weekly Mandys TP 52 2017 Week 11 Dark Added

Like the idea for the talc shot. Would never have thought of talc. The bright line down the bottle is a little harsh but I like the two lines of powder:)

Very good detail on the nutmeg and I like the way the tile matches the colour of the nuts:)

Very nice idea, no fuss and right on theme.:clap:

Like the idea for the talc shot. Would never have thought of talc. The bright line down the bottle is a little harsh but I like the two lines of powder:)

Very good detail on the nutmeg and I like the way the tile matches the colour of the nuts:)

Thank you for the lovely comments.

Simple .... muted tones and lighting's nice and subtle. Like the focus on the FG nut. (y)

Week 6 - Structure Just a little bit behind at the moment but today, I braved the horrible wind and me and my friend went off out for a mini adventure. In search of my image for the theme we stopped off at Devizes, to try and capture an interesting perspective on the Caen Hill Locks. I cant decide on what image I like the best so I have 2 for the theme, as always I hope you like. For anyone who would like to know a bit more about the lock system here is some info below.

Caen Hill Locks (pronounced "Cane"[1]) are a flight of locks on the Kennet and Avon Canal, between Rowde and Devizes in Wiltshire, England.

The 29 locks have a rise of 237 feet in 2 miles (72 m in 3.2 km) or a 1 in 44 gradient. The locks come in three groups. The lower seven locks, Foxhangers Wharf Lock to Foxhangers Bridge Lock, are spread over ¾ of a mile (1.2 km). The next sixteen locks form a steep flight in a straight line up the hillside and are designated as a scheduled monument.[2] Because of the steepness of the terrain, the pounds between these locks are very short. As a result, 15 locks have unusually large sideways-extended pounds, to store the water needed to operate them. A final six locks take the canal into Devizes.[3]

This flight of locks was engineer John Rennie's solution to climbing the very steep hill, and was the last part of the 87-mile route of the canal to be completed. Whilst the locks were under construction a tramroad provided a link between the canal at Foxhangers to Devizes, the remains of which can be seen in the towpath arches in the road bridges over the canal.[4] A brickyard was dug to the south of the workings to manufacture the bricks for the lock chambers and this remained in commercial use until the middle of the 20th century.

Because a large volume of water is needed for the locks to operate, a back pump was installed at Foxhangers in 1996 capable of returning 7 million gallons of water per day to the top of the flight, which is equivalent to one lockful every eleven minutes.[5]

In the early 19th century, 1829–43, the flight was lit by gas lights.[6]

The locks take 5–6 hours to traverse in a boat and lock 41 is the narrowest on the canal.[7]

After the coming of the railways, the canal fell into disuse and was closed. The last cargo through the flight was a consignment of grain conveyed from Avonmouth to Newbury in October 1948.[8] From the 1960s there was a major clearing and rebuilding operation, culminating in a visit by Queen Elizabeth II in 1990 to open the new locks officially, although the flight had been navigable for a number of years before then.

In 2010 British Waterways planned to install sixteen new locks gates in twelve weeks as part of its winter maintenance programme, in an attempt to reduce the amount of water lost.[9] The exceptionally cold weather delayed work, and when the section was re-opened at Easter 2010 only twelve pairs of gates had been dealt with.[10] The wood from the old gates was donated to Glastonbury Festival and used to build a new bridge which was named in honour of Arabella Churchill, one of the festival's founders.[11]

Structure 1

Structure (65) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Structure 2

Structure (70) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

2nd one for me Mandy, shows more of the structure of the whole lock system

Visited those locks many years ago, good to be reminded of them and a good choice for the theme. I like the position you shot from on the first with the nice line of the gates running up the hill.

#1 for me Mandy. It concentrates on the structure, though the second is perhaps the record shot showing the full flight. Lovely shadows add a layer of complexity for me too.

Number 1 for me.

I find the houses distracting in the second one, shame as without them I think that would have been the better of the two.

2nd one for me Mandy, shows more of the structure of the whole lock system

Lovely composition, 2nd one does it for me.

Visited those locks many years ago, good to be reminded of them and a good choice for the theme. I like the position you shot from on the first with the nice line of the gates running up the hill.

#1 for me Mandy. It concentrates on the structure, though the second is perhaps the record shot showing the full flight. Lovely shadows add a layer of complexity for me too.

Number 1 for me.

