weekly NickD's Photo52 Challenge - 2015 - Support added

Right, let me get this back on track!

Week 17 - Heat

I struggled for this one. It was a bit of an opportunist shot taken at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, I spotted the hoses underneath the carriage, and in the absence of anything else thought it at least hit the theme. I had intended to have a proper go at landscape stuff with filters while we were over there, but spent the whole holiday as sick as a dog, so barely took the camera out... maybe next year eh?

Hands Off by Nick, on Flickr

Week 18 - Figures

My first ever Lego shot. Know the boy is of that age I knew I'd end up resorting to his toys sooner or later. It wasn't down to laziness or being stuck (honest), but it was the first thing that occurred to me when I read the theme. I turned it into a bit of a DOF experiment, but in the end opted for a gentle fall off.

Heroes by Nick, on Flickr

Week 19 - Household.

Again my first thought upon reading the theme, Royal Household Cavalry, but restricted to shooting at lunchtime everything came out a bit flat so I messed about with the processing, settling on a film like look (to me) to try and give it an old holiday snap feel. I went down there a couple of times, and ultimately opted for this chap partly due to the classic facial hair he's attempting (he's only young, bless him), and partly due to the 'eyes right' thing he's got going on... Kinda reminds me of Windsor Davies'.

On Guard by Nick, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! :)

Heat: Love it, it really shows something one wouldn't want to put ones hand on.

Figures: There's something about Lego people that I find creepy and unattractive so it's a 'non' from me. Having said that I haven't even put in an entry for figures as I have nothing.

Household: Cavalry, excellent interpretation of the theme and well-taken if a little bit dark on the horse.

Hi, I'd agree with Stan, a little more steam would be good, but you've captured the steam well.

Figures, on theme, bt needs a little more IMO, maybe have them squaring off.

Household, cracking 'tash there :) Yeah, shame out the harsh light.

Nice catch up.

Cheers.

Household - that's a beauty! Tone, colour, depth, reflections in the breastplate - and the look on the guardsman's face.. love it.

Good catch-up Nick.

Heat ... I really like, good detail, in the sun like that, with OOF stones in the BG.

Figures ... on theme, but think I'd prefer all three in focus.

Household ... on theme, in fact something I did consider doing. Good detail considering the harsh light.

Hi Nick ....hope you're feeling better.

Well done to spot the steam shot for Heat ...it definitely says don't touch.
I like Figures as they are ....I've been tempted more than once to raid the grandsons toys...it's bound to happen at some time!
Great one for Household ...I love his moustache/mustacheo_O...you've really captured the regal feel of the moment....really nicely done :)

Experiment - Stunning shot with great angle and lovely vibrant colours. I like the cropping as well

Heat - Definitely get the sense of heat (y)

Figures - Nice DOF (y)

Household - Nice composition and on theme, however on a technical note, the image looks generally soft, this may be caused by PP I'm not sure and his hand looks to be floating. Liking the sideways glance and the reflections show how polished the breastplate is.

A lovely set

Heat: Love it, it really shows something one wouldn't want to put ones hand on.

Figures: There's something about Lego people that I find creepy and unattractive so it's a 'non' from me. Having said that I haven't even put in an entry for figures as I have nothing.

Household: Cavalry, excellent interpretation of the theme and well-taken if a little bit dark on the horse.

Thanks! The Lego shot was a bit of a desperate lunge to be fair. I've seen others do it on bad weeks previously, and now the boy has grown in to it I've got plenty on potential subject matter. If I'm honest I much prefer out and about photography, but sometimes you just have to get an entry in. You're right about household, could do with a lift in the darks, unfortunately the processing look I was going for seems to have mede it worse.

Heat; you've captured the steam nicely. Personally I would like to see a bit more of the steam like in a portrait format.

Figure; nice placement of the Lego and the right amount of DoF

Household; well caught. I like to pp and the expression on his face.

Cheers! A portrait shot for heat never occurred to me. I do have a few with more steam, but none in portrait.

Hi, I'd agree with Stan, a little more steam would be good, but you've captured the steam well.

Figures, on theme, bt needs a little more IMO, maybe have them squaring off.

Household, cracking 'tash there :) Yeah, shame out the harsh light.

Nice catch up.

Cheers.

