weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

HI DK. I do like those bottles. Of course side on lighting with shadows thrown against a plain BG would be better but for all that, it's a lovely image for detail, reflections and colour in the bottles.
Thanks Carl :)

Agree with you totally, but lacking time and light (Packed all my lights and props) etc so tried a natural home setting :D

Hi DK, sorry I've not been here for a while.

Religion - I love everything about this shot, the concept behind it, the dof and detail in the tower and especially that sky!
Geometric - Yeah, simple, but effective!
Fashion - bit of a shoehorn to fit the theme, but a great shot. I really struggle with glass, no matter how much I try and practise, but you've got the highlights and reflections spot on as far as I'm concerned!

I like the kitchen environment, the off centeredness, the inclusion of the the corner window bit, the geometrics, perfect horizontals & verticals. (y)

Hi DK, sorry I've not been here for a while.
No worries Elaine :)

Religion - I love everything about this shot, the concept behind it, the dof and detail in the tower and especially that sky!
Thank You :)
Geometric - Yeah, simple, but effective!
That is sure what I went for - Thanks again :)
Fashion - bit of a shoehorn to fit the theme, but a great shot. I really struggle with glass, no matter how much I try and practise, but you've got the highlights and reflections spot on as far as I'm concerned!
Shoehorn... just a bit :D

Hey DK
really like those bottles and the black frame and the tiles. May have been tempted to move them all to the left by a tile and then lose the right hand return - but simple, clean, kind of abstract.
Thanks Alan :)

I did actually do shots with them over one, and it looked odd, as just having the horizontal cutting through thru bottles removed all context and screamed plain background :)

Fashion, BG is an issue for me and a nice clean BG would really work. Belting bottles as well.

Cheers.
Cheers mate, once I move and unpack all my stuff the opportunity will be there again :)

Hi DK ....I normally go for plain backgrounds but I agree with d00d on this one ....it gives them a sense of belonging ...nicely done and on theme too.
YAY !!! Cheers Susie :)

Well quick catch up time... as mentioned elsewhere it was the TP Norfolk Broads meet yesterday, for those that know the meet, it really isn't much about photography, more of chilling on a boat with great company... Well yesterday I had to brake from tradition and get my camera out a bit :D

First up, no better place to chill than on a river in a taught... there were loads out yesterday, but this guy seemed the most relaxed, so here we have week 36 'Chilled'

wk 36 - Chilled by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto my next catch up shot, my main focus was to capture a 'Chilled' image as previous broads meets have not brought the most exciting of photographic opportunities, although the year before last we did see a wild otter... any way, this splendid bird did appear, and I think Brian who had a 600mm likely got a more detailed image, while I with my 24-70 on had to crop somewhat.

I actually do like the end result, as this wonderful wild 'Red Kite' stands out nicely against the clouds :)

So here we have, week 37 re-shoot - Bird of Prey 'Silhouette'

Wk 37 - Re-Shoot Silhouette by TP DK, on Flickr

What a chilled and relax way to enjoy a day out on the water. A nice clean, simple and sharp image.

I like the reshoot too. Some may prefer a closer crop but I like small subject against the big openness of the sky.
Thank you Stan :)

I think you are right there, some will prefer much tighter, but I too like the proportions, the bird was out o n it's own and that in itself probably says something, was looking for ouch maybe :)

Hi DK, nice spot for "chilled though the crop is a little tight at the top, you have just managed to get the top of the mast in needs a little more space maybe

"silhouette" I too like the crop as it is, very nice indeed (y)

Nice bottle shot, great boat photo and a red kite in silhouette.

Come on, who's been using your camera?

:LOL:

Are you still behind?

Fashion - you've managed to get great detail in the bottles against a background that if not ideal, so well done (y)

Chilled - if he was any more laid back he would be in the water :LOL: nicely captured even if you were breaking the rules (along with Yv :ROFLMAO:)

Silhouette - well spotted and taken and a great sense of isolation. We see a lot of birds of prey over here using the heat from the roads to gain lift.

Chilled is excellent DK - portrays the theme ever so well. Nicely set out and exposed to give that great cloud detail.
Reshoot (Silhouette) Lovely tranquil image - beautiful sky and a clear silhouette of a bird of prey.
Well done on both :clap:

Hi DK, nice spot for "chilled though the crop is a little tight at the top, you have just managed to get the top of the mast in needs a little more space maybe
Thanks Allan :)

Well I did crop tight to get the guys face in so the top had to be tight, maybe I should have just cloned that stick bit out :D

"silhouette" I too like the crop as it is, very nice indeed (y)
Thanks again mate :)

Nice bottle shot, great boat photo and a red kite in silhouette.

Come on, who's been using your camera?

