weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

Week 45 - Mark

45 Mark
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Just a simple one to get fully up to date, this is the high water mark in Castletown harbour as the water runs around a corner and into darkness under the bridge. I liked the light and textures on the wall and the reflection and currents in the water, and opted for B&W to bring out those details.

Last edited:
Mark, really like the Band W and the weird reflections in the water, like the idea as well. I was thinking of doing a high water mark, think you have captured it very well. :)

Love that water on Mark :)

You could have got corner and mark out of that, nice bit of black and white processing too

Mark, really like the Band W and the weird reflections in the water, like the idea as well. I was thinking of doing a high water mark, think you have captured it very well. :)

Thanks, Roger, at first I thought I had missed the best of the light as the harbour was quite shadowy but this corner was in some nice light. I started out thinking of 'tide mark' but it was too cold and windy to brave the beach :D

Not an easy subject to photograph, like the reflections in the water and converting it to b+w certainly works for the scene. I like it,

Thank you, Michael, I was lucky to find this patch of light on the stone.

Mark - simple but effective. I think the black and white really suits the textures and contrast. Was it natural light?

Thank you, B&W was the best option I think, as the harbour wall was a bit dank and greenish in colour! Yes, it was a little bit of sunlight and some dappled reflections in this corner.

Love that water on Mark :)

Thanks, Dave, I liked the little swirls left by the current in this corner.

You could have got corner and mark out of that, nice bit of black and white processing too

Good point Allan, it was an interesting little corner :) Yes, it needed some PP to bring out the details so thankfully it worked out - thank you.

Good bit of PP in this mark shot, agree with Allan it could of been two in one also like the reflection in the water.

Thanks, Dave :)

Last edited:
Week 46 - Lost

46 Lost

I thought I'd come up with an original idea but - unsurprisingly after last weekend - I've just seen two similar ones in the pictures thread. With around 40 million lives lost in WWI alone, this seemed a very fitting subject for the theme.

I wish I had been able to get a slightly lower angle to reduce the separation between the board and the wreaths but there is a new commemorative bench in this position so I had to shoot between the bars of that and the metal fence behind it.

Best of all, I'm up to date again :banana:

Last edited:
Nicely done Andrea!

Up to date and top of the fantasy league, you can go off people you know :D good choice for the theme

Andrea

Model, spot on for the theme and a nice image with a story.

Corner, It is what it is. On theme.

Filthy, just as you say, maybe a closer shot. 2nd Image looks better.

Mark, I like it, nice reflections in the water and good use of B&W, lots of details.

Lost, Very much on theme and I may well submit similar later on.

Corner does the job the water picks out the corner.

Filthy, I'm not a dog owner so whilst I can see the intent I'm not feeling it really.

I really like mark, well seen and captured.

Remembrance for lost is becoming a theme of it's own this week. I'm not overly keen on the large wooden plaque to be honest.

Last edited:
Mark
A good black and white. I like that it's not symmetrical or should I say split down the middle, if you see what I mean.

Lost
I another good one, I don't mind the separation and didn't even notice until I read your description.

Hi Andrea,

Mark - Quite a different shot to the 11/11 syle shots we've had for teh theme so far.
I like it, it's simple, to the point and works well the way you've processed it.

Lost - Bang on theme and nicely sharp. I'm not sure about the placement, it's neither central or deliberately to one side (at least that's how it feels to me, but what do I know).

Nicely done Andrea!

Thank you, Dave (y)

Up to date and top of the fantasy league, you can go off people you know :D good choice for the theme

Thanks, Allan - neither lasted long, did they? :(

Andrea

Model, spot on for the theme and a nice image with a story.

Corner, It is what it is. On theme.

Filthy, just as you say, maybe a closer shot. 2nd Image looks better.

Mark, I like it, nice reflections in the water and good use of B&W, lots of details.

Lost, Very much on theme and I may well submit similar later on.

Thank you very much for looking back and commenting, Pete, it is much appreciated and sorry I haven't been on since.

Very nicely done Andrea, for me I think it would look better to crop the top off so the main bit hits the viewer but still a good image.

Thanks, Dave (y)

Corner does the job the water picks out the corner.

Filthy, I'm not a dog owner so whilst I can see the intent I'm not feeling it really.

