weekly Mich's 52 for 2015 Entertain

Hi Mich

good thinking for something different with Alphabet , like the two tone effect of blue's n whites :)

Sound...another good idea , leaving the actually sound to the viewers imagination :)

Of them last two I much prefer the alphabet image, although the sound shot is a good idea I need to see movement to convince me a sound is present, self timer shot maybe ?? - back to the bird, nicely produced, the oof branches don't bother me all that much :)

Ok back to the real world from holiday and trying to catch up with those that I've done

Week 17 - Heat (week 16 experiment still to come!)

View attachment 37687

Took this on holiday - early morning in Cartagena just as the sun was coming up - thought with that and the chimneys and the smoke filled the 'heat' brief.

Week 18 Figures
View attachment 37688

This a picture of a piece of art in town - 2 men inside a ring - took it from the front to get the one behind in the shot but didn't want him in focus.

So Experiment and household oh and limit to come

Hi Mitch

Heat ... Nice image, says a lot: industry, pollution, black clouds, white clouds, sunrise, mountains, reflection ... love it. (y)

Figures ... nice near-central, focused main figure with the second OOF figure over his shoulder ... and the blue-tinged OOF architecture. (y)

Couple of good ones there.

CROWD is a great shot. Lovely colours and the right POV for it to work perfectly, and a good take on the theme.
HEAT - also a perfect shot for the theme. I also agree with d00d .. can't add to his description. Superb!

yep have to agree, love the heat one, and the dof of the figures :clap:

Hi Mich, its a real struggle isn't it, like an eternal catch up:rolleyes:

Heat... Really like this, there's a lot going on without it being busy. Really shouts heat to me! Hot, heavy, dark clouds and smoke, burning hot sun looks like "Hells Harbour" all that's missing is the sea boiling. I've been to Cartagena several times and its not that bad :D. Love the reflection on the sea BTW.(y)

Figure....:agree: DOF is bang on, and makes this shot really work, especially with the other OOF figure over his shoulder... Really nice sharp focus(y)

Heat.....For so early in the morning, that does look a bit warm for me!

Figures....I too love that the other guy is looking over his shoulder, and the DOF is fab.

Great catch-up Mitch. (y)

Your Household shot, theme-interpretationwise, is a stroke of brilliance ... a stonking colourful photo too. :clap:

Hi, That face is really freaky especially the eyes, great spot though a little disturbing
nice idea for household very colourful (y)
Companions very nice silhouette with a great sky behind it :clap:

lol that really is bizarre :eek: like Allan said the eyes are weird :)

household nice dof and love the companions reshoot :clap: they look like sentinels :banana:

Hi Michalene

bizarre - yep, that ticks the boxes, he's very menacing isn't he?. His eyes do look almost real, like those paintings in films where people can spy on the room through the eyes in a portrait
I love your choice for household - great idea and really good dof
companions reshoot - that's another lovely shot. I like the detail in the sky, it really makes the image

:clap: :clap:

Some great shots Michalene. I'm particularly liking Heat, which really does get the theme over and Household - a simple idea, but well executed!

Hi Michalene, thanks for popping into my thread earlier and I'm here for my first visit to yours. I've enjoyed looking through from the start and my favourites so far are

Bliss - love the extreme close-up and the bokeh
Fragile - another extreme close-up and I like the pretty highlights and your description pointing out the heart
Companions - snow is difficult to expose but well spotted; it's a great idea and fits the theme perfectly
Bold - lovely striking colours and you controlled the exposure and highlights well
Machine - another good idea to fit the theme and lots of shiny metal details to hold the eye
Heat - REALLY like this one! The colours and the smoke create an almost other-worldly scene and its possibly my favourite so far
Figures - this is another strong one; well composed with great use of DOF and pin sharp (y)
Household - doesn't look quite sharp but really catches the eye with those bright, bold colours and the great background
Reshoot - another cracker with excellent colours and texture in the sky and super details in the silhouetted machines

I've enjoyed catching up with you and will be following your thread and looking forward to more :)

More Catching up - Week 23 - Entertain
View attachment 39611

Was at Falkland Palace the other weekend and they had a Redcoat/Jacobite weekend. Spotted these 2 redcoats through the trees.

Week 16 - Experiment

View attachment 39612

I have been trying to get a shot of my dog in motion for ages and it never seems to come out right. I managed (I think) to get to grips with the settings and also to not move the camera while taking the shot so was pleased with this.

Nice colours on Heat and the companions shoot. Fantastic skies. :)

Not quite sure about Household, the background is a little distracting to my eye, maybe a shallower DOF.

Entertain, Could do with a slight lift of the shadows to bring some detail back into the face.

All in all some very good interpretation of the themes (y)

Broken: Oh goodness, that does look rotted - not doing any good at all up there.
Entertain: Love the viewpoint, the relaxed attitude of the subjects and the suggestion of entertainment created by their attire.
Experiment: The movement is nicely captured. The next step is to try a slower shutter speed to get motion blur.