Thanks! I had wanted a 'here they come to save the day' feel to the Lego shot, with the focus gradually dropping off, but I couldn't find his Iron Man, then Batman Had the wrong head, and I couldn't work out which torso was Thor's and which was Ultron's, so I revised my expectations down. It was always going to be a top half only shot as I couldn't manage the background well enough for anything else. I do agree there's not much to it.

Household - that's a beauty! Tone, colour, depth, reflections in the breastplate - and the look on the guardsman's face.. love it.

Cheers! Those sideways glances seem to be pretty standard, both here, and at Buckingham Palace, Clarence House etc. They're constantly assessing their surroundings (although with the very heavily armed police that are now stationed there, it's probably not so crucial). You just have to wait for it. The 'tache was a gift!

Good catch-up Nick.

Heat ... I really like, good detail, in the sun like that, with OOF stones in the BG.

Figures ... on theme, but think I'd prefer all three in focus.

Household ... on theme, in fact something I did consider doing. Good detail considering the harsh light.

Thanks! I did take a deeper DOF version of figures, but given that there's not a lot to the shot in the first place, I felt that I ought to at least try to add some photographic interest. Household was a given... My first and only idea. To be honest, were it not for working withing walking distance of so many opportunities, I'd really struggle to keep up.

Hi Nick ....hope you're feeling better.

Well done to spot the steam shot for Heat ...it definitely says don't touch.
I like Figures as they are ....I've been tempted more than once to raid the grandsons toys...it's bound to happen at some time!
Great one for Household ...I love his moustache/mustacheo_O...you've really captured the regal feel of the moment....really nicely done :)

Cheers! The toys are a great quick fix, but I try to resist temptation, and relegate them to a reserve option... I nearly raided the babies blocks when alphabet was drawn though1

Experiment - Stunning shot with great angle and lovely vibrant colours. I like the cropping as well

Heat - Definitely get the sense of heat (y)

Figures - Nice DOF (y)

Household - Nice composition and on theme, however on a technical note, the image looks generally soft, this may be caused by PP I'm not sure and his hand looks to be floating. Liking the sideways glance and the reflections show how polished the breastplate is.

A lovely set

Thanks! I did notice that the depth of the shadow made the hand look as it it was disembodied in a way, but that made me think of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which I loved as a kid. Having revisited the original, it does appear that it's sharper than this version. I'm glad experiment works for you, it's probably my favourite so far.

Week 20 - Limit.

Ok, I'm prepared to concede that it doesn't scream 'limit', but that's not really the approach I've taken this year (or the last time I did this for that matter). These dragons are positioned at the limits of the City of London on all the main roads, facing out. This particular example is on the Victoria Embankment, just beyond Temple station. I decided on a close up shot rather than the sculpture in its entirety, as getting a shot without traffic furniture, scaffolding, lamposts, etc, was a nightmare.

London City Limits by Nick, on Flickr

Week 20 - Reshoot - Close up.

I had intended a flower shot for this theme the first time round, so decided to go for the reshoot. I took a few more close up than this,focusing on detail, but liked the way the slightly wider shots worked from a composition perepective.

Spring Has Sprung by Nick, on Flickr

Week 21 - Bizarre.

In my head this is on theme, but I'm not sure how it works as a image. I've always found it bizarre that the ground we walk upon keeps rising. I'm always fascinated by things like Time Team where theyre digging 10 foot trenches to find what they're looking for. It begs the questions, how big was the Earth to start with before we started dumping crap on it, and how long will it be until the moon is within arms reach?

This is a relatively recent example... On a little traffic island on the junction of Charing Cross Road and Old Compton Street there's a grate, beneath which is the remains of Little Compton Street, the painted street signs visible about 6 feet down, surviving remnants from the Victorian build up and regeneration of the area.... Ghosts of the past beneath your feet.

Little Compton Street by Nick, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. :)

Hi Nick

Limit ... what a clever interpretation, and very nicely shot. I once tried to get a decent shot of the one in Fleet St. ... not easy. (y)

Reshoot Close Up ... perfectly good flower shot. :exit:

Bizarre ... That is Bizarre isn't it? and most interesting, tho I don't believe it's anything to do with the ground we walk on rising ... but interesting theory. Very nicely shot with good light! (y)

Last edited:
Ni Nick,

:agree: with David about your ideas - limit & bizarre booth fit the theme very well when you know the back story, and the dragon's nice & sharp.

