LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

I think at times the cross processing thing is or can be overused but with this image it feels right (y) nice to see you branching out :p

I like the cross processing, it suits the scene and certainly in your area of expertise (y)

Love the picture but the vignette is a bit much for me.
It is quite extreme, but the look I was trying for.
It would be a boring world if everyone thought the same though.

Hi Tim ....I like it :) it reminds me of one of those old train station posters...love the composition and the processing works really well for me.
Cheers Susie. I guess it has reduced the colour palette somewhat and old station posters did have a limited palette, so I see where you're coming from.

Something different, no not the train subject but the processing. I like the effect.
I've done a few Cross Processed images over the past 3 52s, but this is the most extreme I've produced to date. I had to get a train in though didn't I Stan :)

I agree that's what it made me think of too. it works well
Cheers Alison. So that's 2 for the poster effect. :)

I think at times the cross processing thing is or can be overused but with this image it feels right (y) nice to see you branching out :p
I'd not want to spend the whole year doing cross processing, but for the right subject... Loving the branch line pun :)

I like the cross processing, it suits the scene and certainly in your area of expertise (y)
Ta Chris. This is so much better than my original shots for the theme, which included horses and A380s.

Cheers DK.
Part of me wants to break out the old 350D and my pinhole lens for the whole year, I could end up with 52 photos even more out of focus than this one.
Hmm, nah. But we may get one or two...
Hmmm now that would be a step too far :LOL:

Not really, would be cool as you say to do a couple :)

I like the vintage feel to this one. Really does look like it was taken last century!!

Your area
Well have you started as you mean to go on (trains)?
I like this style of processing when it's done on the right type of photo and I think this the right type.

Hmmm now that would be a step too far :LOL:

Not really, would be cool as you say to do a couple :)
I may have to invest in a sensor cleaning kit for it. Last time I put the pinhole on it I had to spend 30 minutes with the spot removal tool cleaning up the dust!

Nice start, Tim :) It's fitting that you've chosen somewhere that you spend a lot of time, and I like the way you have chosen processing that goes well with the era of the carriages in the background (y)
It certainly gives it an old world look, which was what I'm aiming for.
Would it be giving the game away if I said those coaches and the 2 locos in the shot actually came from the late 50s / early 60s.

Good luck in your 2018 challenge Tim.

Round your area - I am not to sure on the processing, but I like the way you have chosen to have the focus on the sign.
Cheers Mandy. You're the only one to comment on that artistic choice in the shot. The idea was to have it looming large and in focus in the image. You have to try different things to keep it interesting.

I like the vintage feel to this one. Really does look like it was taken last century!!
Thanks :) I did one a few days earlier (pre theme announcement) which looks even more vintage
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/38451634695/in/dateposted/
But it would have boring reproducing it exactly for the theme.

Really like the processing on this one and there is no doubt on where your local area is!
Yeah, Heathrow ;)

Your area
Well have you started as you mean to go on (trains)?
I like this style of processing when it's done on the right type of photo and I think this the right type.
You'd be disappointed in me if I didn't keep up my on-going theme from over the past 3 52s.
You're 100% right. Some shots will suit this sort of processing, others would just look wrong. Can you image an A380 on takeoff made to look like tinplate (actually, I may just do that, for a laugh).

Nice shot Tim, but I would have liked to see the sign straight/level in the frame, the rest is really nicely done tho.

It is level along the top edge.
Please don't make me post the version before the vignette was added ;)

Oh yes, I see now.I think possible the vignette makes it look a little skew wiff ? More a comment than a crit btw

I may have to invest in a sensor cleaning kit for it. Last time I put the pinhole on it I had to spend 30 minutes with the spot removal tool cleaning up the dust!

That is always a pain spending more time cloning dust than taking the shots :D

Hi Tim

Really like the porcessing on your image for Around My Way it gives it a real vitnage feel.

Looking forward to seeing more as the weeks go by

Ps are we takig bets on how many train themed imaiges TIm can get to fit sorry shoe horn in this year ;)

Great processing gives an excellent impression of a vintage poster.

That is always a pain spending more time cloning dust than taking the shots :D
Yeah. I wonder how much the local shop would charge to clean it... It's so old they'd probably try to sell me something newer.

Hi Tim

Really like the processing on your image for Around My Way it gives it a real vintage feel.

Looking forward to seeing more as the weeks go by

Ps are we taking bets on how many train themed images TIm can get to fit sorry shoe horn in this year ;)
Cheers Mark. It was taken with this kind of processing in mind, I'm pleased so many people think it works.
I think that perhaps someone should run a book on my shoe-horns ;) It's been just over 50% for the past 2 years.

