weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Well someone had to do the washing up :p
latest

Hi Dean I like it, it certainly works well, a little more light around the fingers maybe?

I like the 1st of your static pictures.
Thanks Michael :)

The fingers are spread a bit more than I originally wanted too, didn't notice at the time :)

Like that, excellent lighting. the low key and B&W work well too.
Thank you Stan

Static#2 for me Dean. Definitely one for the wall.
Thank you VERY much :) :)

Game, what can I say, great minds and all that but your's I think is better. Love that less is more effect, very sensual (y)
Thanks Jill... but is it great or warped minds :D
Nah, we just suffer for our artistic integrity :p. After all I finally had to untie him :whistle: :angelic:
Hahaaaa bet he was gutted :LOL:

Great low key photo and great lighting. And B&W works well too.

But what are you all up to in you spare time :cautious:
Thank you :)

But when I'm busy if it was because of shooting like this I'd never stop :whistle:

Now that is a terrific shot Dean. I particularly like the shadows cast in and around the shoulder blades which accentuates the soft gentle contours of the body and equally, the nice highlight on the rope. Brilliant.
Cool - Thank you Carl :cool:

That bit there :D
Oi you :D

Great shot Dean, love the lighting in this and just the right amount of detail :).
Cheers Nigel :)

Well someone had to do the washing up :p
Should have a a dish brush in the image too :D

Really good job on the lighting and a great composition excellent work :clap:

top marks to Mrs DK too for going along with your twisted idea

Really good job on the lighting and a great composition excellent work :clap:
Thank you Allan :)

top marks to Mrs DK too for going along with your twisted idea
Agreed, although she didn't take much persuading :naughty:

Bloody 'eck, there's all at it :)

Nice one, mate, nice and seedy processing.
Glad you think so mate, thanks :)

I'm no lighting expert but I like the shadows on the shoulder blades.

Cheers.
I wouldn't say that mate with your OCF Skills, but thanks anyway :) :)

I think someone has hijacked the 52 threads all these images of naked flesh!!

Very nice image Dean love the lighting.

Static's a beaut ... #1 top treatment. (y)

Game ... nice work ... I think a less light on the legs & bum would add arty subtlety. But hey, what do I know about these things. I bought a speedlight & triggers last year, haven't used it yet.

I think someone has hijacked the 52 threads all these images of naked flesh!!

Very nice image Dean love the lighting.
Hahaaaa thanks Mark :)

Static's a beaut ... #1 top treatment. (y)
Cheers dOOd :)

Game ... nice work ... I think a less light on the legs & bum would add arty subtlety. But hey, what do I know about these things. I bought a speedlight & triggers last year, haven't used it yet.
Hmmmm I see what you mean, nice idea David, thanks (y)

Well, well now I can see where the name come from Dark or what ! Fantastic lighting Dean !
Hahaaaaa Thanks Chris :)

Static. Is #1 a re-edit of #3? I do like the long exposure but #1 is the winner imo, it's just so unusual.
They are all different shots, although may be from the same spot, I tried different filters and exposures each time to see what effect I could get :)
Game. Taking lessons from Jill eh DK? It works well in Low Key, and would have been NSFW if it wasn't :clap:
Yeah that Jill hey hahaaaaa !!! - Thank you :)

And so to this week...

A nice busy week again but had some time put aside for my shot, for this week I wanted to pop down the road and find a particular mill, I have seen this mill on one photo, and I have been meaning to find it as one day (while the weather is good) as I'd like to get a misty sunrise at this location.

Anyway, for this week I thought it would suit well for the theme as it is very quite apart from the quite sound of bees, grasshoppers and birds, and today a the nice sound of wind in the reeds.

I took a lot of shots of different time lengths, I really wanted some movement in the reeds, but with too long exposure the movement in the reeds and clouds was great, but it all overpowered the image for me, so I have gone with a shot with only a small bit of movement (Lee Little Stopper & .6 Hard ND grad)

The other main element I was after was the wind blowing the reeds out of the way enough to expose the mills reflection in the water, it's not perfect but is just enough I feel.

One thing that does bug me is the mills lean, the horizon is dead on but the mill is close to collapse so is leaning, I guess it adds to the image but I also feel it makes the shot slew a tad, but hey all in all I'm pleased with the image and the new location - thanks for looking and even more thanks if you have read this far through all the drivel :)

Wk 34 - Serene

Wk 34 - Serene by TP DK, on Flickr

Cracking scene, and a nice Kodachrome effect Dean :)

Great composition and great colours, but I'm not so sure about the blurry reeds in the foreground. But I guess that's the price you have to pay when taking a long exposure photo of "nature"...

That's a lovely scene and what a great rundown windmill, particularly what is left of the windmill sale. I don't mind the lean on the building as it is so obvious that it is rundown and I like the movement that you have on the reeds. If I was being really picky I'm not sure if the greens in the bottom right are slightly to bright/saturated and draw my eye away a bit.

That windmill has got real character.

I'm a big fan of moving grass/reeds so works well with me. Would have looked serener as a long exposure with the clouds streaking by :)

Cheers.

Very nice scene, love that ruined windmill and the movement of the grass in the foreground
Cheers Allan :)

Good composition, I like the way the river leads off into the distance.
Thank you Chris - I did walk up and down a bit to find the right spot, and I did prefer this with the river bending around a corner rather than strait out of the frame :)

Great composition and great colours, but I'm not so sure about the blurry reeds in the foreground. But I guess that's the price you have to pay when taking a long exposure photo of "nature"...
Thanks brnd, I do have several with fast shutter speeds, I'll try and put one up before the end of the week, for me it was a too 'quick' moment in time, where the serenity I was trying to capture was the silence in time and movement :)

That windmill has got real character.

