weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

What a great subject for Curves, John. Very unusual to see walls built like that and it would be interesting to know if there was anything other than a cosmetic reason for it. Some nice textures and colours in the old bricks, and the evening light brings out the shapes. I probably slightly prefer #2 as it accentuates the colours and shapes.

Interesting wall, never thought I would say those words well spotted

What a beautiful wall John and great light! I liked the first, but agree that the second brings out the curves even more...love the bend of the verge and the way it leads to the round sign at the bottom too...curves all round :)

What a great subject for Curves, John. Very unusual to see walls built like that and it would be interesting to know if there was anything other than a cosmetic reason for it. Some nice textures and colours in the old bricks, and the evening light brings out the shapes. I probably slightly prefer #2 as it accentuates the colours and shapes.

Interesting wall, never thought I would say those words well spotted

What a beautiful wall John and great light! I liked the first, but agree that the second brings out the curves even more...love the bend of the verge and the way it leads to the round sign at the bottom too...curves all round :)

Thanks guys, I found this on Wikipedia about this actual wall. It's in Bramfield, a couple of miles from us.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinkle_crankle_wall

I wasn't sure about which of these to post. Ones gives a better impression of the curves but the first seems to emphasise the overall structure over curves in the verge and road better to my eye. Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I found this on Wikipedia about this actual wall. It's in Bramfield, a couple of miles from us.

I wasn't sure about which of these to post. Ones gives a better impression of the curves but the first seems to emphasise the overall structure over curves in the verge and road better to my eye. Thanks for all the comments.
What a wonderful name :) I need to start using 'crinkle crankle' immediately!

What a great name too :)

What a great name, and it's interesting to learn why it was built like this. Makes perfect sense once you know - thanks, John (y)

He's leaning ... that's not photographical critique, I'm just surprised he doesn't fall over. Call H&S. ;)

Curves
It's a fabulous wall, I'm not sure which I prefer of the two pov. Probably the second one

Occupation
Has he had a few beers, I know I would have if I had to do this.

Like the idea for the theme, those backgrounds are a pain, aren't they?

PYO Strawberry farm. What happened to the polytunnels? Anyway it provided some nice arches:)

URL=https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/photos/tp52_37-1020060.16909/]
19083-1505741073-c401ca4ade07d8244f1e7ffcbe123e11.jpg
[/URL]
tp52_37-1020060 by granddad john on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Hi John,

Occupation - Very colourful :)
Critique would be a second or so later and the couple behind the right paw may have been hidden by the body and perhaps a smaller aperture (if available) could have helped with separation from the background.

You - I don't mind the background, you've made more of an effort that I usually do.
I like the brightness of the board and pieces. Quite tightly cropped though. Was there a reason for that?

Arch - Ooh, now that's not an archway that I would have expected / thought of :clap: for coming up with something different.
I like that you've deliberately not gone down the symetrical route.

Occupation - Very colourful :)
Critique would be a second or so later and the couple behind the right paw may have been hidden by the body and perhaps a smaller aperture (if available) could have helped with separation from the background.

You - I don't mind the background, you've made more of an effort that I usually do.
I like the brightness of the board and pieces. Quite tightly cropped though. Was there a reason for that?

Thank you Tim, Yes it's a shame about the couple behind him. I didn't really see them at the time and I only had that second when he saw the camera. Next moment he was attacked by several kids!!

The tight crop on the chess board was the lack of a big enough background. The light from the window was difficult and I had several bits of black card and couldn't make it into one piece. Even Levels in PS wouldn't smooth out all the various shades of black:(

Thanks for the arches comments. I was pleased to find it; I've evn seen something for the next reshoot too:):D

Thanks for taking the time to critique the shots, much appreciated

I doubt it's really possible to get more arches that than in one shot. Looking back through recent photos I really like the curved wall (the second shot being my preference) and the square-cropped salt-and-pepper pots.

Arch - nice line leading the eye down the row, perhaps a tad tight at the top but wins the "most arches" prize :)

chessboard is a bit wonky ... but colourful.

I think you've chosen a good angle with those arches.

Hi John, catching up yet again!

Occupation - Good take on the theme and a good shot, shame about the people in the BG but sometimes they can't be avoided
You - Another good idea, Maybe a lower quirkier angle may have helped with the BG but then again it could have made it worse :confused:
Arches - Wow thats a lot of arches. I like that your eye is drawn down the tunnel to the back of the pic

:D

Back