The TP'ers 52 challenge for 2020 The discussion thread Week 52 Decor(ate)

Easy peasy... just take my glasses off, point and shoot :LOL: :LOL:

I don't need to take mine off, they are always grubby, even just after I have cleaned them.

Due a new pair, but thanks to the lockdown can postpone that for a least a month or two.

Pete

Perfect technique for those of us that shoot Canon.
Exactly a real opportunity for us to practice with photoshop.
Other makes however can skip that step and just post SooC :D

Quick question on soft focus, some sites suggest everything is in soft focus, other suggest a tiny point can be in focus, I will go with what everyone else thinks. Thoughts? :)

Quick question on soft focus, some sites suggest everything is in soft focus, other suggest a tiny point can be in focus, I will go with what everyone else thinks. Thoughts? :)

I think it is subjective, personally. But, it's your 52 project so whatever you are happy with, i'd suggest.

You do know that SONY is the way to go :p
... to other makes
I had Sony many years ago, why do you think I upgraded to Canon back then ? :p

Huh thought you were into Fuji, what did I miss?
He changes his brand makes like I change my socks

some sites suggest everything is in soft focus, other suggest a tiny point can be in focus
As Jim say's (y)
But, it's your 52 project so whatever you are happy with, i'd suggest.

With another very uncertain year ahead and only 7 more weeks to the end of this years 52 challenge,
I assume that a 2021 52 will be a distraction and should continue... ?

Unfortunately more lock downs will be inevitable, making themes difficult, its not going to be easy finding themes that can be done "at home"
There are no plans to chance the format next year, the snappers choice will remain, along with
re-edit an archive for any given theme.

As an aside Tim and I were discussing running a sweep stake to see how many people sign up and never post an image... ;)

I think the sweep stake is a great idea (but then I would ;) )
If you want to educate your guess, the info is all in the historic spreadsheets.

Talking of spreadsheets, I've finally updated it (so check I've not missed you off / missed off your techniques).

As it's the end of month 10, here are the graphs of how well we've been doing.

This is the percentage of people posting in week 1 (not of those who signed up - although that too might be interesting).
1604751516165.png

And these are the raw numbers
1604751590790.png

As always, don't read too much into the last 3 or 4 weeks, as there will be some catch-ups.

My judgement on this is that we are still over 50% of week 1 posters, which frankly is amazing and you all need to give yourselves a round of applause!
:clap:

My judgement on this is that we are still over 50% of week 1 posters, which frankly is amazing and you all need to give yourselves a round of applause!
Thanks for the stats Tim, they always make interesting reading, and generally, they are better than I had imagined, for the number of posters.

And yes I agree well done to all those that are still posting (y)
Unlike one slacker I could mention :whistle:

That's really interesting @LC2. Thanks for sharing. I think both you and @Cobra should be applauded for keeping us all going.

Personally I have enjoyed this year much more than my only other attempt in 2017. It's possible that I've just had more time, but I think due to Covid, it's been a very welcome distraction. I think the comments this time have been more light hearted and critiques less harsh, so it's been more inclusive, and fun! Sometimes I know I'm posting a pretty rubbish shot, but at least I'm getting the theme done on time instead of seeking perfection. Well, mostly on time... :LOL:

but at least I'm getting the theme done on time instead of seeking perfection.
Tim ( @LC2 ) and I were discussing this the other day, he mentioned ( a fair point IMO)
If you don't like the theme or can't complete the theme in the current climate, do what you can and the next theme maybe more to your liking

Tim ( @LC2 ) and I were discussing this the other day, he mentioned ( a fair point IMO)
If you don't like the theme or can't complete the theme in the current climate, do what you can and the next theme maybe more to your liking
I don't think there has been anything wrong with any of the themes, but some seem easier than others depending on the genre you usually shoot, I guess. I quite like that the 52 sometimes forces me out of my comfort zone. It's always great to see the different interpretations of the theme.

I don't think there has been anything wrong with any of the themes,
The lock down did cause me a few headaches trying to find something for everyone,
But I think I got there (mostly)
I also see a problem for next year as I'm sure we'll be slipping in and out of lockdown :rolleyes:

The lock down did cause me a few headaches trying to find something for everyone,
But I think I got there (mostly)
I also see a problem for next year as I'm sure we'll be slipping in and out of lockdown :rolleyes:
Yes the themes have been fine. We should all try and think of lockdown friendly themes for next year, just in case....

Edit: Perhaps we could allow to play a joker for a certain number of weeks? Has that been tried before... or is that the shoehorn? You do get 2 jokers in a pack of 52 cards ;)

Last edited:
Yes the themes have been fine. We should all try and think of lockdown friendly themes for next year, just in case....
I'm always open to suggestions (y)

Edit: Perhaps we could allow to play a joker for a certain number of weeks? Has that been tried before... or is that the shoehorn?
There were 4 jokers in years passed, I changed them to 5 "Snappers Choice" a couple of years ago.
edit thinking about it I should probably add another so there is one every couple of months.
If nothing else to coincide with a new theme at some point.

