Hertsmans 2018 52....Rural/Bright/Elegant/Derelict added

I quite like the sign you don’t see them very often quite fascinating, though that could just be me

The Grand Union sign for me Mark. I didn't realise that Wendover had an arm of the GU, but then I suppose I've only done Southall northwards on the GU once, and whilst we did do some weird truncated arms, we probably didn't do all that many of them.
I do love a bit of canal infrastructure, it appeals as much as railway infrastructure :)

Really like the nice sharp reeds against the OOF reed-bed and water. The sign is a good subject for the theme but #1 for me.

I like both the first reminds me of a park near me but I am drawn to the second one more though I don't know why I just like it.

Both work for me Sir, love the use of aperture in the first shot, and the old sign is very nice.(y)

George.

I too prefer image due to the interest and thought provoking tones. A nice first image, thanks for sharing.

Your area
#1 for me, I like the layering effect of the Reeds, water, trees and sky.

I quite like the sign you don’t see them very often quite fascinating, though that could just be me
Thanks Allan, I like these too....

A nice start to your 2018 challenge Mark, I am liking the second shot but really like your first one, real nice detail and light on the foreground plants :)
The light was pretty good considering it was pouriing down about 20 minutes prior...cheers DK

Two good shots Mark for area, but I have to agree with Allan on the #2 being my choice. Like these old signs as we have a few here, a good start to your 52 :)
Cheersa Dave

The Grand Union sign for me Mark. I didn't realise that Wendover had an arm of the GU, but then I suppose I've only done Southall northwards on the GU once, and whilst we did do some weird truncated arms, we probably didn't do all that many of them.
I do love a bit of canal infrastructure, it appeals as much as railway infrastructure :)
I can see the connection - I think the Wendover arm has been under a fair bit of closures for maintence/repairs, but I could be wrong....

Really like the nice sharp reeds against the OOF reed-bed and water. The sign is a good subject for the theme but #1 for me.
Thanks Chris, its me preference too

Hi Mark I think #1 is my first choice, love the detail at the front, in fact just the reeds/grasses make a great stand alone shot.
Thanks Susie, they screamed wide open aperture to me....

Scrap that. Looked at it on a proper screen and its bright enough.
Cheers

I like both the first reminds me of a park near me but I am drawn to the second one more though I don't know why I just like it.
If you like it then, then all is good...thanks

Prefer the first one with the sharp focus reeds and oof background.

Thanks

Both work for me Sir, love the use of aperture in the first shot, and the old sign is very nice.(y)

George.
Cheers George

Good luck in your 2018 challenge, and a happy new year to you.

Round your area - Both very good images, for me image 1 stands out for me, nice neutral colours and lovely detail in the foreground.

I too prefer image due to the interest and thought provoking tones. A nice first image, thanks for sharing.

Your area
#1 for me, I like the layering effect of the Reeds, water, trees and sky.

Thanks all,lets hope theres as many of us come December !

Hi Mark

Great start to your 52 challange this year

I like the first image reminds me of a lake near to us.

But I have to agree with others the second image of the sign is my favourite I lived by the canal grwoing up (mom and dad still do and have a narrow boat) so for me it has to be the sign.

I like the first one. Your focus on the foreground works so well.

Nice work with both shots Mark. I like the depth of field used to make the reeds stand out from the back ground

Hi Mark

First one for me too. I do like the sign but love the sharp grass and the off bg. Very nicely done:D

Hi Mark, and good luck with your next 52. I like both images - the sign is really interesting and quite unusual - but my favourite is the first one with the selective focus, layers of subjects, and the light on those foreground plants (y)

Thanks Andrea

Hi Mark

Great start to your 52 challange this year

I like the first image reminds me of a lake near to us.

But I have to agree with others the second image of the sign is my favourite I lived by the canal grwoing up (mom and dad still do and have a narrow boat) so for me it has to be the sign.

Cheers Mark, Im a fan of both shots tbh, but happy you like one of them....

I like the first one. Your focus on the foreground works so well.

Thanks

Nice work with both shots Mark. I like the depth of field used to make the reeds stand out from the back ground

Thanks Tilly

Hi Mark

#1 .... nice use of DOF

Cheers D

Hi Mark

First one for me too. I do like the sign but love the sharp grass and the off bg. Very nicely done:D

Thank you Georgina

The reeds had to be shot wide open as it not only quite dark but also pretty windy - this did help the overall image lots......

Two good choices, not really sure which one swaying towards the second one for the better detail

Think I will go for 1, as I like to see both of the handle/lever things. Like the detail in the gate on the second one but not keen on the lever being cut off, also there seems to be the top of a small bald person in the bottom right corner :LOL:

Do I sense a theme forming here Mark? ;)
Are you actually on a boat for the first shot? Or does the canal turn sharply below the lock?
I do like these kind of industrial heritage shots, it's a difficult decision, but I *think* #2 for me.
Both are good crisp images, but #2 has slightly better sky and ths focus is even more on the gates themselves.

Two good choices, not really sure which one swaying towards the second one for the better detail
Same here Allan.....

Think I will go for 1, as I like to see both of the handle/lever things. Like the detail in the gate on the second one but not keen on the lever being cut off, also there seems to be the top of a small bald person in the bottom right corner :LOL:
Oops, thatll be my finger then !

I was going to do the same but changed my mind. Got to be the #2 as better angle of shot and you have got some nice detail too, blue sky too, just like us today :)
My preference to Dave....

Do I sense a theme forming here Mark? ;)
Are you actually on a boat for the first shot? Or does the canal turn sharply below the lock?
I do like these kind of industrial heritage shots, it's a difficult decision, but I *think* #2 for me.
Both are good crisp images, but #2 has slightly better sky and ths focus is even more on the gates themselves.

Hi Tim, I did wonder if youd notice, lol....no real theme, its just very local and convenient for the themes - plus it gets us out of the house,,,,,

First shot is not on a boat, but the canal twists sharply to allow the full frontal so to speak......

And Number 2 is my preference as well....

I was thinking about going out and taking a very similar shot to your first initially. :) I like the greater detail in the second shot.

What a brilliant idea for the theme ;). I like them both but would have cropped the finger out of the second.

Gate - Number two works better for me but the first looks a bit over exposed to me ;)

Mainly due to intense sunlight in the spare room whilst doing pp.... ;)

I was thinking about going out and taking a very similar shot to your first initially. :) I like the greater detail in the second shot.

Me too !

What a brilliant idea for the theme ;). I like them both but would have cropped the finger out of the second.

So would I if ID have noticed the bugger !!!

Like both shots here.
Out of interest, where are they taken?
I've been there, but can't place my finger on where it is!

Lock gates, good choice of subject, people never manage to position themselves properly on these things though, do they :) I still prefer the front-on view in the first.

I prefer the first photo for gate/lock where both ends of the lock are in the frame. Shame about the people in the background...

2 great images for Gate(d) I think the second one just edges it for me I like how the gates pull your eyes form left the right.

I have a few shots of lock gates taken from a boat ( I won't use them for this though as they are old images)

Back