Stevesc's 52 for 2017 - week 32, 33 & 34 added

mineral - nice macro, great sharpness on the kernels and salt. the natural contrast of the white and black works well too.
whole - spot on for the theme, minimalist approach on the colours works again well for this week. front focus for me too, well composed and nice angle
structure - i like the wood texture and grain, very interesting subject to look at. very nice lighting too, golden on the left, muted on the right

as always, great composition and lighting for every week and on theme. well done!

Nice idea for structure - that golf reflector really brought out the warmth of the wood and the dof works for me to highlight the lovely texture you've captured in the wood. We had a trip to London planned for Thursday too, but ducked out and went on Friday instead :)

Nice colour, I like the wood grain and the tight crop is good too.

mineral - nice macro, great sharpness on the kernels and salt. the natural contrast of the white and black works well too.
whole - spot on for the theme, minimalist approach on the colours works again well for this week. front focus for me too, well composed and nice angle
structure - i like the wood texture and grain, very interesting subject to look at. very nice lighting too, golden on the left, muted on the right

as always, great composition and lighting for every week and on theme. well done!
Cheers Dom.

Nice idea for structure - that golf reflector really brought out the warmth of the wood and the dof works for me to highlight the lovely texture you've captured in the wood. We had a trip to London planned for Thursday too, but ducked out and went on Friday instead :)

Thanks Emma, I would have ducked out if we had the choice to go on Friday :D.

Week 8 - Routine

Went to London with a couple of friends last Thursday and was hoping to get something for Routine this week. I got the one shot below but have been a bit undecided whether to use it or not. I don't think I framed it as well as I could have done (even with the big crop that it has had) but my only other option is to set up something at home so rather than doing that again this week I have stuck with this one. The original image had quite a bit more on the bottom but I felt that it took the focus from the faces of the group waiting which is really the point of the image, I was also unsure about the blurred women at the front, she does add some movement to the picture and to crop her out would make the image quite small so I have left her in.

Routine by Steve, on Flickr

It does the job for me, I like the reflection in the glass of the balcony and that most people are looking at mobile phones, that could be a routine in itself

fits the theme well, I agree about the reflection of the announcement boards in the glass

Routine, goes well in mono and love that most of them are on a mobile, like the reflections in the top part of the shot, also actually like the woman who is a blur coming in from the rhs :)
It does the job for me, I like the reflection in the glass of the balcony and that most people are looking at mobile phones, that could be a routine in itself
It fits the theme and the black and white treatment works too. Like the reflection, it gives the context of routine daily commuting.
I think the movement that you've captured (not just the woman at the front) makes it work. It gives it life.
fits the theme well, I agree about the reflection of the announcement boards in the glass
I like it too Steve and it's absolutely spot on for the topic, they all look pretty bored with their daily routine ... what did we do before mobile phones, such a big percentage using them ....as Chris says that suits the theme in itself.

Thanks for the positive feedback, to be fair to everyone on the phones I think it might have been because there was some distruptions due to Storm Doris messing up the trains....although I imagine there would be a fair few on phones anyway.

Disruption or not, it says routine. An interesting image. (y)

Well captured Steve and it makes me glad I'm retired. I'd hate to go through all that again. Lots of detail and the movement blur gives it that je ne sais quois

Week 9 - Numbers

Tried something new for this week. Used off camera flash to achieve this, there are a few things that aren't quite right but for the time I had and the quick set up I am fairly pleased how this came out. Definetely something to have another go at sometime.

numbers (dice) by Steve, on Flickr

Will try and catch up on some comments over the next few days.

Most extraordinary ... all gooey, sticky toffee ... top effect. (y)

Great idea and very well done. Might try something like that myself one wet afternoon for a bit of fun.

Ooh, I like that a lot Steve. Great sense of movement and the processing is fab.
Thank you :)

Most extraordinary ... all gooey, sticky toffee ... top effect. (y)
Cheers (y)

Great idea and very well done. Might try something like that myself one wet afternoon for a bit of fun.

Thanks, it was a mix of fun and frustrating. Definitely going to have a go at it again sometime though.

Really like this, Steve. Great job, and cool colour too (y)

very interesting effect with a great sense of motion. I can't quite imagine how you did it, I would have though a flash would remove the motion blur and freeze the action

Really like this, Steve. Great job, and cool colour too (y)

Love this one, great motion blur but also good clear focus on the dice and a great BG too :)
Cheers, the BG took some work to clean in editing and there are still patches that annoy me. One of the things I want to sort if I do it again.

very interesting effect with a great sense of motion. I can't quite imagine how you did it, I would have though a flash would remove the motion blur and freeze the action
I had a torch on one side to catch the dice movement and a flash set to rear curtain to freeze the dice, lots of trial and error as well.

steve......no dice!! (y) epic capture
Thanks Frank :D

I love the effect that you have achieved! Great sense of movement and great colours. I'll have to try something like this at some point...

A very good idea and well finished.
I wonder just how many takes though ? ;)

That dice shot is something special - the colour and highlighted twists are as David said like toffee. I like the routine shot too - the stillness of the crowd on their phones contrasts well with the blur of the woman with somewhere to go.

I love the effect that you have achieved! Great sense of movement and great colours. I'll have to try something like this at some point...
Thanks Bernd, definetly worth giving it a go.

A very good idea and well finished.
I wonder just how many takes though ? ;)
Cheers Mark, I took about 80 shots, most of those were trying to get the lighting right to get a trail and freeze the dice. Once I got the set up I took about 20 shots but ran out of time to try any more.

That dice shot is something special - the colour and highlighted twists are as David said like toffee. I like the routine shot too - the stillness of the crowd on their phones contrasts well with the blur of the woman with somewhere to go.
Thanks Emma, glad so many have liked the dice. I'm not 100% happy with it but probably mainly because I didn't get the shot in the way that I imagined but also a few technical errors that I know are there.

The dice shot is great, looks like you've inspired quite a few to have a go.

(y)

I really like that, nice contrast between the muted colours of whatever that is and the spark.

Back