortly!

Cold - A perfect fit for the theme and I really fancy some ice cream now :D

Waiting - A really nice shot. Well seen and well composed that leads my eye into the room beyond.

Thanks very much for your comments, Lee. It looks as though my ideas worked for you :)

Love the processing of this image Andrea, really suits it. Nothing wrong with the shadow at all. Funny how we don’t always see things until we are looking at the photo on a computer screen. :thinking:

Thanks Mandy, and yes I kicked myself for not seeing the shadow at first, but it seems it has done me a favour by making the letters stand out :)

Cold - Makes me want ice cream!

Waiting - Really like the detail of the paint and marks on the door. I agree, the shadow frames the writing drawing the eye to it. Well done Andrea

Thanks very much, Dom. Glad they worked for you :)

Great shot - love the DOF and the composition.

Thank you, Joan, glad you liked it :)

Sorry to be so long in replying; it's been a busy week but if I haven't been to your threads this week, I'll be visiting very shortly!

Cold, excellent shot I want some and proper "yellow" ice cream.
Waiting. This is a really great shot, the composition and use of DOF all give it a wonderful atmosphere. Top Shot.

Week 7 - Rough

07 Rough
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Hopefully not a shoehorn as there was plenty of rough earth behind this lovely pair of Belgian Cobs, Elle and Tempête, at a local ploughing match. It was a mixed competition with three pairs of horses among the tractors, but this pair were the stars of the show with their lovely colouring and shiny harness. The competition took place on a grass field so you can see their progress from the lines of broken ground behind them.

We enjoyed some great light too, as the sun broke through the clouds from time to time.

PS: I was there with @Missycat so don't be surprised to see more 'rough' ploughing action!

Last edited:
Rough, you really are on a roll at the moment Andrea, looks bang on theme to me. From the expression on the Horsemans face to the detail and colours in the horses every thing is bang on.

Wow! What a fantastic image, I absolutely love it. Well done indeed

Agree with the above comments it’s a nice image you don’t see this kind of thing very often these days, a joy to see.

Cold, excellent shot I want some and proper "yellow" ice cream.
Waiting. This is a really great shot, the composition and use of DOF all give it a wonderful atmosphere. Top Shot.

Roger, the colour and texture seems to be having that effect on a lot of people! Thank you for the lovely feedback.

Even if this was not on theme Andrea, it is a beautifully taken image imo. It is on theme too as you say rough earth or the mans face looks rough with the beard.
Totally love it.

Thanks very much, Dave, it was my first visit to a ploughing match and a great opportunity for photography, but this pair really did catch the eye and I was lucky with the light at this moment. I have just seen a photo of the field at the end of the event and you would never know there had been any grass :D

Rough, you really are on a roll at the moment Andrea, looks bang on theme to me. From the expression on the Horsemans face to the detail and colours in the horses every thing is bang on.

Thank you again - I think it's the combination of the great light and me plonking my knee in the mud to get the right angle for this one!

Wow! What a fantastic image, I absolutely love it. Well done indeed

Thank you very much, Jim, that's very kind of you. It was a great event for photography.

Lovely Dobbins shot. Nice depth of field too *whistle*

Loving that. :)

Definitely fits the theme Andrea. Love how the lighting has emphasised the colouring of the horse on the left. Really lovelly image from you yet again.:)

Cold and Waiting are both brilliant captures. DOF on both is really good. Lighting on the ice cream has a lovely feel to it

Agree with the above comments it’s a nice image you don’t see this kind of thing very often these days, a joy to see.

Thank you, Allan, it's something I have been meaning to attend for a while but it's not well-publicised so I was glad to finally get to this one. It was like to stepping into a different world :)

That's a cracking photo Andrea. Lovely colour and great detail. The composition and the expression on the chaps face works to make a really nice image (y)

Thank you, Lee. It was mostly cloudy but when the sun broke through the light was really something. You're right, all of the competitors took great care over their lines and the concentration was intense.

Lovely Dobbins shot. Nice depth of field too *whistle*

Thanks, Pete Dave, it was well worth the trip and the muddy boots and knees!

Loving that. :)

Thanks, Rick :)

Last edited:
Back