LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

Hiya Tim

Camouflage - nice composition but I'm finding the very shallow DOF slightly distracting. It's a tough theme though so well done on getting something suitable - low key look probably helps as well.

Danger - again, bang on theme and a nice shot. I'm not a train buff but I can appreciate a well taken image and that's it. Nicely done to keep up with this week!
Thanks Paul. I wasn't 100% on camouflaged but it'll do. Which of the 2 shots for danger then?

I like #1, it helps that you told us it is a pinhole shot, having made a few pinhole cameras as a kid it does remind me of what I used to see on the back of the box. It also has something of an old snap of a steam train about it. Both good photos for the theme.
That's kind of what I was aiming for. Ta.

Hi, theres reason pinhole photography went out of fashion, but i admire you for trying it.

As for the second one its a better pic than the other for many reasons i can only take your word for the technicalities of signalling, I am sure you are probably right
Cheers Allan. It's good to try something different, and I've since thought of some changes that might improve the shots, so be prepared to suffer more pinhole this year.

Second 'danger' shot for me - superior in composition and execution. There's no real debate over which is the best photo!

I've never tried or experienced pin hole, I'll concede that.
Lovely sharp second shot though :)

The second train is super

The first effort nearly sent me to specsavers :)

Another vote for #2 Lee and not just because it didn't make my eyes go even funnier. I think it is a better composition and a better fit for the theme. And well done fo getting another couple of train shots in :p

I prefer the second shot but I comend you for trying something new and very difficult :clap:
To be fair Ruth, it's not that difficult. Plonk camera on tripod, dial in a long exposure, point it in roughly the right direction and pray...
Review the results, rinse & repeat until you get something approaching reasonable (it's never going to be great).
:plus1: Me too Tim.
:)

Second 'danger' shot for me - superior in composition and execution. There's no real debate over which is the best photo!
I totally agree, the 2nd shot is better, but that's the result of expensive glass and being able to see what you are doing ;)

Oh yes, forgot that bit ;) Whilst I appreciate the effort of getting a picture from a pinhole camera, I'm going to go with the DSLR shot as the image is more pleasing (even if the journey might have been more fun for the first).
It was certainly an experience.

I've never tried or experienced pin hole, I'll concede that.
Lovely sharp second shot though :)
You know that you want to now though eh?

Yeah, nice one for trying the pinhole, but #2 is for me. Nice detail, and on theme.

Cheers.
I wonder if I can start a trend for using pinhole in 52 4 2016 ;)

The second train is super

The first effort nearly sent me to specsavers :)
LOL, it's not *that* bad. Feels like the old instamatic shots I took as a toddler.

good idea for a theme dangerous, like the pinhole take
:) Cheers. My first supporter for the pinhole (y)

Another vote for #2 Lee and not just because it didn't make my eyes go even funnier. I think it is a better composition and a better fit for the theme. And well done fo getting another couple of train shots in :p
I know it's hard to make out, but I did get a signal at 'Danger' into the pinhole shot. Honest... (It's top right).

Danger - the second image for me as it's much sharper than the first.
:)

So, overall that's a no for the pinhole technique is it? ;)
Actually, I think I may have learnt something from the first attempt that will make a second and maybe third go inevitable. mwhahahaaaaaa.

Hi Tim, I really like the OOF effect from the pinhole lens shot. I think it would really benefit from a B&W conversion though, I would give it a proper vintage feel I think! The second shot is good too :)

Hi Tim, just a quick catch-up from me on my first visit to your thread. Thanks for popping into mine as I try to get up to date :)

Old - I used to have a 00-gauge model engine called Nellie when I was little. In fact, I'm sure I still do, as I would never get rid of her! They're both perfect images for the theme, but I favour #1 for the slight motion in the engine and the look of concentration on the man's face. He really makes the image come alive.
Metal - love the different colours and textures in the weathered metal, and the vertical lines in the wood behind. A strong image.
Captive - as you say, you'd normally wonder "who did that!?" but it works so well. Lovely light and details, and an unusual take on the theme.
Miniature - I bet you didn't have to think long and hard about a subject for this one! I do really like the first image because of the huge contrast in size between the two subjects.
Abandoned - just fab. I love the colours and textures, especially the green growing on the old wood, and the hole where it's rotted away completely. Great details (y)
Happy - definitely a happy expression and the flying hair is expressive. Happy colours too.
Camouflage - great minds clearly think alike! I chose our (black) cat for this theme, and yours blends in remarkably well with the carpet. Thankfully ours don't sleep on our stairs as we'd never see them! Pretty puss, too.
Danger - I'm not sure about #1, but I do like the second shot. Lots of strong contrasting colours and clear 'red for danger' signs and signals. I like the composition too, with the inclusion of the bridge. Very nice :)

