weekly SSU's TP52 for 2015

Very clever take on the subject :)
Shame you admitted it was a selfie, otherwise it would have come across as very well spotted too.

That would have been the coincidence of coincidences to actually find a horse called Alpha, that was running this weekend, that was a favourite and most of all, I that I was actually there to take the picture. Better to come clean from the outset. :) :)

Alphabet.
I'll admit it took me ages to see it.....But well thought out!

oh dear I was about to say that bookies hate having their pic taken and always look grumpy *blush* good job I was polite and just said what a clever chap you are :clap: great idea :)

Another clever interpretation (y)
(Even if the bookie doesn't look best pleased :D )

Close up - I see what you mean now. Great lighting and contact with the viewer.

Vertical is well on theme, and although accidental, the dog gives it a sense of scale. I wasn't keen at first, until I clicked through and viewed it large, where the detail really brings it to life. I really like fade in the blue as it approaches the top of the frame.

Clever idea for Alphabet too. Harsh light, but that just gives it a candid feel.

Alph - bet ... HaHa ... your interpretations are clever Martin, nicely staged too. (y)

Alphabet :clap: very clever and a nice shot

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s7xnhp]Minions (4) by gorgon703, on Flickr[/URL]

This might be a bit of a cop-out but when I took this picture there was no wind and in the distance I could hear sheep baaing (is that the word?), a tractor moving throught the fields in the distance, the sound of a chainsaw hewing trees on the other side of the hill. The silence was a sound in itself and made me feel very lucky to live where I now do.

Alphabet is a very clever interpretation and Sound, not really a cop out for me, as your explanation has mentioned the sounds of the countryside which are there in the background but dont detract from the silence.

Hi Martin
Your image for sound is lovely, however without the explanation I'd have never associated it with the theme.
But hey, that's what interpretation is all about!
It's vertainly a beautiful view. :)

Hi Martin

Sound....yup, countryside sounds are heavenly, another here that needed the words to make the connection but then, maybe I needed to think harder !

Alpha bet......brilliant idea & well thought out...:clap:

Hi Martin - I love your sound shot, that's a smashing landscape. I first thought it was sounds of silence, but the sounds of the countryside are great - very relaxing

Sound - Nice shot, however as others needed the explanation to relate it the theme, Maybe if the objects that were making the sounds were present might make a bit more sense, but hey its all in the interpretation of the photographer. Well taken all the same (y)

Hi Martin

Close Up - Very good SP, rally like the way you have lit this one :)

Re-Shoot - Really like you dog in the pic, that's one hell of a mast !!!

Alphabet - Great idea, nicely staged, works real well for me (y)

Sound - I see where you were coming from with this one, I feel a much wider crop would give more of a feel of wide openness, but still like the idea :)

You spoilt it. I was imagining the sounds of silence . Seriously image works, good interpretation.

Experiment. I couldn't for the life of me find a bell that I could include in the picture so you'll have to imagine one just out of shot. The experiment is a reconstruction of one of Pavlov's where he caused dogs to salivate when they heard the sound of a bell even when there was no food to be had.

We didn't use a bell here but a piece of roast pork seemed to work quite well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s3HTi8]Experiment by gorgon703, on Flickr[/URL]

Hi, thats a great shot, the intense stare and the salivating, nice take on the theme

by the way your link back to this page isn't working

Thanks Allan, fixed the link now.

Nothing like roast pork for getting the dog staring.