I find the houses distracting in the second one, shame as without them I think that would have been the better of the two.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment

I think second one for me Mandy - the perspective is better and more definition in the sky

Hey Mandy,
Mineral - Talc is a high temperature lubricant? Who ever knew that... As @IanW says, the highlight on the bottle is a bit distracting, but hard to avoid. I like the B&W processing and the shadows you've achieved in the two lines of "talc" show that you worked on the lighting. (y)
Whole - A little lacking in contrast for my taste, but that's just me. Composition works nicely, as does your tile sample background :)
Structure - #1 for me due to extra detail as it's larger in the frame.
I've done the staircase at Foxton a few times and that's only 10 locks. The thought of 29 locks over 2 miles, well... I'm not sure I'd want to do it these days.

Love them both Mandy, great structure and info. Spot on focus with good lighting :plus1::plus1:

Just slightly prefer the close up version, can't make my mind up on the houses in the other. Look a little cool to me, a warmer white balance may be?

I think second one for me Mandy - the perspective is better and more definition in the sky

Hey Mandy,
Mineral - Talc is a high temperature lubricant? Who ever knew that... As @IanW says, the highlight on the bottle is a bit distracting, but hard to avoid. I like the B&W processing and the shadows you've achieved in the two lines of "talc" show that you worked on the lighting. (y)
Whole - A little lacking in contrast for my taste, but that's just me. Composition works nicely, as does your tile sample background :)
Structure - #1 for me due to extra detail as it's larger in the frame.
I've done the staircase at Foxton a few times and that's only 10 locks. The thought of 29 locks over 2 miles, well... I'm not sure I'd want to do it these days.

2 nice shots for structure, I prefer number 2, it's a nice walk up there.

Thanks for the comments and for taking the time to look.

Second one for me as I like the way the light catches the locks and I think the angle works better plus the light looks a little warmer.

(y)

Last edited:
I like both of these Mandy. My only tiny suggestion in the first would be to crop out the tiny bit of wall to the right, or maybe go for a wider shot to include more and maybe more of the path running parallel too? I like the way the sweep of wall and locks leads you through the shot in the second.

Week 8 - Routine I was not inspired by this theme, but my idea behind this image is. Every morning when I wake up, I have a " routine " of things I do before my day can start, the first thing I do is to clean my teeth. The image is fairly simple I am not entirely happy with it, there are a few flaws with the background. For me it is another box ticked, and I can look forward to the next theme.

Routine

Routine (9) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

routine is simple and straight forward with the blue and red..but i scratch my chin about the toothbrush and where you positioned it..

It's very well captured with good lighting, I don't have a particular issue with the position of the brush and I can see why you put it at the bottom of the writing on the tube.

Sorry Mandy, it feels a bit 18% grey, and I know the cap on the toothpaste is white (as I use that brand too).
That said, I had a play with the jpg and couldn't really do anything about the lighting without wrecking the image.
Works perfectly for the theme though. :)

Structure, really like the second one, think it pulls you into the shot better. I know an idiot who fell off a narrow boat after going through there, cracked his sternum and had a heart attack:( kept my sunglasses on all the way through it though!

Routine Another excellent shot from such simple objects. Most impressed with the way you do that.

Hmmmm not sure Mandy, I like the idea, but the brush head is lost where it is (in front of the tube cap), moved slightly with maybe a nice squirt of toothpaste on the bristles would have lifted it a bit... Theme wise yes spot on, so for uninspired week a box well ticked :)

You got a nice shot in Mandy for your Routine, would it of looked better with a darker BG I don`t know, but I like the shadow from the toothbrush and bit of blue (y)

routine is simple and straight forward with the blue and red..but i scratch my chin about the toothbrush and where you positioned it..

Maybe having the toothbrush leading into the shot somehow would have made a stronger composition, but I quite like the background colour which gives a muted feel with all those whites and greys.

It's very well captured with good lighting, I don't have a particular issue with the position of the brush and I can see why you put it at the bottom of the writing on the tube.

It's a nicely lit image and the background is ok. The only thing I'm not keen on is the positions of the toothpaste/brush.

Sorry Mandy, it feels a bit 18% grey, and I know the cap on the toothpaste is white (as I use that brand too).
That said, I had a play with the jpg and couldn't really do anything about the lighting without wrecking the image.
Works perfectly for the theme though. :)

I like the flash of blue on the toothbrush Mandy ...it all works well as a product type shot.

