2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

Think if I don't pull my socks up this next weekend I can see myself outside the Headmasters door. :(

Well - Spreadsheet up to date... Done a big batch of commenting... time for sleep now as it's the BIG 52 meet in the morning :banana:

Back on Sunday !!!!!!

I take it the ticks are for posted pics? If so, I have two missing. I know they are forgettable but I want my ticks :D

Looks like I'll be late this week, half term and the lurgy have not helped, but I have an idea involving the bloody annoying ants we get out here so hopefully I'll try that early next week.

As for commenting. I was garbage last year and still can't get to grips with the watched thread thing in the new look forum. I'm working slowly through the photos thread so hopefully I'll get to everyone that is still playing eventually.

Good luck to everyone at the meet this weekend, I hope the weather is good and look forward to seeing the results.

I'm running behind this week due to many things, least of all a good idea for this weeks photo :-(.

I have something but can't do it until tomorrow.

Actually I have quite few ideas for this one AND I'm going to resist the temptation to beat Mandy (Pinkbikerbabe) to the first post of the week.

For once i have a few ideas.

Behind again after a busy week at work and the fun of having to be out tonight for work !! Hopefully, I will post something for last weeks theme over the weekend and get back on track for this weeks theme.

Ending :eek: ......:thinking:........well that'll serve mi right for going
fishing.gif
and having no internet access :runaway:

OMG done it again 26 threads to comment on all open in my browser - when will I learn :(

I'm still not 100% :( but out in the fresh air yesterday and got my Ending theme sorted.

Can anyone help me with my critiques of others photographs? When I see a well-executed picture I will say so and leave it at that, it's when something is almost as well-executed but something is not quite right that I have trouble. I'm starting to feel a bit nit-picky and overly-critical when I say someones picture is a bit dark or say that I feel the DoF could have been altered to cover this or that. I'm having a bit of trouble pitching my comments at what I think is the right level. Does anyone else feel like this? Should I just say what I think and hang it all, if that's what I think then that's what I think or should I sugar-coat things? I don't wish to appear negative but at the same time don't want to give the impression of gushing adoration for something I don't think is up to much.

I worry that I should use the maxim 'if I've nothing good to say I should say nothing at all', but then being here would be pointless.

Should I just say what I think and hang it all,

:agree: Best done with wine for Dutch courage but I do try and be polite. Sometimes I just don't like something, but can't really give a reason, then it's tricky - or else it's just the subject bores me to tears - like photos of car engines or computer innards I'm all WTF - but they do appeal to some ;)

Can anyone help me with my critiques of others photographs? When I see a well-executed picture I will say so and leave it at that, it's when something is almost as well-executed but something is not quite right that I have trouble. I'm starting to feel a bit nit-picky and overly-critical when I say someones picture is a bit dark or say that I feel the DoF could have been altered to cover this or that. I'm having a bit of trouble pitching my comments at what I think is the right level. Does anyone else feel like this? Should I just say what I think and hang it all, if that's what I think then that's what I think or should I sugar-coat things? I don't wish to appear negative but at the same time don't want to give the impression of gushing adoration for something I don't think is up to much.

I worry that I should use the maxim 'if I've nothing good to say I should say nothing at all', but then being here would be pointless.

Yep its really difficult. I'd much prefer crit to be 'honest and hang it all' but along with it some advice as to how to improve. If you don't like something then say so but say what you would have done differently. Also say what you do like. If someone takes offence to positive crit then they shouldn't be here, after all that's what we are here for.

We happened to have this conversation last year in the 52, a little later in the year compared to this year granted.
The general consensus was be honest, say what you do like about an image, say what you don't like but in both cases, saying why is a great help. What would you do to improve it etc.
All said with a liberal sprinkling of good manners and no one need take offence.

Back