weekly SimonB 52 for 2022 - Week 52 - Showcase

I like how your first shot is a receptacle made from receptacles. Made me laugh.

I like your chosen image. I like how you've used the wall to create a high contrast backdrop. I might have shift a little to my left to center the corner of the wall.

I like the way the plant is highlighted by the light.

Nice one. the background and shadow work well together.

I think the plant is the correct choice.

Nicely exposed and I also really love the contrasting walls.

Like @Darkslinger said though, I'd love to have seen the corner right in the middle of the plant pot.

Would be a fairly simple correction in PS if you so desired.

Nice image, I like the lighting and the patterns on the pot give some good detail and interest.

I like how your first shot is a receptacle made from receptacles. Made me laugh.

I like your chosen image. I like how you've used the wall to create a high contrast backdrop. I might have shift a little to my left to center the corner of the wall.

Thanks, Ha yes the bottles made from bottles caught my eye too. I did notice the line wasn’t quite in the middle.

I like the way the plant is highlighted by the light.

Nice one. the background and shadow work well together.

Thanks guys :)

I think the plant is the correct choice.

Nicely exposed and I also really love the contrasting walls.

Like @Darkslinger said though, I'd love to have seen the corner right in the middle of the plant pot.

Would be a fairly simple correction in PS if you so desired.

Thanks, it’s something I’ll shall have a play with in photoshop. The line originally was straight and that was a quick fix. I should have moved it too!

Nice image, I like the lighting and the patterns on the pot give some good detail and interest.

Thanks it’s quite a funky pot!

Definitely your chosen image Simon, it's a lovely shot and looks good to me especially with the complementary colours and contrast. My only critique would be to have the pot slightly more centred to the vertical wall corner behind it to give it more symmetry, but that's just me...

No, your wife just pointed it out :) My husband has a much better eye for a photograph than me, so I know the feeling.

The depth of field is good for the bottle. Looks like an interesting spot in the background.

I have to say it made me smile that you went for a walk in Wales. Do you live in England and have to pop over the border?

I like the pop of green in the otherwise almost monochrome image. I'm not so keen on the shadow on the wall, but I'm not sure there is anything you could do about that. Perhaps a little less flash and a longer exposure? I'm still very much learning about artificial light myself.

I never use flash so can't comment on the technicalities. However, it's a pleasing shot and I like the inclusion of the shadows.

I like this Simon. Well lit and looks good with the backdrop and base.

Definitely your chosen image Simon, it's a lovely shot and looks good to me especially with the complementary colours and contrast. My only critique would be to have the pot slightly more centred to the vertical wall corner behind it to give it more symmetry, but that's just me...

Thanks for the feedback, I've had a crack in photoshop at moving the contrasting line.

I prefer the plant with the contrasting background.

Thanks!

No, your wife just pointed it out :) My husband has a much better eye for a photograph than me, so I know the feeling.

The depth of field is good for the bottle. Looks like an interesting spot in the background.

I have to say it made me smile that you went for a walk in Wales. Do you live in England and have to pop over the border?

I like the pop of green in the otherwise almost monochrome image. I'm not so keen on the shadow on the wall, but I'm not sure there is anything you could do about that. Perhaps a little less flash and a longer exposure? I'm still very much learning about artificial light myself.

Thanks, yep I live in England and popped over the border! :ROFLMAO: The flash is still something I'm learning and only recently discovered that the flash power output can be adjusted.

I never use flash so can't comment on the technicalities. However, it's a pleasing shot and I like the inclusion of the shadows.

Thank you :)

I like this Simon. Well lit and looks good with the backdrop and base.

Cheers Peter

I had a go in Photoshop by making a few adjustments with moving the centre line. I do feel the comments were correct, it does look a lot more even. It would have been far easier to have taken the picture like that in the first place! :ROFLMAO:

Plant Pot edited
by Simon Brown

I'm guessing that getting a harder shadow line down the side of the pot to give an almost chequer board effect would be impossible. I like the way the colour of the wall in the background matches the pot (or vice versa!)

That’s quite an interesting idea creating a checkerboard effect. Not sure how to go about it though. The colour match was a bit of a fluke though!

Nicely done on the PS adjustments - I think that makes for a better image now it's more centred (y)

That’s quite an interesting idea creating a checkerboard effect. Not sure how to go about it though. The colour match was a bit of a fluke though!

