weekly Dan Hardwick 52 Challenge - Week 7,8 & 9 Bold, Relax and Vertical added

1st shot for me too. I like the 2nd but feel it would be better from a different angle and maybe just one person in the shot going into a shop. Difficult I know:cool:. I like the black and white though.

Bliss, so many bacon rolls in this theme (well, two - so far) makes me feel hungry. First shot for me as the second is shopping and that is as far from bliss as i can imagine -- hate shopping.

Dan

1st image for me… far better fit than the second! Cant say the crumbs are an issue for me! They are real life… They were there and part of the scene…. leave them in!

Maybe just a slightly lower view point i'd have went for and a little more DOF too.

Great theme shot though.

Mark

Thanks very much Mark, your comments are appreciated. My problem was that I tried different appertures but i think I also changed the angles and I like the composition of this shot the best but I hadn't taken a wider DOF version of it. That's a lesson for next time.

Bliss - two images that fit the theme nicely, the first image is a winner for me I love a bacon sandwich. Nice sharp image, my only niggle is I'd prefer to have the whole plate in the frame rather than the edge clipped.

Thanks, I was a bit gutted about the slate being cropped but I hadn't got the vertical so I had to skew it abit and crop the corner. Oops, I maybe could have PP it but I don't mind it so much now.

Two well captured photographs. #1 for me. Well composed and nice DOF to cover all the areas. I'd like to see some coffee but appreciate it's there.

Cheers.

Thanks for you time to stop by, yes the coffee is brewing, maybe i could have put it in the cup. hmm another time.

1st shot for me too. I like the 2nd but feel it would be better from a different angle and maybe just one person in the shot going into a shop. Difficult I know:cool:. I like the black and white though.

Thanks, The first is my favorite and it tasted great but the second was a fleeting thought this morning, it is meant to say that after the bustle of the Pre-Christmas rush and Post-Christmas Sales this is my idea of shopping with no one around.

The bacon butty of course :)

If only you had got the whole of the tile in, nice and vibrant :)

Thanks.

Bliss, so many bacon rolls in this theme (well, two - so far) makes me feel hungry. First shot for me as the second is shopping and that is as far from bliss as i can imagine -- hate shopping.

Thanks, I can assure you it tasted great afterwards.
Like i say above it was meant to convey shopping with no-one around rather than just shopping.

#1 is near perfect. DOF spot on: you know there's something there in the BG but you don't know what.

OOooooo like #1, says it all and can see why its bliss. Well put together, my shots like that never come off! Simple, clear and well taken.

I like the blurry walkers in #2 but does not match the theme strongly enough for me. Good shot though, just not for this week :)

Mmmm, bacon.

OOooooo like #1, says it all and can see why its bliss. Well put together, my shots like that never come off! Simple, clear and well taken.

I like the blurry walkers in #2 but does not match the theme strongly enough for me. Good shot though, just not for this week :)

Thanks very much, the first was my favourite to shoot and it came out pretty much how I imagined it. Although I did take quite a few shots to get there.
The second was my backup, just a different take on the theme.

Glad you like them and thanks for stoop by.

Mmmm, bacon.

Mmm tasty.

Hi Dan :)

Sorry, a bit late in commenting...

Pattern - Love the first frost shot, really nice colour and detail, particularly like the globules of water mixed within the shot, the Ice on the glass is again a lovely tone, finally the brickwork, I have a soft spot for old brickwork this is a lovely pattern indeed, like the symmetry in your shot even with some of the converging lines :)

Bliss - Mmmmmmmm looks edible, real effective DoF, well lit and ooooo perfect looking bacon, nice and crisp... that along with fresh coffee - BLISS for sure (y)

Look forward to following your shots this year :)

Love #1 with its spot on DOF, just enough to show what's there in the background. A little more time spent composing would pay dividends, and I like the crumbs on the plate..... (y)

Pic #1 for me but needs brown sauce.
Shopping is only bliss when done online.

Hiya Dan, #1 for me for Bliss (#2 looks my own Faustian hell). What a great but simply composed shot. Composition great: I love that you can see two edges of the table and the addition of the slate to separate further the plate works well. Complementary colours going on too. Really well judged DOF choice, making the bacon look even crispier to me!! Lighting is also handled well - natural window light or manmade?

Blimey not another bacon butty. I'm starving tonight. :p Nice shot and well exposed with the lighting coming from the other side of the subject. Just cropped out the corner of the slate which is a shame but nonetheless a great image.

