weekly Vanishedbob's 52 Thread 2020

A real stunner of a shot, best face we have had in the 52 this year IMHO. I really like this.

I know this shot kind of defeat the aim of this challenge of taking the photo during that week but I understand your thinking of hoping to get feedback and comments on this, to me, a very good candid shot. I like the rather harsh 'high contrast' processing it suits the subject face feature and the heavy lines quite well. If I being a bit picky, I would crop out a tiny bit off the left as the three white 'dots' are a bit distractive. But overall it a very good image.

Your image for Discarded may be an archive shot but it is dramatic and spot on for this theme. The brambles add foreground interest and give the (correct) impression that it is shut away and you can't get any closer.

For this week's image I would probably have got rid of the white intrusions down the left hand side as they are slightly distracting but the rest of it is a characterful candid portrait and the processing suits his face very well. I might have tried toning down the back of his hand slightly too but that's being picky as it's a striking image and leaps off the page. You should be pleased with it :)

Nice image for Snappers Choice I tend to agree with others about the background but other than that nothing wrong with that for me.

Week 6 Wild.

Bit of a rush job this week. Took this at Yeadon Tarn in Leeds on Saturday specifically for the "Wild" Theme. The Tarn is my go to place when wanting to get some varied snaps. It's directly at the side of the runway of an International Airport. It is the home to a Yacht Club, a Model Boat Club and home to plenty of wildlife. I didn't have much time to spare so had a walk around on Saturday and took a few photos. But there was nothing much going on and the wildlife didn't want to play ball. The start of Storm Caira has given some wild weather this week too, but nothing worthy of snapping. So I present the only half decent shot I was happy enough with from Saturday. I just like the way the one goose is showing any interest in what I am doing there.

IMG_8147-2 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

I think you were spotted David :D

Sorry, I am playing catch up.
You discarded photo is beautiful, I love the way you have edited it so the red bow line is so red so it stands out. The brambles add the untouchable essence. The only thing I may have done was try to remove the TV aerial .... it doesn’t detract your eye from the subject but my OCD Is saying maybe it should be there.
The geese don’t seem too concerned by the storms or the planes landing overhead and nearby. I think the composition fits well.

Yep - you've been spotted - nice shot for the theme.

Is he the one with ADD the rest are all looking the same way but he has been distracted by you.

The Wild Geese ;)

This was also an idea I had for the theme. A really nice image, perhaps the shadows could have been boosted a bit more?

Had a shocker this week. Struggled for inspiration and motivation. Had a trip to a local art gallery with the family at the weekend and took this. I'm not going to lie, It's here because It's the only photograph I have taken this week which could remotely fit the subject this week. I think it's a crap photo, The Broken aspect is the vanquished opponent. But I do quite like the Pope looking to enjoy his ringside seat which means I cropped it down heavily to make this more prominent.

I'm not fishing for compliment, I truly don't like this week's submission, so no obligation to be kind in the comments.

IMG_8219-5a by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wild - You were defiantly spotted! Great capture.

Broken - Nicely composed image you've handled the lighting well

Hi David

I like Broken, it does fit the theme with the explanation given. Great detail in the sculpture and well exposed. The Pope is a great extra to the image.

Pete

It's a very interesting take on the theme. We're all likely to struggle with inspiration at some point and you've put in some lateral thinking.

It works well as am. image, and as you say, the background adds greatly to it. :)

Think your broken shot is one of the best on the theme! Well taken and different. Screams broken relationship to me!;) Nice to see someone thinking out of the box rather than boring and predictable. Especially good considering the proximity to valentines days, wonder how many nights ended with a full on scrap rather than champagne and roses! For the obscurantists many right wing Catholics claim this current Pope has broken his covenant with God!

Last edited:
Broken - I assumed that her other arm was broken, I wasn't happy with my broken shot either but its done the sheet is ticked on to the next theme.

Week 8 Ability.

A bit late to the party for week 8.

This pic celebrates the ability of the tattooist who inked my arm. Me for putting a lifelong fear of needles and low pain threshold to one side and find the ability to man up and get my first tattoo at the grand old age of 50. And also find the ability to test my new tabletop tripod and use the canon app on my phone to work the shutter on my camera for the first time!

IMG_8540 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice piece of history to go with an imaginative image for the theme David.

Very nice - what's the significance of the 4 4 44 (if you don't mind the question?)
Thank you. It's my late Mother's date of birth. I don't know if it would have made a good tattoo had it not been a reoccurring number.

Very good shot for ability, super processing.

Week 9. Winter.

"Don't Blink!"

Rather typically, when I went out for this week, we had the first weekend sunshine for ages. After a walk on the banks of the River Aire, I eventually came across this small Cemetery in Horsforth. It had got quite overcast by this point and I thought the stone angel and the bare trees made good subject matter.

IMG_8823-4 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Back