weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

Hi DK, nice autumnal scene though I might have cloned those bare branches out top right

special, pity about the fence really

Hi there DK,

Shimmer: I like the mono take and the way the light has been caught in the droplets. A nice shimmery effect (y)
Element: Perfect :)
Seasonal: Great colours. The green really makes the leaf stand out.
Full: I really like this shot. Nice colour and dreamy water from the long exposure. Thanks for explaining how you took the shot too (y)
Special: Spot on theme. Agree wholeheartedly.

Absolutely right Dean - all who went experienced that nightmare of a time are Special. Great image ... fits the theme nicely of course.

Yo

Full ... a beaut! Leafy FG good 'n sharp, milky water, mountainous horizon, dramatic sky. (y)

Special ... lots of colour without being OTT on such a cloudy day, and I rather like the fence ... unusual isn't it?

Love the colours and dof in the leaf shot - perfectly captured. I'm not sure what that is in the bg on the right, but at first glance I thought one of Cobra's friends had escaped! I think maybe a bit of a shoehorn required for Full, but a beautiful shot and spot on composition nevertheless!

Hi DK
A nice dramatic shot for Full. The clouds and water compliment each other well. Excellent that it's a SooC shot, very well set up.
Thanks Tim :)
Nice lighting on the Special shot. I think the shorter grass gives the impression that the centre/memorial is lit slightly.
Well spotted, yes I agree you have something there :)

Hi DK, nice autumnal scene though I might have cloned those bare branches out top right
Hmmmm yeah maybe you right, I was thinking it framed it a bit but...

special, pity about the fence really
Thanks Allan :)

I like the fence myself, I feel it adds a sense of protection, security and a comforting closeness :)

Hi DK ...smashing shot for Full ...Scotland is so beautiful isn't it!
Thanks Susie :)

Yes it is, a wonderful country indeed !!!
Special... bang on theme, I always think of the people behind the names on those monuments, ordinary people just like us, yet so very special in the sacrifice they made.
Exactly, every day folk giving up there lives for our freedom !!!

Hi there DK,

Shimmer: I like the mono take and the way the light has been caught in the droplets. A nice shimmery effect (y)
Thanks Lee :)
Element: Perfect :)
Cool :)
Seasonal: Great colours. The green really makes the leaf stand out.
Thanks again... I liked it was the only leaf that had turned :)
Full: I really like this shot. Nice colour and dreamy water from the long exposure. Thanks for explaining how you took the shot too (y)
No problem, thank you :)
Special: Spot on theme. Agree wholeheartedly.
(y)

Absolutely right Dean - all who went experienced that nightmare of a time are Special. Great image ... fits the theme nicely of course.
Thanks Carl :)

Full; Beautiful image with good exposure balance and very well thought out too.
Thank you Stan :)

Special; spot on and from me nothing else are needed.
Nice - Thanks :cool:

Hey :)

Full ... a beaut! Leafy FG good 'n sharp, milky water, mountainous horizon, dramatic sky. (y)
Thanks David :)

Special ... lots of colour without being OTT on such a cloudy day, and I rather like the fence ... unusual isn't it?
I thought it was unusual yes, I did have a couple of shots shot through it so it wasn't visible, but on balance I liked the further away shots, including the fence and the context to the surroundings :)

Love the colours and dof in the leaf shot - perfectly captured. I'm not sure what that is in the bg on the right, but at first glance I thought one of Cobra's friends had escaped! I think maybe a bit of a shoehorn required for Full, but a beautiful shot and spot on composition nevertheless!
Thanks Elaine... it does look a bit shriveled snake'y doesn't it, maybe I should have pp's some eyes on it :D

Right and onto this week...

Quite a tough one I thought, I have many habits, not many bad ones, just general OCD type traits :D

So having a quick think once I finally got back home today (Been house hunting all weekend again)... I decided I would try a type of shot that I practiced in Scotland with the great help of @posiview & @blondie606 - Off Camera flash, shot from the side left, reflector to side right, with a dark box sat next to the flash acting as a sheild to keep the flash from the rear wall... a BIG thank you to both Andy and Lynne for the advice and modelling.