Hi Martin,
On a major catch up here and haven't stopped by for a while so apologies for that!
So I'm off right back to Crowd!
Crowd... Love that sense of humour;) I see you used to watch Blue Peter too (What no Fairy Liquid bottle?) Nice bit of construction work there. If I was going to Crit it would be that id stand the background further back and use a slightly shallower DOF to throw the background cloth OOF. Plus a bit of WB tweaking... (I never used to do this always relied the pre-sets, silly really now I always check and tweak as required).
Close Up... Love the lighting on this shot! Very imposing photo I think with great composition. Fits the theme well(y)
Alphabet... Cracker ;). Love the thinking, nothing like the challenge of thinking out of the box as they call it nowadays! Well lit, focus spot on works for me!
Sound... I get this and love the concept. I am assuming that this was an early morning shot, as there appears to be a misty haze across the shot, looks like there's a frost on some of those fields too! Sunlight just starting to creep across the valley. Nice view and indeed a lovely place to live... Guess that was an early morning dog walk?
Experiment... That's a really good picture of the dog (saliva aside:)) Nice texture in the fur, and I love the way dogs eyes are hypnotically focused! My friend Golden Retrievers used to salivate for a living:)..... Pork ... Bell I'm sure the dog could tell the difference;)

Nice Work Martin(y)

Hi Martin, a very clever idea and well shot - I hope your dog got his (or her) reward for delivering the goods :)

Experiment, Pavlov was one of the first psychologist I learned about.

I would not have got the connection, but it's been a long day.

Nice conversion, good detail and tones in the dog and well captured drool.

Cheers.

Yeah actually that drool would have fitted the vertical theme well too!

Heat
http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/ssMW4...ople/26241668@N07/]gorgon703[/url], on Flickr
http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/ssMW4...ople/26241668@N07/]gorgon703[/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/ssMW4j]Heat by gorgon703, on Flickr[/URL]

Running a bit behind at the moment so had to put in this picture taken on a phone last night while burning all sorts of stuff on the chimnea. The quality of the picture is unimprovable but I think it fits the theme because I can tell you, that fire was bloody hot!

Hi Martin, yep, that screams heat (I'm surprised the fire brigade didn't arrive). And I'm not an expert on phone pics (I can barely get mine to behave when I try to take a photo), it looks a bit faded to me, but I don't think there's much you could do about that. I might be tempted to remove whatever it is in the bottom left if that's possible as it's a little distracting :)

Hi Martin, thanks for visiting my thread. I haven't completed my catch-up yet but I thought I really should return the compliment.

Firstly, I really like your image for Pattern - especially after the edit to increase the contrast, which really brought out the pattern and the textures. I also really enjoyed the atmosphere and mood of your image for Companions and the back story, while Elegant, Relax, Close-up, Alphabet and Experiment are well thought out and different takes on the themes. I love your Watery image as our dog is a nutter for swimming, Sound is a lovely image and your explanation evokes those sounds of the countryside, while Heat needs no further explanation!

I'll look out for your new images in the weeks ahead.

Experiment - not a great fan of the drool, but otherwise a nice image that works well in b/w.

Heat - It certainly looks hot! As Lorraine said, I find the object in the bottom left corner somewhat distracting and would be tempted to clone it out and also crop a bit from both the top and bottom to give the whole image more conventional proportions.

Alphabet - Good record shot and portrait for the theme. Was the guy scrolling at you for taking the image or did you ask him to look that stern? LOL

Sound - What a fantastic view from your house. I didn’t get the connection until I read it but sound of silence can sometimes be the best type

Experiment - A great profile portrait of your pet with some fantastic drooling LOL. Mine can often be like that in front of food. Loving the eyes in this shot

Heat - You’ve definitely got this one going. It reminded me of this video that was doing the rounds recently

Hi Martin

Experiment - Blimey now that IS some drool[, the smell of a roast would do the same to me at the moment :)

Heat - Cracking flames but the figure to the left really needs cropping out for me, too much of just a snapshot feel to it, even though it was a snap a little crop/straighten would improve it for me :)

You are right DK, it is very snap-shotty but being very dark and being a camera phone shot I don't think it merited any work; I thought I'd jst post it and move on.

I'll have to come back to Figures as I have nothing at the moment but here is:

Household, or should I say House Sold :)

Household (1 of 1) by gorgon703, on Flickr

Last edited:
Haha, I got the pun straight away without the explanation :p It might benefit from a bit of pp to pump up the colours, but a very original take on the theme (y)

Back