Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

Vast - clever take on the theme and a striking composition
Rough - I like the crashing wave best plenty of white water and spray right on theme

Hi Carl

Rough Justice is cleverly thought out, shot and put together, but ... I'm with the rest, preferring the Rough sea ... you'd think that bloke would duck or something.

Well thought out for #1 great knot looks authentic, nice bit of PP, #2 nice compo pleasing shot, love the drop shadow frames it nicely.
Thanks Walter. Got motivated to learn some knots ... not that a noose will be useful in any way other than photographically.

Like the Rough Sea shot, well spotted and good timing too. Like the overall misty look to the image.
Thanks Stan - definitely got my fill of fresh air and sea salt that day.

Vast - clever take on the theme and a striking composition Rough - I like the crashing wave best plenty of white water and spray right on theme
Thank you. The first was a bit on the "dark" side I suppose ha ha.

Rough sea, can't make my mind up on the misty look, but do like the composition, detail and the figure adds a sense of scale. Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Misty look wasn't intentional ... could be the sea spray !?!?

Hi Carl Rough Justice is cleverly thought out, shot and put together, but ... I'm with the rest, preferring the Rough sea ... you'd think that bloke would duck or something.
Thanks David. I was surprised how nonchalant he was ... especially with all that debris that the waves were throwing up - pebbles were huge ...getting hit on the bonce with one of those would have been very harmful.

Two nice shots for Rough. #1 is a good idea done very well. #2 just edges it for me for the theme, that person must be slightly crazy but really adds to the shot.
Thanks Steve. Yes, it wouldn't have been quite as dramatic without the figure in the second.

Hi Carl, I think the motorbike shot works better the tomatoes are a little vague looking need to work on it a little more as the idea is a good one

Tomato shot for me Carl, due to the contrasting reds and greens . I like the tight crop.
Those disks are very clean. I don't think mine have ever looked like that, even after being replaced.

Hi Carl, I think the motorbike shot works better the tomatoes are a little vague looking need to work on it a little more as the idea is a good one
Thanks Allan. Sad really, but I was quite taken with the effect of stretched cling film. I'll have to try different lighting and settings .... should keep me quiet for a while.

You're coming up with some great shots Carl, I really like the one of the tomatoes ......it has a very abstract feel about it, the cycle shot is fabulous, what a great find, perfect focus and very nicely framed too :clap:
Thank you Susie. The bike shot was fairly easy but the cling film was a bit of a stretch :exit:(ahem! sorry).

Two good shots, but I prefer the wheel to the toms, I think its just a more pleasing composition.
Thanks Clive. I got a few strange looks at the dealership - they may have understood taking a shot of an exposed piece of engineering but not one covered in plastic !!! Thankfully there's no longer such a position as Village Idiot .... or is there ?!?!

Tomato shot for me Carl, due to the contrasting reds and greens . I like the tight crop.
Those disks are very clean. I don't think mine have ever looked like that, even after being replaced.
Thanks Tim. Never seen so many crated bikes in one place before - there must have been 30 or so and from Vietnam and Japan. Don't have a particular interest in bikes but they looked great standing there in the sunshine.

Both interesting images Carl, its a tough call, but I think I prefer the disc brake, purely for the extra clarity.

Although there is something slightly surreal, about the tomatoes.

That's this weeks theme well and truly covered
:coat:

Hi another vote for the bike photo from me. Like the composition and detail.
Well done for thinking of something different. Nearly everything comes shrink wrapped these days!

Both interesting images Carl, its a tough call, but I think I prefer the disc brake, purely for the extra clarity.Although there is something slightly surreal, about the tomatoes. That's this weeks theme well and truly covered :coat:
Thanks Mr.C. Covered .... or smothered perhaps ha ha.

Great idea WM
Thank you William.

Hi another vote for the bike photo from me. Like the composition and detail. Well done for thinking of something different. Nearly everything comes shrink wrapped these days!
Thanks Anita. A bit worrying really with all the talk about slow release toxins in plastic eh!

