weekly dankabass3 TP52 for 2016 - WEEK 17 - ROUGH added

Interesting backstory for the shot and well done you for being in the right place at the right time with any sort of camera :)
Colour balance is quite badly off though. What editing software do you have? Because it would be really easy to correct the colour cast which would improve the image no end.

Interesting backstory for the shot and well done you for being in the right place at the right time with any sort of camera :)
Colour balance is quite badly off though. What editing software do you have? Because it would be really easy to correct the colour cast which would improve the image no end.
Thank you for your comments. I use Google Picasa however didn't have much time recently for editing. I looked at the photo on my phone and it really does look much worse than it looked on my laptop. Will most probably play with it a bit in next few days.

Picasa is up the the job :) 10 seconds with the "Natural Colour Picker" should give you a massive improvement.
By the way, in case you'd not sen the news, Picasa is being discontinued from mid March. Make sure you get a backup copy of the latest installer before google remove it.

Hiya, some interesting images there.

Good spot on the deer - I'd assumed it had been taken somewhere more exotic than Richmond :) Only comment would be about it not being very well camouflaged at that moment in time, though ;)
Dangerous works well and is a great POV translating into a really interesting image. I like all the angles - it works really well.
Topical - unfortunately this image doesn't work for me - I'd prefer to get less or all of the boat in frame (as it is, it looks a bit like the back end was just missed accidentally). Others have mentioned the WB/cast being well off although that's easily fixed - you might want to get your laptop screen checked if it's giving you that much of a colour shift! Sky is badly blown as well, but I realise you were limited by not having your "usual" camera with you - that's less easily fixed other than with a sky replacement!

Camo - nice interpretation and liking the surroundings also

Dangerous - If the traffic inst the viewpoint definitely looks like it might be - loving the POV - very nice :)

Topical - very opportune capture and wonderful back story - as others have said the colour / white balance looks off but should be easily remedied

Camouflage - poor deer looks like its been abandoned
Danger - What with the Drop and the Traffic looks very dangerous to me
Topical - good spot for the theme

Camouflage....He certainly looks at home out there!
Danger ....Dangerous indeed! I HATE driving in London and will avoid it if at all possible.
Topical ...Very nice. She still looks good doesn't she!

Camouflage - Well, I guess it’s a bit of a camouflage if you're not paying attention. :p

Dangerous - Sure looks dangerous to meI like how you’ve somehow managed to get those buses in a triangular pattern, and they seem to be almost equidistance from each other!

Topical - Like others have said, it’s kind of green, but it’s a nice find for the theme with a good accompanying story. :)

WEEK 9 - LIVING WORLD

I have to admit that I am not a fan of pigeons but I took this image on the London Bridge and quite liked it; at the end of the day The Pigeons are a part of our Living World

week 9 - LIVING WORLD.jpg

Hi @dankabass3,

Living World - I have to agree with your thoughts on the flying rodents, but agree it fits the theme (and the one on the right seems to have it's eye on you).
Spiky - What is it you are looking through? It's a shame you weren't a few inches to your right, as then you could have framed the keep of the Tower completely in the gap (in fact there is another completely different shot there with the Tower in focus and the railing oof too).
It's funny that you've taken a shot of the Tower as I was wandering around outside there yesterday having gotten out of a course at 1pm aand needing to stay up in town to meet some mates at 5.30. 4 hours to kill and no camera! :(

Edit to add: @Cobra, can you fix the links from the main thread.

Last edited:
Hi. Been there a few times in the past ... will make the journey in maybe when Spring has sprung. As you say, pigeons are part of our world, the Living World - just a shame they cause such a mess eh!. Good choice for Spiky - that metal railing looks badly in need of a re-paint so make the ideal subject for photography with all that texture on display. :clap:

Living world - the pigeons look like they are on border control watch who comes past their line

Spiky- is certainly spiky I agree it would have been a bonus to have framed the Tower in the gap.

