weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Three very good shots there Emma No 2 for me love the bright contrasting colours

Horizontal - all 3 are great finds for the theme but I like the first one best. I like the contrast between the bright lichen and darkness of the gaps

1st one for me too Emma, the lichen really sets the slats off.
Nice colour and textures.

Hi Emma

Some nice images there. Technology is a good spot. It might just be the relative exposure on his face but he does look a touch soft (photographically that is - I'm not commenting on his character! :)) But the engagement between him and the thingy is great and it's a super spot.

I like all three for horizontal. The image I find more interesting of the tank with coloured "patches" is probably least on theme as there are verticals and all sorts there, but as an image it's rather appealing. The other two are good too... I can see why you struggled to pick one :)

Effort - What a lovely, fun picture! :) I really like it. All the movements in there complement one another and no one is doing anything wrong or out of place to spoil the picture. It’s perfect! :)

Technology - Lots of nice shots there. :) My favourite is the first one. I love the expression on your boy’s face and the reflected blue light on it.

Horizontal - Wow, I like them all! I think I’d go with the first one mainly because it’s landscape. Just seems more apt to have a landscape orientation for a horizontal theme! :p The lichen is a really interesting subject. I don’t think I’ve actually seen yellow ones before! I really like the colours on the second one, too.

#1 for me too .. simple but strong colour & texture. (y)

Some excellent images there for the last two themes, Emma (y) I really like the expression of wonder on his face in the first one for Technology, which suits the theme perfectly. All your images for Horizontal are well spotted and fit the theme perfectly. It's a toss up for me between the first two. The variety of bright colours in the second one is eye-catching, but I think the first one probably shouts the theme best with those strong horizontal lines and the bright lichen.

Hi, 3 good shots I prefer the 3rd one I think, but the first one with the lichen works well too

Water tank without hesitation for me Emma. Love the patchwork and colours and rivets all make it an interesting abstract. :clap:
Thank you Carl - it is interesting...keeps pulling me back :)

Number one for me Emma - love the simplicity of this one although they are all very good and bang on theme:clap:
Thanks Liz - it was definitely a different composition for me - glad you liked it.

Hi Emma,
Technology - Excellent shot, nice reflected light on your son's face and a good deliberate tight crop.
Of the other shots, I really like Magnetic Earth for the expression on his face.
Horizontal - I would say my favourite is the second shot. Technically perhaps not as horizontal as the first, but it really messes with my head with all the angles and colours. (y)
Thanks Tim - glad you like them!

Water tank for me, too. Definitely the best of the bunch, though I do like the steps also (and the fact that I had to wonder what it was to begin with!).

Needs a little boost colour wise for my taste, but definitely the tank.
Thanks Ian - I tried a colour boost on the tank...but didn't quite work for me...too tame obviously! The lichen covered wood was slats on the front of a grain store - I had never even noticed them before...thank goodness for the 52;) !

Three good shots for horizontal, I like the first personally, love the colour of the lichen, well seen
Thanks Chris - that yellow is quite amazing :)

Ooo Emma... tough choice indeed !!!

I too like the bright coloured corrugated metal, but for me the moss covered louvers have it by miles, I love the simplicity of it, very minimalistic, spot on composition too :clap:

Hi, 3 good shots I prefer the 3rd one I think, but the first one with the lichen works well too

Thank you both - I think I like the first best, too - interesting that you like the third best Allan. I took more shots of that than anything else, but I'm not so sure about it now!

Last edited:
Three nice shots there well taken:)

Love these three! Fist one has it for me - good colours and lovely simple composition! Well spotted!

Three very good shots there Emma No 2 for me love the bright contrasting colours

Horizontal - all 3 are great finds for the theme but I like the first one best. I like the contrast between the bright lichen and darkness of the gaps

I think it's # 1 for me too Emma, although #2 is definitely very close behind ...all perfect for the theme.

1st one for me too Emma, the lichen really sets the slats off.
Nice colour and textures.

Prefer the first, spot on theme and the lichen adds interest.

Effort - What a lovely, fun picture! :) I really like it. All the movements in there complement one another and no one is doing anything wrong or out of place to spoil the picture. It’s perfect! :)

Technology - Lots of nice shots there. :) My favourite is the first one. I love the expression on your boy’s face and the reflected blue light on it.

Horizontal - Wow, I like them all! I think I’d go with the first one mainly because it’s landscape. Just seems more apt to have a landscape orientation for a horizontal theme! :p The lichen is a really interesting subject. I don’t think I’ve actually seen yellow ones before! I really like the colours on the second one, too.

#1 for me too .. simple but strong colour & texture. (y)

Some excellent images there for the last two themes, Emma (y) I really like the expression of wonder on his face in the first one for Technology, which suits the theme perfectly. All your images for Horizontal are well spotted and fit the theme perfectly. It's a toss up for me between the first two. The variety of bright colours in the second one is eye-catching, but I think the first one probably shouts the theme best with those strong horizontal lines and the bright lichen.

Thank you everyone - so good to hear everyone's different opinions on the shots :)

Hi Emma

Some nice images there. Technology is a good spot. It might just be the relative exposure on his face but he does look a touch soft (photographically that is - I'm not commenting on his character! :)) But the engagement between him and the thingy is great and it's a super spot.