Overall I am happy with the shot, even though I hate pics of myself (Even more so sporting some 'Movember' Growth) What have I learned, I need to keep practicing, trying different angles and flasgh powers, and also to get a flash stand and a few grips (Reflectors balanced on the hoover is not the most stable of places), speedlight softbox's etc. to give me more flexibility, but in a whole - I had fun :)

Hopefully the shot is not too dark OR to tightly cropped, I did try hard to get the mug logo captured corrctly to give a hint as to the contents :)

so here we have - Wk 46 - me and my Coffee 'Habit'

Wk 46 - habit by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Starbucks, I've heard they have wonderful service in their coffee shops ;)

Well done here. Sis are not easy to do, but you've composed it well and, with my limited OCF, knowledge lit it well. I think for the theme, though that more light on the LHS is needed. It's quite moody lighting for a subject that isn't moody, IYSWIM.

Uber crit, seems to be something near the ©.

Overall, I like it :clap:

Cheers.

It think that's just about right on all counts Dean, (y)
Nice :)

Hi @Dark Knight ....., that's what I've been trying to do all day......like the lighting on yours...much more even than I managed.......trying to balance / hold reflectors is not easy :(

Starbucks, I've heard they have wonderful service in their coffee shops ;)
You ain't kidding :LOL:

Well done here. Sis are not easy to do, but you've composed it well and, with my limited OCF, knowledge lit it well. I think for the theme, though that more light on the LHS is needed. It's quite moody lighting for a subject that isn't moody, IYSWIM.
Yes mate I certainly know what you mean... but I haven't learnt how to do that yet :D

AND - I do like Dark Coffee too if that helps :whistle:

Uber crit, seems to be something near the ©.
That's the arm of the sofa, to be honest I cloed it out once, but put it back in again...

Overall, I like it :clap:

Cheers.
Thanks mate :)

It think that's just about right on all counts Dean, (y)
Nice :)
Cheers Chris :)

Hi @Dark Knight ....., that's what I've been trying to do all day......like the lighting on yours...much more even than I managed.......trying to balance / hold reflectors is not easy :(
Thanks Lynne :)

I Just spotted yours on flickr, very nice indeed, (y) I think you are doing yourself down again, tut tut :)

That is brilliant Dean - just enough on the rh side to make out the features and not "flatten" the image. Not easy to get the focus right on a selfie let alone the lighting too - excellent :clap:

That is brilliant Dean - just enough on the rh side to make out the features and not "flatten" the image. Not easy to get the focus right on a selfie let alone the lighting too - excellent :clap:
Cool - Thanks Carl :)

I think I need a new hoodie though, I keep appearing in the same one all the time :D

Spot on subject :)
OCF is something I've not tried yet (something for next year if Santa is kind).
If that's your first attempt at OCF, then that's a fantastic result (if it's your 1000th, it's still great).
Moody yes, but then caffeine addiction deserves a moody shot.

Spot on subject :)
OCF is something I've not tried yet (something for next year if Santa is kind).
If that's your first attempt at OCF, then that's a fantastic result (if it's your 1000th, it's still great).
Moody yes, but then caffeine addiction deserves a moody shot.
Thanks Tim :)

Not my first attempt no, I have tried a couple of times outdoors before with the help of @Slimbert , which gave me a good understanding, this is a first for me portrait wise using my new speedlight, I think this may get very addictive :)

Hi DK, excellent work nicely composed self portrait, the right hand side as we look at it is well lit, just needs a little boost to the left, it of course might be my monitor

but all the details to suggest the theme are there :clap::clap:

Hi DK it looks good to me...I like the moody lighting and the fact that your t shirt matches your mug :D had to smile at your remark about the Hoover, I usually have boxes of tissues, books, and all manner of totally unsuitable objects to hand for balancing lighting on o_O
Excellent choice for the theme and great to see your support for Movember.

