Severn Bore's 52 for 2017

Hi Andrew,

Smoke - Idea is good, but I'm afraid that for me I would have preferred the smoke in focus rather than the cigar.
Not that I tried doing anything like that and copped out with a train pic ;)

Vivid - Good use of shallow DoF to emphasis the difference between the colours in the subject leaves and the background.

Large - OooooKaaaaay, that is a large coach bolt. Susie is right, it does lean, it's evidently not 90' to the base, as the base is more or less horizontal (ever so slight tilt).

Let me guess, you've been to Berlin? Great catch-up, a few stand out for me.
Dark - the last few remaining bits of the Wall certainly make an interesting photographic subject. Well composed with strong leading diagonals and a very dramatic sky.
Architecture - the little people in front of the MP's offices (?) give a great sense of scale. Well composed, the eye of the viewer is drawn into the circle in the middle, and great light. Shame about cutting off the roof on the right...
Minimalist - Great light, the photo has an almost abstract feel to it, and it's very minimalist.

Great set Andrew, Love the architecture and the dusk shot of the ruined church . You got that deep sky just before it gets dark and fantastic contrast with the modern "thing" beside it. Might have been worth trying to clone out the flare on the left?

Love the minimalist building, all the better for being in B&W.

I also like those line in minimalistic, the leading lines with people in Dark. (y)

Hi Andrew, for some reason I've missed your thread apart from the first week, probably due to my own catch-up, so I've just looked back and picked my favourites so far.

The frost was an excellent take on the Hairy theme with the light just picking out the icy points, Mineral is a frame-filling macro with perfect lighting to bring out the shapes and angles, and Routine is another good take on the theme and works really well as a montage. The cigar is another good idea for Smoke and well captured with the smoke spiralling away to the top of the frame, and I like the colour in the cigar itself, Architecture is an unusual building with that big circle right in the middle, and Minimalist looks perfect to me for the theme with the stark shapes and the light on the four chimneys against the dark grey sky.

I've enjoyed looking catching up and i'm aiming to stay up to date from now on :)

Nice catch up, standing out for me is your take on tiny, which an A380 isn't really... Nice processing brings out the contrails against the clouds.

what a great collection of cameras! Love that Zenit.

Hi Andrew,

Progress - It's just personal taste here, but I would have played with the levels adjustments to make more of the black & white points, but that's just me. Cool collection there.
Pleasure - I do love a bit of narrow boating on canals. Especially in the good weather drinking our way around the canal system 1 pub at a time. Spot on for me.
Tiny - Great trail there. You've got me wondering if I could get that with my 80D and 70-300, but I think they are a bit high here (I've tried with the 150-500).

Second face for me Andrew. It's that fantastic expression that's been caught; reminds me of my kids when they were teenagers;) Agriculture is a lovely shot with the exception of that blade of grass sticking up the second one's nose:D

Well done on your catch-up, Andrew. Some interesting images there, and Pleasure is a favourite with that lovely light and such a calm, restful scene. I also really like that little herd of hairy cows for Agriculture, and the warm colours and close-up details in Fruit are perfect for the theme and draw the viewer right in (y)

Hi Andrew,
Face - #1, because it is so unusual with plenty of colour and things to look at.
Glamour - I'm going to assume you intend this for the 'graceful' theme. An interesting statue, and there is grace in the human form. I quite like the blur applied to the edges to focus the eye. Not something to over-use, but once in a while it has a place.
Agriculture - Interesting looking beasts captured well in their surroundings.
Fruit - Lovely complementary colours in the raspberries and the leaves. My only comment is perhaps you could have considered a deeper DoF to have more than just the small green raspberry in sharp focus (but hey, you were at f/7.1 already!)

Back