:LOL:
Ha Haaaa thanks... cheeky gif :D

Are you still behind?
Yes mate, just a tad, but as I was expecting to be honest, next year will be back to full strength hopefully :)

Chilled is excellent DK - portrays the theme ever so well. Nicely set out and exposed to give that great cloud detail.
Cheers Carl :)
Reshoot (Silhouette) Lovely tranquil image - beautiful sky and a clear silhouette of a bird of prey.
Thanks again :)
Well done on both :clap:
:cool:

My mobile sim is really struggling keeping up with + Quote presses :bang:

Hi again :) smashing shot for Chilled, the chap on the boat looks very laid back, and the whole scene looks totally relaxing.
Thank you Susie :)

I agree about silhouette, it has a real sense of space with the bird soaring effortlessly high in the sky.
:)

Fashion - you've managed to get great detail in the bottles against a background that if not ideal, so well done (y)
Thank you Jill, certainly was a limiting setting :)

Chilled - if he was any more laid back he would be in the water :LOL: nicely captured even if you were breaking the rules (along with Yv :ROFLMAO:)
Haaaaa yes, well to be honest it was @Yv fault leading me astray !!!

Silhouette - well spotted and taken and a great sense of isolation. We see a lot of birds of prey over here using the heat from the roads to gain lift.
Thanks... would be great to see more than one every 10 years :D

Well another theme that I squeezed into last weekends meet...

We go on these broads meets with the thought that nothing will appear that will distract us from our relaxing, camera free cruise, but this year as well as the red kite we were graced with the presence of another couple of birds, we had heard on our 2014 trip that there was some of these about but we didn't see a thing despite looking...

This year we were toddling along on our way back, not far from the boat yard that I heard Brian shout out that he could see two, I was at the time at the helm unable to see what all the commotion was, thankfully I hadn't packed my camera away soil took the drastic decision to leave my post at the controls, grab my camera and rush to the front of the boat and TRY to capture something...

For some reason Brian didn't think that me leaving the boat at full throttle with nobody steering was a wise idea :whistle:

So he ran through and grabbed the controls while I tried to snap rapidly at the two birds darting around, again stuck with my 24-70...

Sadly... my attempts to capture these didn't come out as I hoped, but as promised to @Yv, @Slimbert, @blakester and @mrgubby here are a couple of them.

Wk 38 - Norfolk Broads TP meet, again, after last years Otter, this years Kingfishers leaves me in typical 'Despair' of EVER getting a wild animal shot in focus :D

Wk 38 - Despair 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 38 - Despair 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto this weeks theme...

Pretty simple one from me this week, quick shot taken while taking a break again from packing box's... My initial thoughts are certain parts of the chopsaw are a bit too distracting from the blade and dust, which I was trying to make the main focus of the image, believe it or not the spot focus is on the saw blade where it is coming out of the wood.... but little I tried made much difference, so it is what it is :)

Wk 39 - NOISE !!!

Wk 39 - Noise !!! by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi DK

Chilled yep ... nice relaxed, clean image.

Reshoot silhouette ... big menacing sky ... works well.

Despair ... cool idea. :LOL:

Noise ... yes that's noisy ... but there's room for improvement. :bat:I don't know, perhaps the wood could be better focused, or I guess it's vibrating :thinking: Or maybe a zoom out to reveal the operator in his goggles and earmuffs.

Last edited:
With you on Despair DK - I have the same problem so definitely themed well. Noise - Aw that's such a grating and intrusive noise so well chosen again - maybe a bit of saw dust flying around the blade would have added to the image but it's good anyway.

I see what you maen about the block on the right drawing my attention from the saw blade and flying debris... hard to say what you could have done to avoid this other than light it?

Is it nice to be up to date? :)

Hi DK ...love your idea for Despair ....I have a job spotting a kingfisher let alone getting a photo of one, they're so incredibly quick.

Noise .... My OH has one of those saws and they're very noisy indeed.....I'd like a bit more sawdust but the spinning blade lets us know it's working, in fact I think a tighter crop would work, I like the contrast of the spinning blade against the static wood.

Last edited:
I like the humour for despair (I'm despairing of getting anything on theme!)
Thank you Tim, certainly was disappointing , although in the circumstances I wasn't holding up much hope :(
I think you were brave getting your camera out for the noise shot. All that lovely sawdust. Hmmm. Hope you're weather sealed!
Oooooh yes, fully weathersealed water/dust Phew :D

Hi DK

Chilled yep ... nice relaxed, clean image.
Cheers David :)

Reshoot silhouette ... big menacing sky ... works well.
Thanks again mate :)

Despair ... cool idea. :LOL:
:)

Noise ... yes that's noisy ... but there's room for improvement. :bat:I don't know, perhaps the wood could be better focused, or I guess it's vibrating :thinking: Or maybe a zoom out to reveal the operator in his goggles and earmuffs.
Hmmmmm goggles and earmufs, now that could have been a good idea, IF i hadn't also boxed them up for the move already... took me ages to find a bit of wood that I hadn't tsakern to the tip/recycle centre already :D

Thanks for the suggestions, all certainly would have improved the shot :)

With you on Despair DK - I have the same problem so definitely themed well. Noise - Aw that's such a grating and intrusive noise so well chosen again - maybe a bit of saw dust flying around the blade would have added to the image but it's good anyway.
Cheers Carl, I agree a lot more course dust would have been perfect, trouble is the damn chop saw has such good dust extraction :crying:

Noise, is very orange.
Oooo so it is looking back, the decking is an orange colour, but agree the wb may be out a tad too :thinking:

Not easy to photograph noise but you have done quite well here better than me anyway :(

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I wouldn't say that mate :)

I see what you maen about the block on the right drawing my attention from the saw blade and flying debris... hard to say what you could have done to avoid this other than light it?