Last edited:
@Cobra hmm but people could play a joker when they need it e.g. if they're unable to leave the house or something, as opposed to it being a specific week. Just a thought. Although we can re-edit any pics at the moment anyway, so that gets us out of jail :)

Although we can re-edit any pics at the moment anyway, so that gets us out of jail :)
That was the thinking behind the "Re-edit" as it's usable with any theme.

Good evening all, hope you are all well, seems an eternity since I was last in the forum properly! So sorry for not being around. It's been a very trying few months and the desire to pick the camera up had virtually dried up. Health has not been great. Thankfully we managed our annual holiday, which is the longest amount of time I have been out all year. I actually wanted to use the camera.

So I have just been going through the themes and managed to post the most epic catch up I have ever done! Need to somehow sort the latest 3 themes out at some point.

I really didn't want to get to the end of the year and not complete this years 52. I wil try and get round to some threads at some point, but I'm so tired and my concentration is all but gone. So apologies again if I don't mange to comment much.

Good evening all, hope you are all well, seems an eternity since I was last in the forum properly! So sorry for not being around. It's been a very trying few months and the desire to pick the camera up had virtually dried up. Health has not been great. Thankfully we managed our annual holiday, which is the longest amount of time I have been out all year. I actually wanted to use the camera.

So I have just been going through the themes and managed to post the most epic catch up I have ever done! Need to somehow sort the latest 3 themes out at some point.

I really didn't want to get to the end of the year and not complete this years 52. I wil try and get round to some threads at some point, but I'm so tired and my concentration is all but gone. So apologies again if I don't mange to comment much.

Welcome back Michael - glad you're here!

I just want to add to this that I've really enjoyed it.

I was only thinking this morning that I've eased into it a little during the year,

I was very nervous about posting my my first few shots as it's the first time I've had to submit any photography for critique since about 1990 when I studied photography at college. But as the weeks have gone on, I'm more comfortable with tackling (and interpreting) the themes. The hardest weeks (for me) have been the snapper's choice ones to be honest.

I've enjoyed the themes. Though I am aware that, for a considerable number, I've ended up doing some sort of table top shot.

I've also been very interested in the interpretation by others. From the ultra-literal to the weirdly lateral and I've been massively impressed by many people's technique.

I've tried, where possible, to be a bit more active on posting on other people's shots as I know I didn't do enough of that. But I think, like posting your own images, it's a bit nervy the first few times you do it then you get used to it.

I'd like to think that I've learned something along the way and will at least have a body of work to show at the end. Most of which I'll be proud of.

Last edited:
I'd like to think that I've learned something along the way and will at least have a body of work to show at the end. Most of which I'll be proud of.
I'm glad you have enjoyed this year ( so far) Kell (y)
TBH over the years the critique and comments have "dumbed down" somewhat.
It used to be quite harsh ( but fair) a few years ago.
There have been a couple or so leave because "it wasn't harsh enough" or people got upset when said persons posted maybe harsh critique, but with the
best intentions.
And also the reverse is true to.
I personally think that its now about right. The way I look at it, Its a bit of fun and has become a little club.
Some people have learned a few things, by watching and reading, and people are quick to offer advice when its needed,
but its not not shoved down anyone's throat either.
Hopefully the status quo will remain for 2021.

BTW People have often said how hard can it be to post one image a week?
They soon find out, by joining in :D

I'm glad you have enjoyed this year ( so far) Kell (y)
TBH over the years the critique and comments have "dumbed down" somewhat.
It used to be quite harsh ( but fair) a few years ago.
There have been a couple or so leave because "it wasn't harsh enough" or people got upset when said persons posted maybe harsh critique, but with the
best intentions.
And also the reverse is true to.
I personally think that its now about right. The way I look at it, Its a bit of fun and has become a little club.
Some people have learned a few things, by watching and reading, and people are quick to offer advice when its needed,
but its not not shoved down anyone's throat either.
Hopefully the status quo will remain for 2021.

BTW People have often said how hard can it be to post one image a week?
They soon find out, by joining in :D

haha it certainly took me by surprise! I've got a high workload since the pandemic which hasn't helped but I think it's important to stick with this.

haha it certainly took me by surprise! I've got a high workload since the pandemic which hasn't helped but I think it's important to stick with this.
Only 7 more to go this year Graham (y)
And you get to do it all over again next year :D

I have to say, thanks to both of you for keeping us going this year. For me, I've really enjoyed this year (and last year) so would be more than happy for it to continue.

Only 7 more to go this year Graham (y)
And you get to do it all over again next year :D

Ah of course it's calendar years and not tax years! haha Phew!

And a big thanks to both of you from me as well, appreciated as always.

I like the way it is now regarding comments. It's very supportive and inclusive. (I might have said that already!)

In 2017 the critiques did tend to be more harsh I think, and that made it harder to post something you felt was sub-standard... and subsequently could fall behind. Personally I can always see something wrong with my own contributions, but it's always good to hear suggestions.

I really enjoy seeing what people come up with and there are some very talented people on here.

It's Tomorrer! It's Tomorrer! Tommorer is TOMORRER!!!! :banana: :naughty: :banana:

It's Tomorrer! It's Tomorrer! Tommorer is TOMORRER!!!! :banana: :naughty: :banana:
Tomorrow, tomorrow will be Friday (y)
And Fridays Tomorrow will be Saturday :)

Back