I really like mark, well seen and captured.

Remembrance for lost is becoming a theme of it's own this week. I'm not overly keen on the large wooden plaque to be honest.

Thanks for looking in, Chris, and I agree that Mark is the one that I was happiest with I have been struggling for inspiration with many of the themes recently.

Mark
A good black and white. I like that it's not symmetrical or should I say split down the middle, if you see what I mean.

Lost
I another good one, I don't mind the separation and didn't even notice until I read your description.

Thanks very much, Dominic - 'Mark' worked out better than you would expect of a manky old corner in a harbour!

Hi Andrea,

Mark - Quite a different shot to the 11/11 syle shots we've had for teh theme so far.
I like it, it's simple, to the point and works well the way you've processed it.

Lost - Bang on theme and nicely sharp. I'm not sure about the placement, it's neither central or deliberately to one side (at least that's how it feels to me, but what do I know).

Thanks, Tim. Mark was a strange one - I thought it might be the weakest of the ideas I had but it turned out OK, whereas I had high hopes of Lost but the end result wasn't quite there. For the placement, it was hard because of the fence and bench placed right where I needed to be :)

Week 47 - Monstrous

47 Monstrous

Monstrous: 'Having the ugly or frightening appearance of a monster', 'Extraordinarily and dauntingly large'.

For some reason, monstrous waves was the first thought that came to mind when I saw this theme so Storm Diana was well-timed. Taken two weeks ago but only processed tonight, here's my effort for the theme. The dull light, water spray, wind and high ISO made it challenging to process but a hefty boost to contrast has helped. I took quite a few images but this was the choice because of the 'face' emerging from the top of the big wave.

I've been off the forum for almost two weeks but I'll get around the threads and catch up with the new themes and discussion as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Mark: beautifully shot and processed....so much going on with the reflections and textures of the walls, and yet doesn't appear busy or cluttered, very nice indeed.

Lost: another super shot, poignant and bang on theme.

Monstrous: amazing! Such energy and drama....very nicely processed too.
Perfectly timed as well, and I can indeed see the 'face' too....great story!

(y)

Really like monstrous but I can't see the face, doh!:(

Mark: beautifully shot and processed....so much going on with the reflections and textures of the walls, and yet doesn't appear busy or cluttered, very nice indeed.

Lost: another super shot, poignant and bang on theme.

Monstrous: amazing! Such energy and drama....very nicely processed too.
Perfectly timed as well, and I can indeed see the 'face' too....great story!

(y)

Thank you for your comments, Gareth. 'Mark' was a better result than I expected, when the details blossomed with some PP. The waves in 'Monstrous' were fantastic but it was a job to keep the camera steady! The face was a happy bonus :)

That face is spooky, isn't it.
I quite like a bit of high iso for images like this, the grain seems to add drama and this shot has drama in spades.
Nice capture of the threatening colour of the sea too :)

Thanks, Tim, I agree, I wasn't too upset about the ISO as it was the gloomy sky and flying spray that caused the most problems, and I agree that a bit of grain never hurt anyone :) I know, the sea was absolutely raging and looked very threatening. Great to watch, but I usually make sure I'm doing it from inside a car!

Really like monstrous but I can't see the face, doh!:(

Thanks, Roger. It's just the hint of a face sticking out of the top of the big wave; it resembles a face looking towards the top right hand corner, with a floppy fringe :)

The monstrous wave is really good, I'd like to get a shot like that, and the face is a bonus.

I love a coastal storm and you have got that bang on, the lighthouse inclusion is great for the scale

Monstrous

Monstrous indeed, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that,unlike the seagull who didn't seem to have any quarms.

The monstrous wave is really good, I'd like to get a shot like that, and the face is a bonus.

Thank you Chris, I suspect there might be a few more opportunities this winter! Glad you saw the face :)

I love a coastal storm and you have got that bang on, the lighthouse inclusion is great for the scale

Thanks, Allan, the lighthouse does show the sheer size of the waves.

Andrea

Monstrous - good Image, great timing and scale, I can see the face.

Pete

Thanks, Pete, it was more luck than timing as I was struggling to stay upright :D

Monstrous

Monstrous indeed, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that,unlike the seagull who didn't seem to have any quarms.

