Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Here we go. Completed TP52 2015 and now ready and raring to go with the next. I hope to improve my photographic skills, specifically with the use of off camera flash. I hope also to be able to submit more outdoor work this year than I did last time.

Great to see you continuing into 2016 Carl, looking forward to your photos each week (y)
Thanks DK - ready now to brush these cobwebs off and get cracking. Quite a starting line-up for 2016 - good to be there at the very start this time around. :banana:

Thanks DK - ready now to brush these cobwebs off and get cracking. Quite a starting line-up for 2016 - good to be there at the very start this time around. :banana:
You sure did have a blast catching up last year, considering you started 5 months late :D

You sure did have a blast catching up last year, considering you started 5 months late :D
I sure did Dean - surprised I didn't outstay my welcome with the constant bombardment of catch-ups during those early days. Enjoyed it though. Once a week just doesn't seem enou.. um ... One submission a week just doesn't seem enough.

Lovely old Camera Carl, nicely taken too (y)

Nice sharp shot there Carl. I like the way you've added subtle bokeh in the background.
Good to see you've *finally* caught up with week zero ;)

By the way, you've no link to your thread from the your post in the main 2016 thread.

Hi Carl, nice camera is it still working and do you use it, a bit more space around it maybe but thats just personal taste, I do like the BG

Lovely old Camera Carl, nicely taken too (y)
Thanks PHP.
By the way, you've no link to your thread from the your post in the main 2016 thread.
Thanks Tim - all sorted now.
Hi Carl, nice camera is it still working and do you use it, a bit more space around it maybe but thats just personal taste, I do like the BG
Thanks Allan - found it in a skip at a Council dump - not sure it works but has some film in it (wonder if any images are retrievable?). Yeah, I think yours works better with the space.

:D
I think I'll change my name to Phitt I'm Sure Snakey
and let the swear filter sort you out :p
Ha ha - a touch of Spoonerism or just a couple of scotches and Hissy Phitt would make the swear filter go into overdrive.

Hi Carl, very shiny cutlery, the first one needs some symmetry and the second one took me a while to figure out but I think it works better

Certainly metal cant doubt that

Great idea, i think it would have worked better if the full reflection was showing in #1
#2 is my fave because it shows abstract reflection, which works really well, maybe on LH corner bit tight on crop.
All in all two nice takes:)

I'm with Allan and Walter, I think the second one works better. Don't ask me why though..
Perhaps it's because the crisp focus in on the reflections not the actual subjects themselves, which make the shot more interesting.
:)

Hi Carl .... Really pleased you're still here for this years challenge :)

Super shot of the camera for Old, I like the bokeh, it makes a really nice change to solid black. It would be interesting to see if the film in it would develop.

Loving your idea for Metal ....I'd thought myself to try knives and forks, but you've really enhanced it with the lighting, they look super shiny. Symmetry on #1 is a bit squiffed, and does jangle a bit with my OCD but I think #2 is great especially on Flickr ...in fact it works really well upside down. Did you take loads of shots, I imagine it's one of those with endless compositions.

Oooo Shiney (y)

I'm going with #1 as I think its less cluttered than #2
but I also agree with the above, maybe the full reflection would have worked better?

Metal: definitely no 2 for me - As a whole, just more pleasing on the eye.

Also, the deep black and silver combination work great together. Was this achieved in camera or has a toned mono conversion been done?

Last edited:
Hi, not keen on #1, mainly because it's not symmetrical, but I do like #2. Fills the frame, nice deep blacks and th composition works for me.

Cheers

I think there is something a bit horror/sci-fi movie about #1 which I quite like, both good and well lit.

I think I prefer two too, but in both I like the way you've arranged forks atop spoons to create those interesting reflections, it's very imaginative.

JESUS CHRIST !!! - Catching up with comments already :bang:

Lovely detail in the 'old' shot Carl, just enough light to show detail on the surface too, along with very nice lighting, bang on photo mate (y)

Metal - It's the second one for me, both real good bright images and masses of detail, but it's the strong diagonal and multiple reflections that make the second stand out for me, love it :clap:

Hi Carl, very shiny cutlery, the first one needs some symmetry and the second one took me a while to figure out but I think it works better Certainly metal cant doubt that
Thanks Allan. My better half, when asked, picked #2 against my original choice - shows what a good judge I am. I know what you mean about symmetry - I had only registered that one of the tines on the LH fork was askew.

