weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

I like the Christ shot, a nice angle, as if he's looking down at you. The leaf is a bit special, a great take on the theme. The lights viewed through it give it something extra. The lighthouse shot takes the scenic prize for me. I'm a sucker for those wide shots. Nice choice of foreground, and the sky is really nice.

Thanks Nick.

Hi Stan... you have a couple of cracking scenic shots for me here. I'll be honest and say "not quite as they're shot" but they only need a tweak IMO to make them totally stunning.

For me, the favourite is your second image of the castle with the "V" of the valley leading up to it. If you used a longer lens (or cropped) and just had that V and the castle, with a bit of purple sky behind, that'd be a stunner. I'm probably talking about losing a sliver off the left, maybe 1/4 or 1/3 on the right, another 1/3 off the top and maybe 10-15% off the bottom. Quite a serious crop but I think the resultuing image would be stronger.

I also love the lighthouse/rocks setting - your choice and instinct for spots is bang on. The only thing letting this down for me is I'd love to see it at sunrise/sunset (depending on where the sun ends up). The golden glow off the rocks would make this an absolute stunner!

Thanks Paul for the in depth critique. Will try to give the castle crop a go when time available.

Sunday was the only day I was able to get out for scenic shots this week. I was out of the house pretty early hoping to catch a sun rise shot but the weather didn't played ball that morning so decided to wait around and that was the shot I ended up with.

I was planning to take a walk along the beach looking for some shots of couples doing the same but in the end opted for something similar. There are two small loches in the estate and this time of the year the ducks are starting to pairing up. When I walked along the water edge most of the duck were in the water apart from these two.

Week 04 - Love Is In The Air

While I was taking shots of the ducks I noticed some seagulls standing on the partially frozen water with their shadows. So I decided to take a selfie!

Week 04 - My Constant Companion

Nice shots- like the shadow one, always with you great idea

Hi there - nice composition of the ducks, really like the DoF on it. Loving the selfie too - good take on the theme!

"My constant companion" ... haha love it.

The ducks look good, perfect for the theme, but personally I'd like to see the OOF FG cropped and therefore a little off the LHS for good measure.

Yep shadow for me too, very clever (y)

I was thinking of doing the shadow thing but it was overcast and raining and my 'constant' companion had strangely left me alone in the drizzle. :)

#2 for me. Great idea and not one that would have ever crossed my mind. Nice long shadow and clean BG.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Only after I've noticed the gulls and taken this shot that inspired me to do a self!:)

I was thinking of doing the shadow thing but it was overcast and raining and my 'constant' companion had strangely left me alone in the drizzle. :)

Thanks Martin. I look foreword to seeing your version.

Shadow is a stroke of genius never thought of that at all :)

Gaz

Nice selfie. Well spotted seeing the ducks together.

The shadow shot is a great idea. Central composition works well, as does the mono conversion. I know it's daft, and would be bloody hard, but I'd be twice as impressed if it had twice as many arms!

Hi Stan :)

Scenic - For me it is certainly the seascape, i'm really liking the rocks in the foreground and the jetty cutting across the frame with the light house on, nice blue sky too :)

Companion - Nice duck shot, but that shadow idea is superb, a great simple idea and the elongated crop just works so well, like it (y)

The shadow shot is a great idea. Central composition works well, as does the mono conversion. I know it's daft, and would be bloody hard, but I'd be twice as impressed if it had twice as many arms!

Thanks Nick for the comments. Could do with one of those 'Gopro' camera body strap would help to free my other hand.

Hi Stan :)

Scenic - For me it is certainly the seascape, i'm really liking the rocks in the foreground and the jetty cutting across the frame with the light house on, nice blue sky too :)

Companion - Nice duck shot, but that shadow idea is superb, a great simple idea and the elongated crop just works so well, like it (y)

Thanks Dean for the kind words. Know what you mean about sometimes a plain simple image would just works.

Companions

Like the shadow photo, great thinking outside the box Stan.

Thanks Darren for the comments.

Hi Stan - cracking idea with the shadow! Of the two, I prefer the ducks though

Thanks Lorraine, I can't decide which one I prefer but glad you like both.