I've enjoyed looking through your thread and will be following and keeping up in future :)

Last edited:
Hi Tim, I really like the OOF effect from the pinhole lens shot. I think it would really benefit from a B&W conversion though, I would give it a proper vintage feel I think! The second shot is good too :)
Thanks Rob. I've had a look and it does work B&W, but I was actually going for a KodaChrome kind of effect, by over saturating the colours.

Hi Tim, just a quick catch-up from me on my first visit to your thread. Thanks for popping into mine as I try to get up to date :)

Old - I used to have a 00-gauge model engine called Nellie when I was little. In fact, I'm sure I still do, as I would never get rid of her! They're both perfect images for the theme, but I favour #1 for the slight motion in the engine and the look of concentration on the man's face. He really makes the image come alive.
Metal - love the different colours and textures in the weathered metal, and the vertical lines in the wood behind. A strong image.
Captive - as you say, you'd normally wonder "who did that!?" but it works so well. Lovely light and details, and an unusual take on the theme.
Miniature - I bet you didn't have to think long and hard about a subject for this one! I do really like the first image because of the huge contrast in size between the two subjects.
Abandoned - just fab. I love the colours and textures, especially the green growing on the old wood, and the hole where it's rotted away completely. Great details (y)
Happy - definitely a happy expression and the flying hair is expressive. Happy colours too.
Camouflage - great minds clearly think alike! I chose our (black) cat for this theme, and yours blends in remarkably well with the carpet. Thankfully ours don't sleep on our stairs as we'd never see them! Pretty puss, too.
Danger - I'm not sure about #1, but I do like the second shot. Lots of strong contrasting colours and clear 'red for danger' signs and signals. I like the composition too, with the inclusion of the bridge. Very nice :)

I've enjoyed looking through your thread and will be following and keeping up in future :)
Thanks for the catch up Andrea. Glad you've enjoyed my mainly railway based 52 so far.

Week 8 - Topical

It is what it is this week...
A hot topic in South London (well all of London really) is the gentrification of the area, driving out the locals.
So much of the existing local business has been driven out of Southwark, replaced by overspill from the city, that the area is changing massively. The local boozer on the left, in the shadow of The Shard, has now been shut for a year. Originally due to be 'refurbished' as a 'Craft Pub' :( but as nothing appears to have happened over the past 12 months, you have to wonder what the developers really intend to do...

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 8 : Topical
by Tim White, on Flickr

I like that Tim certainly Topical I love the contrast between the old and the new

As above, good contrast between the old and the new and a good idea for the theme.

Hi Tim. It is a shame - just look at those lovely old character buildings in the fg! No doubt that the Shard is iconic but not those other non-descript blocks that surround it. Borough Market must be in danger and that would be a real loss. After all that, of course it hits the Topical theme. I like the fact that it presents a visual statement. :clap:

Hi, nice idea for the theme no sign of a EU reference so its good for me, picture wise you could do with sorting out the perspective

That street lamp is a pig, but just missed the Shard as I guess you planned, hense more of the base obscured... but like the reasoning for this one Tim :)
Cheers DK. The lamp post may not have missed the Shard on the SooC ;)

Topical - a very tricky theme so well done for getting out and getting something.
Ta Mandy, it's been an interesting theme hasn't it.

I like that Tim certainly Topical I love the contrast between the old and the new
Ta Mark, that's what I was aiming to do.

A nice juxtaposition (remember that one, everyone? :) ) of the old and new, with the road leading the eye through to the Shard. Even the lamp post seems to be pointing straight at the new interloper! Good write-up, too.
I was hoping that the buildings on the right would work as a leading line, but I think you're right, the road works better.

