weekly rpn's 52 Photo Challenge 2022 - Week 52 SHOWCASE and COMPLETE

Lots of lights. An impactful shot.
the domes look great.
How did you do this?

Reactions: rpn
That is lovely - thanks Stan for sharing.

Thank you, Paul.

Very effective! What's a light dome?

Its basically a creative light painting photography. An old bicycle wheel with spindle and LED lights attached to the edge. You spin/rotate the wheel while the camera shutter is opened.

HERE

Alley and heavy are two images that are very well done, really do like the light shot leads the viewer right in.

Thanks, Dave for the catch-up comments.

That is very effective. It works really well with the blue contrasting with the orange. Excellent!

Thanks, Bebop. I'm surprise that it makes into In Explore on Flickr.

Heavy - I definitely done a double take with the weight measured, that bird would have no chance of taking off

Light - A great fan of the light painting which works well with the background, one of my favourites from this theme

Heavy - I definitely done a double take with the weight measured, that bird would have no chance of taking off

Light - A great fan of the light painting which works well with the background, one of my favourites from this theme

Thanks, Stuart. That was my idea for being not too obvious.

Glad you like the Light shot.

Blimey, there are so many good shots on here this week, and this is another corker.Great foreground, middle ground and background with great light rays!

Blimey, there are so many good shots on here this week, and this is another corker.Great foreground, middle ground and background with great light rays!

Thanks, Simon for the nice words. My initial intention was just a long exposure of the harbour lights and then I spotted the light dome wheel hanging in the garage and thought I like to add that in the shot plus I've only done the light painting domes once before and quite a while ago. I'm happy with the end result.

According to Oxford Dictionary Damp is defined as slightly wet and Wet is defined as covered with or containing liquid, especially water. To me, there's a very fine line between damp and wet unless there is a scale for wetness like temperature!

Anyway, it has been raining here in the last 24 hours until this late afternoon. I decided to head out to the University Campus hoping to get this week's theme when I spotted these patches of slightly wet puddles. :) For those who has been taking part in this Challenge would recongise this building, Aberdeen University Library aka Sir Duncan Rice Library , which I've used for numerous themes before.

Week 09 Damp

Damp by Stan, on Flickr

Last edited:
That’s good.
I agree it looks more damp than wet.
I too conjured with the same scale of damp and wet,

Nice light falling on the "damp" ground, did you consider a crop from the right removing the walkway(?), with the text above I want to read it instead of looking at the main body of the image to a degree.

Nice light falling on the "damp" ground, did you consider a crop from the right removing the walkway(?), with the text above I want to read it instead of looking at the main body of the image to a degree.

Thanks, Stuart. I have some shots without the Fraser Noble Building on the right. However, I like the diagonal line (steel bar) leading the viewers into the more interesting Library building.

I'll have a go at cloning out the letters to lessen the distractions.

That works really nicely, and yes I’d agree that there’s a significant amount of subjectivity on the difference between campy and wet.
The overall light and reflections make this and I like the colours too.

@StuartPearson

Here's the edited version. I firstly cloned out the building name and that resulted an even bigger distraction with two big blue and white lines. Then I cropped out the sign altogether and, I agree with you, it makes a stronger image. Still plenty of Damp puddles to fit the theme.

Damp by Stan, on Flickr

Very nice, lovely colours and feeling from the image.

Nice damp 'movie wetdown' pic.

• Haha
I really like the leading lines in the cobbles that take you to the building. It fits the theme well.

I didn't notice the sign until Stuart mentioned it. I think both versions work.

I think the whole composition is more effective because of the time of day you've chosen to shoot. Much more interesting with the colours and the lights than it might be in daytime. Very nice shot.

Nice damp 'movie wetdown' pic.

Thanks, Dave. :)

I really like the leading lines in the cobbles that take you to the building. It fits the theme well.

I didn't notice the sign until Stuart mentioned it. I think both versions work.

I think the whole composition is more effective because of the time of day you've chosen to shoot. Much more interesting with the colours and the lights than it might be in daytime. Very nice shot.

Thanks, Bebop. As we all photographers know that light is the main ingredient in our hobby. Time of day does make a difference to the image.

Lovely blue hour shot Stan. Just the right amount of dampness too, I reckon.

I like the edit but still like the first as it has more space around the main building.

I kinda like the first edit, the RHS leads into the building. The sky and the lights reflected on the floor are great in both.

I prefer the uncropped version, leads me into the picture more. The highlights of the streetlights work really well.

I kinda like the first edit, the RHS leads into the building. The sky and the lights reflected on the floor are great in both.

I prefer the uncropped version, leads me into the picture more. The highlights of the streetlights work really well.

Thank you, Nick and Alan.

Great shot Stan. We have a building with a similar look to it near me.

Great shot Stan. We have a building with a similar look to it near me.

Thanks, Bill. It's a very modern building compared with the rest of the buildings on the campus as the University was founded back in 1495. It was designed by Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects and was conceived to mark the ice and light of the north.

Back