weekly susiejb 52 in 2017 Worn

Love the lighting and great use of DOF, I'd have been pleased with this one.

Nicely thought out and presented Susie, it works very well indeed. (y)

Thanks Chris (y)

I really like this, a very different take on the theme. The candle light is lovely :)

Thank you for looking in ...much appreciated :)

I may have to go the chocolate route yet but I like your different take on the theme. Good choice of verse and the candle light adds a nice warmth to the shot

Thanks Steve ...it do look very empty without the candle.

Love the lighting and great use of DOF, I'd have been pleased with this one.

Thanks Nick (y)

Very different take on the theme Susie. Love the soft light and the dof is spot on :clap::clap:

Thank you Jill :)

One of those funny weeks when I just couldn't settle on something that seemed right for the topic. Fiddled about with lots of ideas but In the end I decided on this one of my grandsons lovely long eyelashes, ...hairy ...well they are hair, but I feel it's a bit a a shoehorn, we did see this sloth at the zoo ...he is very hairy but he was curled in a ball and looked rather odd!

Hairy TP 2017 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Hairy Sloth by Susiejb, on Flickr

but he was curled in a ball and looked rather odd!
Trust me that is about all you ever see of Sloths, its a hard life :D

I still like it though (y)

I like your first shot and I don't think it's a shoehorn (maybe because I had the same idea :)), he's got lovely long lashes and you've got a nice angle to the shot.

#2 is a big ball of hair! Definitely hairy and although you can't see a face it's easily recognisable as a sloth.

Trust me that is about all you ever see of Sloths, its a hard life :D

I still like it though (y)

He did actually start to move but so slooooooowly we decided we didn't have all day to wait for him to 'strike a pose' :)

I like your first shot and I don't think it's a shoehorn (maybe because I had the same idea :)), he's got lovely long lashes and you've got a nice angle to the shot.

#2 is a big ball of hair! Definitely hairy and although you can't see a face it's easily recognisable as a sloth.

Thanks Steve ...it was a strange theme ...should have been easy but wasn't really o_O

Like the angle of the 1st one, and yes they are long eye lashes. Also like the curled up sloth, what a life they have sleep, sleep and move very slowly, well caught shots Susie :)

Thank you Dave (y)

Like the first one Susie, he looks peaceful, good choice for the theme

Nice idea for the first but I think it needs just a touch more DOF on the lashes.

The Sloth is very hairy, saving all it's energy. (y)

That's a lovely unusual portrait of your grandson Susie - beautiful long lashes; a picture of serenity. The hairball in the tree is good for the theme too but the minimalistic #1 is tops.

Great portrait (of the eye lashes) of your grandson! Pity it's a bit noisy but I assume he won't sleep in bright light? :)

Hmmmm hairy... The slough is not super identifiable, although perfect for the theme, so I tend to lean towards that nice face image, though that is possibly a tad too soft, Hmmmmm yes I'm going with the face, its the nice warm colour that swings it and the point of view :)

Like the first one Susie, he looks peaceful, good choice for the theme

Thanks Allan (y)

Nice idea for the first but I think it needs just a touch more DOF on the lashes.

The Sloth is very hairy, saving all it's energy. (y)

Those sloths certainly have an easy life :)

That's a lovely unusual portrait of your grandson Susie - beautiful long lashes; a picture of serenity. The hairball in the tree is good for the theme too but the minimalistic #1 is tops.

Thank you Carl ....much appreciated.

Great portrait (of the eye lashes) of your grandson! Pity it's a bit noisy but I assume he won't sleep in bright light? :)

I had to use a soft light, I really didn't want him to wake up with a camera poking in his eye :)

Hmmmm hairy... The slough is not super identifiable, although perfect for the theme, so I tend to lean towards that nice face image, though that is possibly a tad too soft, Hmmmmm yes I'm going with the face, its the nice warm colour that swings it and the point of view :)

Thanks DK, it's one of those weeks when I really wasn't happy with either photo, but just thought 'go for it' then I saw Steves wonderful eye photo and sunk into depression :( on a positive note, there's always a re-shoot :thinking:

Hey susie top idea for Hairy (the lashes), buy yes a bit soft. Looking forward to the reshoot. ;)

Hey susie top idea for Hairy (the lashes), buy yes a bit soft. Looking forward to the reshoot. ;)

Yes onwards and upwards ...I do actually have some less 'soft' pics ...might have a fiddle around with them next week.