As above, good contrast between the old and the new and a good idea for the theme.
Thanks Chris

Hi Tim. It is a shame - just look at those lovely old character buildings in the fg! No doubt that the Shard is iconic but not those other non-descript blocks that surround it. Borough Market must be in danger and that would be a real loss. After all that, of course it hits the Topical theme. I like the fact that it presents a visual statement. :clap:
You're right Carl, there are plenty of meh new buildings around. I think that Borough Market is safe for now, it's a major part of the reason that the area has risen in profile and the developers wouldn't kill the golden goose would they? ;)
To be honest, I much preferred the area when I first started working up here in '95

Hi, nice idea for the theme no sign of a EU reference so its good for me, picture wise you could do with sorting out the perspective
I did have a go at fixing the perspective, but it caused a bit too much distortion so I felt it better to leave it alone rather than make a mess.

Great take on topical, I like the contrast between old and new and very good sharpness.

Hi Tim, I was unsure about the mage at first, but reading the back ground text makes perfect sense. I feel the lamp post adds a lot to the image, pointing to the new London and the affect it has on the older neighbourhood streets.

Dangerous, I like the quirkiness of the first, yeah its oof and blurry but that just seems to add a sense of movement and danger. Well done for doing something completely different.

Topical, good take, Gentrification is very topical at the moment as working people are finding living in London unsustainable, soon all areas will be gentrified and they'll be building shanty towns on the outskirts so essential services can have somewhere to live :(. Good lead into the shard and I like the contrast between the older buildings and the new. (I would have said juxtaposition to show how clever I am but someone beat me to it :))

Last edited:
Hi Tim you've captured the contrast well ....it is a shame to see those old buildings standing empty but I must admit The Shard looks a stunning building, a good choice for the theme.
It was certainly interesting watching the Shard bing built over time. I prefer teh older London buildings though.

Great take on topical, I like the contrast between old and new and very good sharpness.
Thanks

Interesting bit of streetscape, a real mishmash. (y)
That's the backstreets of sarf london for you. Out of sight, but just along this road on the right is the headquarters of the London Fire Brigade which is also quite a ice building.

Hi Tim, I was unsure about the mage at first, but reading the back ground text makes perfect sense. I feel the lamp post adds a lot to the image, pointing to the new London and the affect it has on the older neighbourhood streets.
I hadn't thought of it like that.

Dangerous, I like the quirkiness of the first, yeah its oof and blurry but that just seems to add a sense of movement and danger. Well done for doing something completely different.

Topical, good take, Gentrification is very topical at the moment as working people are finding living in London unsustainable, soon all areas will be gentrified and they'll be building shanty towns on the outskirts so essential services can have somewhere to live :(. Good lead into the shard and I like the contrast between the older buildings and the new. (I would have said juxtaposition to show how clever I am but someone beat me to it :))
Thanks Steve.
I was reasonably happy with the Danger shot, but more playing is required.
The shot for topical was something I decided to try during my lunch at work. It's been very interesting watching this part of london change over the years, sometimes for the better, but certainly not all better and a lot of the character of the area is being lost.

Week 9 : Living World

Around 50 years ago Feltham Marshalling Yards, the largest Marshalling Yard in southern England, was closed.
Very little remains...

This shot shows the power of the Living World in reclaiming urban space back for nature.
It was quite a trek through woodlands to reach the remnants of this footbridge between Cygnet Avenue and the Yard itself.
Apparently this is close to the site of the yard's clock tower.

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 9 : Living World
by Tim White, on Flickr

Whilst there is some other evidence of the previous usage of this land, there is very little that actually identifies what the usage was.
Presumably this denotes the edge of the land that the clock tower and control buildings stood on...

Feltham Marshalling Yards
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim. Nature is such a powerful force, unrelenting in it's reclamation. Definitely the living world. Of the two, I think I prefer the first ... not sure why exactly but maybe to do with the opposing forces of tree and concrete. :clap:

See, I knew you'd manage a shoe horn regarding trains :D

Nature is certianly a powerful force well captured Tim (y)

Nice that you got the train in the background, #1 for me because I feel it demonstrates the power of nature more strongly.

Back