Is it nice to be up to date? :)
Cheers Brian, I did dadge it a bit to tone it down, as believe it or not it WAS worse, I should have used my 9" circular saw but would have been hard to use that and trigger the remote and focus :)

As for up to date, I am a couple behind still, but will get them soon hopefully :)

Hi DK ...love your idea for Despair ....I have a job spotting a kingfisher let alone getting a photo of one, they're so incredibly quick.
You aint wrong their they were hell of a fast, much more than I was expecting, first I have seen :)

Noise .... My OH has one of those saws and they're very noisy indeed.....I'd like a bit more sawdust but the spinning blade lets us know it's working, in fact I think a tighter crop would work, I like the contrast of the spinning blade against the static wood.
Thanks again Susie, agree it does need something, will be marking this as a re-shoot candidate I think :)[/QUOTE]

Well I want drag on about my current troubles with BT but get straight into this weeks shot...

This one is quite close to heart, I knew what I was going to do as soon as I saw what it was when I was out yesterday... before I took this I new I had to get the car washed and do some work on the bonnet, as in fact it has been damaged by some ignorant scumbag a$$hole :angry:, thankfully I did manage to buff most of the scratches out, they are still there but now very feint, and will hopefully be less noticeable over the next few months If I keep trying to polish and re-shine the bonnet...

Here we have Wk 40 'ENVY'

Wk 40 - ENVY by TP DK, on Flickr

That's a nasty thing to do and obviously by someone motivated by Envy. (Lovely car). Nicely taken DK and like the bit of PP to create that realistic scratch in the paintwork.

What a brilliant take ... lovely clean shiny Merc ... of course they normally go for the door with more discretion, but that wouldn't have the same photo impact. :clap:

Great take and nniicceee car :)

Well composed and exposed.

I've had my car scratched own the side and I wish I'd found the mother ******* even though I drive a Lupo :jawdrop:

Cheers.

It's a great idea and spot on for the theme and I know you don't have the budget to do this for real but I have to be honest and say that I'm not convinced by this, at all. To me it looks like a concept shot rather than a finished assignment. Sorry, I'm on a bit of a negative with everything this week...

Maybe a trip to the scrap yard to really scratch a car followed and a bit of copy/paste/clone etc. would have got a better result?

Last edited:
That's a nasty thing to do and obviously by someone motivated by Envy. (Lovely car). Nicely taken DK and like the bit of PP to create that realistic scratch in the paintwork.
Thank you Carl, it's not a great scratch but sure is enough for me at the moment :)

What a brilliant take ... lovely clean shiny Merc ... of course they normally go for the door with more discretion, but that wouldn't have the same photo impact. :clap:
That's what I thought David, but some reason they did scratch the bonnet, must have been when I was parked up somewhere - Thanks for the great feedback :)

Great take and nniicceee car :)

Well composed and exposed.

I've had my car scratched own the side and I wish I'd found the mother ******* even though I drive a Lupo :jawdrop:

Cheers.
Thank Andy :) for me It doesn't matter what we drive or have it's taking the pee for anybody to damage somebody else s property, nobody just gives us this stuff, we all work our nuts off to do/get what we want !!!

Wow it looks as if you worked hard on the polishing there DK, a really super shiny shot and of course perfect for the theme :clap:
Thank you Susie :)

Well the local 'hand wash' did the wash bit, I just tried de-scratching and re-polishing the car ... damn it was a work out for a pen pusher like me :D

Works well, the tight angle helps.There's something brown under the radiator gill which is catching my though.
OOOppppps that be a leaf, didn't see that :D

It's a great idea and spot on for the theme and I know you don't have the budget to do this for real but I have to be honest and say that I'm not convinced by this, at all. To me it looks like a concept shot rather than a finished assignment. Sorry, I'm on a bit of a negative with everything this week...

Maybe a trip to the scrap yard to really scratch a car followed and a bit of copy/paste/clone etc. would have got a better result?
Blimey you fussy fcuker :D... well yes mate it likely could, but to be honest not got the time for that, I wish I had, this time next year I will hopefully, but at the moment - can't be bolloxed to be truthful :)

Show off [emoji2][emoji324]
lol :mooning:

Another hectic weekend with a family wedding taking up all of yesterday, and a business trip mid week time is tight - but still doing my best to keep up'ish... so here is my effort for this weeks theme

I think I did something similar a couple of years ago, but with time tight/needs must here is my first submission for the week :)

Wk 41 - it's an upside-down world... 'Inverse'

Wk 41 - Inverse by TP DK, on Flickr

Back