Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2020

Turned out good imo, a nice shot as I love trying too when there is a breeze.
Thanks Rainbow, I tried the same technique with a tulip on the other side of the garden, but the wind must have been a tad too strong, software couldn't line up the images correctly.

I love the tones in the Icelandic poppies photo and you have isolated the subjects perfectly
Thanks Alan, it was the how the rims of the buds looked black the drew my eye and the one bud that looked lighter then the others (I think that was the one that bloomed in the second image).

The wall outside the VSO School of Music

May 06 (1 of 1) (2).jpg

The musical annotations (annotations?) go all the way up the wall:

May 06 (1 of 1)-17.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Shugpug, I was trying to find something a little different to shoot. I also had this one as a possibility:

May 06 (1 of 1)-18.jpg

Another vote for the mono. I never realised there was a different type of musical notation from the notes etc I'm used to!

I like them all. Both colour and mono. You could have chosen any of them for the main thread.

I like the mono version a lot Bill and it's nicely processed too.
Thanks Pete, yeah, given the old brick building beside this wall with the wrought iron fire escape I thought that gritty and B&W would be best.

Another vote for the mono. I never realised there was a different type of musical notation from the notes etc I'm used to!
Thanks Dave, to be honest I can't tell musical notation from hieroglyphics. It might be just a made up version for the sake of art :p

I agree with the above, the mono shot.
It has more impact and I prefer the composition of the shot - #2 is a bit too tall for me (iyswim).
Thanks Tim, I thought that the taller version was good to include just for perspective. It also highlights the fact that the wall is glass (or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).

Not sure if this one fulfills the mandate on not...colourful out of black and white...but it was an unexpected result of some messing around and I liked it....:cool:May 06 (2 of 2)-2.jpg

I'll let others decide whether it meets the brief, but it works for me. Colour pops don't usually work for me, but I rather like this - the subject and composition are lovely.

Love your music theme, definitely the chosen photo in mono. Well composed, definitely has an impact!

The colour pop for your last photo works really well. Thank you :)

Nice set on music Bill
Not sure if this one fulfills the mandate on not...colourful out of black and white...
Tim ( @LC2 ) is making the call on what fits the themes.
Either way, its a nice image.

Nice selective colour shot - I like it a lot :)

Reactions: LC2
I see what you're doing there :)
Seeing that @Cobra has positioned me as the big bad for techniques (not sure how that happened :runaway: ) I'm going to say the technique used here is "Selective Colour" rather than Black & White. Not that it's an issue, there are 7 more weeks in which to hit the 'de-saturate' option or select B&W in camera.

it is though, a good example of selective colouring and it certainly is colourful.

Seeing that @Cobra has positioned me as the big bad for techniques (not sure how that happened :runaway: )
You shouldn't have turned your back Tim :D

Someone has to do it, no point in us both doing it. So as you are the keeper of records, You are unanimously elected (y)

I'll let others decide whether it meets the brief, but it works for me. Colour pops don't usually work for me, but I rather like this - the subject and composition are lovely.
Thanks Shug, I'm with you. Not usually a huge fan of selective colour but as I was desaturating the colour channels in Lightroom, when i got rid of the green and yellow, I was left with this and just kind of liked it.

Back