I'm a big fan of moving grass/reeds so works well with me. Would have looked serener as a long exposure with the clouds streaking by :)

Cheers.
Cheers Andy, I hope I have kept one I did... I'll have a look (I have been getting cut throat with my rejects lately, including going back on old files and deleting thousands lately :):)

I have been getting cut throat with my rejects lately, including going back on old files and deleting thousands lately :)
I like to keep a few just to check that I have actually improved :D

extra ordinary DK

fantastic broken windmill ... and you and your stopper equate masterful results.(y)

Ditto, seems to get easier the more I do it.

Cheers.
Sort of easy, I'm still a tad decisive at times, keep a couple 'Just in Case, I will have to go through them all again one day :bang:

I like to keep a few just to check that I have actually improved :D
Hahaaaaaa now, not saying a word :naughty:

Great picture, lovely sky excellent composition, and river scenes are always serene.
Thank you Clive :)

extra ordinary DK

fantastic broken windmill ... and you and your stopper equate masterful results.(y)
Damn... and Cool - Thank you very much David :)

Excellent Serene shot DK ...I read all your explanation :) and you've definitely achieved all that you wanted.

Superb shot for Game, I love the light on the shoulders and through the fingers, but I do agree with d00d, I think it works without the extra light at the (on the) bottom !!

Lovely scene Dean, and colour.
I have to admit the reed movement in the foreground sort of makes my eyes dizzy, but I can see why you went that direction. :)

Some great colours in there DK, and a well captured shot of the derelict windmill.
Viewed close up on flickr you can see great detail in the walls.
I'm glad you didn't go for a longer exposure, I like the detail in the clouds.

Super landscape Dean - what a great subject that windmill is. Excellent composition and the exposure to get that movement in the fg is first class.

Excellent Serene shot DK ...I read all your explanation :) and you've definitely achieved all that you wanted.
Thank you Susie :)

Superb shot for Game, I love the light on the shoulders and through the fingers, but I do agree with d00d, I think it works without the extra light at the (on the) bottom !!
Agreed... thank you :)

Fab shot for Serene Dean. One for the wall methinks :clap::clap:
Oooo thank you Jill :)

Lovely scene Dean, and colour.
I have to admit the reed movement in the foreground sort of makes my eyes dizzy, but I can see why you went that direction. :)
Thank you Ruth, I like making people dizzy :D

Some great colours in there DK, and a well captured shot of the derelict windmill.
Cheers Tim :)
Viewed close up on flickr you can see great detail in the walls.
I'm glad you didn't go for a longer exposure, I like the detail in the clouds.
Thanks again, pleased you looked so close :)

Super landscape Dean - what a great subject that windmill is. Excellent composition and the exposure to get that movement in the fg is first class.
Nice one, thanks a lot :)

What a great subject - the lean doesn't detract at all for me. I love the composition and colours, the blurred reeds are something I would never have thought of in a shot like this. Did your longer exposure bring out more movement in the grass and reeds further back as well as the clouds? I think that would be interesting to see. A beautiful thought provoking shot :)

Edit - I've just realised that I haven't commented on your previous two weeks either - the danger of checking out and enjoying everyone's submissions when too busy to comment! Wow - both of them! It's so hard to pick a favourite from static, they are all so different and creative. I think it might be 3...or 4...or... Great stuff.

Game is definitely my fave from all these entries. I Iove the low key lighting - it must be so hard to get exactly as you want it. The shadows on the shoulder blades are just perfect :clap:

Last edited:
What a great subject - the lean doesn't detract at all for me. I love the composition and colours, the blurred reeds are something I would never have thought of in a shot like this. Did your longer exposure bring out more movement in the grass and reeds further back as well as the clouds? I think that would be interesting to see. A beautiful thought provoking shot :)
Thank you Emma :)

Well... it did a tad yes, here is the longest one that was stable enough on the mill (It was VERY windy and the wind was shaking the camera, despite me having my bag hanging from the tripod and me pulling it into the ground too)...

Here is a 13 second exposure - no tweaks to brightness, I think it needs brightening here and there, but if you zoom in it does have reeds and trees moving in the background too, just :)

For me it is not quite long enough, I think 30 seconds minimum was needed for the clouds to be effective :)

13 second exposure by TP DK, on Flickr

Edit - I've just realised that I haven't commented on your previous two weeks either - the danger of checking out and enjoying everyone's submissions when too busy to comment! Wow - both of them! It's so hard to pick a favourite from static, they are all so different and creative. I think it might be 3...or 4...or... Great stuff.
thanks Em, agree way too easy to get behind on comments, thank you again :)

Game is definitely my fave from all these entries. I Iove the low key lighting - it must be so hard to get exactly as you want it. The shadows on the shoulder blades are just perfect :clap:
Cool - thank you :) :)

Last edited:
And for this week I decided to have a go at off camera flash again, Shot with one snooted speed light to the side, a reflector behind and a LED light to the front for catch lights... I wanted a second Speedlight for highlighting the hair from behind or maybe fill flash, but for some reason I could not get it to work as a slave and be triggered by the other flash....

Anyway happy'ish with the results, deliberately a dark shot, I would have preferred not quite so strong shadows but hey we can't have it all can we, I still had fun messin :)

Wk 35 - Black and White

Wk 35 Black and White.jpg by TP DK, on Flickr

Flippin' speedlights, never seem to trigger when you want them to. I think you summed it up, a little more detail especially on the face would have been good but good noir feel to it

Very foreboding and mysterious.
Thank you Shirley :)

Flippin' speedlights, never seem to trigger when you want them to. I think you summed it up, a little more detail especially on the face would have been good but good noir feel to it
Haaaa you aint kidding, , I have triggers, but now using my new radio transmitter that doesn't like to play with the older units, typical... thanks for the comments Chris :)

Back