I love the lashes one, more so than the sloth one. That tree is at bit awkward, it looks like the sloth's dingaling

Thanks Gremlin ....eeeeeek I didn't notice the branch, now I'll see it every time I look :oops: :$ I'm turning into Cobra :eek::police:

I was determined top get outside for this weeks topic and the forecast was a bit grim so I wrapped up against the wind and ventured on to the beach. From the house the pools of water looked beautifully smooth, but when I actually got there they were full of ripples, I hunted around for a smooth stone and there were none to be found, then I noticed this lovely shiny smooth seaweed, still wet from the tide so I went for that.

Smooth TP 2017 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wet seaweed(or something similar), nothing much smoother than that. Lovely tones and mixture of textures. (y)

Very nice Susie I like the rich colour of the seaweed, would never have thought of seaweed for the topic, a little crop maybe more landscape, probably just me though

That's great, lovely tones and textures in the sand and the glossy smoothness of the kelp make for a really pleasing composition. I could see that on a restaurant wall in your neck of the woods.

Beautiful light caught on that seaweed Susie - nice sharp edge to it too. Simple composition and very striking.

Really interesting, it would be smooth. What better than a slippery piece of seaweed.:clap:

Very smooth Susie :)

A very Smooth shot Susie, good focus on the main bit of seaweed, while the oof BG gives the shot a nice view (y)

Thanks Dave (y)

Wet seaweed(or something similar), nothing much smoother than that. Lovely tones and mixture of textures. (y)

Thanks Foggy :)

Very nice Susie I like the rich colour of the seaweed, would never have thought of seaweed for the topic, a little crop maybe more landscape, probably just me though

Thanks Allan ....is is cropped top and bottom, and I did crop it more but decided I liked it best like this, this slightly different landscape one is on my Flickr.
32191300500_5c4c46017e_z.jpg

That's great, lovely tones and textures in the sand and the glossy smoothness of the kelp make for a really pleasing composition. I could see that on a restaurant wall in your neck of the woods.

Thanks Chris ... much appreciated.

Beautiful light caught on that seaweed Susie - nice sharp edge to it too. Simple composition and very striking.

Thanks Carl :)

Nice shot for Smooth Susie, like the DOF and nice low angle too (y)

Thanks Nigel ...I like these low angle shots.

Really interesting, it would be smooth. What better than a slippery piece of seaweed.:clap:

Thanks for looking in Shirley.

Glorious beach life ... top job. (y)

Ta d00d ...must admit I do like life beside the sea :)

That works well Susie, shame about the water... was a long exposure not a possibility at all ?? - still, liking the difference of the seaweed you did choose it works very well, is well lit and a nice depth of field , I doubt a water shot would have been better :)

Love these sorts of macro shots, bet it was really rewarding when you saw it and also when it came out so good. subject has nice curves, nice and sharp in the middle of the image where it needs to be, and really pleasingly constrasting earthy sandy colours. Great!

Hi Susie,
Hairy - The sloth image for me, the eye lashes are a bit on the soft side. As you say though, great idea and ideal for a re-shoot.
Smooth - The wet look does help make it look smooth, it's one of those abstract shots that works because it is so simple.
Good use of DoF, including oof seaweed in the background (y)
Taking my camera on the beach scares me. I don't like the idea of camera and sand, so fair play being brave enough to not only go on the beach, but to get down low for that PoV.

Works for me Susie....

Thanks Mark (y)

Well spotted Susie and I wouldn't have thought of seaweed for the theme but fit well. Nice colour, composition and good dof. :clap:

Thank you Stan :)

That works well Susie, shame about the water... was a long exposure not a possibility at all ?? - still, liking the difference of the seaweed you did choose it works very well, is well lit and a nice depth of field , I doubt a water shot would have been better :)

Thanks DK @Dark Knight I'm struggling with the soft water ...I have tried, not sure if it's my camera or me, but it always lets far too much light in and I just end up with a really bright image. I did try some of the small waterfall on our pond and they were slightly better as it's more shaded. I'd love to do the smooth water, they look fabulous when they're done properly.

Last edited:
Back