weekly Viv1969's Try at 52....The Sequel....2016 Week 50, 51 & 52.... And finished

I love it. A great idea really well composed and shot.

Hi Ruth :)

Sorry, missed a few of your, so a quick catch up...

Metal - I love the mass of things going on in this shot, the DoF really help stop it feeling too busy, nice lighting and good detail too, really like it (y)

Captive - A simple shot but very effective, liking the lighting and composition of this one, the light on the links bring the arms together nicely for me :)

Miniature - Fantastic idea, love the little cotton real, a smart idea with the daisy's, spot on composition too, the surface/background sets the shot off perfectly (y)

Happy - Another cracking :)D) image, liking the little chick smile, good placement of the main subject again, a great start to your challenge this year !!!

Can't say I've seen many "draw a face on an egg" shots, maybe I've not been on the forum long enough yet...I really liked this as soon as I saw it on the main picture thread, it gave me a smile and certainly works for happy.

Love this :) brought a smile to my face for sure!

Love it! And the simplicity of the two little eyes and little turned up smile. (y)

I would have moved the white egg a slot further forward in the tray ... no sure why.

Thanks for popping in and commenting folks....it's much appreciated. :)

who knew that drawing a face on an egg was an old idea, I thought it was fun and original.
I agree with LC2 about the light on the white egg

who knew that drawing a face on an egg was an old idea, I thought it was fun and original.
I agree with LC2 about the light on the white egg

Thanks minx.
I say old because it's an idea I also used last year.

Abandoned.

Abandoned, like it. Nice and minimal with nothing to distract. Does have a sad feeling to it, as it should.

Can't help noticing that very small, white stone to the lover RH corner :geek:

Cheers.

HAHAhaha, do you work for the BBC?

There was a sketch many years ago on "drop the dead donkey" where a photo journalist had used the same shoe on several different assignments. I assume this is a reference? do I win a prize?

OOPs, hope I haven't offended you! :D

Abandoned, like it. Nice and minimal with nothing to distract. Does have a sad feeling to it, as it should.

Can't help noticing that very small, white stone to the lover RH corner :geek:

Cheers.

Bugger. Gonna have to get rid of that stone now!

HAHAhaha, do you work for the BBC?

There was a sketch many years ago on "drop the dead donkey" where a photo journalist had used the same shoe on several different assignments. I assume this is a reference? do I win a prize?

OOPs, hope I haven't offended you! :D

No offence taken lol
A) I've never seen Drop the Dead Donkey.
B) The shoe was simply sitting on the high street looking very sorry for itself when I was on my way to Starbucks. I had a barn in mind for my shot but the weather / sky didn't play ball.

A cleaver idea for the theme, Ruth. Like the simple composition and the shallow dof, the mono colour works well too.

Thank you.
I always wonder who doesn't notice they're missing a shoe!

I like this, DOF is perfect and the bricks form a nice geometric background. I had assumed the forsaken shoe was a prop but kudos on the random find.

Just had a look through the complete thread, what a nice collection so far.

I'm a sucker for black and white at the minute and like the way that your images are all simple, effective and with no distractions.

This has inspired me to think about how I can approach future weeks :)

Some great shots their for your 52, Ruth, the last one abandoned is a great take on the subject. Battered shoe looks well with the brick patterns that fade of nicely.

Works well Ruth, the DOF works really well in isolating the shoe (y)

Cheers Chris :)

I like this, DOF is perfect and the bricks form a nice geometric background. I had assumed the forsaken shoe was a prop but kudos on the random find.

Thanks Nick...much appreciated.

Just had a look through the complete thread, what a nice collection so far.

I'm a sucker for black and white at the minute and like the way that your images are all simple, effective and with no distractions.

This has inspired me to think about how I can approach future weeks :)

Thank you very much Lee. I like my pictures to reflect my self.....Simple!! :LOL:

Some great shots their for your 52, Ruth, the last one abandoned is a great take on the subject. Battered shoe looks well with the brick patterns that fade of nicely.

Thank you for looking Steve :)

Abandoned, very minimalistic Ruth, it works well (y)

Its a good job you got there before Prince Charming though, as he does have the habit of picking up single shoes, so I'm told :D

Wow! That is a great composition for the theme Ruth - like it a lot. Something about the opposing angles of the shoe and blockwork maybe that gives it added interest - just wouldn't look the same if both travelled in the same direction ! :clap:

Sorry Ruth

I missed your thread :wideyed:

Old - Great detail I love it and he/she defiantly looks old

Metal - Another cracking image some lovely lighting and detail

Captive - Great take on the theme like the B&W conversion

Miniature - Really like the simpleness of this image and the colours against the muted BG

Happy - Really like this a nice take on the theme. I like the fact that the egg with the face on is different the rest makes it really stand out.

Abandoned - Another great take on the theme and fits it perfectly some nice detail in there

Hi Ruth - I was sure I'd commented on your thread but apparently not!

Old - lovely spot and effective processing. Nice intro!
Metal - superb. Love the B&W with this and very carefully controlled lighting too. DOF spot on so all in all, an excellent photo.
Captive - a wonderful shot. Again, focal point selection, aperture and lighting all utterly fab. Love it.
Miniature - really amusing little set up for me. Background works well with the line and once again your DOF and lighting complement the composition perfectly.
Happy - you can see you've struggled for an idea on this one but still your setup is well captured. Maybe the OOF eggs towards the front and right of frame are slightly distracting, but a good job for what was a difficult theme.
Abandoned - great use of negative space and focus selection. Processing works well (could have stretched the white point if you'd wanted, perhaps) and a solid contribution for this theme.

