weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

Elegant - I can only agree what others have said about the image.

Thanks Mandy for dropping by and commenting.

Another two fitting images for elegant Stan, #1 being my favourite, the Horse statue looks pretty elegant too,
I would have been tempted to use that as a main foreground, with low angle shot catching the upper half of the building and blue sky in the back,
still two great images as they are though.
Cracking idea with the shadow btw.

Thanks Barney, that was one of my idea also but I though in this case I like to showcase the whole building elegant. The statue is Robert the Bruce btw.

both images work for me. how rude of them to put a bus stop in front of such an elegant building ;)

I prefer #2 even with the street furniture although I have to admit I'm not a great fan of skewed perspective due to wide angle shooting, but that's personal preference. in #1 I find the RHS side a little distracting and would have been tempted to crop the edge of the tower.

What a great looking building!
Such a shame that the drab everyday things have to be put in the way.

Oh....and love the shadow shot for "companions" :)

both images work for me. how rude of them to put a bus stop in front of such an elegant building ;)

Thanks Mandy.

I prefer #2 even with the street furniture although I have to admit I'm not a great fan of skewed perspective due to wide angle shooting, but that's personal preference. in #1 I find the RHS side a little distracting and would have been tempted to crop the edge of the tower.

Thanks Jill and much appreciate your comments. Skew perspective; a side effect of wide angle lens.

What a great looking building!
Such a shame that the drab everyday things have to be put in the way.

Oh....and love the shadow shot for "companions" :)

Thank you Ruth.

The slower exposure, for me, adds a certain "spookiness" to the image...so that wins for me!

Although I normally like the longer exposures, in this case I like the No1 slightly better because it emphasises the scene, and makes it appear more dramatic, with the spray bursting over the wreck.
Nice layers of cloud in the first too. I take its that some sort of light buoy to warn of shallow water :rolleyes:.
Because of the longer exposure on the wreck the detail on the deck is more visible, so maybe you could lift the exposure on the wreck a bit other than that works fine.... Very Watery!
Nice Work

Reactions: rpn
I like the both images, but the latter is cool as the spookiness matches with the 'watery grave' caption you have set on it, have you done any other edits like b&w and washed out, I think it would make the murkiness that little bit more eery. Either way I think they both fit the theme very well and are nicely captured.

Fantastic watery shots Stan, #1 is my favourite, but #2 does have a wonderful almost painted look, I'd certainly be happy with either of these images, Excellent work. (y)

Both very nice Stan, but the crashing waves for me,
its more dramatic IMO (y)

I like both versions.

Thanks, glad you like them.

The slower exposure, for me, adds a certain "spookiness" to the image...so that wins for me!

Thank you Ruth for dropping by and taking the time to comment.

Watery - Watery Grave?

Nice shot Stan, another vote for #2.
the longer exposure certainly adds to the image, just wonder if a B+W conversion would suit

Thanks Darren. Yes I did and here's the B&W version

Colour colour colour....make colour come back!! :arghh:

Well done Stan on thinking WATERY with a Y

#2 colour (y)

Although I normally like the longer exposures, in this case I like the No1 slightly better because it emphasises the scene, and makes it appear more dramatic, with the spray bursting over the wreck.
Nice layers of cloud in the first too. I take its that some sort of light buoy to warn of shallow water :rolleyes:.
Because of the longer exposure on the wreck the detail on the deck is more visible, so maybe you could lift the exposure on the wreck a bit other than that works fine.... Very Watery!
Nice Work

Thanks Steve and appreciated your comments. I agree with you about the unfiltered shot and that was my main aim to capture the waves washed over the wreck.

I like the both images, but the latter is cool as the spookiness matches with the 'watery grave' caption you have set on it, have you done any other edits like b&w and washed out, I think it would make the murkiness that little bit more eery. Either way I think they both fit the theme very well and are nicely captured.

Thanks Nathan, I only decided to take the 10-stop shot to try out the cheap filter I bought recently. Glad I did because the end result is actually better than Lee's big-Stopper and without any major colour cast.

Fantastic watery shots Stan, #1 is my favourite, but #2 does have a wonderful almost painted look, I'd certainly be happy with either of these images, Excellent work. (y)

Thanks Barney for the comments, pleased you like both shots.

a couple of lovely shots Stan, I prefer the first as I think having the waves crashing onto the wreck gives it impact...the second one does have an eerie feel to it though...:)

Oooo it's the misty watery shot for me Stan, very creepy, would look stunning with the buoy thing cloned out - Love it (y)

Thanks Dean, good point about the marker and I may give that a go later.

Lovely shots.

First time I looked I thought that #1 was better but the more I look at it the more I love #2.