I love the flower shot - the dof is spot on :)

Heat - Like the shot, wasn't expecting steam railway shots on this thread ;)
Household - very clever, wish I had thought of that. Nicely framed shot.
Limit - You'd have to work in the city to get that without the explaination. Nice take on the subject that is unlikely to be replicated by anyone else on this challenge. Nice DoF and clean colours.
Bizarre - Great spot (or have you had this in your back pocket for ages?). I'm popping over to Shaftesbury Ave for a meeting tomorrow morning, so may see if I can find this (shame it's rude to copy as I've not got Bizarre yet!).

Limit - Wouldn't have got it without the explanation, but a cracking shot anyway.
Reshoot - Yes, that composition really makes up for it not being any closer.
Bizarre - Very interesting and most definitely bizarre.
:clap:

Hi Nick

Limit ... what a clever interpretation, and very nicely shot. I once tried to get a decent shot of the one in Fleet St. ... not easy. (y)

Reshoot Close Up ... perfectly good flower shot. :exit:

Bizarre ... That is Bizarre isn't it? and most interesting, tho I don't believe it's anything to do with the ground we walk on rising ... but interesting theory. Very nicely shot with good light! (y)

Thanks!

To be fair, the one in Fleet Street is a harder option, doesn't help that it's in the middle of the road! Not sure about the rising thing, I'll have to look into it... If you've been to see the remains of the old London wall, it feels like you have to go way beneath surface level to get to it. The light was tough, behind me so I struggled to not cast a shadow. To do it properly I guess a flash stuck down the grid, out of shot would be the way forward. I'd look like a right plonker setting that up in the middle of Charing Cross road though!

Ni Nick,

:agree: with David about your ideas - limit & bizarre booth fit the theme very well when you know the back story, and the dragon's nice & sharp.

I love the flower shot - the dof is spot on :)

Cheers! I'm relying a bit on back stories this year... If I can make the connection and provide an explanation, that's close enough for me.

Bizarre: Truly odd that they would just build on top of old stuff. However it happens elsewhere too; see this link to the Devil's Bridge in Wales where they have built three bridges, one on top of another. http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3400/3344147270_6daac2d43f_z.jpg

Wierd isn't it? Devils Bridge is a great looking thing. I'd love to visit, but I boycotted Wales about 10 years ago, due to their bike hating police force, and the fact that every visit cost me a fortune as a result. It's a pity as it's got some pretty photogenic places.

Heat - Like the shot, wasn't expecting steam railway shots on this thread ;)
Household - very clever, wish I had thought of that. Nicely framed shot.
Limit - You'd have to work in the city to get that without the explaination. Nice take on the subject that is unlikely to be replicated by anyone else on this challenge. Nice DoF and clean colours.
Bizarre - Great spot (or have you had this in your back pocket for ages?). I'm popping over to Shaftesbury Ave for a meeting tomorrow morning, so may see if I can find this (shame it's rude to copy as I've not got Bizarre yet!).

Thanks! I'm not at all averse to a steam railway... anything engineering related and I'm there! Bizarre was a back pocket job (I've got a fair old list in my head, without which I'd be way behind by now, desperate lunch hour sorties are my saviour). I spotted it on one of my far too frequent trips to Denmark Street and went and looked it up. Feel free to copy... It'd be nice to see it done properly! :D

Limit - Wouldn't have got it without the explanation, but a cracking shot anyway.
Reshoot - Yes, that composition really makes up for it not being any closer.
Bizarre - Very interesting and most definitely bizarre.
:clap:

Cheers! I can't help wishing I'd rotated the flower shot... Not fully sure why.

Week 22 - Broken.

Yay... A literal one!

My wife appears to be going through a bit of a clumsy phase, but due to lack of time, I'd not had chance to take the shot until she informed me that a courier was picking the phone up in 10 minutes, and that if I wanted to use it I'd better get on with it. Light in the flat was pretty poor by then so I upped the ISO a bit, which I don't generally like to do. There's a bit of noise as a result, but I can live with that I guess.

Hello - Goodbye by Nick, on Flickr

Week 23 - Entertain.

Well maybe....

