weekly Purplepleasers 2016 52 Flora

Yes, #1 for me too Lee - excellent spot and interpretation. I like that reflection allows you to look back by looking forward .... if you know what I mean.

Hi Lee, great news about your Dad (y)

I really like your first shot for horizontal - it just works. I think a lot of your images have a great sense of "story" and you clearly have a talent for your own brand of street photography... I really enjoy seeing your pictures each week :clap:

Two very good takes as usual Lee, I agree with your pick of the first for the theme, there are some good horizontal elements which are emphasised by the framing.

Thanks Chris, appreciate the comment

Two good takes on the theme....but the first tips the scale...
Two nice takes on the theme I think No1 tales it for me
There are lots of interesting elements to that first shot - but I do like the simplicity of the second, too. It's great to hear good news about your dad, Lee.
Two well taken shots and B&W works well for both. I think the first just edged it as I found the second image a bit busy with so many going on and your eyes just wonder all over.
Well seen Lee, but i prefer the sports shop.
Yes, #1 for me too Lee - excellent spot and interpretation. I like that reflection allows you to look back by looking forward .... if you know what I mean.
Hi Lee, great news about your Dad (y)

I really like your first shot for horizontal - it just works. I think a lot of your images have a great sense of "story" and you clearly have a talent for your own brand of street photography... I really enjoy seeing your pictures each week :clap:
Hi Lee ....I agree with Paul ...you have a way of spotting things most of us wouldn't notice ....another two very excellent photo's there.

Hope your Dads still doing well.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I do see the world in a different way by the looks of it. ha-ha. I really like the first on repeated views, will leave the second photo for the replies
My dad has improved but has pneumonia, been walking with the aid of the physiotherapists for short distances maybe 10 meters or so.Unbelievably lucky according to the top doctors at the hospital un heard of is the words that are being used. Sometimes it seems hard to get my head round.

thanks again for popping into my thread.

Hi

Been a busy week again, work, hospital but no gym. Dads on the mend, might be out of hospital in a week to a recovery place. Result.

I had a few ideas for Vast, some I never managed the time or had the energy to go and take a photograph of, Chill Factore at the Trafford Centre and Beecham Tower in Manchester. Whilst on the way home from the hospital the other day I remembered the old gas towers at Phillips Park near MCFC Etihad Stadium. So after a night turn I thought lets have it, Typical, Manchester hardly a cloud in the sky at 0615. These are what they are not brill not bad. The perspective could do with tweaking but I am happy I managed a photograph this week. I prefer the first because of the sky. The second, not sure if the cross clouds/contrails add or detract.

Edit to add.....

these are two different gas tower things, the dark full framed one was shot through a metal fence and the second shot is another tower from the middle of the main road. That explains the different contrast between the two because of the suns position.

TP 52 WK-16 Vast by L D Middleton, on Flickr

TP 52 WK-16 Vast by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice idea, I remember loads of these as a kid but don't see many around these days. I agree with Carl, I prefer the second one as the framework stands out more against the sky.

Pleased to hear your dad's on the mend, hope it continues.

Horizontal - two very good images for the theme, think if I had to choose it would be the second one.
Vast - Difficult to choose between the two so not going to try:) - both very good images.

I really loved the first of these...til I scrolled down to the second! Both very strong shots, but the crop and darkness of the second really emphasises the vastness I think. The perspective looks great to me, no niggles to detract from all those wonderful lines and shapes. So pleased to hear your dad is coming out soon, too.

Hi second one for me I think the crossing clouds echo the impressive structure of the gas tower, as someone said above there are not many of these about these days

Horizontal - two interesting pictures for the theme
Vast I like the second one best the darker contrast is more imposing.

I like them both, good to see the contrasting differences. Nice work.

There's a few of these dotted around London, some listed, and some incorporated into parkland.

Both good and nice to see the contrast and the difference the position of the sun makes but for me the second just edges it for the slightly closer crop and the higher contrast.

Lee, the gas holders are great. Are they still in use ? Reason for asking is that I have worked on these in the past and quite a few are being demolished. The gas is being stored underground in high pressure pipes. Some are actually listed.
Just think the top is roughly 10-12" wide just enough to walk around one step at a time. I think I have some old pictures from the top of the ones in Bath, quite interesting as its called the crown and with the angle actually looks like a crown.
Babbling on sorry but great photo

Chris

Nice trio Lee, tough call, but I think the flaky paint has the edge.

#1 and #2 for different reasons, for me #2 has it graphically but #1 is a very good response to the theme.

3 Great images for Rough Lee (putting anorak on) the first on is either a MK1 or MK2 Mini or maybe a Mini Van/Pick Up as it has sliding windows after 1969 they had winding windows) (takes anorak off) It's between No 1 and 2 for me I think No2 just edges it as No1 makes me feel sad seeing a little Mini left like that!

Sorry, am a bit late here, but I’m glad to hear that your dad’s on the mend. :)

Horizontal - Two very visually interesting photos. I like the first one very much. Both the reflected image on the window and the actual main image are nicely composed! ;)

Vast - A good alternative idea for the theme. :) I like the second one especially because of the contrast and also filling the frame makes it more impactful.

Rough - Yeah, definitely liking the first one. I didn’t know what it was from a first quick glance but the lines and textures just look appealing.

Back