I think there is something a bit horror/sci-fi movie about #1 which I quite like, both good and well lit.
Thanks Chris. A quality set comes out looking quite industrial under a macro lens.

I think I prefer two too, but in both I like the way you've arranged forks atop spoons to create those interesting reflections, it's very imaginative.
Cheers Nick. I have to admit to seeing the spoon/fork arrangement elsewhere so can't lay claim to the idea unfortunately - wish that I could.

Great idea, i think it would have worked better if the full reflection was showing in #1. #2 is my fave because it shows abstract reflection, which works really well, maybe on LH corner bit tight on crop.
All in all two nice takes:)
Thanks Walter - see what you mean about the tight crop. I'll adjust the original to give more space.

I'm with Allan and Walter, I think the second one works better. Don't ask me why though.. Perhaps it's because the crisp focus in on the reflections not the actual subjects themselves, which make the shot more interesting.
:)
Thanks Tim. Not the first time the other half has been proved right - she picked #2 as well ... .darn it !

Symmetry on #1 is a bit squiffed, and does jangle a bit with my OCD but I think #2 is great especially on Flickr ...in fact it works really well upside down. Did you take loads of shots, I imagine it's one of those with endless compositions.
Thank you Susie. I so enjoyed TP2 first time around that I just couldn't miss out on a second round. I had 6 sets arranged in an arc and fired off a few shots from different angles before settling on these two images. Sorry for the OCD impact - hadn't even thought about the symmetry, just the slightly skew tine on the LH fork.

Oooo Shiney (y) I'm going with #1 as I think its less cluttered than #2 but I also agree with the above, maybe the full reflection would have worked better?
Thanks Cobra. Needed a bit of PP work to accentuate the shine but yes, maybe cutting the reflection did take something away from #1.

Metal: definitely no 2 for me - As a whole, just more pleasing on the eye. Also, the deep black and silver combination work great together. Was this achieved in camera or has a toned mono conversion been done?
Thanks Jason. I took the original RAW into PS and then converted to b&w and used Selective Colour to boost the white, grey, black tones to enhance the shiny look.

Last edited:
JESUS CHRIST !!! - Catching up with comments already :banghead: Lovely detail in the 'old' shot Carl, just enough light to show detail on the surface too, along with very nice lighting, bang on photo mate (y)
Metal - It's the second one for me, both real good bright images and masses of detail, but it's the strong diagonal and multiple reflections that make the second stand out for me, love it :clap:
Thanks DK. Quite taken with my homemade softbox - the neighbours probably think we have a rave on each night with the flash firing off shots so frequently :LOL:. Really enjoying learning though.

I'm so far behind already :runaway:

Loving your practice shot Carl, lovely lighting and lots of detail too. Definitely Old (n)

Those metal shots are fab. What a great idea and love the reflections in #2. That's my fave :clap::clap::clap:

I like the second one more but not sure why. I like the multiple reflections of the tines in the spoons.

I'm so far behind already :runaway:Loving your practice shot Carl, lovely lighting and lots of detail too. Definitely Old (n) Those metal shots are fab. What a great idea and love the reflections in #2. That's my fave :clap::clap::clap:
Thank you MMM. The fork/spoon thing was an original idea .... once and by someone far cleverer I'm afraid. I liked the effect and thought I'd give it a go ... took quite a few shots but tried not to make a meal of it :ROFLMAO: (sorry, couldn't resist).

I like the second one more but not sure why. I like the multiple reflections of the tines in the spoons.
Thank you Minx - I preferred the first but I'm beginning to waver now.

#2 for me, the reflections are incredible! Really nice photo!

I love them both, but #2 is my favourite too. The reflections on the back of the spoons are outstanding

I like the subject in the second one and very well executed. Not just metal, but shiny metal!

Hello Carl, i like both images but the second is my favorite.The second for me is a better balanced image and has more to for the viewer to take in. Good luck completing you 52

Back