weekly Susiejb 52 in 2015 Christmas ...and that's me finished for 2015

Your nature shots always impress me Susie and you've got two crackers here with Alphabet and Sound. The blue bg works perfectly against the bright yellow flowers and you've captured lots of lovely detail in the flowers and buds. Love all the bubbles in the pond shot - I can really imagine the sound of running water :clap:

Perfect for the theme susie ... fresh, clean, natural, healthy ... I can hear it too!

Thanks d00d (y)

Great interpretation for Sound, I can hear (and smell) the freshness of the running water. (y)

Thanks Jill ...good to hear I captured 'the moment'.

Hi Susie, nice montage of flowers for alphabet nice idea to show different aspects of the same flower

sound i can hear that water too, nice focus on the water

Thanks Alan ....it's difficult to think of something at times, but hopefully I picked the right subjects

Hi Susie,

Sound - another clever idea. I love the sound of splashing water, and you've caught just enough movement in the water too (y)

Thanks Lorraine :)

Hi Susie.....

Your Alphabet floral montage is lovely , like the differing angles , the blue you've chosen to set them against & the different stages of a flowers life cycle...in fact I like everything about it :clap:

Sound....well captured flowing water ,the foliage in the bg works for me :clap:

Thanks Lynne ...I really enjoyed doing the flower one.

:agree:
Lovely set for your alphabet flower Super idea all well shot.
Not normally a fan of running water shots but really like that its focused well on the bubbles nice feel of water flow and the oof greenery adds that final piece to bring together a really good picture. :clap:

Thanks Simon....it's case of wracking my brains at the moment to think of ideas.

Your nature shots always impress me Susie and you've got two crackers here with Alphabet and Sound. The blue bg works perfectly against the bright yellow flowers and you've captured lots of lovely detail in the flowers and buds. Love all the bubbles in the pond shot - I can really imagine the sound of running water :clap:

Thanks Elaine ...I seem to be doing a lot of flowers lately and more to come this week :eek:...but then it is one of my favourite subjects so maybe I'm excused :)

A couple of Experiments from me ....opposite ends of the spectrum really ...one very sharp and in focus, and one hardly visible. I did a flower reflection on last year using just one water drop and I've been wanting for ages to try it out again, but to attempt multiple images, it's very frustrating....the water has a habit of dropping off just as you're about to take the photo :runaway:The second one is an idea that I love of Andy's @posiview from his project, putting the minimum in the photo, I really wanted to have a go at it....so I gave it a try :)

Experiments

Experiment TP15 by susiejb2, on Flickr

Experiment 2 TP15 by susiejb2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Susie, two good attempts at experiment the first one i am not particularly a fan of the process to be honest but you have done a good job of it (y)

I do like the second one though, i find it quite intriguing :clap:

Hi Susie, two good attempts at experiment the first one i am not particularly a fan of the process to be honest but you have done a good job of it (y)

I do like the second one though, i find it quite intriguing :clap:

Thanks for looking Allan ....the first one had been in my head for ages and was one one of those things I just 'had to do' :)
The second one, I started off trying to get flowers captured in oil in water ...there's one on my Flickr ....but it was really hard ...the second one is taken through the oil and water and I had a fiddle around with it taking all the colour out of it. It passed a very rainy afternoon, I enjoyed doing this weeks challenge :)

Experiment.......That first shot is an absolute blinder. I love it. The refraction images are so dainty.

Heat....Excellent take on the theme.
Carry yer bag Mrs? :)

Hi Susie,

Experiment - I love the first shot - stunning. I'm not so keen on the second - I'm finding it difficult to process what it is in my head - sorry!

I like your hear shot too - nice montage and well on theme :)

oo love your experiments - kudos for the droplets, I've tried many times to do this and always failed :(

heat - this idea flitted across my mind too :) the red and green bg seems a bit over-saturated tho - is making my eyes go funny lol - maybe just my screen though :clap:

Hi Susie,

Experiment - I love the first shot - stunning. I'm not so keen on the second - I'm finding it difficult to process what it is in my head - sorry!

