weekly FlyPhot's 52 for 2019 Thread - Week 52 'Out-Take (and finished)' Added

Clean....a different angle maybe showing the writing would work better but I do like the idea

New - Nice one with the 10 stop. Well composed and a great mono conversion.
Clean - Good take on the theme. Love the small starburst. Id really love to be able to read the writing on the whistle but understand why you have taken it at the angle you have. Nice one.

Week 3 Open a can of worms ...

Open a Can Of Worms

My first real attempt at using off camera flash - I used 2 speedlights, remotely triggered, behind white brollies.

Last edited:
Awesome image Jim, very good indeed!
I came this close...**places finger and thumb really close together** to doing this shot....even thought about going to a local fishing bait suppliers to buy some worms!!:D
Really glad I didn't....now way would it have been as good as this....you nailed it!
Great focus front to back, and lovely, crispy detail in the worms....perhaps crispy isn't the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean!!:D
Great background colour and may I ask...did you already have tin or did you make it?
Or did the worms come in that tin? They're mealworms right?
Just curious....I was going to make a label had I have done this!

Anyway, great image, very nice work Jim.(y)

Awesome image Jim, very good indeed!
I came this close...**places finger and thumb really close together** to doing this shot....even thought about going to a local fishing bait suppliers to buy some worms!!:D
Really glad I didn't....now way would it have been as good as this....you nailed it!
Great focus front to back, and lovely, crispy detail in the worms....perhaps crispy isn't the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean!!:D
Great background colour and may I ask...did you already have tin or did you make it?
Or did the worms come in that tin? They're mealworms right?
Just curious....I was going to make a label had I have done this!

Anyway, great image, very nice work Jim.(y)

wow! Thanks for the great feedback. I'm pleased with how it came out, as it is my first real try out at a 'still life' using more than one off camera flash.

I made the label (found the image on the net and stuck it to a coconut milk tin :D ), and yes they are mealworms - I bought them specifically for this image, the local birds will be pleased.

Great shot Jim (my idea for a tin of beans is out the window now though!!) Oh, well, first come first served!
Just a niggle with the crop cutting the head/tail off the worm at the bottom.

Great shot Jim (my idea for a tin of beans is out the window now though!!) Oh, well, first come first served!
Just a niggle with the crop cutting the head/tail off the worm at the bottom.

Thanks for the feedback, worm now fixed ;)

Was so close to doing something very similar.

Well done Jim. A nice clean shot there

My niece's ex, who's Nigerian, used to buy those and fry em up! Also ate dried bugs!

Yuk.... to the mealworms but great image. Sure the birds will have eaten them now. The starlings tend to have most of ours when we put them out. Nice bright image with good focus. Well done for making the label it looks very professional.

Hi Jim

New, nice moody image, as others have said, I like the motion in the cloud. Where was that shot taken?

Clean, what can be said, it's all good.

Open, lucky you had that can of worms to open, nice lighting and good on you for using off camera flash for the first time.

Pete

Hi Jim

New, nice moody image, as others have said, I like the motion in the cloud. Where was that shot taken?

Clean, what can be said, it's all good.

Open, lucky you had that can of worms to open, nice lighting and good on you for using off camera flash for the first time.

Pete

Thanks for the great feedback. the seascape is at a place called Bucksmills Beach, in North Devon. It's a gorgeous little beach that reveals sand when the tide goes out a bit further than in that image.

Open
Looks great. Good lighting (no harsh shadows or bright highlights), good idea.

What can I say, Jim? Great idea, really good work to get your props and make the label, and although the worms are yukky it's good to know that they have been put to good use. The contrasting background colour serves to really make the subject pop, too. Excellent job :clap:

Distant (both of them!) IMG_20190124_131203.jpeg

A good effort but rushed ? You cut off the people in the BG and cut the dish on the table plus your JR has no room to look out in to.

I'll be honest, it's a mobile phone shot, hence the tall crop. Points taken - I may revisit over the weekend ;)

I think the idea is spot on but, as mentioned, it needs cropping differently. Also the chair behind the dog's muzzle is distracting. But certainly worth a reshoot!!

Second image for this theme. Distant memories... 20171021_163336.jpeg

I like both images Jim.
The first image is a great concept, and nice light and exposure.
The expressions are perfect for the theme.
The second image is very good indeed!
Terrific use of broad DoF to keep the fore/background in focus.
Leading lines works very well in this composition, and a thoughtful, poignant subject/story.
(y)

I like both as said with the 1st the crop maybe not the best but definitely worth another take.
the graveyard works brilliantly IMO and is a really nice take on it.

Unless your name is Jared, there is no reason to be afraid of a little cropping.
The the JR shot for me, and you could answer all of Dave's points by doing a deliberate tight square crop, removing distractions, deliberately cutting in and giving the JR space to look out into.

I like both as said with the 1st the crop maybe not the best but definitely worth another take.
the graveyard works brilliantly IMO and is a really nice take on it.
Cheers.

The graveyard is an American war cemetery in Normandy. My thought was Distant Memory along with being Distant from loved ones.

Nice looking pooch! Distant Squirrel?

New - great seascape and long exposure.
Clean - perhaps change the angle to a little more oblique to show off the subject better.
Open - really clever take on the theme
Distant - love the expressions on both your subjects.

Nice looking pooch! Distant Squirrel?
If there were a distant squirrel, there would be no dog in the image, and a surprised look on the wife's face!

OK, so taking all of the fantstic constructive criticism, i've spent some time working on this image and here is the final result - much better IMHO ...

Distant

Back