I knew I had meetings down on the Greenwich Peninsula today and tomorrow, and so convinced myself that if I could get a decent shot out of the O2 or thereabouts, that would fit the theme... people do entertain there after all. I set off early giving myself half an hour to 'work the scene' (thanks for the advice Posiview). I had to fight my way through the middle aged mothers and 20-something daughters camping on the verges in advance of the Take That show tonight (honestly!), but eventually happened upon the shot below. a half reflection in a tiled wall. It was a sod to PP, as the light left me with an under exposed right side and an over exposed left, but I've tried to balance it as best I can. I popped back out during breaks throughout the day to try and get better light, but it was chock full of people by then. I went into the office thinking I'd stumbled upon a cliche shot previously unknown to me, but in a skim around the internet at lunchtime I was unable to find another shot like it. I've no doubt I'm not the first, but it's not as common a shot as I expected to find... Yay!

Reflected Dome by Nick, on Flickr

Hi Nick,

Broken - I like the interpretation, very much, very current. (Wouldn't it have been fun if the "Hello" screen read "Goodbye" to reflect it's condition ha ha?)

Entertainment - When I first looked I saw a single view image and thought to comment about the variance in contrast between left & right. It was only upon closer inspection, I saw the dividing line and then with the help of your notes, realised what I was looking at. Nicely spotted and very nicely taken Nick. Love it.

Gonna have to pick my favourite as time is against me.

Broken, I'd be gutted. Nice take on the theme. I'd like a little more light.

Cheers.

Wierd isn't it? Devils Bridge is a great looking thing. I'd love to visit, but I boycotted Wales about 10 years ago, due to their bike hating police force, and the fact that every visit cost me a fortune as a result. It's a pity as it's got some pretty photogenic places.

I feel the same (I ride too) but South Wales is not as bad as the North.

Blimey, I need a mega catch up on your thread.

In reverse order:

Entertain - I first thought it was a time lapse type pic with an early and late photo stitched together to explain the apparent exposure difference then I saw your explanation. Brilliantly spotted :clap:

Broken - Ouch, that looks financially painful

Bizarre - another well spotted pic Nick.

Limit - with your explanation it works really well, nice detail (y)

Household - Another good interpretation, loving his expression with that sideways glance :)

Figures - I like the fall off in DOF and the composition is spot on too. Nice colours

Heat - Blimey that looks a bit hot. Hope you are feeling better now.

Hi Nick,

Broken - oh dear, that' not good - I like the shot though ;)

Entertain - like Carl I didn't realise it was a reflection until I read what you'd written. Very nicely spotted and shot :clap:

Hi Nick,

Broken - I like the interpretation, very much, very current. (Wouldn't it have been fun if the "Hello" screen read "Goodbye" to reflect it's condition ha ha?)

Entertainment - When I first looked I saw a single view image and thought to comment about the variance in contrast between left & right. It was only upon closer inspection, I saw the dividing line and then with the help of your notes, realised what I was looking at. Nicely spotted and very nicely taken Nick. Love it.

Thanks! That would have been cool... or 'ouch'. Had I not been pushed for time to think about it, it could have been a much better shot.

Gonna have to pick my favourite as time is against me.

Broken, I'd be gutted. Nice take on the theme. I'd like a little more light.

Cheers.

Cheers! Me too to be honest. For the background I used the kitchen floor, and there's not much light down there. I did make a feeble attempt to light it, but couldn't do it without introducing annoying reflections, so went with what you can see.

I feel the same (I ride too) but South Wales is not as bad as the North.

True, I've only ever been 'taxed' in north Wales to be fair.

Blimey, I need a mega catch up on your thread.

In reverse order:

Entertain - I first thought it was a time lapse type pic with an early and late photo stitched together to explain the apparent exposure difference then I saw your explanation. Brilliantly spotted :clap:

Broken - Ouch, that looks financially painful

Bizarre - another well spotted pic Nick.

Limit - with your explanation it works really well, nice detail (y)

Household - Another good interpretation, loving his expression with that sideways glance :)

Figures - I like the fall off in DOF and the composition is spot on too. Nice colours

Heat - Blimey that looks a bit hot. Hope you are feeling better now.

Thanks... All better now! I appreciate the catch up.... I wish I was doing so well crit wise, but I'll get back on track somehow. I like the effect on Entertain, it was a happy accident. The reflection is in a deep blue tile type surface, and I think it's the effect that has on the sky that makes it look like it's an exposure thing.

Hi Nick,

Broken - oh dear, that' not good - I like the shot though ;)

Entertain - like Carl I didn't realise it was a reflection until I read what you'd written. Very nicely spotted and shot :clap:

Cheers! I got lucky with entertain... it looks much more complicated than it is.

