weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

The bicycle tyre is a nice idea ... hmmm maybe a crop off the bottom might improve it.

The thatched cottage, red mini and big Autumnal tree makes for an attractive image.

Worn? That looks barely used compared to some of the tyres I ran as a kid.
Like your thinking, hating the white vignette.

Colour - works because of the reds in the shot. Shame about the mini. Can't be helped though.

Colourful
If only we could control the weather and bring the sun out when we want to.
The red mini does help to balance the tree.

Hi John, yet another catch-up from me as I've just got up to date again on my own thread.

Well done for taking and posting pictures from your holiday! I took loads but only posted one for my 52, hence getting behind again. Both Bent and Wood are perfect for the respective themes and illustrate them well (y)
I like both images for Wall but if pushed I would pick the church wall as I like the leading line, the textures and even the moss on the top.
Symmetrical is an unusual choice for the subject and you struggled with the light, but I sympathise because I find indoor table-top photography quite a challenge.
That tyre is perfect for Worn and the focus point brings your eye straight to the bald surface, and while I don't think the vignette is needed it minimises any distractions around the edges.
Colourful - what a lovely tree, and then an extra splash of colour from the red mini. A lovely scene, and the tree would make a good subject for 'Height', too :D

Last edited:
Week 45 Height

tp45-1020213
by granddad john on Talk Photography

.....then I went round the side and thought there's a really symmetrical window:) but then got it back and found it wasn't :mad: so it's become my reshoot for arch:D Really must look at the shot before I press the shutter:banghead:

tp45-1020215
by granddad john on Talk Photography Reshoot Arch

Last edited:
The window is a good shot for arch as is the angle which you have taken the church tower at for height, both work for me

Height - Plenty of detail and even the sky was playing ball to some extent :)

Re-shoot : Arch - Again, plenty of sharp detail, and bang on theme.
A possible target for perspective correction though? It's evident that the shot was taken from below.
(That said, in correcting the perspective, it might end up looking odd and at the moment it gives a natural perspective. It would just be an interesting exercise to see what difference it makes).

Height & Arch
They both work well. Some good detail in the stonework /flint.

Remote
I think that there's a bit of a limited amount of different remote ideas, so there's bound to be a bit of repation. Having said that you've managed to capture a remote little cottage at the bottom of a hill with a nice dark cloud to give a bit of drama.

I think it works well looks very remote that one telegraph pole adding a feeling of isolation

The house is small in the frame and although the top of the mountain is a tad dark, it gives a good sense of remoteness for me :)
I think that there's a bit of a limited amount of different remote ideas, so there's bound to be a bit of repation. Having said that you've managed to capture a remote little cottage at the bottom of a hill with a nice dark cloud to give a bit of drama.
I think it works well looks very remote that one telegraph pole adding a feeling of isolation

Thank you guys. Yes it's a bit contrasty. When I spotted it and got out to take the shot the mountain top was still in the sun with that black cloud coming up behind. Five minutes later and the heavens opened and it was dive back into the car.

Agree with the comments, it's certainly remote.
Did you play with removing the telegraph pole at all? Pondering what difference it may have made to the feel.

Did have a go Tim, but in the end thought it gave some foreground perspective and actually added to the emptiness of the scene and the sense of distance to the house.

Good sense of remoteness with the white house beneath the dark mountain.

Remote - cloud shadow on the mountain adds a sense of bleakness - single pole catches eye in middle ground increasing feeling of distance.

Liking your Remote very much ... good natural light .... telegraph pole, good or bad? Hmmmm not sure.

:clap:

Given this by my grandkids last hristmas and still haven't started to build it. Still time but not sure my fingers are up to it now. Didn't know Airfix was still going actually:)

Was going to play with the WB but as it was indoors anyway.....;)

tp 47-0128

Last edited:
As you hint, it is a bit warm, but if that's how it appears in the indoor lighting, then nowt wrong with leaving it warm.
Nice positioning to balance the parts on the right with the instructions on the left.

Build
This was going to be my idea, but didn't have a model kit to hand.
I like the light in the top left.

Juicy; Most people beat me to it this week so just a plain shot of a fruit bowl.

tp-48-0139

cropped this one off centre and tweaked the verticals, though not quite what I hoped it would do, but I'd put it all away and someone has reclaimed the apples and orange for cooking!! No consideration:D

tp-48-0137

Last edited:
Seems to lack a bit of punch given the subject, perhaps a bit more dynamic range might lift it a bit?

I with @sirch on this, it wants to be punchier.
It's hard to know without being there, but is the bowl itself a true representation of the colour?
I had a quick play making the colour temp cooler (to whiten the bowl) then boosting the blacks, and the contrast it added made the image pop more.
Worth having a play in your editor of choice?
Other than that minor point though, it's a good, well thought out image and spot on for the theme.

Seems to lack a bit of punch given the subject, perhaps a bit more dynamic range might lift it a bit?
I with @sirch on this, it wants to be punchier.
It's hard to know without being there, but is the bowl itself a true representation of the colour?
I had a quick play making the colour temp cooler (to whiten the bowl) then boosting the blacks, and the contrast it added made the image pop more.
Worth having a play in your editor of choice?
Other than that minor point though, it's a good, well thought out image and spot on for the theme.

Thanks guys, You're quite right and I'm not sure how that happened. The original was taken under halogen lights indoors so it's a bit warm. Anyway have tweaked the levels etc in PS and I think this looks a bit more like I'd hoped, though still a lot of orange.

tp-48-0139-3

Last edited:
Your third edit (y) ... looking good. I really like the bowl and the not OTT amount of fruit. Re the crop ... I'd go as tight as possible to the bowl edge.

Nice idea, nicely staged .... but the state of the brush lets it down a bit. ;)

Juicy
Prefer the edit version, it has a lot more punch to it, I also like that deep black background.

Good idea for the theme, the bright sweet wrappers are a good addition

Nice idea, nicely staged .... but the state of the brush lets it down a bit. ;)
Nowt wrong with triggers broom to my eye, makes it more real. Well set up and taken.
The 3rd edit for Juice for me too :)

Yes it's a bit tatty isn't it. I found it at the back of the cupboard in the village hall, hence the cobwebs and generally battered appearance. Adds character:D

Back