Structure, really like the second one, think it pulls you into the shot better. I know an idiot who fell off a narrow boat after going through there, cracked his sternum and had a heart attack:( kept my sunglasses on all the way through it though!

Routine Another excellent shot from such simple objects. Most impressed with the way you do that.

.... another good producty shot. :clap:

Hmmmm not sure Mandy, I like the idea, but the brush head is lost where it is (in front of the tube cap), moved slightly with maybe a nice squirt of toothpaste on the bristles would have lifted it a bit... Theme wise yes spot on, so for uninspired week a box well ticked :)

Thanks all for the comments and for taking the time to look and comment.

Hi Mandy;

How are you getting on with the new tree surgery job? Hard work that for sure......and dangerous.

We've installed two wood-burning stoves over the past few years and I really enjoy finding/sourcing/cutting/storing logs into my three homemade wood sheds, I'm around 18 months ahead of myself wood wise, I'll start from spring this year to collect wood and dry/store for the winters of 2018/19 onwards etc...

I'm well into it to be honest.

Best of luck with the new job, take care with those chainsaws.

Regards;
Peter

(p.s. I'm a keen biker also, been doing it about 35+ yrs......still loving it).

Hi Mandy;

How are you getting on with the new tree surgery job? Hard work that for sure......and dangerous.

We've installed two wood-burning stoves over the past few years and I really enjoy finding/sourcing/cutting/storing logs into my three homemade wood sheds, I'm around 18 months ahead of myself wood wise, I'll start from spring this year to collect wood and dry/store for the winters of 2018/19 onwards etc...

I'm well into it to be honest.

Best of luck with the new job, take care with those chainsaws.

Regards;
Peter

(p.s. I'm a keen biker also, been doing it about 35+ yrs......still loving it).
People don't realise just how much wood is about, dead gorse is fantastic, builders yard. Old bird tables and seating benches. I am lucky with a farmer giving old fencing post one post three logs. I use a bow saw, I'd be hopeless with a chainsaw.

Where are all the numbered photo, there are some great reg plates about, look on a fishing boat when you pass a harbour they always have a numbers. I think its the most wonderful theme you've ever had and and and the sun is showing its self to-day.:D:)

Week 9 theme numbers I am running a little bit behind with things at the moment, went out for a trip to wales on Sunday and on the way back me and my friend came back through Bristol. While in Bristol I spotted a nice church with a nice clock on it, so I thought it would fit the theme. I dont think my image is technically very good as I was struggling for the best composition and unfortunately for me the area where the church is situated was very busy.

Number's

Numbers by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

mandy, hope u don't mind me asking, but why did you shoot as slow as 1/10 @ f19? got a feeling the subject was quite a distance from you, as you went to 280mm, so the dof would have been quite large anyway being on a stone wall and not capturing anything in focus in front or behind, OR you may have cropped idk.

i'm not slating the photo nor your choice of settings btw, i am curious.. i used this http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html and plugged in the settings from flickr, and it said your dof was at least 46ft IF the subject was 100 ft away idk how close or far you were but with your lens, u could have used 5.6 and still had 14ft of focus.

please say if i was too picky, technical or lost you....only trying to help and my own understanding..

mandy, hope u don't mind me asking, but why did you shoot as slow as 1/10 @ f19? got a feeling the subject was quite a distance from you, as you went to 280mm, so the dof would have been quite large anyway being on a stone wall and not capturing anything in focus in front or behind, OR you may have cropped idk.

i'm not slating the photo nor your choice of settings btw, i am curious.. i used this http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html and plugged in the settings from flickr, and it said your dof was at least 46ft IF the subject was 100 ft away idk how close or far you were but with your lens, u could have used 5.6 and still had 14ft of focus.

please say if i was too picky, technical or lost you....only trying to help and my own understanding..

It was a bit of a rushed shot to be fair, there was no where safe to park the car and I didn't check my settings on the camera before taking the shot. I was shooting from across a very busy main road trying to avoid other unsightly objects.

It was a bit of a rushed shot to be fair, there was no where safe to park the car and I didn't check my settings on the camera before taking the shot. I was shooting from across a very busy main road trying to avoid other unsightly objects.

..and distance is always an issue when you're trying to isolate a subject in somewhere busy....thx

Back