Susiejb 52 in 2019 WHOLE

Open - colours look fine to me very tasty shot.
Distant - lovely image, I like the oof colours and the sharp detail

Great image Susie!
I have a fondness for these types of images too....I must have about 200-300 shots of bulrushes and assorted thistles taken in my local RSPB reserve.
Yours is superbly sharp with great detail and expert use of DoF.
Lovely, smooth background completes a terrific image!
Excellent!(y)

Thank you Gareth, thistles are very photogenic aren’t they.

Shoe-horn? Seems on theme to me Susie.
Lovely use of DoF to include some colour in the background but making it completely non distracting and allowing the seed-heads to pop from the image.

Thanks Tim, I was lucky with that background as there are some pink ‘elephant ears’ in flower at the moment ....the only bit of colour in the garden.

I agree with Tim, it's not really a shoe-horn given your explanation. It's a lovely study of the seed heads though, with sharp close-up details and those lovely muted colours in the OOF background.

I sympathise as we've had gales here since Friday and no chance to go out and get what I wanted. Fingers crossed it blows itself out soon!

Thanks Andrea, the skies have been so rubbish haven’t they, that’s why I settled for a close up.

I really like this image, the DOF is fantastic.

Thank you Jim.

Really interesting shot. Nice perspective and good use of DoF. There's so much detail, you can really spend a few minutes just looking at the texture and shapes of the sticky out bits (whatever their real names are!). Awesome stuff

Yes a few spiders webs are in there somewhere I think, I love Macro, thank you for looking in Carl.

Don’t think it’s a shoehorn, it’s a nice capture of a great idea. It amazes me what people think about the topic. I was looking to do Distant Shores being in St Lucia for a couple of weeks but couldn’t be bothered to leave the poolside St been too hot. Made do with a b&w shot of some distant clouds.

I'm loving the image Susie, no way is it a shoe horn. Think we are all waiting patiently for the warmer weather and remembering the lovely summer we had last year. Background colours are gorgeous. and the thistles are well sharp. Fantastic image.

Very nice, great colour and DOF, hopefully there is still a little of the white stuff here tomorrow so I can shoot something.

Oooohhhh the red of the berry really pops and makes the image. Love the bokeh which makes it even more cold looking.

Lovely work, Susie! The crisp textures of the snow, the bold red berry and the OOF background combine for a striking image. Like you, we don't get much snow near the sea (I'm heading off to the mountain now to see if there's any left up there!) so you've made the most of this opportunity. It's worth clicking through to Flickr as it does look even better on there.

It almost looks like a little red robin with his head stuck in the snow! It is lovely. Well done.

Nicely done - good bit of colour to the image plus nice bokeh. Good entry

Nice shot, love the colour popping and the dof .

Lovely, I like how the berry is isolated against the background. The shot fits the theme perfectly. It looks a tad dark to me, though that could be the screen on my tablet. Nice work.

Very nice shot. Well-positioned in the frame. Looks great!
Thank you Bob very much appreciated.

Having a look at cold on your Flickr the shot looks a lot better, great Dof and good red colour to go with the white of the snow.
Thanks Dave, I spotted it outside the bedroom window and really liked it.

Love the vibrant red coming through that ice
Thanks Allan, just in the right place at the right time.

Very nice, great colour and DOF, hopefully there is still a little of the white stuff here tomorrow so I can shoot something.
Thank you, our snow has all gone now!

Oooohhhh the red of the berry really pops and makes the image. Love the bokeh which makes it even more cold looking.
Thank you for looking in Mandy, much appreciated.

Amazing shot Susie!
Lovely, sharp and perfect for the theme.
The colour works well too.
Nice work.(y)
Thank you very much Gareth.

Great shot. colour works well.
Thank you.

Nicely framed Susie, I bet it wasnt long before the snow melted away ! The red berry against the background works well.
It hardly lasted a day! thanks Chris.

Lovely work, Susie! The crisp textures of the snow, the bold red berry and the OOF background combine for a striking image. Like you, we don't get much snow near the sea (I'm heading off to the mountain now to see if there's any left up there!) so you've made the most of this opportunity. It's worth clicking through to Flickr as it does look even better on there.
I think the sea air tends to melt it, but very exciting when its here Andrea, glad you like the photo.

It almost looks like a little red robin with his head stuck in the snow! It is lovely. Well done.
Thank you, much appreciated :)

Nicely done Susie.
Finding the red berry really made the shot.
Yes I just happened to spot it outside the window Tim ...very handy :)

Nicely done - good bit of colour to the image plus nice bokeh. Good entry
Thanks Ian , I appreciate your comments.

Nice shot, love the colour popping and the dof .
Thank you very much for looking in.

A lovely simple shot. Like the composition with that spot of red dead on centre.
Thank you Stan.

Lovely, I like how the berry is isolated against the background. The shot fits the theme perfectly. It looks a tad dark to me, though that could be the screen on my tablet. Nice work.
I find it a pain as everything looks different between my computer, my ipad and my phone! hopefully its okay, thank you for looking in Jon.

I'll just echo all of the above. What appeals to me is the single bold colour against the freshness of the ice. It's stark and strong, which emphasis the emotion (or in this case the sensation)

I'll just echo all of the above. What appeals to me is the single bold colour against the freshness of the ice. It's stark and strong, which emphasis the emotion (or in this case the sensation)

Thank you ...I was looking out of the window wondering what to choose for the topic and there it was looking so colourful and bright ...it’s a climbing rose so I had to hang out the window to take it!

Cold
Very nice, I think you could add a little more exposure and maybe add a bit of saturation on the berry.

Apologies for the lack of comments this week, BT have messed up our broadband and at the moment we have none except for my phone :( and reception is rubbish here.

I'm just scraping in this week ...I had some ideas but no time to get them sorted so a very quick one this afternoon. I'm doing the British Heart Foundation DECHOX ....no chocolate or cocoa products for the whole of February, as I am a complete chocoholic, my entry is:

(Desperately) WAITING FOR MARCH

Waiting TP19 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dechox what a crazy idea though I do like the idea of you torturing yourself by taking the picture.

Eat them, go on you know you want to :angelic:

Very creative take on the theme Susie, and a well executed image too.(y)
Be strong....you can do it....and don't forget, cake contains no chocolate....unless it's chocolate cake!
Hope they don't do a 'decake' thing....I like cake!!:LOL:

I'm a bit worried about BT too....they're switching me over to superfast at the weekend.
Though I'll probably be plunged into the dark ages knowing them!
I wonder if the internet will work with the string and tin can method!:LOL:

Dechox what a crazy idea though I do like the idea of you torturing yourself by taking the picture.

Eat them, go on you know you want to :angelic:

Nope ...I won’t give in :) I agree it’s a crazy idea, but it’s for a good cause. It was very tempting !!

Very creative take on the theme Susie, and a well executed image too.(y)
Be strong....you can do it....and don't forget, cake contains no chocolate....unless it's chocolate cake!
Hope they don't do a 'decake' thing....I like cake!!:LOL:

I'm a bit worried about BT too....they're switching me over to superfast at the weekend.
Though I'll probably be plunged into the dark ages knowing them!
I wonder if the internet will work with the string and tin can method!:LOL:

Thanks Gareth, I’ve had another email today to say broadband being connected on Monday ...that’s the fourth date so far :thinking: good luck with yours.

Very original idea. Nice and sharp. And the missing choc top right? Hmmmm!!

Hi Bob ...as if I would, the missing choc is underneath the sign tilting it slightly to help with reflections :)

Back