I like your hear shot too - nice montage and well on theme :)

Thanks Lorraine ....I was just messing really with the second one and thought it fitted the theme, glad you like the first one :)

oo love your experiments - kudos for the droplets, I've tried many times to do this and always failed :(

heat - this idea flitted across my mind too :) the red and green bg seems a bit over-saturated tho - is making my eyes go funny lol - maybe just my screen though :clap:

Thanks summer it does take a lot of patience as the drops have a habit of falling off :eek:
I knew I'd pushed heat to the limit ....I wanted it to be dazzling :D
Much appreciate you looking in.

Thanks Ruth, glad you like that one.

Four weeks tomorrow till my holiday .....not that I'm counting the days or anything :)

Oh no no...perish the thought :LOL:

Hi Susie

Love your Experiment #1 ... I do remember: "I did a flower reflection on last year using just one water drop and I've been wanting for ages to try it out again" ... won you a prize at your local camera club, did it not! With this one, I might have been tempted to crop-to-zoom ... losing the two outside droplets, leaving the five.

Experiment #2 ... hmmm a bit subtle for me.

Heat tells a story ... a bit OTT ... loads of colour contrast, packing everything into the picture like that. Def says summer holiday, says heat.

Hi Susie

Love your Experiment #1 ... I do remember: "I did a flower reflection on last year using just one water drop and I've been wanting for ages to try it out again" ... won you a prize at your local camera club, did it not! With this one, I might have been tempted to crop-to-zoom ... losing the two outside droplets, leaving the five.

Experiment #2 ... hmmm a bit subtle for me.

Heat tells a story ... a bit OTT ... loads of colour contrast, packing everything into the picture like that. Def says summer holiday, says heat.

Thanks for looking in @d00d ...yes I did manage a silver for a raindrop one (not the one you mention, but it is one I used last year in my 52), it's actually in this quarters Cornwall Wildlife Magazine ....how nice is that :) really chuffed.

Yes I thought about a crop but after getting all those drops not to drip off, it seemed a waste of effort to chop some off. Exp.2 I do love this idea ...but haven't quite mastered what I want to do...it's a challenge to myself (again).

Heat ...bit dazzling isn't it, but I wanted it to look vibrant :wideyed:

Hi Susie good different take on the theme, you have all the elements in there and a nice composition too (y)

Hey Susie :)

Experiments - Oooo it has to be the first image for me, nicely lined up shot, good colours and very effective all round - like it lots (y)

Heat - And that brings a smile and hopes of using some this year, a lovely holiday/summer image, perfect for the theme :)

Experiment, I love both of these Susie (what patience you have :angelic:) #1 looks so complicated and #2 looks so simple and both have worked well (y)

Heat - what can I say, that's my summer survival kit :D Minor crit is the Avon bottle writing is a little OOF, maybe the angle?

Experiment #2 for me. It has a real dreamy feel to it. Yeah, I like it. Might have gone for a slightly different composition, I can see you've put the main flower on lower left third but with the other two flowers it feels a little unbalanced.

However, I like how it appears to be coming out of the screen.

Heat, another implied heat that makes me want to book another holiday :)

Cheers.

OMG was that far back I was here? TP52 seems to be an eternal catch up! Wait till you come back off holiday...

Rolling back to Close up Susie!
Close up.... Like that Bedruthan steps haven't been there for a while! Think I'm with Andy would have liked to have seen your feet. None the less a nice shot great colours in the sea lovely aquamarine blue against the golden sand.

Reshoot.... Thems working hands! Woods something I've never been 100% at but metal... Lovely shot this really like it! Normally you know when you see hands like them there's a wealth of knowledge and skill behind them. Great angle and lighting again, think I would have had the focus more on the plane end, I always focus manually stops that pesky autofocus telling you where it wants to focus.

