weekly Nostromo TP52 (2017) Wk 52: Weather

So i'm late to the party this week, but only by two days. I've been busy, busy, busy. Well here it is, it may not be to everyones (or anyones) taste. I found the lighting really hard to get right and i'm still not too sure it is (for the theme of dark, i can't believe i'm talking about lighting).

effects x 4 crop by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I really like that excellent PP, just enough light for me, the colour is really good too

Dark, got to say Dominic I quite like this shot as a great dark BG and enough light to see the subject, maybe a slight shadows lift on the flowers :)
Thanks for the positive feedback. I had a go at the shadows, but there just isn't enough light to bring it back (even in the RAW file), i guess that's my fault. As I said, getting the lighting right was pretty tricky. I don't have much experience with my Speedlight, so doing this 52 is really helping.

I really like that excellent PP, just enough light for me, the colour is really good too
:agree: with Allan. Seems spot on to me. Just enough light and a somewhat dreamy look.
Thanks for looking and the feedback. If I've given you dreamy, then I've achieved the look i was after :)

Very atmospheric, looks almost like a painting (y)

I'm starting to bore myself with all my black backgrounds, so i've gone for white this time.
This was quite hard for me to do due to lots of pain in my elbows and forearms from tennis elbow, I've had it for weeks now and it isn't getting any better, so trying to crush the can was painful. But i worked though the pain barrier ;)
I wish i had checked the camera before taking this, i had left it set to jpeg only (i had been shooting some horse stuff for the wife at the weekend and she can't wait for me to edit, so i shoot in jpeg for her).
I found it very hard to do any thing with the highlights.
Power by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's an excellent choice for Dark Dominic ....I really like it, it does look like an artwork more than a photo. Love the idea for Power too, I don't know if you've taken many highlights out but it looks fine to me, it looks as if lots of effort is going into crushing that can, the pain was well worth it :)

Last edited:
Looks fine to me, well lit and a good take on the theme, we have to suffer for our art ;)

Dark - Has the potential to be a great shot, from what I can see the focus and composition is really good, but I'd like a little bit more light on the flowers to bring out the red.

Power - Well lit and good take on the theme (y)

Clever idea for power, nice, clean and sharp. The highlights don't bother me.

Dark, very nice low key lighting.

Power, Crushing a full can would show real power and it's only Fosters so it's not a waste... :D

(y)

Nothing to complain about in the .jpg shot, in-fact if you had removed the highlight on the bottom of the can it may have looked un-natural.
Be careful with that tennis elbow, it takes an age to recover. I had it for about 18 months - in-fact it influenced by choice of long lens purchase last year.

Nothing to complain about in the .jpg shot, in-fact if you had removed the highlight on the bottom of the can it may have looked un-natural.
Be careful with that tennis elbow, it takes an age to recover. I had it for about 18 months - in-fact it influenced by choice of long lens purchase last year.
Thanks for the feedback. I did remove a big highlight from the top of the can, but as you say to remove the others would have made it unnatural.
Thankfully the tennis elbow hasn't as yet effected holding my camera, but it does make work quite hard.

Above

This my home town Bridgnorth. There are two parts to it, High town (where i was standing) and low town (obviously below me)

untitled-2 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

This is the shot i wanted to use, but just couldn't get the road in focus properly with such a slow shutter speed, hand held and leaning over the bridge.

untitled-37 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Shame about the second shot as that is pretty cool particular with the two different color cars passing at the same time. Like them both.

Hi Dominic

Power is a great idea ... in the true spirit of the 52s. (y)

Above ... nice view of the hometown, but #2 is my fave and I think the road is focused enough with the perfect amount of car motion blur. Red car/blue car in oposite directions, Perfect. :clap:

Shame about the second shot as that is pretty cool particular with the two different color cars passing at the same time. Like them both.
I do have a shot where the road is in focus (but with a single white car in it) and had thought about doing a bit of jiggery-pokery in PS to put these two cars in instead, but my PS skills are not that good.

Nice landscape shot, but the winner is in my opinion the road from above with differently coloured cars driving in different directions (y)

Presumably opposable thumbs? Nicely done, well lit with consistent placement of your hand.

Yes it's opposable thumbs.
Presumably opposable thumbs? Nicely done, well lit with consistent placement of your hand.
Placement of my hand was an absolute nightmare. Working on your own, with no flip/swivel lcd screen, outside in the breeze (that kept on blowing the white card background over) and failing light. Many, many, many photos were taken. I had to do the sequence of 4 before looking at the screen, so that my hand was in the same place for each of the 4 shots.

Had this idea myself but couldn't figure out a way to represent it, You have, really good :notworthy:

Great idea and very well executed, nothing at all to criticise!

Back