TBH, neither am I, but I reckon that it's nearly there, the shadow just needs to be harder/darker and more central on the pot. Probably not that easy on a round pot.

Gotta love serendipity!

Went for a walk on the beach today hoping to stumble upon some inspiration and watch some of the kite surfers (rather them than me!) With the storm approaching over the weekend it was a particularly windy but sunny day. When I happened to find a bottle of Southern Comfort in the sand with a message inside. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to meet this week's theme.

Washed up by Simon Brown

I didn't opt for this picture as I felt it was just slightly too "busy" and the message inside didn't appear to be very obvious.

Message in a bottle by Simon Brown

Out of the many pictures I took, I preferred this one as it looks cleaner and the message is more noticeable.

I'm sure you may be wondering what the message in the bottle said (that I didn't deliberately place myself!) It just so happened to be a note from Cobra stating the rest of the year's themes and techs (well one can dream!)

Quick picture of a kite surfer too.

Brave by Simon Brown

Great spot for the theme! All nice shots, including the kite surfers - shame he's not chugging from a bottle whilst he's out there (might be tough to hold on though). I don't mind the "busyness" of the first shot, but your chosen image is lovely and clean.

As per the meme I posted in the jokes thread recently - "It's from Sting!"

I like your chosen shot Simon, I also like the surf playing with the bottle in the first shot.

New - Not sure a calendar would help with my time management on the TP 52 but good luck with yours. I've just realised I still have last year's calendar up in the computer room aka mancave and it's not even on the last month!!

Old - I've never seen one before, it's great to capture an image that stokes memories

Receptacle - Your bottle image does look a bit like a grab shot, although you do appear to have considered the composition. I like the plant pot, with your edit improving it further.

Bottle - Its great you captured a bottle there but sad that people feel there's nothing better than to leave their rubbish wherever they feel

Great spot for the theme! All nice shots, including the kite surfers - shame he's not chugging from a bottle whilst he's out there (might be tough to hold on though). I don't mind the "busyness" of the first shot, but your chosen image is lovely and clean.

Thanks, one handed kite surfing and drinking would be epic.

I like your chosen shot Simon, I also like the surf playing with the bottle in the first shot.

Thanks, couldn’t chose between the two.

I like the one you've chosen Simon. The composition and light work nicely.

Thank you.

Well spotted, Simon. Agree that your second (main thread) image is the better of the two. Are you sure that Cobra message was 3 years ago? :)

Cheers

Well spotted - bang on theme!

Thanks!

New - Not sure a calendar would help with my time management on the TP 52 but good luck with yours. I've just realised I still have last year's calendar up in the computer room aka mancave and it's not even on the last month!!

Old - I've never seen one before, it's great to capture an image that stokes memories

Receptacle - Your bottle image does look a bit like a grab shot, although you do appear to have considered the composition. I like the plant pot, with your edit improving it further.

Bottle - Its great you captured a bottle there but sad that people feel there's nothing better than to leave their rubbish wherever they feel

Thanks for commenting on each picture. Rest assured though, the bottle was placed there by me and then recycled at home. It was a mere prop!

Good stuff :)

I like your chosen shot for the theme. You have all the elements, sand, sea, blue sky.... and the message :oops: :$:ROFLMAO: My OH was out kitesurfing yesterday, but I was without my car, so I didn't venture out with the camera. We didn't get much sun yesterday.

Thank goodness I posted before I checked this out... great minds as they say ;)

That first shot is a cracker. The light is great.
Thanks!

I like your chosen shot for the theme. You have all the elements, sand, sea, blue sky.... and the message :oops: :$:ROFLMAO: My OH was out kitesurfing yesterday, but I was without my car, so I didn't venture out with the camera. We didn't get much sun yesterday.
Thank you, far too cold for kitesurfing!!

Thank goodness I posted before I checked this out... great minds as they say ;)
Haha great minds indeed, I do like your shots too.

I have struggled to find a way to take a picture that would suit the current tech. so I was quite glad when snappers choice popped up. I had a weekend away and took lots of pictures but I couldn't get a picture that I was happy with by moving the camera side to side or up and down (perhaps the movement is more subtle than I thought?).

So I opted for the speed effect of zooming in over some train tracks. Hopefully, this fits the bill!

Also at the time that this picture was taken, the line was not in use as just around the corner the sleepers had been dug up for new ones and new lines. It is not worth risking your life to take a picture.

Warp Speed by Simon Brown

Last edited:
Yep - box nicely ticked :)

Back