Machine... Love the lighting you have here! In both shots, nice conversion, for me it's the sewing machine shot nice reflections like the angle works for me.

Alphabet... Really nice bright colour here, like that you have one image at the top of the frame a different size than the others seems to balance the frame, nice set of shots here, I can see where your passion lies;) Think the choice of background was spot on.

Sound... Nothing like the sound of flowing water in the garden is there! Nice stream of bubbles on the surface and glass like effect of the water. Just as an aside I see in one of your comments you say your flash doesn't go off in daylight, normally you can force it to on most cameras, using fill flash or there's normally an option to turn it on irrespective.

Experiment.... I absolutely love No1 I'd love to try that! Perhaps there will be an opportunity to work it into a TP theme;)
SWMBO laughed when I said I wanted to try it.... Apparently I wouldn't have the patiences.:rolleyes:. Excellent shot.

Hot... Guess your not planning to go where I went in March. Arctic.... Definitely wouldn't have fitted the theme. Bags of colour, lots of interest, sharp focus. Hope the weather is kind to you, and it's as hot as your stuff implies;) Works well for me!

Nice work Susie(y)

Hi Susie good different take on the theme, you have all the elements in there and a nice composition too (y)

Thanks Allan ...it was incredibly quick compared to how I normally faff about...it was more luck than judgement that it worked I think.

Hey Susie :)

Experiments - Oooo it has to be the first image for me, nicely lined up shot, good colours and very effective all round - like it lots (y)

Heat - And that brings a smile and hopes of using some this year, a lovely holiday/summer image, perfect for the theme :)

Hi DK...thanks for taking the time to comment, very much appreciated..... yes roll on the holidays :)

Experiment; two cracking shots you've taken there, Susie. Personally I prefer the first reflection shot, spot on focus and sharp.

Heat; good idea and I can just image the scene; sun, sea and sand and of course heat.

Thanks for looking Stan, pleased that you like them....the first one took a bit of doing but I think it paid off in the end.

Experiment, I love both of these Susie (what patience you have :angelic:) #1 looks so complicated and #2 looks so simple and both have worked well (y)

Heat - what can I say, that's my summer survival kit :D Minor crit is the Avon bottle writing is a little OOF, maybe the angle?

Hi Jill ...thank you....I do have lots of patience fortunately ....but I must admit it was running a bit thin in the end with that one.
Heat was a rush job ...otherwise the whole weekend would have been taken up with my camera o_O

Experiment #2 for me. It has a real dreamy feel to it. Yeah, I like it. Might have gone for a slightly different composition, I can see you've put the main flower on lower left third but with the other two flowers it feels a little unbalanced.

However, I like how it appears to be coming out of the screen.

Heat, another implied heat that makes me want to book another holiday :)

Cheers.

Hi Andy, the second shot was just one that happened...I was shooting through oil and water and that emerged, but I do like it and will definitely have another go at that, I'm really liking the softer look lately.

Holidays ...I said I wasn't counting but it's three weeks and three days till I go :D

Last edited:
OMG was that far back I was here? TP52 seems to be an eternal catch up! Wait till you come back off holiday...

Rolling back to Close up Susie!
Close up.... Like that Bedruthan steps haven't been there for a while! Think I'm with Andy would have liked to have seen your feet. None the less a nice shot great colours in the sea lovely aquamarine blue against the golden sand.

Reshoot.... Thems working hands! Woods something I've never been 100% at but metal... Lovely shot this really like it! Normally you know when you see hands like them there's a wealth of knowledge and skill behind them. Great angle and lighting again, think I would have had the focus more on the plane end, I always focus manually stops that pesky autofocus telling you where it wants to focus.

Machine... Love the lighting you have here! In both shots, nice conversion, for me it's the sewing machine shot nice reflections like the angle works for me.

Alphabet... Really nice bright colour here, like that you have one image at the top of the frame a different size than the others seems to balance the frame, nice set of shots here, I can see where your passion lies;) Think the choice of background was spot on.