Hi Nick

Broken ... delightfully bleak.

Entertain ... that's clever ...

It's just catch up after catch up at the moment... here's hoping for a little respite in the not too distant future!

Week 24 - Spiral.

had a couple of ideas for this, but shelved them due to lack of time, maybe I'll look at one of them for the next reshoot. This one... well it's a spring. Not much more I can say about it.

Spring has Sprung by Nick, on Flickr

Week 25 - Silhouette.

This one came out of a series of desperate walks looking for high contrast situations. I didn't expect to find it here, while travelling between locations. I had to up the contrast slightly to increase the effect, and I opted for mono, as it was 90% of the way there anyway.

Unheard by Nick, on Flickr

Week 26 - Animal.

Ok, so it's an insect, but it's still an animal (I checked :D). Camping with the kids last weekend and managed to grab 10 mins by myself down at the lake. Got a few Damselflies too, they don't stay still for long though. Settled for this Broad Bodied Chaser. I do have a head on shot, but the way the light falls on the eyes removes the odd mottled effect, I found the colours more pleasing on this one.

Hanging on in the Breeze by Nick, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:
Hi Nick. Nice catch-up.
Spiral: What I say is, Spring has sprung.
Silhouette: I really like that - neither manufactured nor boring (like my teapot). I quite like the shadows on the deck. :clap:
Animal: I too looked up the definition as the chances are that my offering will be an insect of some sort, so Yes it is themed. Lovely detail - I have tried majy times and failed to get a decent image like that. I now realise from your write-up that perhaps I've been chasing Damselflies - I wouldn't know the difference I'm afraid.

Hi, love the silhouette shot and a nice shot of the dragonfly lovely clean BG

Well it's a spring ... and I can't really think of a better way of shooting a spring.

Silhouette is interesting ... yes, up the contrast, convert to mono and hey presto.

Animal ... I'm not really one for macro insects - maybe if I lived in the country I would be - but this I do like, nicely done, against a clean BG too. (y)

Hi Nick :)

Sorry, looks like I have missed your thread for a bit too,,, so a quick catch up from me...

Heat - It fits the theme fine for me, not all shots have to be time consuming, some grab shots just like this one fit the bill perfectly, Pipework, clips, drips of water and steam, and focus separating the subject from the background - nowt missing there mate :)

Figures - Nice selective focus, maybe the exposure could go up a tad, other than that well composed and well worth the borrowing from your lad :)

Household - Nice choice for the theme again, certainly the only one of these I have seen for it... again would like to see a bit more shadow detail, but as you say when time is of the essence I think you have done well with what ypou got, love the look on his face, Windsor Davies sure made me smile when I read that after looking at the pic :D

Limit - Hmmmm definite shoehorn shot but liking the idea, the head sure stands out nicely against the tree background :)

Re-Shoot Close up - Lovely detail on both the flower and the leaves, not sure on the composition myself, as with both items nice and sharp and both in the corners of the frame I can't tell what the main object is, my eyes are drawn to the leaf.. having said that, they are both nicely exposed and great colours :)

Bizarre - Well I certainly didn't guess the link in this one until I read the description (I Always look at the image first) well that certainly is odd, who would have guessed to look down there !!!

Broken - Ah Haaaa yes a very literal one, shame the screen didn't have 'Goodbye' on it :D, I'm liking the angle, and the exposure works fine for me too :)

Entertain - Nice idea with the reflection, nice bright image and an original idea, the bright blue sky and fluffy clouds really set this off nicely :)

Spiral - A nice spring coming in from the corner, good detail on the end, although I'd like to see the DoF a tad deeper so more of it is in focus, but not all of it... not that I am a fussy old git :D but really nicely separated from the background again :)

Silhouette - Nice one to stumble across this Nick, odd how that seems to happen when looking for ideas, the shot works well with the busker and the other guy, it sure would not work without either of them, I like the wall leading in from the left too, the tiles lead my eye nicely, works well :)

Animal - I think we ALL checked if we could get away with an insect :D - and what a cracker this is too, excellent detail, Loooooovely colours, and a pleasing composition... and a cracking background too, I know these buggers do not stay still for long, well captured :clap:

Blimey... didn't realise I was THAT far behind on yours.... back up to date now :)

I sincerely apologise for the tardiness of my replies. I'm getting notifications on my phone and that's about it, the chance to sit down at a computer outside work has been practically non-existent recently, but hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel. Please don't take this as a lack of appreciation, as it's most certainly not.