WEEK 11 - ARTIFICIAL

This is on the gate in the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London. I only noticed the gate today although walked around so many times.
week 11 - ARTIFICIAL.jpg

WEEK 12 - PERSONAL

This is very broad topic - walked around the river Thames this afternoon and seen few locks on the gates; these are just four random locks to me but I guess for someone they are very personal.
week 12 - PERSONAL.jpg

Certainly by it's very nature anything theatrical fits the Artificial theme and the masks are quite symbolic so good choice there. As for love locks, that too is well themed. Strange they seem to be the same type and in a neat arrangement - usually the reverse applies. Like the sharp focus and the bg. (You may need to re-do your link from the main page)

Hi @dankabass3
Artificial - I think I would have had one or other set of the flowers as the focal point of the shot, rather than the masks. Masks are by definition no natural, whereas the flowers are an artificial representation of a natural object. Great spot. Having worked a few hundred yards from the Globe for many years, I've never spotted that gate.
Personal - Interesting, as you say, they obviously mean something to someone, but to passers by they appear random.
I like the way you've used a shallow DoF, but with it actually being subtle enough to recongnise the Wobbly Bridge and and Wren's big church in the background. It would place you more or less exactly outside Southwark Power Station.

Edit: I just googled and... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_lock#Notable_locations_and_controversies

Artificial ... interesting take. I've never noticed that gate either, I'd like to see more.

Personal ... again, nice choice, good perspective, fab BG ... wondering what it would look like slightly less OOF.

(y)

Artificial ... interesting take. I've never noticed that gate either, I'd like to see more.

Personal ... again, nice choice, good perspective, fab BG ... wondering what it would look like slightly less OOF.

(y)

Attachments

• 1458770525862.jpg
    1458770525862.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 3
Really like the locks.
The OOF London view in the BG is perfect.

As above really nice DoF on the locks, the gates for atificial are a fantastic bit of ironwork too

Topical - I really do like this image, can't help but think that it has a slight pale yellow cast to it :thinking:.

Living world - I am also not a fan of the pigeon, but it fits the theme.

Artificial - what an interesting looking gate, like the detail in the masks.

Personal - I guess they must be personal to someone, I wonder if there's not a better composition somewhere.

WEEK 13 - EFFORT

This picture was taken during one of my London walks - it was the Street Art walk around the East London.

week 13 - EFFORT.jpg

WEEK 14 - TECHNOLOGY

The big screens are around London for people to watch the Shakespeare's plays - this one is in the Scoop.

week 15 TECHNOLOGY.jpg

Last edited:
WEEK 15 - HORIZONTAL

This photo probably suits to the theme only 50:50 as its the stack of the chairs I seen in More London; no story behind it really.

week 14 HORIZONTAL.jpg

WEEK 16 - VAST

I have to admit that I was struggling with this theme as to me VAST is an immense space like the sea or the beach or the enormous forest.
I live in central London so no beach, sea or forest... I watched the London Marathon today and seen all these runners approaching the Tower Bridge - I know that technically its not the best shot but I guess it can fit to the theme (at least tiny bit)

week 16 VAST.jpg

WEEK 17 - ROUGH

Another photo which might not exactly fit the theme - last weekend there was a classic cars boot sale in London Kings Cross. Some really interesting cars and motorbikes were there; all polished and well looked after. This one looked a bit rough to me.

week 17 ROUGH.jpg

Great Catch up that car is looking rather rough, I like the contrast in the colours in the two halves of the effort picture
and your vast is right on theme with vast number of people in it.

Hi. Excellent work to catch-up.
Effort: Like the art work just a shame that signpost cuts through the image.
Technology: Fits the theme and topical as well.
Horizontal: Works well and as an abstract too.
Vast: Yes, huge crowds and runners so definitely fits the theme.
Rough: Fits the theme on two fronts, by surface rust and condition. Nicely spotted - love the colour.

• Effort - I really like what you've captured there, even the street furniture feels appropriate. It needs a tad of a rotation to the left though to straighten it.
  • Technology - I didn't know that was happening until I read DG's blog after the event. it would have been good to try to get to a few of them (those that were working anyway). I can't moan about the verticals in this one ;) and I like the contrast between the colours on the screen and the drab greyness of the rest of the image.
  • Vast - Works for the theme imo. Plenty of colour and action. Sorry but I'm going to mention the verticals / horizontals again.
  • Rough - Nice RatRod there, you've captured the textures of the 'hood' well.

Back