weekly Purplepleasers 2016 52 Flora

Hi Lee, I think my monitor must need recalibration because I can barely make out anything behind the sign. It's an interesting take and definitely made me wonder what / how it was composed. Thought provoking and I won't comment on it possibly needing more light on the building because that could well be a problem at my end rather than the camera's!

Abandoned - this made me smile I like the shadow on the wall.
Camouflage - he certainly is not obvious shame he wasn't reading so you didn't get the shot you wanted.
Danger - good idea for the theme the sign really stands out.

A very unusual one that Lee, I agree it stands out from the background nicely, and that sign is enough to give anybody the hump :)
Hi Lee, great capture for dangerous. I really like it. The high contrast really adds to the feel of the image :)
Hi Lee

I like your dangerous image a nice simple take on the theme love the B&W conversion
Hi Lee, I think my monitor must need recalibration because I can barely make out anything behind the sign. It's an interesting take and definitely made me wonder what / how it was composed. Thought provoking and I won't comment on it possibly needing more light on the building because that could well be a problem at my end rather than the camera's!
Abandoned - this made me smile I like the shadow on the wall.
Camouflage - he certainly is not obvious shame he wasn't reading so you didn't get the shot you wanted.
Danger - good idea for the theme the sign really stands out.
Just a tad less central for me on the Danger shor and it would be perfect :clap::clap:

Thanks for the replies, Paul, maybe you are right, either the brightness could be upped or I should try the RAW files for more control. I will have to wait as my computer is pants. All my images are edited in the Flickr built in photo editor Aviary? (shame on me).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, Paul, maybe you are right, either the brightness could be upped or I should try the RAW files for more control. I will have to wait as my computer is pants. All my images are edited in the Flickr built in photo editor Aviary? (shame on me).
Hiya Lee, it's ok - I've recalibrated my monitor and looking at it on Flickr, there's a good difference now and I can make out the background. Impressive that you're just using Aviary to end up with these images - your SOOC shots are better than mine :)

RAW only gives you more control if you have an editor which can take that format - not sure about Aviary, so worth looking at. RAW will capture greater dynamic range though, which can be useful for B&W...

Hi, took this on the way to work tonight, whilst in traffic. I spotted this the other day but couldn't get the angle. I wanted. Unfortunately I was resting the camera on the car door so his ended up a bit wonky. I have straightened this to the road line and not the bus, my thinking was/is that it would be quite tight if I straightened the bus and cropped the road to about the painted white line.

I am happy for now and might try again on my tablet when I get home.

Fuji X100T

TP 52 WK-8 Topical (EU In or Out.) by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Lee. Well seen works for the theme, like it :) I read up above about a buses theme, havn't seen them.Off to work now shall look later.

Gaz

Really like the BW conversion of the bus and I personally think the crop/rotation is fine, as you say the white line is horizontal. Good interpretation of the theme

Yes, I think it looks great in b&w too Lee. I see your quandary about straightening but you know what, if you had the bus straight then maybe that would lose some interest. This way, it is a bit quirky and adds that extra feature when viewing it. Nice detail from a shot taken with the camera propped on car door. :clap:

Well spotted Lee, nice processing :)

7 day Megarider only £13.50? No wonder everyone's talking about it! Oh, right: the film. Great idea choosing something which is of the moment, but not a newsitem, as so many of us have focussed on.

topical, i am not sure why, but as everyone else seems to think so it must be, a very interesting and different take on the theme which after all the EU laziness makes a nice change

Thanks for your comments, i think this 52 challenge for me is making a image from nothing, i had a instant idea with the metal theme, the rest have been quite fortunate. This Topical theme is more about the wording of the film than the films content (i still haven't looked what the films about):D. My thinking is that voting in or out in the referendum there will be problems and with Parliament being in London it made the theme click in my weird brain.

Looking forward to the rest of the theme's. I will try and play catch up commenting on everyone's thread asap.

Last edited:
Well spotted and great B&W conversion! But I'm not so sure about the film :whistle:

Hi Lee, a quick catch-up from me as it's my first visit to your thread. I'm still catching up with my themes but thanks for dropping into my thread and I'll try to keep up to date with yours in future!