Pattern - Love the first frost shot, really nice colour and detail, particularly like the globules of water mixed within the shot, the Ice on the glass is again a lovely tone, finally the brickwork, I have a soft spot for old brickwork this is a lovely pattern indeed, like the symmetry in your shot even with some of the converging lines :)

Bliss - Mmmmmmmm looks edible, real effective DoF, well lit and ooooo perfect looking bacon, nice and crisp... that along with fresh coffee - BLISS for sure (y)

Being late is never a problem, nice that you have had the time to stop by, there are so many to comment on this year. Thanks for the comments

Love #1 with its spot on DOF, just enough to show what's there in the background. A little more time spent composing would pay dividends, and I like the crumbs on the plate..... (y)

Thanks, time was of the essence, it was getting cold so maybe I rushed it a little. Thanks for your time

I do prefer online shopping but on this occasion it was nice to have an empty mall, and im definitely in the brown sauce camp. It was added before the eating. Thanks for your comments

Hiya Dan, #1 for me for Bliss (#2 looks my own Faustian hell). What a great but simply composed shot. Composition great: I love that you can see two edges of the table and the addition of the slate to separate further the plate works well. Complementary colours going on too. Really well judged DOF choice, making the bacon look even crispier to me!! Lighting is also handled well - natural window light or manmade?

Thanks for the detailed comments, really appreciate it, its not easy commenting on so many threads without putting a minimum comment on each one. The light is natural, its in my conservatory so pretty much all round light.

Blimey not another bacon butty. I'm starving tonight. :p Nice shot and well exposed with the lighting coming from the other side of the subject. Just cropped out the corner of the slate which is a shame but nonetheless a great image.

Thanks very much.

Being late is never a problem, nice that you have had the time to stop by, there are so many to comment on this year. Thanks for the comments

Thanks, time was of the essence, it was getting cold so maybe I rushed it a little. Thanks for your time

I do prefer online shopping but on this occasion it was nice to have an empty mall, and im definitely in the brown sauce camp. It was added before the eating. Thanks for your comments

Thanks for the detailed comments, really appreciate it, its not easy commenting on so many threads without putting a minimum comment on each one. The light is natural, its in my conservatory so pretty much all round light.

Thanks very much.

Week 2 - Fragile

Two from me this week, this first is a composite made in Photoshop, the second pretty much as shot but I'm not overly happy with the clarity on it. Might re-shoot it in the week if i get some daylight.

Thanks for Looking.

How Fragile is our Tech stuff, Tablets/Phones etc?

TP52 Week 2 - Fragile
by danhardwick, on Flickr

TP52 Week 2 - Fragile Alternative
by danhardwick, on Flickr

I really like number 1 Dan, almost get the feeling the phone is being followed to the ground by the camera. Two nice shots. Get your feet up till Friday.

I think I prefer the second one but the fingers are not sharp and so it is not quite an alternative view of the first shot. I can imagine the first shot upside down would give the impression that the phone was still and the person was falling away from it—my brain just sees things oddly sometimes, I like my brain :) .

Hi, first one for me, prefer the phone to be sharp than the hand and I have no idea why because thinking about it it would make sense the other way.

good bacon butty shot too, nicely staged(y)

I really like number 1 Dan, almost get the feeling the phone is being followed to the ground by the camera. Two nice shots. Get your feet up till Friday.

Thanks John.

I think I prefer the second one but the fingers are not sharp and so it is not quite an alternative view of the first shot. I can imagine the first shot upside down would give the impression that the phone was still and the person was falling away from it—my brain just sees things oddly sometimes, I like my brain :) .

Thanks, prefer the idea of the first but the execution let me down, I shot the pictures yesterday and didn't get a proper look at them until tonight and was disappointed that the images weren't as sharp as I would have liked them. It was dark by then and no way of reshooting until the weekend so I had to live with it.

I see your point with the first, (I just turned the laptop upside down) I like that idea.

Hi, first one for me, prefer the phone to be sharp than the hand and I have no idea why because thinking about it it would make sense the other way.

good bacon butty shot too, nicely staged(y)

Thanks, it did turn out the best of the two, I would have preferred the second as its shot in the camera rather than PP but it didn't work as well as i had hoped.

Fragile - I love the first shot, good use of pp works well for the theme for me great work.

Thanks very much.

Later comer picking up the feed back Dan.
Pattens.... Brickwork for me! sharp focus great texture here, perspective and angles always difficult to get right, but anyhow works for me... 1st frost picture quite selective focus (shallow depth of field) nice sharp detail in the center. 2nd one doesnt do it for me possibly as its not so sharp. Brickwork for me(y)

Bliss.... Bang on, Get the roll closed nothing worse than a cold one mate, great balance here (Male balance SWMBO calls it) Healthy fresh orange juice and a bacon roll:)!!!
Jest over! Most have done all the crit already, agree with the narrow crop being a bit too tight, Nice texture in that table top, Very narrow dof picks up the bacon nice and sharp, Not worried about the crumbs can lick the plate clean after;).

Fragile.... Thats a great idea for a HTC phone, my company phone is an HTC and thats the best option for it :eek:.
I think the second shot for me, and although the hand is not pin sharp as it might be, to me it gives more the impression of dropping the phone or letting it go, where as in shot one i think the hand is a little distracting and its implies that the user is trying to catch the phone after an accidental drop. (I would have actually have prefered a shot of flinging it at the wall:rolleyes:) In the second shot i like the movement in the phone, which is as it would be, rather than the frozen look in shot one. Also nice texture in the wall.... Nice work Dan(y)

Fragile - First one for me, works well and I prefer the phone to be shaper than the hand.