I like all three for horizontal. The image I find more interesting of the tank with coloured "patches" is probably least on theme as there are verticals and all sorts there, but as an image it's rather appealing. The other two are good too... I can see why you struggled to pick one :)
Thanks Paul. I was surprised to get his face as sharp as it was - the light was incredibly low in that section of the museum and I didn't want to use flash. And asking a six year old to stay still whilst being wowed by amazing lights...! Oh well - the limitations of my little d3200.. ;)

What an amazing morning . I got up early to travel to a popular bluebell wood about half an hour away, but having got lost once in the car and once on foot didn't really get shooting 'til 8. I used my kit lens (my widest) to try and capture some 'vast' scenes, but ended up taking the ones I liked best on my 105 Sigma after swapping to do some close ups. Unfortunately, I was such a kid in a sweet shop that I'm not sure any of my photos do the scene justice. I think I'll be back next weekend, weather allowing. Anyway...there were VAST amounts of bluebells there...not too much of a shoehorn, I hope?!

bluebell heaven by Em Jay, on Flickr

Last edited:
Beautiful Emma. Forgot they would be out now - must make a trip myself. If a large number of golden daffodils can be described as "a host" then surely bluebells can be "a vast" ... so spot on theme I say. :clap:

no shoehorn at all, vast amount of bluebells and a nice scene kind of sums up spring

Hi Emma,

Nnot a shoehorn for me, a display of bluebells like that is an amazing sight, I've never felt I've been able to do a large area of bluebells justice in a photo but you have captured them very well. Only a small critique but unusually for me I find myself wanting a bit more DOF in this shot though.

Lovely scene Emma and certainly a vast array of bluebells

Lovely scene, I do love these, we had our fix last week, a gorgeous time of year indeed, :)
Thanks Walter - they are an amazing sight for sure.

no shoehorn at all, vast amount of bluebells and a nice scene kind of sums up spring
Thanks Allan - it feels really exciting to see flowers and insects around at last :)

Really like that Emma some lovely light too
Thanks Chris - I should have been a little earlier, but it was just low enough.

Great shot, I must go and capture our local bluebells.
Thank you - it's definitely worth getting out for!

Hi Emma, that's a very pretty scene and you've captured it well. It's on theme enough for me :)
Thanks Paul :)

Hi Emma,

Nnot a shoehorn for me, a display of bluebells like that is an amazing sight, I've never felt I've been able to do a large area of bluebells justice in a photo but you have captured them very well. Only a small critique but unusually for me I find myself wanting a bit more DOF in this shot though.
Thanks Steve. I know what you mean about doing them justice - I'm still not sure I have. I see what you mean about the depth of field. Using my 105mm lens for landscapes was something I hadn't done before and it felt very different. I do like the softness in the trees at the back, but more sharpness on the bluebells at the front would have been better.

Lovely scene Emma and certainly a vast array of bluebells
Thanks Cobra :)

Super shot Emma ...I love bluebell woods and must get out soon to one ...really nicely done, super POV with the mossy stone and the trees in the background.
Thank Susie. It was a tree trunk in the foreground - there were several of them scattered about. They would make great subjects on their own.

Horizontal, for me Emma. Perfect exposure and so much detail.

Vast is beautiful Emma. not a lot else to say

Last edited:
Horizontal, for me Emma. Perfect exposure and so much detail.

Vast is beautiful Emma. not a lot else to say

Thanks Lee - glad you like them.

Nice light and wonderful colours...pity you didn't have a wider lens to add to the vastness.

Cheers.
It really is - I just wasn't happy with the ones shot with the kit lens and since face planting my 35mm onto the shingle... :(

Beautiful colours and light in them woods Emma, the tree stump adds a nice break to the image but doesn't assist the vastness, love the image though :)
You're right DK, it doesn't. But I liked it anyway :p ;) Thank you! :)

Not a shoehorn to me, Emma, that really is a vast array of Bluebells. Lovely light and contrasting colours in the foreground, and I like the contrast in heights between the tree stump and flowers and the tall trees behind them, too.
Thanks Andrea - lovely comments :)

Vast - super shot I love the vibrant colour of the blue bells

If I can get away with a picture of a lego Ferrari for Vast, then a shed load of Bluebells is a rigt shoe in ;)
I liked that shot immediately I saw it. Great vibrancy in the colours.

Lovely colour shot and well captured. Like the inclusion of the wood stump with contrasting colour green against the blue.

Vast - super shot I love the vibrant colour of the blue bells
Thank you!

I found it a bit 'rough' thinking of ideas that enthused me this week. Leaving it 'til tonight probably wasn't the best move - I'm feeling super tired and not even sure my eyes are focussing! But I was determined not to miss a week (my daughter always said I was stubborn :whistle: ) - so here it is. This is something I've wanted to try for a while, but only had about half an hour to play with it tonight. A hole cut in card with a reading lamp softened by translucent reflector behind and another reading lamp to the right - very high tech ;) It's one to revisit I think with a different subject.

kiwi fruit small.jpg

Back