Thanks, Dominic, you're right, the gulls seemed to be really enjoying it!

Week 48 - Balanced

48 Balanced by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I know it's not original, but it's something I have wanted to try for a while so this theme was the perfect opportunity. I need more practice with lighting and backgrounds so it is something I will revisit in future.

Week 49 - Crushed

49 Crushed

It seems crazy that the first chance I've had to do these is today, on the evening before Christmas, but I've hardly touched the camera in the last few weeks. As with Balanced, above, I went with the props I have to hand and this one was practically monochrome in the camera so hardly needed much processing. I do like the texture in the foreground ice and the contrast between the ice and the black slate.

It's strange that I'm leaning towards B&W in most of my recent images whereas it had been an almost exclusively colour 52 until recently.

Last edited:
Balanced: Wow! What a stunning image - absolutely love the simple, centred composition....works very well as mono.

Crushed: Another beautifully simple composition, which again lends itself extremely well to mono. Great textures in the surface and the ice.

(y)

Balanced - Works nicely Andrea, with just enough reflection showing on the surface to prevent the image being 'floaty'. Lovely exposure and plenty of detail :)

Crushed - As you say, a great contrast between the blacks and whites in the image. Good use of diagonals to lead you across the image from the top right to the focal point bottom left.

Andrea.

Two very good images in Balance and Crushed. Both work very well in B&W with plenty on tones and detail showing.

Pete

The egg works quite well although I agree the BG needs a little work but I think the lighting is fine
The ice I'm not really feeling its needs more DoF maybe some focus stacking :thinking:

Balanced: Wow! What a stunning image - absolutely love the simple, centred composition....works very well as mono.

Crushed: Another beautifully simple composition, which again lends itself extremely well to mono. Great textures in the surface and the ice.

(y)

Thanks, Gareth, you are very kind. They were a bit rushed and there are problems with them but it gives me a starting point to have another go :)

Balanced - Works nicely Andrea, with just enough reflection showing on the surface to prevent the image being 'floaty'. Lovely exposure and plenty of detail :)

Crushed - As you say, a great contrast between the blacks and whites in the image. Good use of diagonals to lead you across the image from the top right to the focal point bottom left.

Thanks, Tim, I got more or less what I was aiming for with both of these, but I can see technical problems with them now that weren't apparent at the time :banghead:

Crushed goes very well in b&w Andrea, very nicely taken.

Thanks, Dave :)

A clean and sharp Balance shot with good lighting too. As for the background, have you consider using one large sheet of paper to give that seamless continuous fore and background.

A simple well lit shot but I would like the ice are smaller pieces.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Stan. I couldn't see the issues with the background at the time, which means I need to spend some time with my screen or optician, or both ;) I'm going to try using paper as I agree that would have looked much neater. I agree about the ice, too - I took a few different ones and this was my favourite because of the details in the large blocks at the front, but I should have used one of the images with smaller pieces.

Andrea.

Two very good images in Balance and Crushed. Both work very well in B&W with plenty on tones and detail showing.

Pete

Thank you, Pete - I did enjoy the chance to work with B&W again :)

The egg works quite well although I agree the BG needs a little work but I think the lighting is fine
The ice I'm not really feeling its needs more DoF maybe some focus stacking :thinking:

Thanks for the feedback, Allan. As I said to Stan above, I didn't see the issues with the background at the time so more work is needed there, and I picked the wrong ice image as I did take some with smaller pieces but got attracted to the details in the foreground in this one. It's also the one with the narrowest DOF as I liked the effect, but possibly not the right choice for this theme :banghead: Thank you again, your comments are helpful.

Last edited:
Week 50 - Motion

50 Motion by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I'm getting there!

I dragged myself to the local supermarket today as three-quarters of the family (including me) have gone down with a horrible cold/flu and we needed supplies. I had this shot in mind from yesterday but almost chickened out when I got there, and it's probably the most self-conscious I have been when trying to take a photo! I had to try it a few times with the camera in different positions in the trolley, different lengths of exposure and various walking speeds. I'm surprised I didn't get asked what I was doing :D

Motion, great shot, choosing a supermarket has given some lovely variation in the colours.

Back