weekly susiejb 52 in 2017 Worn

Love these sorts of macro shots, bet it was really rewarding when you saw it and also when it came out so good. subject has nice curves, nice and sharp in the middle of the image where it needs to be, and really pleasingly constrasting earthy sandy colours. Great!

Thanks Dom ...it was handy that bit of sunlight came out just at the right time.

Hi Susie,
Hairy - The sloth image for me, the eye lashes are a bit on the soft side. As you say though, great idea and ideal for a re-shoot.
Smooth - The wet look does help make it look smooth, it's one of those abstract shots that works because it is so simple.
Good use of DoF, including oof seaweed in the background (y)
Taking my camera on the beach scares me. I don't like the idea of camera and sand, so fair play being brave enough to not only go on the beach, but to get down low for that PoV.

Thanks Tim, I have one of those fold out viewing screens .... it really helps with a low perspective. I live about 500 yards from the beach .... it would be a shame not to enjoy it :)

Hairy - love the first image, loving the POV makes the image work well.

Smooth - Very smooth looking indeed, and well done for getting out and about to find something for the theme.

Thanks Mandy, I was getting a bit fed up of doing indoor stuff ... lovely to be out in the fresh air.

...Thanks DK @Dark Knight I'm struggling with the soft water ...I have tried, not sure if it's my camera or me, but it always lets far too much light in and I just end up with a really bright image. I did try some of the small waterfall on our pond and they were slightly better as it's more shaded. I'd love to do the smooth water, they look fabulous when they're done properly.
At least you are trying Suz that's the main thing :)

What settings do you put your camera on to get over exposure ??

At least you are trying Suz that's the main thing :)

What settings do you put your camera on to get over exposure ??

Thank you for the comment DK because it's made me go and take another look at doing this, I couldn't find any of the old photos to check settings as I'd binned them, so I made a fresh start on looking how to do it.

I've learn some important lessons... one ... you must use a tripod, two ... its definitely better using a remote shutter, and three ... you must use manual not auto focus. So after lots of fiddling and some totally black photos I managed to get the settings on what seemed to be right.
I set my camera on manual, the iso at 160 which is the lowest, the shutter speed on 1 and the aperture on 22. I only had the waterfall in the garden to practice on but it was moving water so very handy.

I need to get down to the beach and get set up ...not sure if the weather is on my side this week, but I'm determined to give it another go :)

32611811075_801fb7e500_z.jpg

Thank you for the comment DK because it's made me go and take another look at doing this, I couldn't find any of the old photos to check settings as I'd binned them, so I made a fresh start on looking how to do it.

I've learn some important lessons... one ... you must use a tripod, two ... its definitely better using a remote shutter, and three ... you must use manual not auto focus. So after lots of fiddling and some totally black photos I managed to get the settings on what seemed to be right.
I set my camera on manual, the iso at 160 which is the lowest, the shutter speed on 1 and the aperture on 22. I only had the waterfall in the garden to practice on but it was moving water so very handy.

I need to get down to the beach and get set up ...not sure if the weather is on my side this week, but I'm determined to give it another go :)

View attachment 94869
Nice one Susie :clap:

Yes that exposure looks good, stopping down to f22 giving you 1 second exposure is pretty good, you will be surprised how much that will smooth out the pools at the beach or even the sea... good luck (y)

Great find, nice combination of textures, nice low PoV and great DoF!

Lovely colours and nice texture on the sand, nice low angle. Hope you didn't get wet knees :D

Gorgeous colours on that seaweed and I like the way the smoothness contrasts with the gritty sand. Looking forward to seeing some of your water shots if you have a play :)

Thanks Emma ...I just have to pluck up courage to take my tripod on the beach and look as if I know what I'm doing :)

Great find, nice combination of textures, nice low PoV and great DoF!

Thanks Bernd.

Lovely colours and nice texture on the sand, nice low angle. Hope you didn't get wet knees :D

Thanks Georgina ...fortunately my camera has a flip out rotating viewing screen, very handy for things like this :)

I've faffed and fiddled with this since Saturday, so this is definitely it for Mineral.
Home grown magnesium sulfate crystals, what it really needed was photo stacking, the crystal strands are sooooo fine, but I couldn't quite muster up the enthusiasm to set it all up, and then it might not work :thinking:

Mineral
Mineral TP 17 by Susiejb, on Flickr

I think it makes for a really intriguing image like something off a sci-fi movie, great colours and well worth the effort I think.

You are being a bit overcritical, you have done really well with it, I like the colour tones in it

Doesn't need focus stacking Susie ... looks good as is. Love the colour variance. Brilliant abstract - not many (any?) grew their own Mineral so :jaffa:

Focus stacking or not, I really do like this shot Susie. Love the lighting and colour in the shot (y)

Thank you Dave :)

I think it makes for a really intriguing image like something off a sci-fi movie, great colours and well worth the effort I think.

Thanks Chris (y)

Lovely colour and structure in the crystals, I like that alot.

Thanks Mark :)

You are being a bit overcritical, you have done really well with it, I like the colour tones in it

Thanks Allan ..glad you like it.