Wow, are your photos good!! Sorry I can't crit more... your photos are hard to improve :)

I love your abandoned shoe! I realy contrasty, gritty shot. It almost looks like the shoe came off mid-stride and the owner just carried on.
Good DoF, focal point is spot on and a nice mono conversion.
The angles all seem right too, both objects are diagonal from the camera but not parallel with each other.

the framing, dof is spot on, perfect for the abandoned theme

Great composition for the abandoned theme, nothing to fault.

On topic and clearly abandoned. I like the b&w conversion and position of the shoe in the frame.

Question is, is someone walking around with a single shoe on? [emoji14]

Fab abandoned shot Ruth. I thought it was a prop but then saw you found it like that, must have been a good night out :eek:

Love the DOF on the abandoned shot, very simple but very nicely done

Abandoned, very minimalistic Ruth, it works well (y)

Its a good job you got there before Prince Charming though, as he does have the habit of picking up single shoes, so I'm told :D

Thanks Chris.....Not glass though!

A really good choice Ruth as other have said .... It's simple but very effective, composition and focus is spot on ... Well done for spotting that one :)

Thank you! :)

Wow! That is a great composition for the theme Ruth - like it a lot. Something about the opposing angles of the shoe and blockwork maybe that gives it added interest - just wouldn't look the same if both travelled in the same direction ! :clap:

Thank you.....much appreciated!

Sorry Ruth

I missed your thread :wideyed:

Old - Great detail I love it and he/she defiantly looks old

Metal - Another cracking image some lovely lighting and detail

Captive - Great take on the theme like the B&W conversion

Miniature - Really like the simpleness of this image and the colours against the muted BG

Happy - Really like this a nice take on the theme. I like the fact that the egg with the face on is different the rest makes it really stand out.

Abandoned - Another great take on the theme and fits it perfectly some nice detail in there

Probably my favourite Abandoned so far. :clap:

Oh wow....thank you for looking nd commenting.....much appreciated!

Hi Ruth - I was sure I'd commented on your thread but apparently not!

Old - lovely spot and effective processing. Nice intro!
Metal - superb. Love the B&W with this and very carefully controlled lighting too. DOF spot on so all in all, an excellent photo.
Captive - a wonderful shot. Again, focal point selection, aperture and lighting all utterly fab. Love it.
Miniature - really amusing little set up for me. Background works well with the line and once again your DOF and lighting complement the composition perfectly.
Happy - you can see you've struggled for an idea on this one but still your setup is well captured. Maybe the OOF eggs towards the front and right of frame are slightly distracting, but a good job for what was a difficult theme.
Abandoned - great use of negative space and focus selection. Processing works well (could have stretched the white point if you'd wanted, perhaps) and a solid contribution for this theme.

Wow, are your photos good!! Sorry I can't crit more... your photos are hard to improve :)

Wow.....thank you for that.....It's nice to know what people think!

I love your abandoned shoe! I realy contrasty, gritty shot. It almost looks like the shoe came off mid-stride and the owner just carried on.
Good DoF, focal point is spot on and a nice mono conversion.
The angles all seem right too, both objects are diagonal from the camera but not parallel with each other.

Many thanks....It looked ok at the time....just a little sad.

Another really strong shot Ruth - love the framing, dof is spot on, too and the emotion it brings is perfect for the theme.

Cheers....much appreciated.

looks good in B&W, good use of DOF,

Thank you!

Hey Ruth :)

Abandoned - Oooo liking that, the angle of the pavers along with the DoF draw my eye to the shoe nicely, looks to be the correct foot too, real nice image (y)

Thanks! I hadn't even noticed with foot!

the framing, dof is spot on, perfect for the abandoned theme

Many thanks :)

On topic and clearly abandoned. I like the b&w conversion and position of the shoe in the frame.

Question is, is someone walking around with a single shoe on? [emoji14]

Seriously...that was my thought.
Who doesn't notice they lost a shoe??

Fab abandoned shot Ruth. I thought it was a prop but then saw you found it like that, must have been a good night out :eek:

Thanks Jill.....A prop might have been easier!

Love the DOF on the abandoned shot, very simple but very nicely done

Many thanks....much appreciated!

Seriously...that was my thought.
Who doesn't notice they lost a shoe??

This might not be directly comparable, but my little daughter was in the carrier rucksack on my back and lost one of her wellies which fell off while she was asleep. Fortunately the local free paper put a message on facebook which my wife saw as someone had handed it in! :)

This might not be directly comparable, but my little daughter was in the carrier rucksack on my back and lost one of her wellies which fell off while she was asleep. Fortunately the local free paper put a message on facebook which my wife saw as someone had handed it in! :)

Ah, babies, yes...cases like that or a loss from a buggy, but a grown up person with big feet! :D
I'm thinking they may have been slightly the worse for wear, shall we say. :D

Camouflage......
Did another for this theme too, but I like this one bestest :D

Edit........Just for comparison, I thought I'd chuck in the colour version too.

Last edited:
:clap: .. could win a prize for bestest of the week.

You're on form Ruth ... loving your contributions.

Miniature: I really like it! Bright and cheery and such a cute subject. :)

Happy: Very minimalist and clever. I like the DoF and how only the happy egg is in focus.

Abandoned: Another minimalist kind of shot, and the feeling it evokes is spot on for the theme. I like! Lovely composition and I think the B&W works well!

Camouflage: Haha, really nice. You have really good ideas and this one is just brilliant!

Loving all your photos so far. Looking forward to more!

Camouflage, Eggcellent (y)
Is that a Shell suit its wearing BTW?

Clever idea Ruth, colour one for me :)

Back