Garry’s 52 for 2019

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a late start

Week1: New camera
full

Thanks Dave, I’m on my iPad so was trying to figure it out for ages.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Garry, welcome to the 52. It's a great way to get to know your new camera and you're off to a good start with those three images. That last one in particular works well with the shallow depth of field.

If you link to this thread from the main 'Images only' thread using the info Dave has posted above then more people will be able to find your thread. If you have any difficulties ask in the 52 discussion thread and someone will be able to help you (y)

Thanks Andrea, I’ll be sure to link the rest of my photos. It’s nice to have a weekly challenge to get the creative juices flowing.

Welcome to TP and welcome to the 52 Garry.:welcome:
A great start indeed, three very strong images.

NEW: great use of natural light, good composition and very nice contrast and textures in the table.
CLEAN: superb colours and I really like the symmetry...the tile in the pools really make this image stand out, nice work!
OPEN: I love this image! Such amazing colours and textures, brilliant composition and a great story too! Excellent!
(y)

Thanks Gareth, it’s nice to put my pictures somewhere other than Instagram.

Also thanks for the feedback, I’m looking forward to the rest of the years challenges.

Hi Garry,
I see Dave & Andrea have already pointed you at the link "how-to", it is important to do that as it allow people to easily click through and comment :)

New - An A7 eh? A new toy to use for the 52, always a good way to start.
Quite a range of light to dark, resulting in the detail in the shadows being lost. Any way to bring it back in post?
Or is that exactly the effect you were going for to give it a moody look.

Clean - Lovely shot, liking the colours, the reflections and the lead in to the Temple (?) itself.
Where is it?

Open - Great find and clever interpretation of the theme.
My critique on this would be to ask if you need the sky (nice as the blue is) as there are some OOF intrusions on the edges that you could lose with a tighter crop. Worth playing with?
Oh, and your horizon isn't horizontal.

Great start to the 52 and I am really liking the colours you're pulling out in the images (y)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your feedback. For the first one I had played around with the shadows to bring out more detail but preferred the more moody look.

The second shot ‘clean’ is in Boa Vista in Cape Verde. It’s the hotel resort which I think is trying to give the impression of being in a traditional North African country.

I see what you mean about the sky and in retrospect I think cropping it out would look better. And the horizon is a big oversight too, that’s normally the first thing I look at.

Thanks again

Hi Garry,
A great trio to start your 52.
New - Wasn't sure to start but the more I looked at it, the more I like it. Great use of natural light but I think a little more is needed to light the front of the camera as I find it a touch dark.
Clean - What a beautiful location. Looks very warm and inviting. The tiles really show off the clean water.
Open - A cracking shot of the can. I like the amount of sky as, for me, the blue sky balances the yellow sand (y)

Hi Garry

New, Lucky Boy, I like the lighting used, a nice image.

Clean, Lots of detail in the Image gary, colours captured very well. Works for me.

Open, not the expected can shot, but I like it. A much tighter crop also works. Plenty of detail in the rust. Nice one.

Pete

Distant-Why am I not surprised? ;)
When I saw the theme this week, I almost hoped I got called off standby :)
Nice shot, just a tad blue perhaps? I like the framing and the perspective.

Distant-Why am I not surprised? ;)
When I saw the theme this week, I almost hoped I got called off standby :)
Nice shot, just a tad blue perhaps? I like the framing and the perspective.

I couldn’t resist it mate, maybe I should’ve thought outside the box a little. I know what you mean about the blue, I’ll mess around with the WB and see what I get.

Okayyyy, so that's a shot that I suspect won't get repeated by anyone else on the 52.
As Ian & Bob say, it's good to have the framing for the view and it has come out really nicely.

Thanks Tim, I’ve got a running theme at the moment of these style of pictures with different views out of the window.

Perspective and framing.. Great shot!

like the controls in the image, gives it perspective.

Thanks guys

That's a clever and original idea for this theme, Garry. The blue could possibly be toned down a touch, but you were absolutely right to leave the instrument panel in shot to frame the view and convey the sense of distance in more than one way. One of my favourite images for this theme (y)

Great shot for Distant Garry, love it!

You've certainly got a fabulous viewpoint there Garry, are you piloting the plane? perfect for the theme.
The image certainly fits the theme. It looks like two shots photoshop merged together to me. You must've internet connection while in the plane to know the theme and captured the shot so quickly. Apologise if I'm totally wrong.
Blimey!
What a great image!
I like the inclusion of the 'dash' too....gives it a great story!
Excellent work Garry!(y)
Garry it must a fabulous position to be in to see such fantastic sights most of us would never get the opportunity. Great composition as well !
That's a clever and original idea for this theme, Garry. The blue could possibly be toned down a touch, but you were absolutely right to leave the instrument panel in shot to frame the view and convey the sense of distance in more than one way. One of my favourite images for this theme (y)
Great shot for Distant Garry, love it!
very nice beautiful scene and great take on the theme.
Wow, love it. The inclusion of the out of focus foreground adds good context as well.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. As it’s my job aviation seems to be my main focus when it comes to photography so I’m trying not to post too much of it.....that said I couldn’t resist it for Distant. It was shot over the Alps on the way into Turin.

Hi Garry,

Open - Like the colours of the can, thats been corroding for a while! And you got the detail of the sand grains around it.
Distant - Wow thats impressive, great shot, I like the framing of the scene with the plane interior.
Cold - Like the reflections, image suits Mono.

Great shots!

Back