weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

Hi, nice bright and colourful submission. I like the uber clean white BG and detail in the flowers.

On the brightness, I can't decide if it's a tad too bright or not.

It reminds me of a mother towering over her child and giving s/he a good telling off :)

Cheers.

Well Alan__ Whats to say just Googled the word companions and this fits the bill pretty well. The quality of light is fabulous here I really like the luminous quality you captured here.

Gaz

Thanks

Companions - that is a wonderful image for the theme, great lighting. Sharp crisp detail on the flowers and good composition, I like this image very much.

Thank you Mandy

Stunning clarity & lighting.
Would you mind sharing how it was achieved?

Thanks, nothing much to it to be honest 2 flashguns one on a high power setting pointing at the white card BG And one on a lower setting lighting the front with a small soft box attached,
sorry can't really go into the technical details as its more a case of trial and error with me, usually lots of errors

:agree: .... Stunning clarity & lighting.

Thanks d00d

Hi Allan
Must agree with others re the clarity and colour and translucency. Might have been tempted to try the rh tulip at a bit more of a 'downward' angle, but minor point ( and presumably you tried this in the 40+ shots that you would have taken:D)

Thanks Alan, I'll have you know I only took about 20 shots for this :p had to be really careful with the tulips as they had been in the house for about a week and the first one I removed from the vase the petals fell off :eek:

Hi Allan a really super shot there ...I love the lighting and thats a great white background ...something I have yet to master!

Hi Susie, my theory behind a good white BG is to blast it with light, technical hey :)

I rather like this, Allen, from the position of the Tulips to the translucent colouring

Thanks

Great shot and pure white background - really nice

Thank you

A beautiful image and perfectly taken. (y)

Thanks

Hi, nice bright and colourful submission. I like the uber clean white BG and detail in the flowers.

On the brightness, I can't decide if it's a tad too bright or not.

It reminds me of a mother towering over her child and giving s/he a good telling off :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy thats sort of the idea I was going for just not the angry mother more of the caring kind

Superb image. First looked on my kindle yesterday and kept turning it upside down as I originally thought it would look better, but eventually decided it looks great as it is. Loving the sharp white background and translucency of the tulips. I too would be interested how you got the shot.

Cracking shot, from the composition to the lighting and the pristine background. They appear to be floating in space :clap::clap::clap:

I can't really add anything to what's already been said, it's a beauty of a shot. Well done :clap:

OMG....how the hell have I managed to miss your thread completely......huge apologies Allan :crying:

So...from the top.....

Companions.....no crit from me.....beautifully lit making the petals almost translucent :clap::clap:

Scenic....love all the empty space to the left , cracking clouds & the usual high standard mono conversion :clap:

Bliss.......love the detail you've bought out in this shot.....like you I just see an amazing piece of architecture (y)

Fragile......perfectly lit, perfectly focused & a great idea for the triptych :clap:

Superb image. First looked on my kindle yesterday and kept turning it upside down as I originally thought it would look better, but eventually decided it looks great as it is. Loving the sharp white background and translucency of the tulips. I too would be interested how you got the shot.

I have put an explanation somewhere above thanks for looking

Hi Allan :)

Companions - Just love the vivid colours on this image mate, also the thought on the composition with the tulips coming in from different angles one of which from the corner - Love It (y)

Thanks DK

Cracking shot, from the composition to the lighting and the pristine background. They appear to be floating in space :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks

I can't really add anything to what's already been said, it's a beauty of a shot. Well done :clap:

Thank you

OMG....how the hell have I managed to miss your thread completely......huge apologies Allan :crying:

So...from the top.....

Companions.....no crit from me.....beautifully lit making the petals almost translucent :clap::clap:

Scenic....love all the empty space to the left , cracking clouds & the usual high standard mono conversion :clap:

Bliss.......love the detail you've bought out in this shot.....like you I just see an amazing piece of architecture (y)

Fragile......perfectly lit, perfectly focused & a great idea for the triptych :clap:

Apology accepted, to be honest not been keeping up with commenting myself this last week been a little busy
Thanks for the kind comments

WEEK 5 ELEGANT

Swan by allanhowe, on Flickr

or

Ring tailed lemur by allanhowe, on Flickr

I think swans are very elegant birds and I thought the Lemur looked quite elegant, although in a very inelegant pose, sat in a tree taking in the sun on a bitterly cold day here in Chester

Last edited:
Hi Allan,

swan - very elegant. This was my first idea too, but what with a lot of wind and a fair bit of ice round the lake, it didn't work too well. It's just a shame he's looking away.

I'm not sure about the lemur, he looks more laid back then elegant to me, but it's a good shot nevertheless

:)

Hi, #1, looks a little blue :thinking: and pity is's swimming away from you. I do agree, though, they are very elegant. #2, Elegant :D

Cheers.

I have a lot of him/her swimming towards me but the water was very dull on the canal, so the blue was only the reflection of the bright sky, but you could only see it looking that way, I don't think the swan is blue well it doesn't look it to me could be wrong

Hi Allan

Elegant.. Swan I had the same idea at first, but when i popped down to my local pool - all the birds had been moved to allow for construction works

Defo fits the theme, but as Andy has pointed out its a shame it was going away from you.