Metal - I like your idea and the title, and the narrow DOF makes the pedal stand out in almost 3D fashion.
Captive - well spotted! Could maybe do with a little tweak in PP to bring up the contrast but I like the way both the models and your reflection are captive in the window.
Miniature - a very crisp shot. I saw the smaller/lower mannequin and guessed that was what you had spotted.
Happy - another well seen shot, good artwork by the artist and it works well in B&W.
Abandoned - made me smile when I saw it. Well done for keeping up with the themes when working such long hours and this is another well spotted opportunity.
Camouflage - I had to look twice at the image to see the assistant so I'd say mission accomplished!
Danger - another different take on a theme so well done for the original idea and also the image, which really stands out on the page.
Topical - another good idea and well seen subject. Topical both for the new film and also the current EU uncertainty, and a very interesting image again.

I've enjoyed visiting and will be following in future (y)

Dangerous. What a great shot, almost abstract but still clearly on theme.

Topical. I saw that ad on a bus yesterday, so clearly topical. Nice processing too.

Hi Lee, a quick catch-up from me as it's my first visit to your thread. I'm still catching up with my themes but thanks for dropping into my thread and I'll try to keep up to date with yours in future!

Metal - I like your idea and the title, and the narrow DOF makes the pedal stand out in almost 3D fashion.
Captive - well spotted! Could maybe do with a little tweak in PP to bring up the contrast but I like the way both the models and your reflection are captive in the window.
Miniature - a very crisp shot. I saw the smaller/lower mannequin and guessed that was what you had spotted.
Happy - another well seen shot, good artwork by the artist and it works well in B&W.
Abandoned - made me smile when I saw it. Well done for keeping up with the themes when working such long hours and this is another well spotted opportunity.
Camouflage - I had to look twice at the image to see the assistant so I'd say mission accomplished!
Danger - another different take on a theme so well done for the original idea and also the image, which really stands out on the page.
Topical - another good idea and well seen subject. Topical both for the new film and also the current EU uncertainty, and a very interesting image again.

I've enjoyed visiting and will be following in future (y)

Wow, Andrea thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them.

On a break.

Spotted these tree roots that have broken through a tarmac path. I think that this image looks like Rhino or Elephant skin too. Might be a touch dark, might mess again in Aviary at a later date.

Fuji X100T + WCL-X100

TP 52 WK-9 The Living World (Roots) by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cracking idea for theme ;)

Very good interpretation, nicely captured a well choosen subject with good details

A very abstract response yet spot on for the theme Lee. (No link to here from the main page by the way). Yes, agree about the choice for b&w and the composition works really well. :clap:

That's a very unusual choice for the theme Lee, I doubt anybody else would have thought of that !!!

Liking your composition and the finger looking roots, the B&W really adds to the conjoining of the elements... nice one (y)
Cracking idea for theme ;)

Very good interpretation, nicely captured a well choosen subject with good details
A very abstract response yet spot on for the theme Lee. (No link to here from the main page by the way). Yes, agree about the choice for b&w and the composition works really well. :clap:

thanks for popping in and commenting, I appreciate your time. I have added a link now, I was on my tablet last night.

Hi Lee - Topical is a solid shot for the theme but is lacking a bit of punch for me. Leaving the road in has helped give it a sense of depth and perspective but for me has confused the composition slightly - is the part of "Only" a message or not? Likewise, it gives you a dilemma on how to straighten the image. I might have been tempted to set the white point closer to the light grey of the bus, rather than the sky as blowing the sky out in the windows wouldn't be an issue for me, but the slight lack of dynamic range within the image (it's all a bit grey) probably does contribute to the lack of punch.

Living World - tree roots are a fab picture. You have depth from the shadow and highlights which also gives great texture to the ground. In fact, when I saw the image first without your explanation I thought it was a fossil being excavated - part of a three-toed foot of a dinosaur perhaps! Of course, that would have been an ironic take of living world and I was pleased to find it was "just" a tree root :)

What a great idea for living world, Lee, well spotted and captured :)

Didnt need an explanation living world is just an instant winner of an image.Never would have thought of it in a zillion years but fits so well can't hold nature back. Fab Fab fab. Inspiring too!

Gaz

Unfortunatly I will most likely follow the crowd with some leafy subject or other :)

Back