Sound... Nothing like the sound of flowing water in the garden is there! Nice stream of bubbles on the surface and glass like effect of the water. Just as an aside I see in one of your comments you say your flash doesn't go off in daylight, normally you can force it to on most cameras, using fill flash or there's normally an option to turn it on irrespective.

Experiment.... I absolutely love No1 I'd love to try that! Perhaps there will be an opportunity to work it into a TP theme;)
SWMBO laughed when I said I wanted to try it.... Apparently I wouldn't have the patiences.:rolleyes:. Excellent shot.

Hot... Guess your not planning to go where I went in March. Arctic.... Definitely wouldn't have fitted the theme. Bags of colour, lots of interest, sharp focus. Hope the weather is kind to you, and it's as hot as your stuff implies;) Works well for me!

Nice work Susie(y)

Hi Steve @69Bonni ...yes, it is one long catch up isn't it, fortunately it's thinning out a bit, so it is getting slightly easier.

Thank you for taking so much time with your comments, very much appreciated. If you do try the reflections, a handy hint is to use some glycerine in the the water drops, it stops them dropping off quite so readily, but this still happens at the wrong moment :)

P1600857 by susiejb2, on Flickr

I don't like the cold ...but have seen some wonderful shots of the Arctic at my local Wildlife photography group....it looks amazing.

Hi Susie
That's great, thanks for the tip never thought of that! Going to have to try that when I get a moment:) Looks really effective.

Oh I'll tell you it was fantastic, I have fallen in love with Norway it's gorgeous, although I wouldn't swap UK for the world that would be my second home if I won the lottery.
One particular moment that moved me... We had just come down off a mountain one night via cable car it was blowing an absolute snow storm, we got down and it was just as though someone had turned the sound off.... Silent! We walked through the chalet style houses that had little lights in each window, all that could be heard is the crunch of my boots on the snow and as the breeze blew the snow off the roofs it was like someone blowing glitter off the roofs. Guess you had to be there. Really moved me... Just like Christmas should be here!
Cheers Susie .... Thanks for the tip(y)

Last edited:
Hi Susie
That's great, thanks for the tip never thought of that! Going to have to try that when I get a moment:) Looks really effective.

Oh I'll tell you it was fantastic, I have fallen in love with Norway it's gorgeous, although I wouldn't swap UK for the world that would be my second home if I won the lottery.
One particular moment that moved me... We had just come down off a mountain one night via cable car it was blowing an absolute snow storm, we got down and it was just as though someone had turned the sound off.... Silent! We walked through the chalet style houses that had little lights in each window, all that could be heard is the crunch of my boots on the snow and as the breeze blew the snow off the roofs it was like someone blowing glitter off the roofs. Guess you had to be there. Really moved me... Just like Christmas should be here!
Cheers Susie .... Thanks for the tip(y)

That sounds magical ....thanks for sharing that :)

Stunning shot for EXPERIMENT. Absolutely stunning.

HEAT - interesting take. I'm off to Gran canaria next week so thanks for helping with my shopping list!!!

Love your water droplets for Experiment, I'm not sure I would have the patience to get all the drops in the right place at the right time (y)

Heat - I did something similar for Bliss at the beginning of the year, but the colours you've used absolutely shout Heat to me:clap:

Love your water droplets for Experiment, I'm not sure I would have the patience to get all the drops in the right place at the right time (y)

Heat - I did something similar for Bliss at the beginning of the year, but the colours you've used absolutely shout Heat to me:clap:

Hi Elaine ...yes, the water drops can be fascinating, but frustrating at the same time.
I do remember your Bliss one as I loved it, I know mine was a bit the same but I was in a rush ...that's my excuse anyway :)

Running behind :eek:

Figures

19835762091_890586e9dc_c.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely picture, very emotive.

That took my breath away Susie, so atmospheric! A superb image (y)

Back