Nice images Michalene :clap:

Bizarre.......Mich....the eyes certainly are creepy!
I believe it's because they're carved to include a pupil.
The light hits just right and they look freaky :LOL:

Entertain. ...great summer scene. Vivid colours.

Experiment.....very nice action shot. It's great when you feel like you're finally getting the hang of something.

Broken....really liking the colour and detail here.

I missed Household!!
Simple, colourful and perfect for the theme. :)

Broken; very indeed. Surprise the church is still standing considering the state of that beam.

Experiment; you done well to freeze the movement. Not a dog owner myself but I know sometimes their running directions are a bit unpredictable.

Entertain; well caught and nice framing too but just a wee shame the face is a bit dark. Falkland Palace is in Fife, Scotland?

Hi Mich

entertain - a nice shot, fits the theme well

experiment - well done on freezing the motion there (y)

broken - it really is broken isn't it? good fit for the theme and I really like the tones

Just playing catch up on my commentary.

Household: Sharp image with bright colours, background blur a tad distracting deterred I think because of the brightness of the image.
Reshoot- companions Lovely silhouette and sunset.
Entertain/Broken: Both fit the theme
Experiment: Well done for persevering with the shot you wanted. Hope you rewarded the dog.

Broken: Oh goodness, that does look rotted - not doing any good at all up there.
Entertain: Love the viewpoint, the relaxed attitude of the subjects and the suggestion of entertainment created by their attire.
Experiment: The movement is nicely captured. The next step is to try a slower shutter speed to get motion blur.

Nice images Michalene :clap:
Thanks Carl - yes want to try for the motion blur.

Bizarre.......Mich....the eyes certainly are creepy!
I believe it's because they're carved to include a pupil.
The light hits just right and they look freaky :LOL:

Entertain. ...great summer scene. Vivid colours.

Experiment.....very nice action shot. It's great when you feel like you're finally getting the hang of something.

Broken....really liking the colour and detail here.
Thanks Ruth :)

Broken; very indeed. Surprise the church is still standing considering the state of that beam.

Experiment; you done well to freeze the movement. Not a dog owner myself but I know sometimes their running directions are a bit unpredictable.

Entertain; well caught and nice framing too but just a wee shame the face is a bit dark. Falkland Palace is in Fife, Scotland?

Thanks Stan. She's an older dog and sometimes she doesn't run that much at the park - mainly when she sees the camera out! Yes Falkland Palace is in Fife. Just went through for a wander there as was a nice day and their gardens are lovely and discovered the event on.

Just playing catch up on my commentary.

Household: Sharp image with bright colours, background blur a tad distracting deterred I think because of the brightness of the image.
Reshoot- companions Lovely silhouette and sunset.
Entertain/Broken: Both fit the theme
Experiment: Well done for persevering with the shot you wanted. Hope you rewarded the dog.
thanks Mandy!

Hi Mich

entertain - a nice shot, fits the theme well

experiment - well done on freezing the motion there (y)

broken - it really is broken isn't it? good fit for the theme and I really like the tones
thanks Lorraine

It's early so I'll just comment on my favourite, I like entertain, a little detail missing due to the shadow and they don't look too excited, not your fault :), but well spotted.

Cheers.

Hi Mich
Just a bit of a catch up for a change!
Bizarre... What a character, well spotted! Very spooky eyes quite disconcerting, but great expression.. The shot has some nice tones going on and some interesting shapes. Was wondering if it might be worth lifting the shadows to see the eyes a little better but this might take some of the threatening look away from those eyes!

Household.... So Simple but effective! Very colourful and bright. I struggled with this topic but it all seems so obvious when you see a shot like this .... well done. Nice use of DOF here. It looks like the point of focus however was on the orange peg, which seems a little lost behind the others. I think it might be worth trying either changing the orientation of the pegs so there is more of the Orange peg showing, or putting the point of focus on the leading peg.

Re-shoot Companions ... I quite like this, great silhouettes really subtle gradients in the sky. Nice light, and great colour in the sky, works well for me!

Entertain... Nice through the keyhole framed shot and quite natural look to it. Nice colours, just a tweak up on the shadows to lift the face a bit;).

Experiment ... Ahh, Nice Doggie:) I bet you have had lots of fun trying to shoot him belting around! I think you have succeeded catching him this time(y). Its a bit like trying to photograph grandchildren really! Erratic and quick, like trying to shot an angry wasp! There's lots of experimenting you can do here, standing 90 degrees to his path and panning then you get the background blurred and him galloping along (use continuous focusing for that). Also as said above slowing the shutter speed a little to capture the motion blur of his legs whizzing along. Endless hours of fun shooting moving objects.
Like this shot, nice action and looks like he's almost all fours off the ground there:). Nice colour again, think the off centre image works well (y).

Broken... That's nice, very interesting textures and lovely golden brown rich colour. Interesting that you can still see the rings in the tree trunk! Sat here wondering, I bet if that could talk it would have some stories to tell.... Any ideas how old it is?

Nice set of photographs Mich!

Hi Mitch ...

Entertain ... like the framing through the trees

Broken ... nice .... but needs full frontal lighting!

Back