Out of all the pics I took this seemed to work for me though admittedly it is going away from me I like that he was looking round

Hi Allan,

swan - very elegant. This was my first idea too, but what with a lot of wind and a fair bit of ice round the lake, it didn't work too well. It's just a shame he's looking away.

I'm not sure about the lemur, he looks more laid back then elegant to me, but it's a good shot nevertheless

:)

He's not looking away he's seductively looking back at me :p

fair point about the lemur it just amused me

Last edited:
Hi Allan ..... love the lemur :D

Lots of excellent ideas coming on for Elegant ...your swan being one of them ...he has got an enquiring look in his eye o_O

thanks Susie, there seems to be quite a few swans coming in now

Ah yes a Lemur with it all "hanging out "Very elegant" :D

Actually I prefer that one, over the swan (as already mentioned) as its swimming away .
Plus I have a soft spot for Lemurs anyway :D

I love the lemur pic :ROFLMAO: not sure it's on theme though, but thanks for posting it as it made me LOL......

Now if you could have just got the swan to obey stage direction and turn a little .......

Clever interpretation. Tiniest point might be to stain the water a little bit so that it is easier to see but is still insipid.

Watery mushroom soup??

Interesting take on the theme and I like the B&W conversion.

As above, I might like a little colour on the water to give more definition.

Cheers.

Mushroom soup can be watery, no doubt about that, it can also be tasty too (y)
I don't mind the lack of definition in the water BTW.

Clever interpretation. Tiniest point might be to stain the water a little bit so that it is easier to see but is still insipid.

I feel adding a little stain to the water would have been classed as a luxury

Watery mushroom soup??

Interesting take on the theme and I like the B&W conversion.

As above, I might like a little colour on the water to give more definition.

Cheers.

thanks for looking

Mushroom soup can be watery, no doubt about that, it can also be tasty too (y)
I don't mind the lack of definition in the water BTW.

I don't think this could be classed as tasty :puke:, thanks for not jumping on the cloudy water bandwagon, I thought it would be a step to far myself (y)

I like it, b ut then I have a similar sideways look at soup on my Flickr :)

Watery - when I first glanced at the image I didn't get the connection with the theme, I like the processing used and the composition. Tho I think for my tastes I'd like the water to stand out a bit better.

I like it, b ut then I have a similar sideways look at soup on my Flickr :)

Thanks for looking just had a quick look at your flickr page thats an excellent soup image (y)

Watery - when I first glanced at the image I didn't get the connection with the theme, I like the processing used and the composition. Tho I think for my tastes I'd like the water to stand out a bit better.

thanks Mandy
:agree: with all that @Pinkbikerbabe says plus I like the old wooden chopping board ... perfect for this image.

Thanks d00d, its not that old its from Ikea :LOL:

Nice photo for Watery..

Like the B+W conversion..

I was going to do something very similar, but with Minestrone Soup then after seeing your photo decided on doing something else.
I have now decided not to view other peoples photo until i have done my own first :)

very sensible not to look, its quite annoying and frustrating,
but also you should do what you want as it will be your interpretation and therefore different

I don't think this could be classed as tasty :puke:,
My local Chinese restaurant does a nice mushroom soup, not sure how they do it, but that is also "clear"

Allan, I like the idea (one I am also considering) but I think that the picture itself does not tell the story. If we did not know the theme was watery there is no chance that anyone would deduce it. As many have said, the liquid needs some slight colouration to aid the impact. Nevertheless, you are one of the few so far, who have, IMHO, got a real association with the theme.

Hi Allan,

great idea, and well on the theme...and it's very well shot and composed, I just feel a touch of colour in the soup would have improved it :)

I like the idea, but I would have liked to have seen the bowl at an angle, with perhaps some reflections on the water, to make it more evident. At first glance I thought that it was three slices of mushroom on a plate, if you know what I mean. Spot on idea.

Karl

:) that's a very unique one Allan ...composition is spot on, and the b&w gives it that extra watery edge.

Thanks Susie

Allan, I like the idea (one I am also considering) but I think that the picture itself does not tell the story. If we did not know the theme was watery there is no chance that anyone would deduce it. As many have said, the liquid needs some slight colouration to aid the impact. Nevertheless, you are one of the few so far, who have, IMHO, got a real association with the theme.

To put the water issue to bed adding something to the water would just make it a light grey colour in B+W, I felt with the shadows under the mushrooms that alone would make them look like they were floating in a liquid and water is see through, I think everyone regardlessly has figured out they are in water without to much trouble, thats not a criticism of you seems a few people have the same thought, maybe its because I know its in water is enough for me :thinking: perhaps it could indeed be made clearer
glad you liked it overall

Hi Allan,

great idea, and well on the theme...and it's very well shot and composed, I just feel a touch of colour in the soup would have improved it :)

Thanks colour in the soup been noted :)

I like the idea, but I would have liked to have seen the bowl at an angle, with perhaps some reflections on the water, to make it more evident. At first glance I thought that it was three slices of mushroom on a plate, if you know what I mean. Spot on idea.

Karl

you figured it out in the end though (y)

Back