weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

You - Another good idea, Maybe a lower quirkier angle may have helped with the BG but then again it could have made it worse :confused:
Arches - Wow thats a lot of arches. I like that your eye is drawn down the tunnel to the back of the pic

:D
Thanks Georgina, I tried all sorts of angle!! Lower solved the BG problem but hid the game. In the end I went for the strange twisted angle that you see. I chops the front corners but at least keeps the overall game in view.:confused:
The arches was a complete stroke of luck. I'd already identified what I would shot but on the way there saw this lot and thought "That'll do nicely"

Thanks for the comments
:)

Last edited:
Nice to see the angle you chose for the arches John, and not having the poly on sure helps the pic for me, glad you cropped it where you did too with the edges of the first arch coming from the edges, albe it the top is a tad tight, all in all a nice one for the theme :)

Hi John, a wee catch up from me now I'm up-to-date with my images again (or I was until yesterday).

Occupation is a really fun image and it's great that you got the interaction with the character. Shame about the people on the path behind, but you've said that you didn't see them and only had that moment, and I don't think they detract from the fun.

You is a bright, striking image. I usually find these table-top images a real challenge, especially the backgrounds, and you've done well to reduce the distractions so the attention is drawn straight to the board and arrangement of the chess pieces (y)

Finally, you found a lot of arches! Well spotted and composed, with the lines of arches leading the eye through the scene (y)

Good job with the arches. I never thought of poly tunnels and I go in one every day.

Deffo a bit creepy....Not quite what I would have known as a "harvest festival" display, it was much more mundane.

Nice display for the harvest festival

Display - the brighter of the two shots for me. Lighting in chapels and churches is always a challenge but that one works.

Ha! what a great display! Wondering if vignetting out the chairs might work. o_O

Bends; "stuck" on a luxurious ship on the Rhine this week and was fascinated by the way these 50m, and sometimes 120m, long barges managed to get round the bends through the gorges. Not the best shot but given the weather......;)

rhine-0013
by granddad john on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Bent & Wood - Very conscientious, enjoy the holiday and enjoy a slice or two of Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte.

What kind of church puts on that display for harvest festival its enough to put kids off vegetables for life :wideyed:
Sorry to hear you are stuck on a luxurious ship never mind eh, the bridge with the waterfall is a great find

Hi John,

Display - I think I prefer the second shot. It's slightly darker and as you say, pretty creepy (so dark suits it).
The square crop of #1 is better though (imo).

Bent - Overcast as you say, but you've got texture in the clouds which could easily have blown. Fits the theme for me :)

Wooden - I like the contrasty look to it. Amazing what you can capture with mobiles these days.

Bent
Bend, i like the inclusion of the barge. Shame about the overcast weather, but sometimes you have to work with what you've got.

Wood
That's a really good looking bridge and the running water is a nice addition.

Both spot on for the theme, I think I prefer the first because of the context and the nice way the wall leads off into the distance.

I think the first one, I like the curve of the wall and the composition with the church in the BG.

the post box could do with the top cropped I don't think you need that much wall

Liking Wall #1 ... got a curve to follow too.

Interesting fossil but looks like a smaller aperture would bring out more detail.

Interesting fossil but looks like a smaller aperture would bring out more detail.
I agree and more light, its quite dull and flat

Thanks guys, Yes it is a dull old piece. I tried a flash but that just gave a flat bright picture:mad: Tried with the macro lens and that was even worse re DOF. I'll give it some more thought and try again. Thanks for the coments

Hi John,

Wall - Definitely the church and boundary wall. The colours and textures vie and wind for attnetion with the church in the background.

Symmetrical - Agree with @d00d, a smaller aperture on a tripod would give greater clarity to the shot. Not sure if you need a flash, you could just simply increase the exposure using the shutter speed. If you did want to add light, I suspect bouncing a warm light onto that would work well.

Finally got to do this one. All sorts of stuff interfering this week. These tyres have done nearly 700 miles and though starting to wear I'm hoping they'll see me through this winter. Surprisingly difficult to shoot the tyre and keep the frame OOF.

tp52-43-1020195
by granddad john on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Certainly worn, personally I'm not too keen on the vignette.

It's a good idea (is it road legal), I'm with @sirch though, I'm not sure about the white vignetting.

Back