Hi Nick. Nice catch-up.
Spiral: What I say is, Spring has sprung.
Silhouette: I really like that - neither manufactured nor boring (like my teapot). I quite like the shadows on the deck. :clap:
Animal: I too looked up the definition as the chances are that my offering will be an insect of some sort, so Yes it is themed. Lovely detail - I have tried majy times and failed to get a decent image like that. I now realise from your write-up that perhaps I've been chasing Damselflies - I wouldn't know the difference I'm afraid.

Thanks! I'm no great shakes at identifying insects either and usually have to look them up. Generally though, Damselflies are those skinny, stick-like, neon beasties. They're pretty bloody fast. I may be wrong (I often am), but it seems that the dragonfly types have places that they return to... round for a bit of a patrol, then back to base, so to speak. It's handy, because once I realised I could just stand and wait for it to return and have another few attempts.

Three nice shots.

Spiral; like the idea, good composition and good use of dof too.

Silhouette; well spotted and I like it.

Animal; very nice shot, sharp and spot on focus with nice colours too.

Cheers! I did up the saturation a tiny bit on Animal, just to pop it a little.

Hi, love the silhouette shot and a nice shot of the dragonfly lovely clean BG

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with the way silhouette came out. I did hang around afterwards, waiting for a better opportunity, but the busker twigged and started giving me odd glances, so I had to settle for what I'd got in camera. I got lucky with the BG in the dragonfly shot, it's just the murky water of the lake, but it provides a nice neutral canvas for the subject.

Well it's a spring ... and I can't really think of a better way of shooting a spring.

Silhouette is interesting ... yes, up the contrast, convert to mono and hey presto.

Animal ... I'm not really one for macro insects - maybe if I lived in the country I would be - but this I do like, nicely done, against a clean BG too. (y)

Cheers! Yup, there is an element of cheating to silhouette I suppose, and in a nutshell you've just described the method! I know what you mean about macro insects, but I do love some of the really intense, stacked, ultra macro shots. I don't own any dedicated macro kit though, and this one was just Nikon 70-300VR. Not a flashy lens, but surprisingly versatile I've found, and sharp enough in the right conditions.

Really liking the silhouette shot, tells a story (especially after seeing your title for the picture)

Thanks! To be honest, that's kind of constructed. There were a couple of girls coming towards the camera to the right of the frame in the full image, but it was a little messy as it was. I took this crop, and it lent it the feeling of isolation on the part of the busker, which gave me the title. I'm not much of a proper street photographer, and as such I'm not bound by the whole 'short lens-get in close-no cropping' thing that may of those guys subscribe to nowadays. As far as I'm concerned, it's the final image that matters... how I arrive at that is immaterial.

Hi Nick :)

Sorry, looks like I have missed your thread for a bit too,,, so a quick catch up from me...

Heat - It fits the theme fine for me, not all shots have to be time consuming, some grab shots just like this one fit the bill perfectly, Pipework, clips, drips of water and steam, and focus separating the subject from the background - nowt missing there mate :)

Figures - Nice selective focus, maybe the exposure could go up a tad, other than that well composed and well worth the borrowing from your lad :)

Household - Nice choice for the theme again, certainly the only one of these I have seen for it... again would like to see a bit more shadow detail, but as you say when time is of the essence I think you have done well with what ypou got, love the look on his face, Windsor Davies sure made me smile when I read that after looking at the pic :D

Limit - Hmmmm definite shoehorn shot but liking the idea, the head sure stands out nicely against the tree background :)

Re-Shoot Close up - Lovely detail on both the flower and the leaves, not sure on the composition myself, as with both items nice and sharp and both in the corners of the frame I can't tell what the main object is, my eyes are drawn to the leaf.. having said that, they are both nicely exposed and great colours :)

Bizarre - Well I certainly didn't guess the link in this one until I read the description (I Always look at the image first) well that certainly is odd, who would have guessed to look down there !!!