Thank you David, like me I can't decide which one I prefer and hence the reason I posted up two for others to pick.

a couple of lovely shots Stan, I prefer the first as I think having the waves crashing onto the wreck gives it impact...the second one does have an eerie feel to it though...:)

Thanks Lorraine, glad you like them both.

Hi Stan, both shots work for me but I do think the second is a better image. I agree with Dark Knight about cloning out the structure, it does seem to distract the eye a little. Good Job

Hi Stan... Companions is a nice shot. Good positioning in the frame and lovely DOF choice. Bokeh in background does look nervous - have I mentioned that before?? Might be sharpening either in processing or forum/flickr?

Love the shadow shot though - really good take, super processing and no crit!

I do like your reframing of Dunnottar castle... stronger image for me although noise is a bit of an issue?

Lovely shot of Marischal College for Elegant. Only suggestion would be to correct the verticals using the distortion tool in LR/PS etc. Or go out and buy a view camera and use the tilt & shift features to correct in camera ;)

Watery - B&W for me! And I'd crop in a bit too, but a great spot.

Some really good shots there :)

Hi Stan, both shots work for me but I do think the second is a better image. I agree with Dark Knight about cloning out the structure, it does seem to distract the eye a little. Good Job

Thanks Phil.

Hi Stan... Companions is a nice shot. Good positioning in the frame and lovely DOF choice. Bokeh in background does look nervous - have I mentioned that before?? Might be sharpening either in processing or forum/flickr?

Love the shadow shot though - really good take, super processing and no crit!

I do like your reframing of Dunnottar castle... stronger image for me although noise is a bit of an issue?

Lovely shot of Marischal College for Elegant. Only suggestion would be to correct the verticals using the distortion tool in LR/PS etc. Or go out and buy a view camera and use the tilt & shift features to correct in camera ;)

Watery - B&W for me! And I'd crop in a bit too, but a great spot.

Some really good shots there :)

Thanks Paul for the in-depth critiques and comments.

I prefer the original in B&W. Looks a little soft, as if the camera moved slightly. I'd have had to process the whateveritis on the RHS out.

Cheers.

The colour edit of number two for me. Bang on theme and nicely shot. Good stuff.

Watery - liking your edits, I am going to vote for the second one. I think the black an white suits the image.

I prefer the original in B&W. Looks a little soft, as if the camera moved slightly. I'd have had to process the whateveritis on the RHS out.

Cheers.

Thank you all for the comments and much appreciated.

Yes Andy, it was very windy that day and there was camera movement. The 10-stop long exposure doesn't help either.

Companions - Excellent nature/wildlife shot but also a good fit to the theme. The positioning, DoF and exposure are all spot one. Nice one.

Elegant - Good architectural shot utilising the blue hour well. The colours of the building suit the blueness of sky nicely. It’s just a shame about the bus stop but there’s nothing you can do about that

Watery - The colour longer exposure for me. The wider view also provides more of a sense of the sea as well.

hi Stan

elegant - I love both shots but the 1st is my fave because the sky on the windows makes it look like it's just a façade, very nice. I love castles so scenic Dunnottar is just right :)

watery I like the first two maybe the 2nd one slightly more. I think the marker adds perspective :)

Hi Stan,

I think you have done justice with the 10 stop filter. It certainly added a bit of mysteriousness to the image. I actually think the uncropped image works better. It seems to give a little bit more of a suggestion as to how the boat came to end up resting where she is. Good work :)

prefer the edited versions. Colour version is my preference for this image.

hi Stan

elegant - I love both shots but the 1st is my fave because the sky on the windows makes it look like it's just a façade, very nice. I love castles so scenic Dunnottar is just right :)

watery I like the first two maybe the 2nd one slightly more. I think the marker adds perspective :)

Hi Stan,

I think you have done justice with the 10 stop filter. It certainly added a bit of mysteriousness to the image. I actually think the uncropped image works better. It seems to give a little bit more of a suggestion as to how the boat came to end up resting where she is. Good work :)

prefer the edited versions. Colour version is my preference for this image.

Thank you all for the comments,

Hi Stan, another vote for #2 (in colour). I love long exposure stuff and I feel this is no exception. I think it adds an eerie feel to the 'watery grave' :)

I’m a bit short of ideas and inspirations for this week’s theme and was hoping to come across a pink Rolls Royce or similar for BOLD Statement but Lady Penelope and Parker don’t live anywhere near here! My next idea doesn’t turn out the way I was hoped for and so I went for my third choice.

This is the Aberdeen University library; Sir Duncan Rice Building. I’ve used this building for photography project before and also in here in 2011 52 Challenge Knowledge theme.

BOLD Architecture

Back