weekly Canon f1.8 for 2018 - Week 3

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Well this is my first go at this sort of thing so don't expect miracles :)

As I understand you can play jokers to cover for missed weeks, so I intend to use a maximum of four jokers to cover for holidays.

Now just got to get the hang of the posting and linking :confused:

Good luck, Paul. Seems that you'll be using one lens for the entire year whilst I'm aiming to use a different lens for every shot

Good luck, Paul. Seems that you'll be using one lens for the entire year whilst I'm aiming to use a different lens for every shot
Got a couple of 2.8's as well so I should be OK :)
:welcome: Paul and looking forward to seeing some your photos.
thank you Stan

Welcome to the 52 challenge, good luck on your 2018 challenge.
Thank you Mandy, hope I can do it justice

Hope you enjoy the 52 Paul :)
Well Dave after the tips you have gave I hope so as well ;)

Welcome to the 52s Paul:) Plenty of help and advice here about the posting; just watch out for the donuts:D

Happy New Year

I have been laid up for the past few days with the flu and not had much spare time on my hands, actually had loads of time but just could not be bothered to do anything apart from stay in bed :(

so
here goes with week 1, not the best of days for light as the sun is harsh this time of year, and my PP skills are a bit lacking ;)

image attached but I cannot figure out how to link back to the other thread :(

Gate Week 1_small by Paul, on Flickr

Thanks Dave / Phil

was going to try a night shot as the monument is lit up but it has been way too cold to go up there recently.

Hi Paul,

Gate - Nice. I like the two contrasting focal points in the image, the clarity of the shot, the vibrancy of the colours and the snow :)

People - Quite a few good expressions going on there, not just the chap on camera left (the chap on camera right stands out for me).
No one seems to be batting an eyelid that you are taking photos. it just goes to show that the 'fear' many people have shooting 'street' isn't all that justified. Most people are too wrapped up in their own world to notice.

Great idea. We had a plastic nifty fifty do the rounds years ago. You took a few shots and passed it to the next person on the list. There were some great shots, it really forced you to think about composition.
Hope you have the same fun.

Gate is bang on theme and that's an interesting structure behind the gate.

People is a great shot, good DoF, great colours and plenty to see (y)

Gate is bang on theme and that's an interesting structure behind the gate.

People is a great shot, good DoF, great colours and plenty to see (y)
Thanks Bernd
the monument is a replica of the Temple of Hephaestus in Greece but we call it Penshaw Monument

Hi Paul,

Gate - Nice. I like the two contrasting focal points in the image, the clarity of the shot, the vibrancy of the colours and the snow :)

People - Quite a few good expressions going on there, not just the chap on camera left (the chap on camera right stands out for me).
No one seems to be batting an eyelid that you are taking photos. it just goes to show that the 'fear' many people have shooting 'street' isn't all that justified. Most people are too wrapped up in their own world to notice.
Cheers Tim, was standing on a skating rink when I took the shot of Penshaw Monument, damn slippery it was.
Was half expecting that bloke on the left to come over and ask what the hell i was doing he sat staring at me for a good 5 minutes
Agree with Tim on your people shot, some great expressions on their faces and like Tim says, know one is really paying attention to you :)
Thanks Dave, I get a bit nervous taking candids of people, you never know what their reaction will be.
Great idea. We had a plastic nifty fifty do the rounds years ago. You took a few shots and passed it to the next person on the list. There were some great shots, it really forced you to think about composition.
Hope you have the same fun.
Thank you Byker, I'm sure the Stark challenge will be just that, a challenge.

Old wooden Gate looks fab in the sun ... good texture, colour & detail. That monument: icing on the cake. (y)

Quality People shot, sharp on the FG half dozen, again, good colour & detail. (y)

Love the people shot; lots to see. Don't know about the guy on the left, the one on the right is clearly not having a good time:D

Thanks Mandy
I remembered the gate from a visit up there with my god-daughter a couple of year ago so the theme was spot on for me.
Still wondering about what the guy on the left was thinking as he sat watching me :)

OK
had to rack my brains for a 'Stark' image after seeing some already posted and as the weather is naff to say the least it had to be an indoors shot.......... so here we go

The last christmas sweet :) against a STARK background ;)

stark week 3 by Paul, on Flickr

Last edited:
Er... sorry, I'm probably being thick, but I don't get this one for the theme.
Nicely taken though. Good strong black background and an excellent reflection captured there which grounds the bar.

Nice image Paul, but as I don't like bounty's there in no stark realisation that it's the last for me.

Pete

Er... sorry, I'm probably being thick, but I don't get this one for the theme.
Nicely taken though. Good strong black background and an excellent reflection captured there which grounds the bar.
thanks Tim, was a bit stumped for a subject so I thought have something bright against a stark black bacground :)

Good technique Paul and the shot works really well as a bit of a shoehorn:D
cheers John, was a bit dubious as to whether it would work.

Nice image Paul, but as I don't like bounty's there in no stark realisation that it's the last for me.

Pete
Pete, not too keen on them myself much prefer the purple ones but they went straight away. ;)

I love the photo, well lit and great colours! I don't get the connection to the theme, but I like a good shoehorn/joker...

You got a shot in, sometimes an idea just doesnt come to mind, ot ir does, and someone else posts the same idea......these are the challenges of the 52....

When we get a theme that we don`t like or weather stops us, then we can Play a Joker just to get a shot in. So I`d say your shot is a joker, great reflections too :)

so my bright detailed bounty against a STARK black background does not count :mad:

I should have done something like this :p

stark.jpg

The Bounty is on theme. Garish colours with reflection and black BG ... nicely done.

Gate - good shot with an interesting background
People - plenty of people in that I like that the focus is on the individuals seated at the front.
Stark - I like the bounty shot even if it is a shoehorn great reflection, it does stand out against the dark background

Stark - I must admit i like the image as well even though it's a bit of a shoehorn, but it's exposed nicely and a great reflection. Your second image is great as well, pin sharp detail and the figure stands out against the white background.

Your Gate image is great, Paul, lovely and large in the frame, good light and contrast, and with the added bonus of the building looming large on the hill.
People is also excellent, a really interesting group of people in the sharp foreground group and others in the background, and some great expressions too (y)
Your first image for Stark was fine for me; it is clearly a bright subject contrasting against the plain background, but the second one works really well too, with the colourful figure standing out well against a stark white BG.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images, and hope you enjoy your 52.

Stark doesn't work through without the explanation that it's the last of the christmas sweets. It's just a close up of a sweet with reflection

I think it might have worked better if it was a wide shot, with the sweet to one side quite small. The usual thought of a stark is perhaps a single tree in a desolate landscape. Perhaps unwrap the sweet, stand it on its end and make it appear as a desolate tree trunk perhaps on a third on the image or even wider?

Back