Hi Stan

long time no visit...sorry :arghh:

Scenic....#1 for me all the way.....I'm really keen on seascapes at the moment & this one ticks most of the boxes for me..some great clouds , bit of movement in the water crashing over the rocks & good foreground interest (y) crit.....not sure as I'm viewing on laptop but I think it could handle a boost in saturation slightly ? Suspect this would be a fab spot when the tide's just going out...so you get glistening rocks maybe sunset or sunrise ?

Companion......shadow shot for me...minimal , simple & very effective :clap:

Hi Stan

long time no visit...sorry :arghh:

Scenic....#1 for me all the way.....I'm really keen on seascapes at the moment & this one ticks most of the boxes for me..some great clouds , bit of movement in the water crashing over the rocks & good foreground interest (y) crit.....not sure as I'm viewing on laptop but I think it could handle a boost in saturation slightly ? Suspect this would be a fab spot when the tide's just going out...so you get glistening rocks maybe sunset or sunrise ?

Companion......shadow shot for me...minimal , simple & very effective :clap:

Thanks Lynne for the kind words

Week 05 - Elegant

Marischal College is one of the more attractive, grandeur and elegant buildings of my hometown currently the headquarters of the local council. Formerly the seat of Aberdeen University founded in 1593 and is the second largest granite building in the world.

Another view from the other side.

Not sure about this one apart from the street furnitures which not much I can't do about it. The light on the right is blown too.

Last edited:
I like your seascape image for scenic. I like the low view point which makes the rocks seem larger and emphasizes the purpose of the lighthouse like someone else has already mentioned. I like your idea for the portrait image of the castle to show the cliffs, but it hasn't worked for me. The grass in the bottom right of the frame is a little messy and the castle looks a little lost in the frame.

I like your seascape image for scenic. I like the low view point which makes the rocks seem larger and emphasizes the purpose of the lighthouse like someone else has already mentioned. I like your idea for the portrait image of the castle to show the cliffs, but it hasn't worked for me. The grass in the bottom right of the frame is a little messy and the castle looks a little lost in the frame.

Thanks Steve, I presumed you are commenting on the edited version? Agree the foreground is a bit of a mess what I was trying to project is the scenic location of the castle. It's located on top of a rocky headland surrounded by high cliffs and deep gorges.

Hi Stn, an elegant building indeed. As you say, it's a shame they have to clutter the streets up with all those signs. It's probably just my eyes, but is the first one a little soft?

Hi Stn, an elegant building indeed. As you say, it's a shame they have to clutter the streets up with all those signs. It's probably just my eyes, but is the first one a little soft?

Hi Lorraine, thanks for the comments. I think the softness could be due to the image reduction process from a 24mb to 1.2mb file size. I upload from Photobucket in this instant but will try Flickr later.

I think I prefer the subtle processing on the 2nd one, but as you said its a shame about the "furniture" though.

Hi, second one for me the converging lines work better than in the first though the edges of the building look a little odd

Hi Stan ... an elegant building indeed, nice sky and floodlights ... and quirky perspective.

Standing there 300 year's ago would have been great.

I like #2, reminds me of a scene from The Walking Dead. I really like the cool, blueness.

Cheers.

I think I prefer the subtle processing on the 2nd one, but as you said its a shame about the "furniture" though.

Thanks Chris.

Hi, second one for me the converging lines work better than in the first though the edges of the building look a little odd

Thanks Allan. Yes, it does look a bit odd.

Hi Stan ... an elegant building indeed, nice sky and floodlights ... and quirky perspective.

Thanks David. It was snowing on and off that day and I wasn't sure I was able to take those shots. I ended up sitting in my car for 45 minutes waiting for the sky to clear and luckily for me during the blue hour too.

Standing there 300 year's ago would have been great.

I like #2, reminds me of a scene from The Walking Dead. I really like the cool, blueness.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Although the university was founded in 1593 but that building itself was only built iduring 1840's

Another two fitting images for elegant Stan, #1 being my favourite, the Horse statue looks pretty elegant too,
I would have been tempted to use that as a main foreground, with low angle shot catching the upper half of the building and blue sky in the back,
still two great images as they are though.
Cracking idea with the shadow btw.

Back