Came to comment and say I would have gone the other way and there it was 2 shots so second shot for me and a great idea

Hi Dan, to good shots. My vote's for the second - it looks more natural to me having the movement in the phone rather than the hand

First one for me too, it has more dynamism and fits the theme well.

Love the sense of motion in this and, as Peter says, I think it works well on the hand rather than the phone. Well done on he interpretation of the theme yet again (y)

Later comer picking up the feed back Dan.
Pattens.... Brickwork for me! sharp focus great texture here, perspective and angles always difficult to get right, but anyhow works for me... 1st frost picture quite selective focus (shallow depth of field) nice sharp detail in the center. 2nd one doesnt do it for me possibly as its not so sharp. Brickwork for me(y)

Bliss.... Bang on, Get the roll closed nothing worse than a cold one mate, great balance here (Male balance SWMBO calls it) Healthy fresh orange juice and a bacon roll:)!!!
Jest over! Most have done all the crit already, agree with the narrow crop being a bit too tight, Nice texture in that table top, Very narrow dof picks up the bacon nice and sharp, Not worried about the crumbs can lick the plate clean after;).

Fragile.... Thats a great idea for a HTC phone, my company phone is an HTC and thats the best option for it :eek:.
I think the second shot for me, and although the hand is not pin sharp as it might be, to me it gives more the impression of dropping the phone or letting it go, where as in shot one i think the hand is a little distracting and its implies that the user is trying to catch the phone after an accidental drop. (I would have actually have prefered a shot of flinging it at the wall:rolleyes:) In the second shot i like the movement in the phone, which is as it would be, rather than the frozen look in shot one. Also nice texture in the wall.... Nice work Dan(y)

Thanks for taking the time to comment on all my shots so far, its very much appreciated. I actually dont mind my HTC phone but then i did have a plastic samsung before that so its an improvement on that. I did drop it a couple of times onto the floor, having missed the blanket i was aiming for, its stood up to the test though.

Hi Dan ...the first shot for me ...I prefer the visual aspect of it ...a good choice for the theme....I like ShinySideUps idea too :)

Fragile - First one for me, works well and I prefer the phone to be shaper than the hand.

Came to comment and say I would have gone the other way and there it was 2 shots so second shot for me and a great idea

Hi Dan, to good shots. My vote's for the second - it looks more natural to me having the movement in the phone rather than the hand

First one for me too, it has more dynamism and fits the theme well.

Nice idea. I like the fact in #1 the hand is reaching out for the phone which is sharp.

Cheers.

I like this. A lot of us would have put motion blur on the phone but doing the opposite does really work. Nice one.

Love the sense of motion in this and, as Peter says, I think it works well on the hand rather than the phone. Well done on he interpretation of the theme yet again (y)

Thanks very much everyone for stopping by and commenting, it seems that i have once again split the decision on this one although the first one probably pips the second slightly. Glad you all like them and ill try and keep up the standard for next week.

Thanks again.

Hi
Bliss
Prefer the first shot, lovely colours and good composition apart from the 'missing corner' dont mind the flour/crumbs on plate.it's nigh on impossible to eat one of those rolls without getting covered

Hi Dan, #1 for me - I really like the composite job in PS. Well motion-blurred and then a crisp shot of the phone added over - works really well for me.

All of the usuals are spot on - technically very good - and you've turned a decent enough image into something much more interesting by some clever processing. Top job!

Hi
Bliss
Prefer the first shot, lovely colours and good composition apart from the 'missing corner' dont mind the flour/crumbs on plate.it's nigh on impossible to eat one of those rolls without getting covered

Thanks and you are right, Im always messy, crumbs everywhere!

Hi Dan, #1 for me - I really like the composite job in PS. Well motion-blurred and then a crisp shot of the phone added over - works really well for me.

All of the usuals are spot on - technically very good - and you've turned a decent enough image into something much more interesting by some clever processing. Top job!

Thanks very much for your comments, I don't do a lot of PP certainly not composites like this so I was very pleased with the outcome.

Week 3 Scenic

Not very happy with this weeks submission, I feel ive let myself down a bit. I tried to get out to get a nice scenic shot but alas there isnt much within driving distance of my house and the DIY was calling.

This is however a valuable lesson in waiting, the first shot, included purley as a demonstration, was shot about 30 minutes before the second.

I had actually given up hop of getting a shot and had packed up when i saw the light coming out of the clouds. Hence the second image, my submission for week three, is much better lit.

Its a long way from my best Scenic shot but I dont want to submit an Archive image.
This theme came a couple of weeks early for me as I am off Skiing in c ouple of weeks, loads of Scenery there.

Thanks for looking.

Demonstration only, not my submission, or an alternative by danhardwick, on Flickr

My submission for week 3

TP 52 Week 3 - Scenic by danhardwick, on Flickr

Back