weekly Susiejb 52 in 2015 Christmas ...and that's me finished for 2015

Hey hey hey :)

Envy - Good idea Susie and lovely sharp lotto ticket, that stands out really well (y)

Inverted - Absolutely love the paper ones, such good lighting and colours, the B&W is my fav of the bunch, took me a mo to work out what they were, you should be well proud of all them images :)

Shimmer - Not the best of settings, but I really like the colours and reflections you have captured :)

Elements - Nice PP and again a great idea, the words not quite the right sequence for me, but ignoring that a good experiment that has worked well I reckon (y)

Hi DK thanks for taking the time to hop in with your very busy schedule ....very much appreciated, as are your encouraging comments. I must admit I do enjoy doing the more creative ones.

Great interpretaion for Noise, I would never have thought of that :clap:

Ditto for Envy :clap::clap:

Inverted, it has to be the abstract with the paper, that is so clever and the lighting is spot on too (y)

Elements - I can see what you were trying to do and it is way beyond my skill level. There's just a bit too much black for my taste.

Great interpretaion for Noise, I would never have thought of that :clap:

Ditto for Envy :clap::clap:

Inverted, it has to be the abstract with the paper, that is so clever and the lighting is spot on too (y)

Elements - I can see what you were trying to do and it is way beyond my skill level. There's just a bit too much black for my taste.

Thanks Jill ...yes, I think I overdid the black, I should have looked at it a few more times before posting it !

It''s been the most glorious autumn day here, I enjoyed a fabulous walk through the woods at a local National Trust property. I love fungi I think it's amazing, there wasn't too much about but I managed to find these. They're slightly soft but I wanted to keep that lovely misty autumn feel to them.

Seasonal

Autumn by Susiejb, on Flickr

Autumn by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
As I've said before, nicely packed in the frame, not mushroom at all :D

I'm not sure the the shallow DoF works that well in this case though, sorry.
Nice images nonetheless (y)

Hi Susie. I'm going to agree with Carl, I quite like it as it is. (Elements that is).
I;m going to agree with the DoF comment on the mushrooms, and maybe the lighting wasn't 100%. Brian's mushroom shot edges it for me.

Last edited:
Nice light and I like the dew on the grass. you have certainly got a nice glow in the bg. (y)

A tip - If you get that close to them then even f22 will give a shallow enough DOF to lose the background, and you might be able to keep the whole mushroom in focus. ;)

Hi Susie. What do I know but strangely, I quite like them just the way they are - I think the shallow DoF draws attention to the dew without losing sight of their surrounds - a deeper DoF would maybe have them competing. The second is my favourite of the two, I think because of the yellow bg. .

Hi Susie. I'm going to agree with Carl, I quite like it as it is. (Elements that is).
I;m going to agree with the DoF comment on the mushrooms, and maybe the lighting wasn't 100%. Brian's mushroom shot edges it for me.

Hi Susie :)

Slightly deeper and they would be great, some lovely colours still and where in focus there is some great detail, theme wise bang on for me :)

Thank you Tim and DK ...all comments very gratefully received.

Nice light and I like the dew on the grass. you have certainly got a nice glow in the bg. (y)

A tip - If you get that close to them then even f22 will give a shallow enough DOF to lose the background, and you might be able to keep the whole mushroom in focus. ;)

Thanks Brian @Brian_of_Bozeat ...yes I like the dew too ...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that :) I used my Raynox macro lens which I think made my focus a bit tight ...in fact I took the wrong one out with me, which meant I used a 250 instead of my 150 which made it worse. It won't be the last of my mushroom hunting, I love them, determined to get a red spotty one this year ( Fly Agaric) I shall do the next lot without the macro lens as you suggest.
Yours by the way is wonderful ...I love it :)

Hi Susie. What do I know but strangely, I quite like them just the way they are - I think the shallow DoF draws attention to the dew without losing sight of their surrounds - a deeper DoF would maybe have them competing. The second is my favourite of the two, I think because of the yellow bg. .

