weekly Shiny Side Up's 52

I see where you had a dilemma. I try to shoot a different take myself. Hopefully you will see a better shot throughout the week.
Im mot sure the vignette works for me.
Nive and quick though.

Problem is that without the vignetting there is nothing to separate the picture from being a list of ingredients on an aquarium plant food bottle. Hardly awe-inspiring stuff, might have to resort to taking pictures of some rocks after all.

Thinking....

...tick tick tick tick tick...

...ooh, just had an idea, more later this weekend.

Last edited:
Yes, once again another difficult challenge. I wonder if it would help to show this list in the context of what they are the ingredients of?

Martin, yes........:thinking:....... I like it (y) Looks sharp, good processing ........reminds me of something.........:thinking:........why am I thinking kids programme :confused:

Hi Phil

I quite like the vignette on this......looks almost like a label on an olde worlde chemist bottle .....seeing a bit more of what it's on would help ( though maybe an aquarium plant food bottle isn't that olde worlde ! :D )

Look forward to seeing your newly though of shot

This last one has some potential I have to say. The addition of the glasses and old pen give it a nice atmosphere. I think it could have a wider crop of the desk to accentuate that feel.

That's a shame. The only reason the third picture is there is to show what I took the other two pictures of. I've had to remove it as otherwise I'll get critique about a stone on a table, badly lit and with extraneous bits and pieces scattered around.

Last edited:
I can tell they are both rocks of some description, I think the red one offers more detail, there are too many shadows in the blue. I'd be interested to see the images taken with no gels on the flash. (I assume thats how you got the colour cast).
Good take on the theme though.

I can tell they are both rocks of some description, I think the red one offers more detail, there are too many shadows in the blue. I'd be interested to see the images taken with no gels on the flash. (I assume thats how you got the colour cast).
Good take on the theme though.

I used some aquarium LEDs for the blue light and for the red I fired my flash gun through the red gel on my mouse mat while the shutter was open.

Hi, not sure either of them work cant really tell what they are and the colour sort of makes them look out of focus

My vote goes to your first pic, the label with the list of minerals. On theme and well executed. I dont have a problem with the vignette, though I guess it would'nt hurt to try and tone it down by having the vignette a similiar colour to the central section? (y)

Hi
I prefer your first'mineral' shot though with toned down vignette...little too white?
Not so keen on coloured rocks I'm afraid.

I call this "Scents of Smell". I knew there would be a lot of the five senses so I've tried to be a bit off the wall and mix it up a bit by using a homophone.

Sense
by gorgon703, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Martin, sorry I've not dropped in before now, I am not the greatest at keeping up with all the commenting!

Firstly I had to Google what a homophone was :bonk:

It's a little dark for me, perhaps a tweak to the white balance would brighten it up and make the background white. There are two little spots on the left hand side by the Eternity bottle lid that I would clone out, marks on the wall or dust spots on the sensor maybe? I like the shadows with the colours shining through.

Firstly I had to Google what a homophone was :bonk:

:plus1:

Good thinking Martin (y) possibly a different pov and bg to bring out the contrasting colours of the 3 scents :thinking:

I think this would work better with an even background as the join is a bit off putting.

Good idea though :)

Can't change the background but have uplifted the lighting and cropped in a bit.

Sense-2
by gorgon703, on Flickr

Had another go at a completely different aspect. Yes, I know the DoF could have been just a fraction larger but the dog got fed up and wandered off before I could adjust it.

Sense-3
by gorgon703, on Flickr

Hi Martin

the doggy nose is a really good take on theme , DOF is just right for me , you can see what the nose belongs to but the focus is completely on the nose...:clap:

The perfume bottles....your edit is better for being brighter & having the spots removed :) You may not be able to change the bg ( though a simple piece of black or white card would do the trick ) but you could maybe have got lower down so you were shooting more straight on which may have eliminated the slight distortion ie...the 1st 2 bottles seem to be on the squiff ?

Thanks all. Lynne, the distortion is caused by being very close to the bottles and getting a perspective error due to the angle of the shot causing the left bottle to lean to the left and the right bottle, to the right. The line on the background also causes a bit of an optical illusion.

Plus, at the price I paid for the lens it had better not be distortion. It's a Nikkor 28mm f1.8g on a DX (D7000).

Last edited:
Back