Great processing gives an excellent impression of a vintage poster.
Thanks Liz. As per my reply to mark, I'm glad it worked.

Yo Tim welcome back

I like this cross processing (picasa isn't it?) but never remember to try it out, you obviously know when's best to use it. (y)

Week Zero - Your Area

Well, my Mrs would say this is my second home, so I feel it counts.
In the spirit of my 2017 Week0, more Cross Processing loveliness :)

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 0 : Your Area
by Tim White, on Flickr

Is this the one that is close to Fourmarks - I'm pretty sure I went on there with the missus a few years back for a 1940's themed ride

Thought so. If you've never done it and get the chance, they normally run a Boxing Day service, like I said, in a 1940s theme. It's amazing. Everyone dresses in uniforms, the women in lovely coats and hairstyles, they have bands and singers. Wonderful atmosphere and worth an hour or two. Even had a spiv working the train selling all sorts from inside his jacket

Yo Tim welcome back

I like this cross processing (picasa isn't it?) but never remember to try it out, you obviously know when's best to use it. (y)
I used picasa last year, but this one is actually using Nik, Colour Effect Pro I think, but yes it was cross processing, I then added a Vintage Camera effect too.

Thought so. If you've never done it and get the chance, they normally run a Boxing Day service, like I said, in a 1940s theme. It's amazing. Everyone dresses in uniforms, the women in lovely coats and hairstyles, they have bands and singers. Wonderful atmosphere and worth an hour or two. Even had a spiv working the train selling all sorts from inside his jacket
I was there on Boxing day. I did 1 1/2 round trips on the cushions, and we scrounged a trip on the footplate of the Std4 (before being collared to help sort out one of the tarps on 80150).
Thre is also a Summer 40's themed event, War on the Line. You will usually find me running the Bar on one of the services either on the Saturday or Sunday.

Hi Tim, Nice one, unusual processing but I like it :D
It's a combination of cross processing and a vintage camera effect. I think they work quite well on this sort of shot, which was deliberately taken with most of the image OOF :)

Week 1 - Gate(d)

Yes, I know... it's actually the pan flag, but I prefer the colours and gradient (I did try a couple of options using the gay flag, but they weren't as appealing.
Taken using a black backdrop, and on camera flash!!! (no eyes to worry about) with the flag on a separate layer and blended using multiply.

I give you... "Gay Ted"

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 1 : Gate(d)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh dear, :facepalm:
0ft6mUE.gif
This must be one of the best shoehorns ever..... Just because someone beat you to posting the first train-related shot for this theme. :)

However, image-wise love your processing, the pure black background which I just can never able to achieve and the blending of the colours on teddy is just perfect. :clap:

As soon as I saw the pic, I knew immediatly where this was heading........lols...

I like it.

Well I wasn’t expecting that, the colours on the little gay bear work well but I do have one bit of crit about the black BG the bear still needs to be grounded I see it a lot on here floating objects it’s a mistake I used to make but was pointed out to me a couple of years ago and makes perfect sense a small dim pool of light on whatever the bear is sat on would help or of course he could well be the first gay ted in space

Oh dear, :facepalm: This must be one of the best shoehorns ever..... Just because someone beat you to posting the first train-related shot for this theme. :)

However, image-wise love your processing, the pure black background which I just can never able to achieve and the blending of the colours on teddy is just perfect. :clap:
It wasn't pure black straight out of the box. I used the old trick of having a black image with no flash, then added the flash in to light the subject, with sufficient exposure to keep the background black.
Unfortunetly when I added the second layer and used multiply to blend it, it was obvious where the background wasn't fully black. So 30 seconds with the select tool and the fill tool produced the black background.

As soon as I saw the pic, I knew immediatly where this was heading........lols...

I like it.
:) thanks

Well I wasn’t expecting that, the colours on the little gay bear work well but I do have one bit of crit about the black BG the bear still needs to be grounded I see it a lot on here floating objects it’s a mistake I used to make but was pointed out to me a couple of years ago and makes perfect sense a small dim pool of light on whatever the bear is sat on would help or of course he could well be the first gay ted in space
Yup I knew it was a bit floaty, but I wasn't sure how to fix it given what I was planning to do with the post processing.
However, you've made me dredge a technique I'd heard of out of the back of my mind to try, how about this?
Gated3.jpg
Though it seems a bit too subtle perhaps (it shows up more in PS)

Last edited:
Back