Broken - Ah Haaaa yes a very literal one, shame the screen didn't have 'Goodbye' on it :D, I'm liking the angle, and the exposure works fine for me too :)

Entertain - Nice idea with the reflection, nice bright image and an original idea, the bright blue sky and fluffy clouds really set this off nicely :)

Spiral - A nice spring coming in from the corner, good detail on the end, although I'd like to see the DoF a tad deeper so more of it is in focus, but not all of it... not that I am a fussy old git :D but really nicely separated from the background again :)

Silhouette - Nice one to stumble across this Nick, odd how that seems to happen when looking for ideas, the shot works well with the busker and the other guy, it sure would not work without either of them, I like the wall leading in from the left too, the tiles lead my eye nicely, works well :)

Animal - I think we ALL checked if we could get away with an insect :D - and what a cracker this is too, excellent detail, Loooooovely colours, and a pleasing composition... and a cracking background too, I know these buggers do not stay still for long, well captured :clap:

Blimey... didn't realise I was THAT far behind on yours.... back up to date now :)

Thanks Dean, that's a mega catch up. Totally unnecessary, but appreciated nontheless. I hope I can get in a position to reciprocate at some stage.

I see you noticed the few shoehorn shots... That's pretty standard for me this year, partly through lack of time, but also partly through not wanting to take the same shot as anyone else. If I can make the connection in my head and describe it adequately, that's enough for me. I'll take a literal shot if there's one that appeals, but I'm not worried is I'm a little obscure.

Something was bugging me about the close-up reshoot, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was... and you've just nailed it, thanks. I should have picked a shot with the bloom closer to the camera, for that seperation. I'd have loved to have 'goodbye' in the broken shot, but having taken her SIM out for the imminent courier collection, this was the best I could get out of it. More DOF for the spring never occurred to me. That was my most desperate shot this year (so far), and with more DOF it would just be a shot of a spring... rather than my 'high art' blurry spring! :D

Right (inhales deeply)... Here goes!

Week 27 - Medical/Medicine.

A rare literal submission for this one. My wife's stethoscope (if I'm not stating the obvious), but I wanted to give the shot a sense of the medical, like dumped on a hospital work surface after a hard day. I shot it on a piece of white foamboard that I usually use as a reflector, backlit by a large window, and that I blew it out further in PP. It's close to the image I had in mind.

After a hard day... by Nick, on Flickr

Week 28 - Proverb.

I settled on 'There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle'. A bit of a liberty, as I have no proof of the age of the instrument, and how good the tune was is pretty subjective! I opted for this one as I knew I had a folk festival coming up that weekend and there would be a few opportunities. There's a fair bit of noise, which I've clumsily tried to get around with the mono conversion, and the mic stand seems to be sharper than the subject which bugs me slightly, but I like her expression, and sad as it is Rachael McShane (of Bellowhead, if that means anything to anyone) was by far the most easy on the eye violinist available that day.

Old Fiddle by Nick, on Flickr

Week 29 - Pale.

Pale imitation... You are not, and never will be a wasp! Oh, look at me, I'm all stripey and dangerous... scatter before me as I launch my assault on your sugary drink (for that split second before you realise I'm a harmless fake). Ok, it was an opportunist shot, taken while walking back from the park with the kids. I had the 35mm 1.8 on, so got as close as I could, then cropped a fair bit. It's a bit of a desperate shot, but I do like the movement in the wings, and the BG against the colours of the subject.

Pale Imitation by Nick, on Flickr

Week 30 - Tear.

The Mrs wouldn't let me tell the kids I'd just run Santa over... so this is plan B. Still life isn't really my thing, but I'm quite pleased with the reflection idea. I struggled with composition though, and it still doesn't feel quite right, but this was the best of the bunch.

Chopping by Nick, on Flickr

Week 31 - Words.

The theme was drawn just before My lunch break, so I figured I'd just head on up to the British Library and see what happened. This is a detail from the iron gate. I chose this close, graphic shot, as it was pretty busy up there an a warm summer lunchtime, and my wider views were confounded by random people in shot. I'd have liked a slightly more varied sky behind it, or a solid blue, but sometimes you just have to take what's available.

Gateway by Nick, on Flickr

Hi Nick,
Medical - looks like great and the DOF is spot on for me.
Proverb - Focus is on the Mic stand, shame really, as you say she has a nice expression.
Pale - Great shot to catch the little bugger. I too like the wings, gives a really sense of the speed they move and the background is perfectly OOF
Tears - Nice colours and I like the reflection on the knife.
Words - I see what you mean about the sky, but as you say you've got to work with what's there. Still nice though.