Thanks Carl ...I really like them too :) maybe I focused a bit too much on the dew, but it looked so autumy and magical I couldn't resist.o_O

Blimey, I bet you got a bit damp getting down low to take those fungii pics :eek: I like them both but would also like a bigger DoF. Picky, aren't I :)

Like them both and I'm happy with the shallow DoF. However I would like to see the mixture of the two, fore and back grounds of #1 combined with the main subject of #2

Blimey, I bet you got a bit damp getting down low to take those fungii pics :eek: I like them both but would also like a bigger DoF. Picky, aren't I :)

Thanks Stan and Gill much appreciate you hopping in :)

Looks beautiful against that black backdrop Susie - lovely vibrant colours. Maybe crop out the leaf and stem but that's all - fabulous shot.:clap:

Hi Susie excellent black BG really makes the flowers pop, very nicely lit can't fault that :clap:

I like the leaf and stem (y)

I'm not totally convinced about the leaf,TBH Susie, ( but thats a hyper-criticism) the stem I like.
I really can't fault it, it fits the theme well, nicely taken (y)

Hi Susie,
Shimmer: They are huge bubbles. They work with the theme well. Shame about the busy BG as has been said but I guess you have little choice in the direction that the bubbles wander off in.
Elements: Wow! Cracking shot :clap: Very well done.
Seasonal: I like the droplets in the first but prefer the mushroom in the second I think. Both lovely shots and a nice fit to the theme.
Full: The BG really makes the full blooms pop. I think I am in the no leaf camp :)

Hi susie

Love the mushroom shots with the FG water droplets. I think they're right when they say DOF's a bit shallow.

Full bloom ... seems to be beautifully lit and focused. Personally, I'm not too keen on the solid black BG, a bit severe against the delicate flower.

As always Susie, some really beautiful shots. I particularly like the mushrooms (or are they toadstools?) and I think the focus on the dewdrops really adds something extra special to them (y)

Looks beautiful against that black backdrop Susie - lovely vibrant colours. Maybe crop out the leaf and stem but that's all - fabulous shot.:clap:

Hi Susie excellent black BG really makes the flowers pop, very nicely lit can't fault that :clap:

I like the leaf and stem (y)

I'm not totally convinced about the leaf,TBH Susie, ( but thats a hyper-criticism) the stem I like.
I really can't fault it, it fits the theme well, nicely taken (y)

Thank you folks ....I felt it it looked rather odd without the stem, but I agree I'm not sure about the leaf .

Hi Susie,
Shimmer: They are huge bubbles. They work with the theme well. Shame about the busy BG as has been said but I guess you have little choice in the direction that the bubbles wander off in.
Elements: Wow! Cracking shot :clap: Very well done.
Seasonal: I like the droplets in the first but prefer the mushroom in the second I think. Both lovely shots and a nice fit to the theme.
Full: The BG really makes the full blooms pop. I think I am in the no leaf camp :)

Thank you Lee ...much appreciate you looking in....leaf or no leaf ...that is the question :)

That's one beautiful image, perfectly lit, spot on focus and good DoF. Nice composition and the black bg really brings out the colours. :clap:

However I agreed with Chris @Cobra about the leaf and personally I would clone it out.

Hi susie

Love the mushroom shots with the FG water droplets. I think they're right when they say DOF's a bit shallow.

Full bloom ... seems to be beautifully lit and focused. Personally, I'm not too keen on the solid black BG, a bit severe against the delicate flower.

Great shot, well lit, sharp and an amazing black background which gives the blooms the prominence they deserve.
Have you printed it and stuck it on your wall yet?

Thank you for looking in all....much appreciate all the comments ...I think it could work as a print Tim :)

As always Susie, some really beautiful shots. I particularly like the mushrooms (or are they toadstools?) and I think the focus on the dewdrops really adds something extra special to them (y)

Full, wonderful colours and detail.

I'd have had to bend the leaf out of the way :)

Cheers.

That suits the theme perfectly Susie, really nicely shot, I think we may try too hard to get a perfect link, but as in this case, full bloom is certainly full to me, a lovely bright flower on a perfect background, nice (y)

Thank you very much all ....really good to see you hopping in :)

I think the most obvious ones have been done for Habit, I did think of a photo of the neatly lined up tins in my cupboard ...my touch of OCD :eek: but every time the grandsons are here the first thing they do is to grab an ipad :rolleyes: so I went for that one. Scruffy teddy in the background is Ronnie the school teddy...Archie is in charge of him for a week and is taking it very seriously taking him everywhere. Personally I think he need a wash, but I wouldn't dare in case he falls to bits :runaway:

Habit

Habit TP15 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Personally I think he need a wash, but I wouldn't dare in case he falls to bits :runaway:
Who? Archie? :D

Besides Ronnie will never taste the same either ( mine had the habit of sucking an ear on their teddy's :D )
A nice and different interpretation Susie (y)

Hi Susie, I to have a grandson called Archie,

anyway thats a very different take on the theme and all the better for it :clap:

Aw what a lovely portrait - like the way his face is washed with the light from the screen and get the look of concentration. Really good Susie :clap:

Back