weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2019 - Week 52 : Out-takes and Year 2 Complete

Hi Dave,

New - Perfect for the topic and a nicely composed shot. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the details in each of the prints.
Clean - Lol! I think we can all understand that feeling! The lighting feels a touch harsh for me.
Open - A good clean shot. Especially by the look of how low the light was. Fits perfectly and well framed.
Distant - A lovely place that I have spent much time at and never seen a steam train! The bright white steam works perfectly against the background of and the layers of cloud. Nice (y)

I've never been to Ribblehead but I can certainly understand the appeal and that shot of Leander does indeed show why so many images are taken there. :)
The railway becomes part of the scenery.

Open - The commuter shot is good plenty of interest and whats not to like about steam trains

Very interesting image and well taken. Really beautiful scene and lots of smoke to add detail. I find myself leaning in to the screen to try and see it closer, which must mean it's a goodun!

Open - The commuter shot is good plenty of interest and whats not to like about steam trains

Ta :)

Very interesting image and well taken. Really beautiful scene and lots of smoke to add detail. I find myself leaning in to the screen to try and see it closer, which must mean it's a goodun!

Cheers :)

Wider than I would have shot if the theme hadn’t been there to guide me. It works I think :)

Very nice you must have had to wait a little while for this capture. the train on the viaduct is brilliant.

Very nice you must have had to wait a little while for this capture. the train on the viaduct is brilliant.

Thanks. It was 45min late - the wind was howling and rain was lashing. Worth it though - just :)

Hi Dave,

Two very different dramatic shots for open and distant. Really like the dark colours in open. Everything is very sharp for what I imagine was tricky light and well done for not having odd bits of elbows etc in the shot :D Lovely scene for Distant, Train in just the right spot on the viaduct and the smoke really adds to the effect. :D

Spot on for me and my favourite so far. Love these old steam trains very majestic

Thanks Chris :)

Hi Dave,

Two very different dramatic shots for open and distant. Really like the dark colours in open. Everything is very sharp for what I imagine was tricky light and well done for not having odd bits of elbows etc in the shot :D Lovely scene for Distant, Train in just the right spot on the viaduct and the smoke really adds to the effect. :D

Cheers - much appreciated.

Lovely wide perspective on that shot

Distant is very nice, maybe a better perspective on the bridge so you can see the arches more.

Very nice indeed - the train chugging off into the distance

A classic image probably on many's bucket list. Lovely that you are near enough to visit it

New - lovely composition, camera subject just a little too dark and doesn’t stand out for me, gets a little lost in the image.
Clean -already commented
Open 1 - really love the tones and composition in this.
Distant - you have captured a great moody sky, Bridge is a tiny bit too dark.

Thanks for the comments - it WAS dark for the bridge shot. I've lightened it as mush as I dare.

Distant is a cracking image Dave and very well taken too, love the smoke against the moody sky.

Cheers Dave.

Excellent shot Dave. I love the trail of steam along the route of the train to lead through the image

Ta muchly :)

It’s an impressive piece of engineering well captured, went there a couple of years ago never saw a train but then we did pass by accident as it were

Thanks Allan - not much chance of an accidental sighting! Real Time Trains is worth a look before you set off. No signal up there!

Hi Dave

clean
that works so well in black and white, nicely done
open
Like it, very well captured
Love this, b+w works great. Is the ELR your local railway? 80080 is currently being run in at Butterly, Midland Railway centre not far from me after overhaul, it will be going to the ELR soon for a long stint.
Distant
That's very nice, I like the wide field of view.

Thanks @michael23 - Yes - the ELR is jusrt 40min away and my "Goto" for heritage railway stuff. I wondered why I hadn't seen 80080 for a while :)

Week 5: COLD

I worked at a local beer festival yesterday doing the official photography.

"Pour me a COLD one!"

Pour me a cold one by Dave Green, on Flickr

I like the take on the theme. I'd rather have seen this in landscape format so that the whole pint glass is in the shot, and maybe keep the server in focus too. But, yep good idea.

Thanks - it was a quick candid grab shot - but I got the focus where I wanted it :D

Very nice Dave - great shot with good bokeh and detail. Love me a real ale!

Make that two! Good candid capture. Looks like it was cold beer and cold there going by the lady's jacket. Cheers!!

Sits well with the theme Dave, I wasn’t too sure about the pump as I didn’t realise it was a little battered. Must get transported around a lot.

Make that two! Good candid capture. Looks like it was cold beer and cold there going by the lady's jacket. Cheers!!

Thanks - yes and yes!

Sits well with the theme Dave, I wasn’t too sure about the pump as I didn’t realise it was a little battered. Must get transported around a lot.

Cheers :)

It wasn't the only thing battered by the end haha! Let's just say - the camera angles got a little "creative" as the session progressed :D

Love the reflections on the pump.
Well placed focus plane too, good use of DoF for separation.
Did you ask her to rotate the glass so that the red lettering was visible?
It really makes the shot for me...nicely done Dave!(y)

Ta - the placement of the glass was pure luck :)

Works well for the theme Dave, good use of the focus on the glass it helps distract from that right arm.

Thanks - I focused on the beer name - the glass just happened to be in the same focal plane. And the beer was very yummy!

Cold
I like the idea and for the theme it works well.

Thanks - toggin beer festivals is hard work, what with all that free beer! :D

Very nice Dave - great shot with good bokeh and detail. Love me a real ale!
That's not real ale, it's a keg beer!
Some kind of stout maybe?

Appreciate it was a opportunist shot Dave, but I tend to agree with the comment about needing deeper DoF.
I do like the detail in the battered pump though:)

That's not real ale, it's a keg beer!
Some kind of stout maybe?

Appreciate it was a opportunist shot Dave, but I tend to agree with the comment about needing deeper DoF.
I do like the detail in the battered pump though:)

It's craft beer - and yes - a chocolate stout - 7.4% - VERY nice! :)

Last edited:
Thought I`d already commented. Cold is a cool take on theme with the main focus on the glass and like the oof barstaff.

Back