Hi Nick. A good catch-up again:
Medical: Nice choice of prop. Like the DoF and arrangement. Very little colour in the image so perhaps worth a conversion to b&w - would that add anything to the image, only an olde worlde feel maybe ?!?
Proverb: I quite like the image overall and the (seemingly smoky) atmosphere most of all. As the proverb relates to the fiddle, then perhaps the instrument should be the focus point. I'd be happy with the image in it's own right regardless.
Pale: Brilliant capture - sharp and detailed. Quick on the draw. Yes, I agree about the DoF too.
Tears: Great response to the theme. Love the colour, concentric circles and the reflection.
Words: Know what you mean about the sky but it does help give a graduated bg which otherwise would give a single and possibly bland (?) feel to the image as a whole.

Hiya Nick. :wave: I sneaked in when you weren't looking!

Well done on the catch up just in time for Friday. I really like all your shots here. Welcome back.

First rate stuff Nick ....

Medical ... love the extreme focus, white reflective surface/BG with OOF ear pieces in the air like that.

Proverb ... even if it was by accident, the in-focus mic stand with softer fiddler is effective.

Pale ... those hover flies are quite predictable and therefore photogenic. But still, what an amazing capture.

Tear ... that reflection really makes it.

Words ... really fitting. And solid blue sky not required.

Hi Nick,
Medical - looks like great and the DOF is spot on for me.
Proverb - Focus is on the Mic stand, shame really, as you say she has a nice expression.
Pale - Great shot to catch the little bugger. I too like the wings, gives a really sense of the speed they move and the background is perfectly OOF
Tears - Nice colours and I like the reflection on the knife.
Words - I see what you mean about the sky, but as you say you've got to work with what's there. Still nice though.

Thanks! The hoverfly was a quite straightforward shot, as fast as they are, they do tend to stay in one place for a little while before moving on.

Hi Nick. A good catch-up again:
Medical: Nice choice of prop. Like the DoF and arrangement. Very little colour in the image so perhaps worth a conversion to b&w - would that add anything to the image, only an olde worlde feel maybe ?!?
Proverb: I quite like the image overall and the (seemingly smoky) atmosphere most of all. As the proverb relates to the fiddle, then perhaps the instrument should be the focus point. I'd be happy with the image in it's own right regardless.
Pale: Brilliant capture - sharp and detailed. Quick on the draw. Yes, I agree about the DoF too.
Tears: Great response to the theme. Love the colour, concentric circles and the reflection.
Words: Know what you mean about the sky but it does help give a graduated bg which otherwise would give a single and possibly bland (?) feel to the image as a whole.

Cheers. The more I look at that bloody mic stand, the more it annoys me. It was taken from the back of a pretty big crowd, I just... well... missed!
I did do a mono conversion of Medical, but found that the little hint of colour really helped.

Hiya Nick. :wave: I sneaked in when you weren't looking!

Well done on the catch up just in time for Friday. I really like all your shots here. Welcome back.

I noticed you slip back in there. Thank god for that... the bovine content of this years project has been pretty low (I did slip one in early on in your absence). Glad you're back on the case!

First rate stuff Nick ....

Medical ... love the extreme focus, white reflective surface/BG with OOF ear pieces in the air like that.

Proverb ... even if it was by accident, the in-focus mic stand with softer fiddler is effective.

Pale ... those hover flies are quite predictable and therefore photogenic. But still, what an amazing capture.

Tear ... that reflection really makes it.

Words ... really fitting. And solid blue sky not required.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about tear, and I'm still not. I like the reflection, but there's something I can't put my finger on... Hmmm?

[QUOTE="Thanks. I wasn't sure about tear, and I'm still not. I like the reflection, but there's something I can't put my finger on... Hmmm?[/QUOTE]
Don't suppose placing a knife, maybe a wider blade, behind so that it reflects the straggly roots at the rear - may help to contrast with the smooth sliced side ?!?

Medical; spot on theme and great DoF
Proverb; like it and the B&W conversion works well
Pale; great focus and DoF. Prefect timing too.
Tear; nice pattern but like to see more of the knife with the reflection
Words; like that, don't mind the sky at all. In actual fact I love the blue and white sky background to break that duo tone feel. Could do with slight distortion correction of the verticals.

Back