Covered - I like the stretched cling film over the bright red tomatoes best nothing wrong with the other one mind just my preference.

Been having fun Carl ... experimenting with cling-film. :eek:

Both first rate ... I just love the abstracty experimentalisms of the tomato shot. :clap:

Covered - I like the stretched cling film over the bright red tomatoes best nothing wrong with the other one mind just my preference.
Thank you

Rough is outstanding!! and the second covered gets my vote (y)
Thanks Frank - very kind of you.

Well pp'd on the MB wheel suits with the black border.
Thank you Walter.

#2 for me. I like the moody lighting, the black border and slither of white border. Cheers.
Thanks Andy.

I think I prefer the second shot here - nice composition and it feels as though the bike must just be screaming to get out on the road doing its thing under all those layers!
Thank you Emma.

Been having fun Carl ... experimenting with cling-film. :eek: Both first rate ... I just love the abstracty experimentalisms of the tomato shot. :clap:
Well, you know how it is being confined indoors during cold wet weather ... you could say I became enwraptured :exit:

Hi Carl I love the darkness of the hanging woody image, but the rough sea is the one for me, for me the frame is a tad heavy, but a real good angle that with the waves and defenses angling in from the corner, some nice blue sky too... Nice One (y)
Thanks DK

Last edited:
Tomatoes for me, both very good but I like the abstract nature of the first

Hi again Carl - A couple of cracking images for covered, love the colours of the wrapped tomatoes?? a very pleasing effect indeed, and the brake disks were a good spot indeed, I love the composition with them spokes shining and appear to be coming out of the page - great entries for the theme (y)

Vast - Creative concept and brilliant execution there. :) I really like it!

Rough 1 - Aww, what a sad and stark picture. Nicely done, though! Once again another creative bit of thinking!

Rough 2 - Really good moment captured. The haziness doesn’t really work for me, as I feel it goes counter to the roughness of the sea. But I really like the other elements of the picture - the waves, the composition and the colours, and the lone man standing there.

Covered 1 - I think the tomatoes is an interesting shot. Creative use of cling film to be on theme. ;) Only thing is I’m not sure about the choice of focus.

Covered 2 - That’s a nice shot. I like the composition and light.

Hi again Carl - A couple of cracking images for covered, love the colours of the wrapped tomatoes?? a very pleasing effect indeed, and the brake disks were a good spot indeed, I love the composition with them spokes shining and appear to be coming out of the page - great entries for the theme (y)
Hey, thanks DK.

Must admit Carl the more I look at the tomatoes the more I like, I keep going back to it for some strange reason :)
Thanks Chris - must admit I was quite taken with the way light played on cling film.

Vast - Creative concept and brilliant execution there. :) I really like it! Rough 1 - Aww, what a sad and stark picture. Nicely done, though! Once again another creative bit of thinking! Rough 2 - Really good moment captured. The haziness doesn’t really work for me, as I feel it goes counter to the roughness of the sea. But I really like the other elements of the picture - the waves, the composition and the colours, and the lone man standing there. Covered 1 - I think the tomatoes is an interesting shot. Creative use of cling film to be on theme. ;) Only thing is I’m not sure about the choice of focus. Covered 2 - That’s a nice shot. I like the composition and light.
Thank you Sheylara. I can see why the tomatoes shot may produce conflicting views with it's focus more on the cling film than the fruit but it just seemed to work out better that way round ... at least to my (highly questionable) mind.

I prefer your covered shot #2. I like the sharpness in the details, and also prefer the composition.

What a brilliant idea, Carl. Well executed, too! Love it :clap:

Hi Carl, I was convinced I'd commented on covered already!! I like the second one - works really well for me, but the tomatoes lose a bit being covered. I think @alsjazzera has put into words exactly what I think. Love the second shot, mind.

Colourful is exceptional :clap: The background works perfectly (in terms of composition and colour) and it's just a brilliant image! Care to share how you did it?!

Back