Hi DK, excellent work nicely composed self portrait, the right hand side as we look at it is well lit, just needs a little boost to the left, it of course might be my monitor

but all the details to suggest the theme are there :clap::clap:
Thanks Allan, :)

Not sure how you see it on your monitor, on mine the features are just visible :)

Nice job, creative lighting, slightly manic stare. :clap:
Thanks David :)

Hi DK it looks good to me...I like the moody lighting and the fact that your t shirt matches your mug :D
Haaaaaa I hadn't noticed that :LOL:
had to smile at your remark about the Hoover, I usually have boxes of tissues, books, and all manner of totally unsuitable objects to hand for balancing lighting on o_O
You're a nutter too then :D
Excellent choice for the theme and great to see your support for Movember.
Thanks again - glad to be doing my part yes, but VERY keen to get it shaved off , just two weeks to go :pompous:

Super lighting DK! I have tried and failed many times with off camera flash !! Always time to try again!! Perhaps next weeks challenge!!

Great manic eyes !
Thanks Richard :)

Yes the Force to stay open eyes - Caffined look :D

Well done mate, think you got it down pretty good.

it's tough doing OCF selfies, I shoot mine feathered so I can see the results on the lappy.

Keep practicing, it's amazing how quickly it all starts to sink in and how much fun OCF is once you are getting good results. I find it hard NOT to light things now :D

Well done mate, think you got it down pretty good.

it's tough doing OCF selfies, I shoot mine feathered so I can see the results on the lappy.

Keep practicing, it's amazing how quickly it all starts to sink in and how much fun OCF is once you are getting good results. I find it hard NOT to light things now :D
Cheers Brian :)

I can sure tell it is going to be very addictive, my new Speedlight that Mrs DK got me for my birthday last month id splendid :)

I like the idea behind it, and a selfie sometimes doesn't hurt :p
Haaaaaa thanks Nora, not sure about not hurting, I do NOT like being lens side of a camera, just trying to get used to it, not easy :)

And onto this week... a bit of a cop out for me to be honest, not the most exciting of shots, it fits the theme for me so that will do...

I chose a low shot, and deliberately left the base of the tree trunk in the shot, I tried a few without it there and the shot looked too plain... What I do like is the light, I waited 20 minuets to get a bit of sun through the black clouds, I'm hoping it has helped an otherwise bland shot with the colours it brought out of the leaves.

Here we have Wk 47 - the ground 'Covered' in fallen leaves :)

Best viewed LARGE on flickr as usual

Wk 47 - Covered 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here we have Wk 47 - the ground 'Covered' in fallen leaves :)
If you'd have wanted covered, you should have come to mine :D

Good idea Dean, (y) I nearly did similar TBH, then remembered my promise to shoe horn :D

If you'd have wanted covered, you should have come to mine :D

Good idea Dean, (y) I nearly did similar TBH, then remembered my promise to shoe horn :D
Haaaa Thanks Chris !!!

I do have large areas smothered in leaves too, but I preferred the grass poking through :)

What do you do to get rid of yours ?? I run the mower over them to chop/shred and hoover :D

What do you do to get rid of yours ??
Wait for the wind to change direction and blow them over the neighbours fence :D

The annoying thing is I have no trees in my garden and yet year after year its always full of leaves :(

I rake them till I get bored with that, then wait for them to dry out later and leaf vacuum them up

Mine sucks but won't blow (anymore)
Looks like a birthday pressie to me next spring ;)

Had the same thought myself but most of the fallen leaves round here are now pretty much just dull brown, you have got a range of autumn colours in there.

Mine sucks but won't blow (anymore)
Looks like a birthday pressie to me next spring ;)
Sounds like a plan !!!

I'm hoping (if I ever get to move that is) I won't need one in the next place <fingers crossed>

Had the same thought myself but most of the fallen leaves round here are now pretty much just dull brown, you have got a range of autumn colours in there.
Thanks Chris :)

Love the colours on this. The black/dark brown tree trunk actually balances the colourful leaves. Fall is the prettiest season of the year in my opinion... Not the most practical, though :D
Thank you too Nora, I agree on the prettiest season, just pipping the spring blossom's for me :)

I'm hoping (if I ever get to move that is) I won't need one in the next place <fingers crossed>
Still not there yet Dean?
I thought you were sorted?

Back