weekly Johns 52 Thread for 2015 - Week 8+9 - Relax and Vertical added.

Happysnapper79

Suspended / Banned
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, well I am back for a second bite of the cherry after falling by the wayside last time. Hopefully get my week 0 image up later.

John

Well here is my take on Patterns. The depth of field is a lot shallower than I would like but frankly it was far too cold to go out and re-shoot. I liked the patterns in the leaf, the fence post and the ice crystals on the leaf.

Thanks for looking

John

Week 0 Patterns-1 by JSN-Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
You are off to a flying start with this one, nice wintry colours and textures :)

Nice shot John, I like the ice crystals, the different textures and the close crop round the fence post :)

Many thanks for the comments, if there is a frost in the morning I may go and give it another go, a few things about it aren't right for me. (LHS being one)
Nice one John, good shot to start off with, lets not let ourselves doen this year, we must keep up and finish thiss thing.

I put a couple of extra pics up, couldnt resist.

If we make it to week 10 Dan then we have already surpassed our previous best efforts, off to take a look at your other pics now.

Hi John, a shot filled with patterns. :clap: I have to agree with you about the depth of field being a little shallow but a good shot all the same.

I only managed 8 weeks the last time I attempted this, really hoping i can persevere and smash it this year!

Hi John, a shot filled with patterns. :clap: I have to agree with you about the depth of field being a little shallow but a good shot all the same.

I only managed 8 weeks the last time I attempted this, really hoping i can persevere and smash it this year!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, good luck with getting past week 8, I think there are a few of us hoping to get a bit further than we did last time.

Brrr I feel cold now[emoji300]️... Like that fact it's a very natural image but full of intricate patterns all over the shop!

Nice image… I'd just like to have seen more DOF so the front of the fence post was in focus too!

Did you use a tripod? I tend to find I always need it in winter… that and these snappy hand warmers.

Looking again I actually think you may have enough DOF… It's just your focus point is a little further back than it could have been… If in doubt I always focus forward as there is always more DOF at the back of the focus point than the front.

Nice image… I'd just like to have seen more DOF so the front of the fence post was in focus too!

Did you use a tripod? I tend to find I always need it in winter… that and these snappy hand warmers.

Looking again I actually think you may have enough DOF… It's just your focus point is a little further back than it could have been… If in doubt I always focus forward as there is always more DOF at the back of the focus point than the front.

I agree, the focal point needs to be on the leading edge of the post, I think focussed there the DoF would've been fine.
Thanks for stopping by.

Hello and :welcome:. Good beginning John and the relevant points have already been made. Lots of patterns in there and love the miniature mountain range of frost crystals.

Hello and :welcome:. Good beginning John and the relevant points have already been made. Lots of patterns in there and love the miniature mountain range of frost crystals.

Many thanks for the kind words Jill.

lots of patterns to look at. Bit too close to the left hand side though. Love the way the light falls on the image.

Hi John & welcome back....see you at week 52's finish line this year (y)

DOF looks fine it's just the focus point ,for me , that's back to front......if that makes sense ? Lovely winter image , frost patterns , patterns in the wood & patterns in the leaves.....right on theme (y)

Nice start Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Welcome back John :) Fingers crossed for week 52 this year!

I can't add much more to what's already been said, but the frost really does transform that image. Very, very pretty!

Many thanks.

lots of patterns to look at. Bit too close to the left hand side though. Love the way the light falls on the image.

I agree with the crop, definitely a bit close.

Hi John & welcome back....see you at week 52's finish line this year (y)

DOF looks fine it's just the focus point ,for me , that's back to front......if that makes sense ? Lovely winter image , frost patterns , patterns in the wood & patterns in the leaves.....right on theme (y)

Thanks for the comments, I'm determined to be at the finish line in 52 weeks time.

Nice start Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Thank you

Nice shot fellow leafer :) Great tones, could be slightly clearer in detail of the leaf but that's just my opinion! I also didn't manage many when I was here a few years ago, I really hope I can find their time when back at work to continue. I do find getting through comments time consuming but also value others input and learn from looking at others work.

Nice shot fellow leafer :) Great tones, could be slightly clearer in detail of the leaf but that's just my opinion! I also didn't manage many when I was here a few years ago, I really hope I can find their time when back at work to continue. I do find getting through comments time consuming but also value others input and learn from looking at others work.

I also found the comments aspect tough but I figure if I try and do two or three a day I will at least be contributing something. Good luck for this years challenge.

The shallow DoF really works for me and I particularly like the ice crystals on the left that are highlighted against the darker background.

Welcome to 2015 52s, hope you make it to the end this time! A great image to start with plenty of patterns for the theme :clap: With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

That's bliss for me and a good shot. I like the dark bg, the reflection and the condensation.

I n gut have liked the top to be a bit lighter though. Nit picking though.

Thanks for the comment Dan, I agree that the top is a little on the dark side, I am quite happy with the reflection, it was shot atop of the electric hob plate as its black glass, it turn d out better than I had hoped.

Bliss - now that is a perfect idea for the theme, my only niggle is the top of the lid is a little dark. Other than that compositionally it's good, feet up and rest now till Friday.

Thanks for stopping by, yes the lid is a little dark sadly, I think on a reshoot week I may have another go, like you say feet up now till Friday.

Beautiful image. Really liking the condensation and reflection.

Back