weekly Martin's 2018 52 Challenge

Hi Martin,

Shadow - Love the simplicity and blueness of it.
Beautiful - #2 for me, it's an Alpine Chocolate bar wrapper scene. I bet that could do well on Stock.

Nice of you to say so. I have taken your suggestion as it is something I've been meaning to look into for years and never got round to it and that's to upload some random stuff to Shutterstock and Alamy. It has now been done although Alamy required three pictures so I had to rummage around for some other quality ones (or at least I think quality; they may say different). So that's something off my bucket list. Ta.

Shadow ... Oh nice find (y)

Beautiful ... both v. nice but the first looks wonky, I could be an illusion. o_O

Edit ... the first being the one with the water.

Last edited:
Shadow ... Oh nice find (y)

Beautiful ... both v. nice but the first looks wonky, I could be an illusion. o_O

Edit ... the first being the one with the water.

It does look wonky and I tried to straighten it up and then it just doesn't look right at all. The image as seen is the correct image and is perfectly level but the problem is that the mountains on the left are nearer and the reservoir follows the base of them leading to a strange optical effect -- so it looks wonky, but isn't.

I like your shadow shot, but I'm not sure if I like the blue tinge. Have you tried setting the white balance so that the window frames are white?

The version of beautiful with the offending spot cloned out is amazing, great details in the mountains!

I like your shadow shot, but I'm not sure if I like the blue tinge. Have you tried setting the white balance so that the window frames are white?

The version of beautiful with the offending spot cloned out is amazing, great details in the mountains!

Thanks for the comments. Between you and me, the shadow shot was taken with my camera accidentally set to flourescent lighting. The deck was indeed blue but so, I'm afraid, is everything else. Shh, don't tell anyone I made a cockup.

Low A low point for me on Saturday. These are some of my bees having swarmed and later on the same day buggered off to pastures new after me keeping them warm and fed right through the winter -- ingrates!

Ironically, if they had truly been 'low' I could have recovered them and returned them to another hive but they were four metres up in the trees and all I could do was look at them.

Low-1 by gorgon703, on Flickr

Match. This is a rubbish phone picture taken on the fly. The picture quality is awful but the subject matter is so sweet.

Match by gorgon703, on Flickr

Musical. This is me with my guitar. I thought I'd mess about with Lightroom's effects and ended up with this for good or ill. Shame the guitar is a burnt out but there is no detail in the original image either,

Music-1 by gorgon703, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

Low - I guess you're used to handling bees, but you wouldn't get me that close to them!
Plenty of detail when viewed up close.
Match - As you say, not the greatest composition, but you did a better job of getting two animals together than I did :)
Musical - Blowing out the body of the guitar was an artistic choice surely :) I think it works in a gritty way, with the strong eye contact.

No good for the Low theme but ... a frame full of bees only might be nice. :) ... (like Tim, I don't like to get too close)

Geetar .... yep gritty. :)

Nice catch-up Martin! My favourite great eye contact and the graininess and the blown guitar add character to the photo!

Thank you for all your comments. I have been remiss as I have been away but I'll try to do some commenting shortly.

both hard shots are great ideas. i prefer the not so hard one. the only thing that bothers me is the chair in the background. Hard hat is a cool idea on something mundane. very clever.

It's funny how when one takes a picture it requires someone else to point out the glaringly obvious; you are right about the chair.

Like them both, good idea to do something with a sledgehammer .... should you have one handy. (y)

Hard hat it is, for me, a good take on the theme, good idea to use the soft hat and the big hammer.

This is an archive image, I took it about three years ago and haven't found a place to put it since. The ant carried this fly around for at least half an hour. I watched it for a while and wondered if I had time to go and get my camera and get back in time and yes, it was still wandering about with it (my garden is 100 metres from my house so it took some time). After I took the picture(s) I watched it for ten minutes before it finally fell off the table and I didn't see it again. Strange behaviour indeed,

AntAndFly by gorgon703, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well captured, as you say strange behaviour, I was wondering what was going on when I first saw it.

That's one HARD critter that ant there! Two themes in one :)

hart - the hard hat for me, great photo with a bit of humour!
creatures - wow, what a photo, archive or not (y)

Hi Martin, like you catching up.

Juxaposition, it fits with the explanation, colour balance looks wrong. Why would someone buy such a small coffee maker.

Oval, nice colours and detail, oval of the bottle top is a nice contrast with the straight lines behind it.

Straight, different take on theme, lots of details in the leather and laces. does look like its all acock but that does not distract from the image as a whole.

Unattractive, nice Image, lots of detail in the compass, not sure on the link to the unattractive theme as I'm sure the south Pole has lots going for it.

Shadow, not much wrong with the image, only the crop at the top / left may be better.

Beautiful, 2 nice images, 1st does not seem level and right hand side is unbalanced, cropping that last mountain out may help. 2nd one has dust spot. Nicer colours and contrast.

Low, I take your comments as fitting the theme.

Match, spooning dogs, a good match on theme.

Music, love the eye contact and grain in the image.

Hard, you have a well used hammer there doing its job. Hard Hat, love the idea.

Creature, fits the theme and well done for getting the shot.

Pete.

Hi Martin, like you catching up.

Juxaposition, it fits with the explanation, colour balance looks wrong. Why would someone buy such a small coffee maker.

To make espresso for one

Oval, nice colours and detail, oval of the bottle top is a nice contrast with the straight lines behind it.

Straight, different take on theme, lots of details in the leather and laces. does look like its all acock but that does not distract from the image as a whole.

Unattractive, nice Image, lots of detail in the compass, not sure on the link to the unattractive theme as I'm sure the south Pole has lots going for it.

The compass finds the South Pole unattractive hence it's pointing away

Shadow, not much wrong with the image, only the crop at the top / left may be better.

Beautiful, 2 nice images, 1st does not seem level and right hand side is unbalanced, cropping that last mountain out may help. 2nd one has dust spot. Nicer colours and contrast.

Low, I take your comments as fitting the theme.

Match, spooning dogs, a good match on theme.

Music, love the eye contact and grain in the image.

Hard, you have a well used hammer there doing its job. Hard Hat, love the idea.

Creature, fits the theme and well done for getting the shot.

Pete.

Last edited:
Hard
(hard hat)
That's a great shot, well thought out.

Creatures
Another cracking shot.

Two really strong images for Hard, Martin, and both convey the idea really well. My favourite is Hard Hat because of that lovely smooth background (apart from the chair and, as you say, it sometimes takes someone else to notice!) and the simplicity of just two foreground objects. Very effective (y)
Creatures is just fascinating and worth digging out of the archives.

more than a while ago :wideyed: sort of defeats the object of the challenge

Last edited:
Rural 1 A shot from the moors at the top of my village, rather hazy I'm afraid.

Rural-1 by gorgon703, on Flickr

Rural 2. Increasingly this is what rural is these days. It's not so bad in my area but to the North of Truro there is a place where you can see nine installations of these bloody blue panels. Wind turbines I rather like and once built almost all the land goes back to farming but with these things the best you can manage is few sheep. Also, since the panels are not designed to move they are really only any good for four or five hours on a sunny afternoon. Wind turbines go all day and all night (especially down here).

Rural-2 by gorgon703, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hazy .... jumble of uninteresting architecture in the FG, lush farmer's fields in the MG, can't see beyond that.

Hi Martin,
Perhaps a landscape shot where zooming in tight, rather than wide angle would have been better.
I'm guessing from your comments that the turbine could have been a feature perhaps?

Back