:clap: for the patient waiting for the mineral to grow. I like the shot as is and works very well.

Thanks Stan (y)

Great and bonuses for growing the crystal yourself, might have to try it with the kids sometime.

Love the colours, it looks like some sort of sci-fi spider web

Yes, it's good fun Steve ...my grandson was here on Sunday and was intrigued by it.
Doesn't need focus stacking Susie ... looks good as is. Love the colour variance. Brilliant abstract - not many (any?) grew their own Mineral so :jaffa:

Thanks Carl ...I like to be unique :D and a jaffa cake ...yummy :)

Working on it since Saturday, such TP dedication. The result is good, you must be chuffed. :clap:

and now ............. garlic :D

That is dedication growing your own. May I ask how long does it takes ? Looks so fragile, beautiful colours too.

Cheers
Kath

Pretty psychedelic shapes and colours. Works well.

Thanks Dominic (y)

That is dedication growing your own. May I ask how long does it takes ? Looks so fragile, beautiful colours too.

Cheers
Kath

Thanks Kath, they start to grow after a few hours but are best left at least overnight, if you dangle a piece of cotton in the water they're much easier to remove from the container without breaking them. you can use food colouring to add colour or add it PP.

Thanks Susie, for some reason I thought They would take longer. Will have to try this sometime.

Cheer
Kath

I like your submission for mineral, lovely colours and symmetry. I might have added a touch of vignetting to contain the picture, but I'm a fan of the vignette...

How I missed the crystals no idea but they are very interesting and colourful. The tangerines are very whole and the green is perfect for the orange colour.(y)

Those three colours go so well together. Lovely sweet juicy fruit . nice soft shades and shadows too.

How I missed the crystals no idea but they are very interesting and colourful. The tangerines are very whole and the green is perfect for the orange colour.(y)

Thanks Shirley :)

Those three colours go so well together. Lovely sweet juicy fruit . nice soft shades and shadows too.

Thanks Carl ....I'm hoping the fact they have a stalk and leaves make them look more whole o_O half term this week so grandkids will have my attention .... I needed to get something on quick.

Nice colours Susie and you are right the leaves and stalk do make them look more whole, have a nice week with the grandchildren

Nice colours Susie and you are right the leaves and stalk do make them look more whole, have a nice week with the grandchildren

Thanks Allan, just been out to lunch with the grandaughters, just have the grandsons age 7 and 4 to contend with next week :eek:

Hi Susie

I'm liking the mineral image as it is, I do not think it needs stacking, love the colours :)

Whole - Not sure on the background colour, although it is nicely lit and the fruit and leaf colours are nice and vibrant, nice idea :)

Thanks DK ...seems as if the mineral generally met with approval without stacking ....phew that's a relief!
The background ....I thought it looked bright, and blue, and sunny, and Mediterranean.... you can tell I'm thinking ...holidays :)

Great idea, nicely lit and very colourful and I like the background colour too. It doesn't look entirely sharp, but the may be due to the compression algorithm of the forum.

Mineral is a wonderful shot Susie - the colours and angles are fantastic :clap: I must look at how to grow those crystals - sounds like a project for home/school :) How did you light it? Those blues are fab!
Nice vibrant whole shot too - the bg colour works for me.

Lovely colours and I like the contrasting blue and orange. The focus seems a little off though, it seems to have picked up the top tangerine, I'm not sure if this was the intention. Possibly a slighter greater DOF to bring the front leaves into focus (y)

The crystal look great, love the colours and the details. I also like the narrow dof drawing your eye right into it.

Nice choice of colours, the blue, orange and green all work well with each other.

Great idea, nicely lit and very colourful and I like the background colour too. It doesn't look entirely sharp, but the may be due to the compression algorithm of the forum.

It may well be me Bernd ...I just wanted it done ...probably rushed it a bit.

Nice colours, and the leaves make it more whole.

Thanks Clive (y)

Whole, on theme and vivid colours.

Specular highlights do draw my eye a little.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy ...re highlights ....I originally cloned them out but it looked flat, they are just from normal daylight, I sometimes think they don't matter they just add to the image ...but I am no doubt completely technically wrong.

Mineral is a wonderful shot Susie - the colours and angles are fantastic :clap: I must look at how to grow those crystals - sounds like a project for home/school :) How did you light it? Those blues are fab!
Nice vibrant whole shot too - the bg colour works for me.

Thanks Emma I did do some coloured crystals but those particular ones were white and I added the colour PP. I only have a desk lamp for lighting nothing special :) The kids at school would love them, so easy to do.

Lovely colours and I like the contrasting blue and orange. The focus seems a little off though, it seems to have picked up the top tangerine, I'm not sure if this was the intention. Possibly a slighter greater DOF to bring the front leaves into focus (y)

Hi Chris ...yes you may be right about the focus ...as I mentioned to Bernd above ..I just wanted it done, so wasn't perhaps as fussy as I might have been.

The crystal look great, love the colours and the details. I also like the narrow dof drawing your eye right into it.

Nice choice of colours, the blue, orange and green all work well with each other.

Thank you ....much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Back